Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm just curious , does anybody have any idea how much it costs apple to actually manufacture a 15 rmbp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ethanol posted:

I'm just curious , does anybody have any idea how much it costs apple to actually manufacture a 15 rmbp.

$76 canadian

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ethanol posted:

I'm seeing reports that a retina screen alone costs ~$160 each. The answer is probably "Significantly less than what you pay for it, but that's ignoring the cost of the supply chain which still needs to be paid off".

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I imagine the whole package probably costs around $400, with the screen being the most expensive part, followed by the CPU.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
A few years ago, when I was paying attention to AAPL, analysts were estimating gross profit margins around 30% on their laptops. This is very high compared to other computer manufacturers but well below their phone business.

Danger Man
Jun 29, 2004

Someone is Liable to Get Hurt
Can you connect two monitors to a new 13 inch MacBook Air?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Danger Man posted:

Can you connect two monitors to a new 13 inch MacBook Air?

Iirc it has a single thunderbolt port, so you'll need to buy a dock that has two video ports on it, but it might work with that. Alternately, if you're just looking for something for productivity, a USB3 DisplayLink adapter would work just fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

frrtbkr posted:

I have a late 2008 MBP that won't turn on anymore. Is the general consensus that it's not worth fixing? I took it to a potentially sketchy "premier" mac shop and they said it would need a new motherboard. I say potentially sketchy 'cause I think they were selling 2011/2013 macbooks / macbook pros as 2015 models at full rip. I took a picture but it might be too hard to read:

The specs listed on the sales sheet match the current rMBP offerings. Since the design of the rMBP hasn't changed since 2012 they probably didn't want to open a brand new laptop box every year for a laptop that looks exactly the same. Nothing shady about that.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

Where can you find a 10GbE card for less than several hundred dollars??

And I thought about the old Mac Pro option, but it's not very exciting to get gouged for old hardware that's deprecating fast.

The TB<->TB performance drop between Macs is kind of amazing.

here is one for under $20 http://www.ebay.com/itm/MNPA19-XTR-10GB-MELLANOX-CONNECTX-2-PCIe-X8-10Gbe-SFP-NETWORK-CARD-/131634470127

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

I'm gonna swap a 512GB SSD from a 2013 Air into my 2013 rMBP (which currently has a 256GB drive), pretty stoked.

Just got done.

On the left we have a 512GB 2013 MacBook Air, on the right a 256GB late-2013 MacBook Pro 13"

Get out the trusty iFixIt pentalobe and torx drivers. Bought these back in 2012 when I first did a swap on a Retina and have used them quite a few times since.

Opened up

The drives look almost the same other than some numbers on the chips.

Let's flip them over

There are 3 different types of screws holding the bottom plates of these two laptops on.

Put them back together and fire em up.

Success!

Being 2013's the drive was the same speed in the Air and the Pro.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How do you clone a drive on osx? Ive got a 2010 Mac Pro that i want to swap the os drive which is a 320gb hdd for a 500gb ssd, is there an easy way to do this?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

track day bro! posted:

How do you clone a drive on osx? Ive got a 2010 Mac Pro that i want to swap the os drive which is a 320gb hdd for a 500gb ssd, is there an easy way to do this?

SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Both cost money.

It is also likely that the SSD you buy will also provide software that will be able to clone your drive for free.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
OS X Disk Utility can clone a disk, there should be many adequate guides on google.

Although I do feel compelled to mention that while I've done this many times prior to El Capitan I haven't tried to use El Cap's new version of DU to do a clone yet. It's bad, so IDK how smooth the ride will be. Why Apple decided it would be a good idea to update an aging but useful program by removing functionality and making the UI bad is beyond me.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly new to macs and OSX in general, but it looks like I just need to go File>New Image>Image from XXX in disk util from recovery?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is it likely that Apple will release refreshed macbooks on the 21st?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MacBooks yes, MacBook Pro Retina we don't know but maybe, if you can wait than wait. There was discussion upthread basically like "Apple uses Intel's latest chips so they have to update to them eventually"

and a lot of people have been reporting supply dry up with various Macbook SKUs which means they want to drop a new one, which is the way it goes, but basically if you can wait - wait.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

OS X Disk Utility can clone a disk, there should be many adequate guides on google.

Although I do feel compelled to mention that while I've done this many times prior to El Capitan I haven't tried to use El Cap's new version of DU to do a clone yet. It's bad, so IDK how smooth the ride will be. Why Apple decided it would be a good idea to update an aging but useful program by removing functionality and making the UI bad is beyond me.

Can you elaborate on missing functionality? It was a little jarring at first to use the new Disk Utility but I think I basically like it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Pivo posted:

MacBooks yes, MacBook Pro Retina we don't know but maybe, if you can wait than wait. There was discussion upthread basically like "Apple uses Intel's latest chips so they have to update to them eventually"

and a lot of people have been reporting supply dry up with various Macbook SKUs which means they want to drop a new one, which is the way it goes, but basically if you can wait - wait.

Seconded, but there are multiple deals around... I think Bestbuy had or may have had $300 off coupon for current-gen Macbooks.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 14, 2016

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Well butter my biscuits, thanks!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Can you elaborate on missing functionality? It was a little jarring at first to use the new Disk Utility but I think I basically like it.

You can't use it to burn discs or do RAID stuff anymore.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

fleshweasel posted:

It also won't lock an encrypted internal drive anymore. You can unmount it, but it's mountable again without putting in the password. Older DU let you 'eject' internal drives and that would take them offline completely so that they couldn't be mounted again without the password.

New Disk Utility blows many goats.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Another one: just try to create a really small partition of a specific size on a large drive. I dare you. It will end in rage.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Another one: just try to create a really small partition of a specific size on a large drive. I dare you. It will end in rage.

This was me a few weeks ago. Try... Multiple partitions 💀💀💀

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Gave up on the new Disk Utility the first time I used it.

Weedle posted:

You can't use it to burn discs or do RAID stuff anymore.

BobHoward posted:

Thankfully diskutil still exists on the command line for stuff like this.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Binary Badger posted:

Apple only wants to support what they sold you, TRIM is enabled by default for devices that identify themselves as being made by Apple.

If Samsung made it, then it ain't made by Apple, and so OS X won't issue TRIM commands until you force it on with the trim force command.

Just about to buy 2.5 inch Sandisk SSD for girlfriends early 2011 Macbook Pro. I haven't decided whether to clone or do a fresh install. If I go the clone route is there any advantage to enabling TRIM on the HDD before I clone it to the SSD? If I go the fresh install route do I need a copy of OSX or will it boot to some kind of web interface that enables me to install it from the Apple store?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 15, 2016

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

KingEup posted:

Just about to buy 2.5 inch Sandisk SSD for girlfriends early 2011 Macbook Pro. I haven't decided whether to clone or do a fresh install. If I go the clone route is there any advantage to enabling TRIM on the HDD before I clone it to the SSD? If I go the fresh install route do I need a copy of OSX or will it boot to some kind of web interface that enables me to install it from the Apple store?

It won't hurt to enable it before cloning but make sure it's still enabled after cloning.

As for fresh installation, that machine is new enough to support Internet Recovery if the firmware's up to date. (It already should be if you / your girlfriend have been letting Apple's automatic updates install.) And yeah, Internet Recovery lets you just boot the thing with a completely blank drive and install OS X from an Internet download. All you have to do is enter enough information to get it connected to the internet. It's pretty slick but it will take a while unless you've got a real fast connection.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Newest model 13" rmbp. My mouse stutters when I hook up external monitors. I've tried the Dell u2415, the U3415w, and the Samsung 34" curved monitor as well.

Bizarelly, older displayport monitors work great. Had to backrev to U2412s to fix it.

Happens in BOTH OSX and boot camped Win 10, so feels like a hardware issue. Latest system firmware doesn't fix it.

Here's a bunch of customers (mostly) bitching about the same problem. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5478231?tstart=0

Anyone have a fix better than "open the OSD on the monitor, press up/down a few times, and close it" (which shockingly works btw, but only till it's reconnected)?

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I don't get it, I've been happily replacing spinning media on our older iMac's (2009-2013) for years with no issues using Samsung 850 Evo's, and all of a sudden the last 3 attempts I've made have been met with the dreaded '?' folder.

I have a 27-Inch iMac12,2 (Mid-2011) and the In-Line Digital Thermal Sensor from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/DIDIMACHDD11/), a brand new Samsung 850 Evo 512GB and a fresh USB Bootable copy of OS X EL Capitan, and I'm being greeted by the flashing '?' folder.

Am I doing something wrong? Did Apple gently caress over the latest copies of El Crapitan so they're not bootable? Any ideas?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

McDeth posted:

I don't get it, I've been happily replacing spinning media on our older iMac's (2009-2013) for years with no issues using Samsung 850 Evo's, and all of a sudden the last 3 attempts I've made have been met with the dreaded '?' folder.

I have a 27-Inch iMac12,2 (Mid-2011) and the In-Line Digital Thermal Sensor from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/DIDIMACHDD11/), a brand new Samsung 850 Evo 512GB and a fresh USB Bootable copy of OS X EL Capitan, and I'm being greeted by the flashing '?' folder.

Am I doing something wrong? Did Apple gently caress over the latest copies of El Crapitan so they're not bootable? Any ideas?
I installed an Evo 850 in my mac mini a couple of weeks ago and had no issues. I booted from the latest el capitan installer on a bootable USB and used el capitan's disk utility (gently caress EL CAPITAN'S DISK UTILITY BTW) to clone my internal drive to the SSD while it was in an enclosure. Then I popped the drive out of the enclosure and in to the mini, powered on, held option, selected the new ssd, and everything worked. It's a late 2014 mac mini but that shouldn't matter.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

McDeth posted:

Did you download your installer prior to February 14? Because Apple's signing cert expired and supposedly older installers simply won't work anymore. You have to download new copies signed by the new certificate.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In Apple related hardware news:

Broadcom, one of Apple's major WiFi hardware suppliers, has been bought out by a company called Avago Technologies.

An article in DigiTimes says that 'according to sources,' Broadcom is scaling down their Wi-Fi staff in favor of concentrating only on fiber-optics and server technology. Evidently Wi-Fi is too competitive and the margins too low for Broadcom's new management to bother with.

This has the potential to shake things up a bit, especially since Broadcom components are used in nearly every single Apple product, including iPads and iPhones.

From what I recall, Apple wasn't real happy with Atheros; at one time WiFi cards for Macs (desktops and laptops) were both Broadcom and Atheros based depending on what model Mac you were using, but I noticed they slowly phased out Atheros and stuck to Broadcom.

Wonder who they'll get to replace the main metal in the Airport Extreme / Time Capsule? Gonna be difficult to find a combo Bluetooth/WiFi chip that worked as well as Broadcoms... unless Apple winds up hiring all the Broadcom engineers and makes their own drat WiFi chips.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

unless Apple winds up hiring all the Broadcom engineers and makes their own drat WiFi chips.

My guess: Apple is buddy buddy with Intel. Intel wants to make the LTE modems for the iPhone. Could they make them a wifi chip for their computers?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
They make really good wi-fi adapters for laptops, so probably.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Any change might be slow in arriving. Unless Apple needs new features (new radio standard, reduced power, whatever), Broadcom's existing chips will still work fine, and Avago won't halt production as long as there's a buyer of Apple's size. Chip economics involve very high upfront costs paid long before first revenue, followed by years of earning back the investment and (hopefully) eventually turning a profit. They won't cut off existing products that have major design wins and are earning out. Design teams don't have much to do with a chip once it's in that stage of its life, so they can switch them to another product category while still selling the old stuff.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
This might gently caress over the raspberry Pi foundation though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob Morales posted:

My guess: Apple is buddy buddy with Intel. Intel wants to make the LTE modems for the iPhone. Could they make them a wifi chip for their computers?

This is my guess too. I can't imagine that making a phone wifi chip is that different from doing it in a laptop, with perhaps a stronger eye toward power efficiency.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Intel does currently offer WiFi / Bluetooth combo chips, but none of them work any faster than 867 Mbps as far as I can tell; I'm connected to my refurbished Airport Extreme 802.11ac right this very second at speeds that fluctuate between 1053 Mbps and 1300 Mbps.

Intel would have to get cracking to step up their game since I'm fairly sure Apple would never hear the end of it if they had to lower their wireless specs.

Chuck N. Awe
Oct 6, 2007

KS posted:

Newest model 13" rmbp. My mouse stutters when I hook up external monitors. I've tried the Dell u2415, the U3415w, and the Samsung 34" curved monitor as well.

Bizarelly, older displayport monitors work great. Had to backrev to U2412s to fix it.

Happens in BOTH OSX and boot camped Win 10, so feels like a hardware issue. Latest system firmware doesn't fix it.

Here's a bunch of customers (mostly) bitching about the same problem. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5478231?tstart=0

Anyone have a fix better than "open the OSD on the monitor, press up/down a few times, and close it" (which shockingly works btw, but only till it's reconnected)?

I have a variant of this on my Mac Mini 2014. When I turn on my TV/second monitor, watch a movie and then turn the TV off again, the mouse starts stuttering. Putting the computer to sleep for a few seconds fixes it.

The TV is for some reason registered as a projector.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I feel dumbly nervous about the event. I waited for an extra 2 months to buy a rMBP, and if there is not an refresh on that or the Air, then I will be pissed I missed the $300 off that came up a bit ago. It feels like Christmas is coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I bet the airs go away.

Upgraded 12". 13" rMBP gets slimmed down significantly, 15" slimmed down somewhat.