Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

With their colors and markings on their faces, the Pidgey line always reminded me of Kestrels rather than Ospreys. (Of course now I want a badass Flying/Water sea eagle physical attacker...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It always seemed stupid to me that the starters don't have at least the most basic elemental attacks when you first get them (except Chikorita starts with Razor Leaf, I think. One of the grass types does, anyways). It's not like you're fighting anything but Normal types for the first chunk anyways. Although I guess they did it to give you an actual chance in the first rival fight.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It always seemed stupid to me that the starters don't have at least the most basic elemental attacks when you first get them (except Chikorita starts with Razor Leaf, I think. One of the grass types does, anyways). It's not like you're fighting anything but Normal types for the first chunk anyways. Although I guess they did it to give you an actual chance in the first rival fight.

Level 8

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Ah, Falkner and Mud Slap. It only gets worse with Cyndaquil later on in the gyms though...I think most of us actually quit at the third gym. (I know it took me weeks to beat the leader the first time).
I'm going through my team again, and uh, yeah. I think I might just get a pokemon that can take down Scyther faster.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Silegna posted:

Ah, Falkner and Mud Slap. It only gets worse with Cyndaquil later on in the gyms though...I think most of us actually quit at the third gym. (I know it took me weeks to beat the leader the first time).
I'm going through my team again, and uh, yeah. I think I might just get a pokemon that can take down Scyther faster.

That's not specifically Cyndaquil's fault though, the third gym is a huge difficulty spike, especially since there's barely any grinding between 2 and 3.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

i think X and Y actually corrected that but i'm not sure offhand

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think X and Y actually corrected that but i'm not sure offhand

It did. ORAS, too.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It did. ORAS, too.

Yeah I may not have been super into Gen VI, but they did fix this. Having STAB moves in the early part of the game is great.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

(Swellow, with Guts ability, Facade and equipped with a Flame Orb to trigger both).

On the other hand, Guts just negates the Attack drop from the Burn status instead of being a bonus, so a Toxic Orb would result in a bigger power bonus at the cost of more HP loss.

Until Gen VI, apparently.

(As an aside, I love the Toxic Orb's Japanese name, dokudokudama. That's some alliteration.)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If you're keeping in Swellow for a while, then Flame Orb. If you're switching often, Toxic Orb. Really depends what you wanna do. And Guts ignores the Attack loss from Burn and boosts no matter the status.

I'm also wondering how I'll find Whitney with my planned team, since I've honestly never had too much trouble with her, though you do need to have a strategy in mind. She is definitely difficult, but if you just go in there all guns blazing, you'll probably get your rear end kicked.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

If you're keeping in Swellow for a while, then Flame Orb. If you're switching often, Toxic Orb. Really depends what you wanna do. And Guts ignores the Attack loss from Burn and boosts no matter the status.

I'm also wondering how I'll find Whitney with my planned team, since I've honestly never had too much trouble with her, though you do need to have a strategy in mind. She is definitely difficult, but if you just go in there all guns blazing, you'll probably get your rear end kicked.

I still can't believe in the remakes her miltank drinks its own milk.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

And if you stall, you get rolled. Smokescreen is the way to go with Cyndaquil (possibly Quilava by then), or Supersonic.

Or you can count on a Sesmic Toss with Metronome :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Or trade for that Machop in the department store, and laugh at how Miltank can't do anything to it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AweStriker posted:

(As an aside, I love the Toxic Orb's Japanese name, dokudokudama. That's some alliteration.)

by my terrible knowledge of Japanese that translates to me as 'Skull-Skull ball'

[e]:Cursory search tells me it's also a pun and can mean poison ball and gift ball.

(Bleach is also currently using this pun)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

by my terrible knowledge of Japanese that translates to me as 'Skull-Skull ball'

That's "dokuro." "doku" is "poison."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Some Numbers posted:

That's "dokuro." "doku" is "poison."

I like my translation better :colbert: Reminds me of a Weezing.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Wouldn't that Miltank be trounced by any old Geodude from a cave?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Aithon posted:

Wouldn't that Miltank be trounced by any old Geodude from a cave?

Honestly, yes, sufficiently leveled. I did a crystal nuzlocke years and years ago on another forum, and my Geodude tanked four hits in a row from that Miltank's rollout and delivered the win.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
a lot of gyms have a weakness available somewhere nearby, it's weirder when they don't because that's clearly a deliberate design decision they just decided to be inconsistent with

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 04: Pokegear, In-game Trades, Escaping and Updated Type Chart

So let's go over a few new additions since they're small enough to roll into one Side Notes. Let's go into the newest feature: the Pokegear. As mentioned, there's 32 numbers in these games and 73 in the remakes, due to expansive distribution of numbers in Kanto, along with all the Gym Leaders. While there's only 8 slots, annoyingly, it's relatively easy to switch them around. Having numbers comes with quite a few benefits, so let's go over them.

Firstly, there's a chance they'll call you every now and again. I've noticed this every time I changed the time using ~magic~ that I immediately got a call. And since there's only 8 numbers that have a chance to call you, it shouldn't happen too often. There are some cases where they'll offer a rematch. This doesn't apply to every trainer, they'll tell you how you could benefit from having their number. The number of rematch teams also vary: Joey has four teams, though he only sticks with one Pokemon that increases in level up to 37, whereas other trainers only have two or three rematch teams. This feature was expanded upon in the remakes, where you can only rematch trainers after the seventh badge and while it is random, you can call trainers at specific times to arrange a rematch no matter what. And later teams feature Pokemon from other regions, so it can be worth it, especially since they can get up there in levels. Joey, for instance, can be called Monday afternoon. 44 trainers can be rematched in this way, though one has a random time.

Another feature introduced in Crystal, is trainers given items on occasion, especially after rematches. This is a great way to get evolutionary stones (along with Shiny stones in the remakes), or rare items you couldn't otherwise get. Joey, for example, gives out HP Ups, while Wade hands out random berries and can even call if it's the day of the Bug Catching Contest. Then, finally, we have some trainers that call during swarms. Normally, you can find these Pokemon with a 1% encounter rate, but during a swarm, the area has a unique encounter table. This applies to Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Yanma, Tauros, Snubbull, Marill and Remoraid (In GS). Now let's move onto something else. We did an in-game trade last update. So let's go over them.

Firstly, we have the trades in Gold and Silver. There's not too many differences between Crystal, but let's see what's new in comparison to the Gen 1 trades. It's definitely interesting, with the options available, since all six offered Pokemon aren't easily obtainable, though some of the wanted Pokemon are pretty hard to find, such as a female Dragonair and a Chansey. I also believe it's the only trade that requires a Pokemon with a certain gender. Thankfully they never tried something like that again (I think). All Pokemon come with their own held item and have specific DVs, which aren't too amazing, since it goes HP/ATK/DEF/SPD/SPC. I'd love that Machop with a 3DV in Attack.

Then we have the trades in Crystal, with a few differences, such as requiring an Abra for a Machop instead of the easier to find Drowzee. Or a completely new trade at the Power Plant. The DVs have also been changed around slightly, but they're still not amazing. The note is about how the Haunter will evolve even if you give it an Everstone, so, uh, sure, whatever. Otherwise, these trades are okay, but nothing spectacular. Moving on.

In every Pokemon game, you have the ability to run away from every wild Pokemon. This has its own unique formula:

Where A is the Speed stat of your Pokemon, B is the Speed of the opposing Pokemon divided by 4 mod 256 and C is the number of times you've tried to escape from battle, including the current attempt. If your Pokemon attacks, this is reset to 0. If the resulting calculation is more than 255, you automatically escape, otherwise the game generates a number between 0 and 255 and if that is lower than F, then you escape. Otherwise, you don't escape and you lose your turn. Also, if B is 0, then you automatically escape instead of the game self imploding.

In this gen alone, some Pokemon have a base chance to flee every turn, no matter what, unless prevented by status or moves. They're divided into three groups: Grimer, Magnemite, Tangela, Mr. Mime, Eevee, Porygon, Dratini, Dragonair, Togetic, Unown, Umbreon, Snubbull and Heracross have a 10% chance to flee, while Cubone, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Quagsire, Delibird, Teddiursa and Phanpy have a 50% chance to flee. Finally, the three legendary dogs are guaranteed to flee every turn, though Suicune has a 0% chance to flee in Crystal. Some of these Pokemon cannot be encountered normally, so their chance to flee is meaningless. The Fast Ball was meant to work on all of these Pokemon, but is bugged to only affect the first three of the first table, making it 88% less effective in catching Pokemon. Grrrrrrrreat.

Finally, I figured that since I went over the type chart in the last LP, I should at least put in some changes. Firstly, we have two brand new types! Dark and Steel are alright types, they'll get a lot better later, but right now Dark has some alright attacking options, though being Special doesn't help much. And there aren't many available Dark types around to really use, but they are usable at least. While Steel is pretty good defensively, it doesn't have many good attacking options and having a Steel move doesn't offer much in terms of coverage. But they do contribute to the very slow and defensive metagame of Gen 2.

A few of the bugs have been fixed, so Ghost is now super effective against Psychic. The two new types do much to reduce how terrifying Psychic are, since they can't make effective use of the type coverage to get around them, though they are still plenty powerful. They're no longer the be all, end all of the type chart. There's also be a couple of tweaks, such as Fire now resisting Ice, Bug getting screwed over by now being resisted by Poison, but at least Poison is normal effectiveness against Bug, instead of both being super effective against each other. Gust is now Flyng, Sand Attack is now Ground, Karate Chop is now Fighting and Bite is now Dark, instead of all being Normal. Finally, Magnemite and Magneton are now Electric/Steel. Woo.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 29, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This thread and the other Pokemon LP is making me want to play these games again. What's the platform with the most Pokemon games? A 3DS?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

HardDisk posted:

This thread and the other Pokemon LP is making me want to play these games again. What's the platform with the most Pokemon games? A 3DS?

Yes - considering it can play normal DS games, and has Gen 1 on the E-shop now, so you have access to Gen 1, Gen 4, Gen 5, and Gen 6.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
A 3DS can play some version of every region except Orre, from the Eshop versions of Gen 1, Heart Gold and Soul Silver and ORAS. That's a lot of pokemon!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I love the trade Pokemon nicknames.

ROCKY
RUNNY
VOLTY
AEROY
paul

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It should surprise no one, but the Japanese names are also meaningful.

Buruburu (Onix): onomatopeia for shivering. Not too sure how that has to do with Onix, maybe it means something else too.
Kinniku (Machop): literally "muscle". Unsurprisingly the translation also went for MUSCLE.
Billy (Voltorb): from Voltorb's Japanese name, Biriridama. Comes from biribiri, sound for electric shock.
Dondoko (Rhydon): the only thing I can find is that Dondokodondon 「ドンドコドンドン」is the matsuri ji which is used in traditional Japanese music, in particular while performing with the taiko at Japanese festivals.
Pucchie (Aerodactyl): I have no idea. It seems to be a simple pet name, so it might be just that.
Kakeashi (Rapidash): literally "running fast". RUNNY conveys more or less the same meaning but man, it only makes me think of a runny nose.
Doris (Dodrio): it's...a real name similar enough to Dodrio, I guess. The translation keeps it as-is, too, so I doubt it has a hidden Japanese meaning.
Paul (Xatu): someone...really liked the Beatles? Once again, it's a real name, though it's nowhere near close to either Xatu or Natio, so I have no idea.
Tetsumaru (Magneton): literally "steel circle". -Maru is used at the end of names, though here it was seemingly added meaningfully since, well, Magneton is composed of three balls.

This is entirely out of my really lacking Japanese knowledge though, so don't take it as absolute truth. I might have mistakes.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
That thing about time changes is how I got through Crystal - I just registered a bunch of trainers who would rematch me and then went to talk to Mom about Daylight Savings Time. About 2/3 of the time someone would call me for a match after the conversation and away I'd fly. I also had a stockpile of dozens of any given evolution stone, it was a pretty sweet bug/glitch.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Paul (Xatu): someone...really liked the Beatles? Once again, it's a real name, though it's nowhere near close to either Xatu or Natio, so I have no idea.

The kana also can transliterate to the word "pole", and Xatu has some design elements from Native American totems. That could have been the original intent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pucchie (Aerodactyl): I have no idea. It seems to be a simple pet name, so it might be just that.

It's also the Japanese transliteration of the French word "petit," which means "small."

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
utterly mundane nicknames are also good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dragonair for a Rhydon or Dodrio

what even

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Looper posted:

utterly mundane nicknames are also good
The German Onix is named "Aaron", I remember that one. Forgot the Machop, never traded for anything else.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, yes, sufficiently leveled. I did a crystal nuzlocke years and years ago on another forum, and my Geodude tanked four hits in a row from that Miltank's rollout and delivered the win.

Going back on this, Geodude in general is really good early on. He can take out all three of the first gyms more or less on his own. Or rather her own, otherwise you risk the chance of being stun locked by the power of love. gently caress, Attract is just the dumbest move.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Those English names are so bad I want to punch the guy that decided that was good enough. Politely.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Simply Simon posted:

The German Onix is named "Aaron", I remember that one. Forgot the Machop, never traded for anything else.

Machop is HERAKLES, pretty sure.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yes - considering it can play normal DS games, and has Gen 1 on the E-shop now, so you have access to Gen 1, Gen 4, Gen 5, and Gen 6.

Technically Gen 3 as well, since its remakes are part of Gen 6. The only thing missing is Gen 2. Which I SO hope they put on the Eshop.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Silegna posted:

Technically Gen 3 as well, since its remakes are part of Gen 6. The only thing missing is Gen 2. Which I SO hope they put on the Eshop.

If you're going to count those, then you might as well count Gen 4's remakes of Gen 2.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah all regions are available on 3DS with OG Kanto added by the re-release. You've got Gen 4 with Sinnoh and Johto, Gen 5 for Unova and Gen 6 for Kalos and Hoenn.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So, then it's:

* FR/LG for Kanto no wait those are GBA remakes
* HG/SS for Johto (+ Kanto)
* OR/AS for Hoenn
* D/P/Pl for Sinnoh
* B/W for Unova
* X/Y for Kalos
* Sun/Moon for ???

So, only a proper Gen 1 remake is missing for the 3DS, not counting the Virtual Console versions. Are the VC versions just a straight port from the GB?

Added XY, forgot about those.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 14, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We're really missing the best region - Orre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HardDisk posted:

So, only a proper Gen 1 remake is missing for the 3DS, not counting the Virtual Console versions. Are the VC versions just a straight port from the GB?

Yup, the only change is that you can trade through wireless instead of needing a Link Cable for obvious reasons. Apart from that they're the same, glitches included.

• Locked thread