Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ket posted:

Must be Freepers

Nah, if you've spent any time in the Freep thread here in D&D you'll learn that all shooting sprees are in fact false flags. Freepers are poo poo-scared of actually doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Democracy via emotional blackmail is a a tawdry proposition; the political iteration of using threats of self-harm in a dysfunctional relationship. Given the upward trend of microaggressions, triggers and a conception of mental illness that threatens to pathologize every human emotion save validation, this line of argument reads like emotional blackmail: the political equivalent of threatening self-harm in a dysfunctional relationship.

I suppose we should also get the government to stop paying for hospitals. Also gently caress those black lung havers for emotionally manipulating us into having better standards of work for Miners nowadays.

gently caress those people that died from asbestosis for emotionally blackmailing us into having better standards for buildings. Julie Bishop was right to stand up to their emotionally manipulative bullshit which is why I have a shrine to her.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ket posted:

I suppose we should also get the government to stop paying for hospitals. Also gently caress those black lung havers for emotionally manipulating us into having better standards of work for Miners nowadays.

gently caress those people that died from asbestosis for emotionally blackmailing us into having better standards for buildings. Julie Bishop was right to stand up to their emotionally manipulative bullshit which is why I have a shrine to her.

Graic alt spotted. You won't get away with just changing refugees to miners.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Well he probably does have a shrine to her...

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Serrath posted:

Your recollection is narrow; Mardi Gras means a variety of things to a variety of people. I don't know how to explain this to someone who doesn't work in the field of metal health or doesn't interact with a lot of members of the gay community. Society is better than it was 50 years ago regarding bringing homosexuality to the public arena. It is a profoundly ignorant position, however, to conclude that society isn't still incredibly hostile to gay, lesbian, and trans peoples. The existence of Mardi Gras doesn't negate that experience

I'm sorry if it doesn't pass your bullshit test but I would strongly encourage you to talk to some people in the community and ask them their experiences on discrimination if you're of the view that there is sufficient visibility and acknowledgement to conclude that the age of homosexual discrimination is over.

I remember reading the unemployment stats for trans people is insanely high, like 90%

hooman posted:

You can have a democracy without having a plebiscite.

Especially given the Australian Christian Lobby has already asked for anti-discrimination laws to be temporarily suspended so they can "make their case".

Plus they'll have exemptions to anti-discrimination laws so they can continue to discriminate on the basis of sexuality, just as they do now.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Oh ffs fine. Data isn't racist, and since I'm just quoting Wikipedia

Wiki page.

quote:

According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of black victims killed by blacks.

AlphaDog posted:

Oh... you meant 13%, not ~3%. I get it. Carry on.

13% includes men, women, children and the elderly. I think it's pretty uncontroversial to say the vast majority of murderers are male - that leaves ~7%. I think it's safe to exclude toddlers and grandpa. If we remove anyone under 15 and over 65 (around 30% of the population) we get around 5%.

luckily the FBI has already done the hard work so we can get a more accurate picture. Let's arbitrarily pick ages 17-40 - that gives 4066 murders in that year by Black men 17-40, out of 10,113 murders where the race of the offender is known. Assuming the demographics of unsolved murders matches those of solved murders, that's about 40% of all murders, so not 50% like I threw out before.

The 2010 US Census gives population data. For the purposes of this shitpost let us assume the population hasn't changed much between 2010 and 2012. There are ~6.9 million Black Males aged 18-44 (yes we're excluding the 17 year olds, but counting the 41-44 year olds).

The USA 2010 population was 309.3 million, so this works at at ~2.2% of the population. For 40% of murders.

I honestly hope someone points a huge hole in my quick and dirty maths because these numbers are awful.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The hole is assuming race is the driving influence and not socioeconomic factors.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Nibbles! posted:

The hole is assuming race is the driving influence and not socioeconomic factors.

hooman posted:

Hey Libertycat remember how wrong you were about unemployment and the unemployed because you knew jack and poo poo about economics and based your opinions on feelings and morals rather than evidence.

What you're saying now is that all over again.

Swish! Three points from down town!

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Yes that was a stunning rebuttal of my "3% of the population commits around half of all murders" claim.

It's almost certainly cultural (I'd be surprised if poor whites killed at the same rate), but don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see rigorous gun control enforced on the Poors. At least that way effort is going to those most likely to commit violent crime.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Defending the indefensible, seems business as usual for the few who seem to think their foul opinions matter for poo poo, whether trolling or not.

Get hosed you worthless piles of poo poo IWC and LibertyShat, I like to think you type abhorrent nonsense to escape your lovely loving lives.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The solution is to ban blacks obviously.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LibertyCat posted:

Wiki page.

13% includes men, women, children and the elderly. I think it's pretty uncontroversial to say the vast majority of murderers are male - that leaves ~7%. I think it's safe to exclude toddlers and grandpa. If we remove anyone under 15 and over 65 (around 30% of the population) we get around 5%.

luckily the FBI has already done the hard work so we can get a more accurate picture. Let's arbitrarily pick ages 17-40 - that gives 4066 murders in that year by Black men 17-40, out of 10,113 murders where the race of the offender is known. Assuming the demographics of unsolved murders matches those of solved murders, that's about 40% of all murders, so not 50% like I threw out before.

The 2010 US Census gives population data. For the purposes of this shitpost let us assume the population hasn't changed much between 2010 and 2012. There are ~6.9 million Black Males aged 18-44 (yes we're excluding the 17 year olds, but counting the 41-44 year olds).

The USA 2010 population was 309.3 million, so this works at at ~2.2% of the population. For 40% of murders.

I honestly hope someone points a huge hole in my quick and dirty maths because these numbers are awful.

You know how your argument against gun prohibition was that the statistics were masking the fact that guns weren't necessarily the problem, and how this race tangent was supposed to show us lefties that statistics can lead to awful conclusions if looked at, at face value? Well that argument stops working when you make the case unironically that America's crime problem is a Black problem.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Imagine seriously believing what libertycat believes.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Negligent posted:

if you can't express your views without either "Google it" or saying something racist, you are probably a racist

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The argument also falls flat as even if you only account for the 'white' only murder rate the US is still 2-3x higher than other Western nations.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Well that argument stops working when you make the case unironically that America's crime problem is a Black problem.

It's quite likely a cultural/socioeconomic problem, which means if the USA simply banned poor people of all races from owning anything more than a 22lr, it'd work as well as any other form of gun control.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i am all for small government but wait, who then will protect me from the blacks?

truly i am laid low by my own lovely ideas and insecurities.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Redcordial posted:

Defending the indefensible, seems business as usual for the few who seem to think their foul opinions matter for poo poo, whether trolling or not.

Get hosed you worthless piles of poo poo IWC and LibertyShat, I like to think you type abhorrent nonsense to escape your lovely loving lives.

Negligent posted:

if you can't express your views without either "Google it" or saying something racist, you are probably a racist

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The fact this is a valid concern for you, means you probably should try just not being racist. :shrug:

hooman posted:

You can have a democracy without having a plebiscite.

Especially given the Australian Christian Lobby has already asked for anti-discrimination laws to be temporarily suspended so they can "make their case".

AlphaDog posted:

Oh... you meant 13%, not ~3%. I get it. Carry on ignoring the "For violent crime by race in 2011, 59.4% of those arrested were white" part though.

Serrath posted:

Your recollection is narrow; Mardi Gras means a variety of things to a variety of people. I don't know how to explain this to someone who doesn't work in the field of metal health or doesn't interact with a lot of members of the gay community. Society is better than it was 50 years ago regarding bringing homosexuality to the public arena. It is a profoundly ignorant position, however, to conclude that society isn't still incredibly hostile to gay, lesbian, and trans peoples. The existence of Mardi Gras doesn't negate that experience

I'm sorry if it doesn't pass your bullshit test but I would strongly encourage you to talk to some people in the community and ask them their experiences on discrimination if you're of the view that there is sufficient visibility and acknowledgement to conclude that the age of homosexual discrimination is over.

Oppressive views of any kind are bullshit and should be called out for what they are, which is poo poo. These are some replies which aren't poo poo, and do not spew hatred towards oppressed groups and or minorities, and these are just from this page alone. This is the correct approach to take towards matters in life, not hatred and blind ignorance you intrepid fools.

E: I started with a quote of mine own so you would know these are good posts and not the poo poo I'm speaking of, and yes Negligent said something enlightening... We should all learn from this.

Redcordial fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 14, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i am all for small government but wait, who then will protect me from the blacks?

Uhh private police forces, duh! Also as a libertarian and prospective wealthy elite I will buy up all the roads around 'urban communities' and build walls across them.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Redcordial posted:

Oppressive views of any kind are bullshit and should be called out for what they are, which is poo poo. These are some replies which aren't poo poo, and do not spew hatred towards oppressed groups and or minorities, and these are just from this page alone. This is the correct approach to take towards matters in life, not hatred and blind ignorance you intrepid fools.

Hang on a sec.

If I say "going by FBI and Census statistics, people who identify as Black Males between the ages 17-40 commit ~40% of all murders, despite being only ~3% of the population" - is that "spewing hatred"? If so, how?

Did I advocate treating people in this demographically, specifically, any differently?

To me the numbers say there is a problem that can hopefully be solved with education and further study into destroying the culture of violence - but burying your head in the sand because raw numbers are "racist" will never solve anything.

I'm done with this derail.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i am the 97%

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

Oh well, if you say so.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

Hang on a sec.

If I say "going by FBI and Census statistics, people who identify as Black Males between the ages 17-40 commit ~40% of all murders, despite being only ~3% of the population" - is that "spewing hatred"? If so, how?

Did I advocate treating people in this demographically, specifically, any differently?

To me the numbers say there is a problem that can hopefully be solved with education and further study into destroying the culture of violence - but burying your head in the sand because raw numbers are "racist" will never solve anything.

Taking raw numbers and presenting them as a function of race is racist.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
"actually race is the only factor" - a not racist

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

libertycat do you like anime

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Oh no, I'm not paying twice to post in this shithole.

Nice to see auspol taking the standard, 'Don't agree 100% with our opinion? That's because you're loving racist!' stance.

Dropping this as the default option obviously works well with the average punter.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

'around blacks, never relax'

wow looks like the auspol echo chamber is at it again, calling things racist. :eyeroll:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Just because you don't understand why it is racist doesn't mean it isn't racist.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Okay, and?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

This same sex marriage plebiscite is exactly why the left should be pushing for a clear and explicit bill of rights, so we don't have to go through another debate like this next time a minority group starts asking to be treated fairly.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Just because you don't understand why it is racist doesn't mean it isn't racist.

I'm happy to sit here all day and listen how racism has created terrible socio-economic conditions for minorities. However, I'm not interested in hearing that individual choices of people have no bearing on their fate because of the views of long dead white men.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 14, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/mar/15/bill-shorten-commits-labor-to-full-employment-goal

It would be pretty incredible if the ALP actually did commit to full employment. Would make them slightly more difficult to hate at least.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

LibertyCat posted:

Wiki page.

Hey LC, the Racial Realism thread is over there. They'd love to have you.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

open24hours posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/mar/15/bill-shorten-commits-labor-to-full-employment-goal

It would be pretty incredible if the ALP actually did commit to full employment. Would make them slightly more difficult to hate at least.

AMERICA AUSTRALIA WORKS

FUGM 2016

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It was only recently that I realised a huge, unspoken drive behind the Second Amendment wasn't "freedom from government tyranny" or whatever - the whole 18th century New England revolutionary war vibe - it was something that persisted well into the mid-19th century, which was the Southern slaveholders' fear of armed rebellion. There were some areas where black slaves outnumbered the white population 10 to 1 and the whites were petrified of an uprising.

And that's persisted well into the modern day. It never occurred to me before - maybe because American pop culture takes care to make the country look like a harmonious multicultural wonderland - but when they're talking about defending their homes from intruders, it's not white people they're imagining. I was in Alabama talking to a distant relative, and he was talking about how he'd set up a springloaded secret compartment in his truck that he keeps his Glock in, in case someone tries to carjack him. And at the same time he would occasionally drop references to "the blacks," just like, for example, my relatives in Perth will talk about "the Abos" with irritating regularity. And you realise that these people have this weird siege complex mentality because of the underclass that they - or at least their ancestors - were solely responsible for creating. I guess the difference in America is that the underclass makes up a much bigger chunk of the population, especially in the South.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Frogmanv2 posted:

Imagine seriously believing what libertycat believes.

:eyepop:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are you ready for some Australians.jpeg?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Auspol.png

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm happy to sit here all day and listen how racism has created terrible socio-economic conditions for minorities. However, I'm not interested in hearing that individual choices of people have no bearing on their fate because of the views of long dead white men.

LibertyCat posted:

Funny how it's always their choices when you want to blame someone, but it's never your choice when you get called on it. Well you made your choice, now own it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Graic Gabtar posted:

Oh no, I'm not paying twice to post in this shithole.

Nice to see auspol taking the standard, 'Don't agree 100% with our opinion? That's because you're loving racist!' stance.

Dropping this as the default option obviously works well with the average punter.

Slavoj zizek tells us that it is similar to the sunglasses in the movie They Live. You're born racist - it's part of who you are. You need to work to understand your inherited world view and realise that it's not until you beat the poo poo out of an unemployed black man in an alley that you can truly see your own racism and start working to help other white people

• Locked thread