Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Something real good. That movie crawled into my head and nested there for days. I think it's Moss's best performance yet.

She was really good.

I'm not sure I get the movie. It was difficult to watch because everyone was just awful to each other throughout the movie. There wasn't anyone remotely likable or relatable. Everyone was spiteful, petty and mean. Nothing felt real or nuanced to me.

Like...Is it supposed to be told from Catherine's perspective and we are just seeing her interpretation of the other characters, or is everyone just actually that awful to each other?

There were a couple of genuinely creepy moments like when she was talking to no one on the phone and when she had the breakdown at the party.

I just feel like the movie would have been more effective if Catherine and Virginia's relationship was handled differently. The flow of their conversations did not feel natural or real. I hated both of them and their weird, mean friendship, if you can even call it that.

Now I admit that I am a huge moron and it's possible that I just suck at watching movies. I'd love to hear some perspectives on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ehud posted:

Like...Is it supposed to be told from Catherine's perspective and we are just seeing her interpretation of the other characters...

I thought everything was heightened and distorted by being viewed through the lens of Catherine's nervous breakdown, but that the people were all being kind of smug and awful at the same time. Most of the other people in the movie were just indifferent born rich 20 somethings smelling weakness and being lovely for sport, but that Virginia's resentment for Catherine and assumption that she was just acting up for attention is what drove her to twist the knife over and over.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mysterious frankie posted:

I thought everything was heightened and distorted by being viewed through the lens of Catherine's nervous breakdown, but that the people were all being kind of smug and awful at the same time. Most of the other people in the movie were just indifferent born rich 20 somethings smelling weakness and being lovely for sport, but that Virginia's resentment for Catherine and assumption that she was just acting up for attention is what drove her to twist the knife over and over.

That makes sense.

On a similar note, how does Queen of Earth compare to They Look Like People?

That's on my list as well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I watched The Collectorand The Collection the other day and I'm glad I got to see them side by side. They were both completely ludicrously over the top to the point I broke into laughter a few times (my defensive reaction to my own discomfort at some body-horror scenes, and because it was super ridiculous). I'd recommend doing them back to back though to keep continuity between them.

I'm still trying to figure out how the gently caress that guy snuck into the house and set up all that poo poo in the space of like, one long evening after the contracting crew left their job site, in the first movie though.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

Ehud posted:

That makes sense.

On a similar note, how does Queen of Earth compare to They Look Like People?

That's on my list as well.

Some general similarities but very different IMO. Queen of Earth was basically about a friend's revenge gone too far. The flashbacks establish that, one year prior, Catherine was a total poo poo to Virginia, rubbing her success in her face while painting her as an entitled/privileged poo poo (like when she goes out her way to point out to everyone that it's not Virginia's house). In present day, things change: now Catherine has lost everything, and in doing so it exposes how weak her success truly was (all she had was her artist father and her boyfriend, two relationships that abruptly end). Virginia sees this as an opportunity to put Catherine in her own shoes for once, and takes advantage of it. The only thing is that Catherine has a complete nervous breakdown from it, and Virginia doesn't realize the extent of it until it's too late. So it's just a tale of these two friends with a very dysfunctional relationship, one founded on petty competitiveness rather than compassion.

They Look Like People has a more positive message about friendship and rides a line between watching someone succumb to their mental illness or full-on apocalyptic horror. In other words: QoE is more like a drama with horror/thriller elements, whereas TLLP is a horror with dramatic elements.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've never seen Kill List, but I've had this thought a lot. I also realize that not once have I ever somehow been convinced to like something by re-watching it. Maybe I'm alone here.

I'm basically the same but I went from being pretty eh on Kill List to really enjoying it on a second watch. Once you know what's coming it's easier to get lost in the amazing sense of dread and unease that movie creates I reckon.

Is The Signal (2014) any good? I've been meaning to watch it but it's proving a bit annoying to track down.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

PTizzle posted:

Is The Signal (2014) any good? I've been meaning to watch it but it's proving a bit annoying to track down.
The Signal (2014) is really enjoyable, but I felt it was more sci-fi than horror. While you're at it, go and catch the 2007 The Signal too!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Also reccing 10 Cloverfield Lane. It's very, very tautly written and excellently characterized. It's got the "common summer blockbuster movie premise from the POV of a random Joe who would realistically have no idea what the hell's going on" thing going on like the original Cloverfield but without its spiritual predecessor's found footage shakycam style. But I love that it carries on the idea of showing major tropes from the everyman's realistic (very limited) scope of information.

It's a J.J. Abrams-involved film so expect a very divisive, probably unsatisfying plot twist at the end (not-spoiler alert, right there) but it does nothing to dull the psychology of the first 90% of the movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My biggest problem with Cloverfield, and incidentally most horror movies, is the 20-30 minutes in the beginning they spend on absolutely pointless character development. It's even worse when the audience already knows what's going on and you have to watch the characters slowly figure it out. How is 10 Cloverfield Lane in that regard?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If a horror movie is good then 20 minutes of character development isn't pointless at all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basebf555 posted:

If a horror movie is good then 20 minutes of character development isn't pointless at all.

9 times out of 10 its just to establish that one character has a crush on another character, and possibly a third character is jealous. And then they all die anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

9 times out of 10 its just to establish that one character has a crush on another character, and possibly a third character is jealous. And then they all die anyway.

I said a good horror movie. Not a by-the-numbers slasher.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

My biggest problem with Cloverfield, and incidentally most horror movies, is the 20-30 minutes in the beginning they spend on absolutely pointless character development. It's even worse when the audience already knows what's going on and you have to watch the characters slowly figure it out. How is 10 Cloverfield Lane in that regard?

But arguably Cloverfield wouldn't be a horror movie, it was a (monster) action movie. It could've been a found footage version of Transformers' act 3 with the Decepticons trashing NYC and the average Joe would still have zero idea about what the hell this alien thing is doing. What a difference character POV makes, huh? And that was the point of the whole exercise.

10CL does have better writing for sure though and the character archetypes of "the bitch" and "the horror movie walking dead idiot" aren't there like they were in Cloverfield. Any normal horror elements that may or may not exist in the new movie's fictional universe are outside the bunker and incidental to the purpose of keeping some very clashing personalities stuck underground together for a few years.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 19, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who was "the bitch" in Cloverfield? Don't remember that character.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I just can't get into a movie when like 30% of it is people talking and doing not horror things. And don't even get me STARTED on those movies that are 90, even 100% non-horrific!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Watch AvP: Requiem and get back to me. Pointless Backstory: The Movie.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Watch AvP: Requiem and get back to me. Pointless Backstory: The Movie.

Noted psychological thriller Aliens vs Predator.

Edit: Point being that certain kinds of movies need more setup than others. AvP is not one of those movies, and definitely not one of the movies we're talking about here.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 19, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I suppose maybe he's referencing AvP: Requiem as a movie where everybody dies, therefore the 10-15 minutes of character poo poo at the beginning is pointless.

Except everybody doesn't die, and the backstories at the beginning of the movie explain why certain characters act the way they do, and survive. So its not really pointless at all...

Its a mediocre movie, but the character scenes(like the kid delivering the pizza)aren't the problem. Its enough of a live action comic book as it is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I agree i'm getting a bit off the rails here. Ever since I really started to grasp the concept of editing and how removing things from certain movies can make them better, it's something I think about a lot. Kinda like the scenes at the beginning of most zombie movies where they all have to figure out that bites infect you, and that shooting them in the head kills them. Or most of Godzilla.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 20, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who was "the bitch" in Cloverfield? Don't remember that character.

Lizzy Caplan was "the bitch" because she wouldn't gently caress TJ Miller.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I just saw "10 Cloverfield Lane" and I don't think it has that problem at all. This is not your typical horror, sci-fi thriller. In fact, it's hard to put any sort of label on it. I came out of the movie thinking I needed to watch it again to try to connect the dots because Goodman and Winstead did such a drat good job of making you care about their characters. I didn't even want to see the movie because I absolutely hate all of the found footage poo poo jobs that came after Blair Witch and I was afraid it was just going to be a sequel to Cloverfield. This movie was great. It's a well written and well acted masterpiece. Goodman's character is amazing. You don't know what he is or what he's capable of from one scene to the next. The theatre poster sums it up pretty well, "Monsters come in many forms" and you better be careful about which ones you choose to deal with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

Lizzy Caplan was "the bitch" because she wouldn't gently caress TJ Miller.

Bitch got what she deserved!!!!!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

justlikedunkirk posted:

They Look Like People has a more positive message about friendship and rides a line between watching someone succumb to their mental illness or full-on apocalyptic horror. In other words: QoE is more like a drama with horror/thriller elements, whereas TLLP is a horror with dramatic elements.

So is They Look Like people due for a DVD release or anything soon? I had a quick look and couldn't find anything on google about a release date or where to buy it and it came out last year at various points (Jan in the US/Aug in the UK). Seems odd i can't find it on amazon.co.uk yet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Bitch got what she deserved!!!!!

I assume this is a lovely Common Internet Opinion, right?

Because I didn't get that from the film at all, but can totally see certain groups of vocal people being dumb enough to react that way to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm just confused which character was meant to be "the bitch" in that movie.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

The audience

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

I assume this is a lovely Common Internet Opinion, right?

Because I didn't get that from the film at all, but can totally see certain groups of vocal people being dumb enough to react that way to it.

Yes, it's a bunch of bullshit that people who identify with the kind of pathetic person Miller played believe. It is not something I personally believe.

Diaper Bud
Apr 30, 2007
So I just finished watching They Look Like People, and it was okay. It was very tense and unsettling when it wasn't busy being a weird, like, Wiseauvian bromance.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I'm just confused which character was meant to be "the bitch" in that movie.

Marta. I'm not saying I personally think she was unreasonable but with her sarcasm, and relative aloofness, and gruesome death compared to the other friends (although they were still all friends) it seemed that the creators were paying homage to that horror archetype. It'd make sense to read it that way, seeing that Cloverfield was kinda exploring the line between an action movie against impossible odds and how that compares to seemingly unstoppable horror antagonists.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 21, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Time Dissolver posted:

I just can't get into a movie when like 30% of it is people talking and doing not horror things. And don't even get me STARTED on those movies that are 90, even 100% non-horrific!

Last Year at Marienbad would have been so much better if every scene ended with the guy from Pieces revving a chainsaw behind some trees to offset the non-horrific parts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeusExMachinima posted:

Marta. I'm not saying I personally think she was unreasonable but with her sarcasm, and relative aloofness, and gruesome death compared to the other friends (although they were still all friends) it seemed that the creators were paying homage to that horror archetype. It'd make sense to read it that way, seeing that Cloverfield was kinda exploring the line between an action movie against impossible odds and how that compares to seemingly unstoppable horror antagonists.

I don't read Marla that way at all, the character is portrayed in far too naturalistic a manner to be labeled that way.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Came across a new movie called The Survivalist, about a man scraping to survive in a never-described apocalyptic setting. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2580382/ I'm not sure why it's rated so low on IMDB, possibly because it's a lot like The Road in that there's almost no dialogue, and a lot of harsh, ugly poo poo happens.

The main plot is about the man meeting two women, and all three of them trying to figure out how to survive, and what hard choices they have to make. None of them ever really trust each other for most of the movie and once they do begin to trust, it gets worse.

It's not really horror although there are some really hard to watch scenes and some of your standard post-apoc stuff comes up here and there which definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat, and it's super bleak. I would strongly recommend it, even the coathanger abortion scene was really well done, because they relieved a lot of the tension and discomfort by cutting back and forth to a hare about to take the bait from a bear trap.

A lot better than The Road, imho (largely because the road was a badly televised version of the novel with a bunch of dumb poo poo added in), I hadn't realized how long I'd been tensed up and holding my breath until the movie was over.

Nominated for a BAFTA for outstanding directorial debut, and also won three different film awards as well.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 21, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Anyone here ever see The Wild Hunt? It was on Netflix for a while.

I really wonder if the writer/director is a major nerd because this is basically Apocalypse Now but with LARPers plays out way too many skeevy nerd types way too well. Apparently lots of the extras actually were reenactors or larpers soooo act what you know I guess. Long story short it's a fish out of a water setup with a not-nerdy guy going in to rescue his brother who's way too far in with a nerd cult? Or something?

The main antagonist does a pretty good Colonel Kurtz impression. The middle could've been done better, but everyone's eventual descent into madness in the woods one night all armed with medieval weapons ended up paying off pretty well. I think the greatest talent was in the directing and shot choices. Definitely not as good as something like It Follows writing-wise, but I had good fun watching it.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 29, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I really wonder if the writer/director is a major nerd because this is basically Apocalypse Now but with LARPers plays out way too many skeevy nerd types way too well. Apparently lots of the extras actually were reenactors or larpers soooo act what you know I guess. Long story short it's a fish out of a water setup with a not-nerdy guy going in to rescue his brother who's way too far in with a nerd cult? Or something?

The main antagonist does a pretty good Colonel Kurtz impression. The middle could've been done better, but everyone's eventual descent into madness in the woods one night all armed with medieval weapons ended up paying off pretty well. I think the greatest talent was in the directing and shot choices. Definitely not as good as something like It Follows writing-wise, but I had good fun watching it.

This sounds loving amazing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I saw this thread and looked for something on Netflix and saw this movie called The Hole. I decided to watch because of the spooky premise: bottomless hole gets found in basement of new house by kids, their worst fears come out of it and haunt them. It didn't precisely live up to my expectations, but it turned out to be an adorable little modern day Are You Afraid of the Dark or feature length Goosebumps movie. It turned out to be very emotionally sensible and tackled some serious stuff for kids. It wasn't a brilliant movie, but it was very smart for what it was. I would not suggest it to anyone looking for an actual horror/thriller film. Or if you really hate kid actors lol

If you have early teens who like to read those rl stine goosebumps books then this will be a good choice. Unless they are horribly traumatized by parental child abuse then you might want to check it out first.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I saw this thread and looked for something on Netflix and saw this movie called The Hole. I decided to watch because of the spooky premise: bottomless hole gets found in basement of new house by kids, their worst fears come out of it and haunt them. It didn't precisely live up to my expectations, but it turned out to be an adorable little modern day Are You Afraid of the Dark or feature length Goosebumps movie. It turned out to be very emotionally sensible and tackled some serious stuff for kids. It wasn't a brilliant movie, but it was very smart for what it was. I would not suggest it to anyone looking for an actual horror/thriller film. Or if you really hate kid actors lol

If you have early teens who like to read those rl stine goosebumps books then this will be a good choice. Unless they are horribly traumatized by parental child abuse then you might want to check it out first.

I really liked that movie and it made nice use of 3D when I saw it. It has that 80's kid-horror vibe (probably helped by the fact that it's a Joe Dante flick) and it features a young Haley Bennett of Hardcore Henry and The Booth At The End fame.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

This is movie is insane and awesome. The friend I watched it with and I still talk about it hushed whispers after we've been drinking for a bit. You can pay money for it on amazon right now.

I watched [b]Darkon[/b ]soon after seeing The Wild Hunt and Darkon is a much more depressing movie even though everyone lives.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Last night I watched 400 Days, a new high-concept sci-fi psychological thriller. It just became available in Redbox, and it's definitely worth the $1.61 rental.

It stars Brandon Routh, Caity Lotz (both from DC's Legends of Tomorrow and Arrow), washed-up hacky comedian Dane Cook, and some other guy as four astronauts who are going to spend 400 days in a space station simulation, to test how they will function on a real mission. Of course, things don't go according to plan. Tom Cavanagh (from The Flash) also appears later on in the movie.

I would love to know what other people thought of it, especially the ending.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Last night I watched 400 Days, a new high-concept sci-fi psychological thriller. It just became available in Redbox, and it's definitely worth the $1.61 rental.

It stars Brandon Routh, Caity Lotz (both from DC's Legends of Tomorrow and Arrow), washed-up hacky comedian Dane Cook, and some other guy as four astronauts who are going to spend 400 days in a space station simulation, to test how they will function on a real mission. Of course, things don't go according to plan. Tom Cavanagh (from The Flash) also appears later on in the movie.

I would love to know what other people thought of it, especially the ending.

Cool concept, weak execution. Even with the framing of "this is a private space experiment!" none of those characters could plausibly pass muster, especially on their psych exams. Not to mention, if the interior of your simulation is low budget (in-story), then why would ANY of these characters think that high quality "exteriors" would be feasible?

That said, always nice to see Tom Cavanaugh get a paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

InfiniteZero posted:

Last Year at Marienbad would have been so much better if every scene ended with the guy from Pieces revving a chainsaw behind some trees to offset the non-horrific parts.

This but unironically.

• Locked thread