Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Personally, I find having your dog die, especially during your childhood, to be a pretty unfunny experience but that's just me.

Anyway, by the end of the story, it's revealed that the dog was at some point resurrected, turned immortal and now runs the mafia. Grant Morrison, everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's...just kind of hosed up and creepy, honestly.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I always thought it meant he killed the dog when it tried to defend the girl. Seemed appropriately grim-dark.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm slightly confused who the kid getting hit with a bat is, he doesn't seem to be one of the Newsboy Army.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He's the kid with the football helmet.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

He didn't murder her. It's implied she died in childbirth (she's visibly pregnant in the pages leading up to that scene; he's hesitant to go on an adventure because he's about to go to college).

Also, 14 is old for a dog, and it's a great grim joke.

Edit: Ali shows regret in an issue of Zatanna I wanna say? Id have to redownload it to find the exact exchange, but the whole situation seemed like statutory and death from birth complications

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 28, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hup posted:

Yup, it's a great throwaway sad and comedic beat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

redbackground posted:

Yup, it's a great throwaway sad and comedic beat.
Dang. I thought it was 14 in "dog years" (so like a 3 year old mutt dying). A 14 year old dog is just sadness.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Gavok posted:

Anyway, by the end of the story, it's revealed that the dog was at some point resurrected, turned immortal and now runs the mafia. Grant Morrison, everybody.

Possibly also runs the US banking system according to Bulleteer #3.

hup posted:

He didn't murder her. It's implied she died in childbirth (she's visibly pregnant in the pages leading up to that scene; he's hesitant to go on an adventure because he's about to go to college).

Edit: Ali shows regret in an issue of Zatanna I wanna say? Id have to redownload it to find the exact exchange, but the whole situation seemed like statutory and death from birth complications

In Zatanna #3.

The whole Suzi thing is weird. We know what happens to every other member of the Newsboy Army, as in we actually see them in the story or get told their fate, except for her. She's just missing and labelled dead at 14 with no explanation for how it happens. Captain 7 is clearly labelled as a Child Murderer/Molester so the connotation is clear. A child who mysteriously dies, a connected character who is a child murderer.

However at the same time with Ali and Scarface's internal conflict over the matter you get the idea it might have not been so clear cut after the fact - though that could just be guilt over dooming a childhood best friend to some kind of magical hell even if they were caught red-handed. Additionally although Chop-Suzi was pregnant, it wasn't with Captain 7's children. The crossword in Seven Soldiers #1 has a clue that reveals the name of one of Suzie's twins, which is Lena - a nordic looking woman from Manhattan Guardian.

In summation, thanks a lot for making me go back and read Seven Soldiers again.

No, seriously, thanks a lot. I love Seven Soldiers and any excuse to read it is good. Also it was just under my signed issues of Flex Mentallo, so I got to read them again too!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Having the only woman in the group die off panel and only mentioned in relation to the men involved is pretty grim n gritty 90's, to be fair.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Having the only woman in the group die off panel and only mentioned in relation to the men involved is pretty grim n gritty 90's, to be fair.

Based off the picture there is two, and compared to the rest she got off pretty light.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
True fridging is the ultimate compliment, if you think about it,

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I bet Morrison dislikes the movie The Butterfly Effect because it didn't go far enough

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

bobkatt013 posted:

Based off the picture there is two, and compared to the rest she got off pretty light.

Yeah, she probably did the best aside from Millions in that she isn't dead or soon to be killed. She shows up in Bulleteer and as well as being a faded alcoholic she's also pretty much not developed at all (which I'm sure is a dig at the lack of development of female characters), both physically in terms of still being young even though it's decades later and in terms of her life in general as she's still on the super-hero scene as a C-list old hero attending conventions and being on panels.

Edit: To contribute so this page has some panels, Invisibles #12: Best Man Falls

It's the story of a man's life, told through a strange non-linear tale. It's hard to get across without posting the entire issue, but we see a man's life encapsulated. His birth, childhood traumas, love and hate. You see him when his childhood dog dies and when he cares for his disabled daughter. You see his flaws too and it all creates a character you can empathise with even if he's troubled.

The kicker?

It's also the story of his death. It turns out he's one of the faceless goons that a main character memorably shot dead in the very first issue. The issue ends with his death which you only now realise you saw a year ago and paid no attention to because he was just a random mook.

Issue #1:

Issue #12:

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 1, 2016

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

team overhead smash posted:

Possibly also runs the US banking system according to Bulleteer #3.

In Zatanna #3.

The whole Suzi thing is weird. We know what happens to every other member of the Newsboy Army, as in we actually see them in the story or get told their fate, except for her. She's just missing and labelled dead at 14 with no explanation for how it happens. Captain 7 is clearly labelled as a Child Murderer/Molester so the connotation is clear. A child who mysteriously dies, a connected character who is a child murderer.

However at the same time with Ali and Scarface's internal conflict over the matter you get the idea it might have not been so clear cut after the fact - though that could just be guilt over dooming a childhood best friend to some kind of magical hell even if they were caught red-handed. Additionally although Chop-Suzi was pregnant, it wasn't with Captain 7's children. The crossword in Seven Soldiers #1 has a clue that reveals the name of one of Suzie's twins, which is Lena - a nordic looking woman from Manhattan Guardian.

In summation, thanks a lot for making me go back and read Seven Soldiers again.

No, seriously, thanks a lot. I love Seven Soldiers and any excuse to read it is good. Also it was just under my signed issues of Flex Mentallo, so I got to read them again too!

Whoa, good catch, I completely forgot about that crossword answer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Badass thread reminded me of the Worlogog.

JSA #15

Extant (a.k.a. Hank Hall, formerly Hawk) has just escaped following his defeat at the hands of the JSA. Atom Smasher and Metron are in pursuit. Atom Smasher is losing it after his mother died in a plane crash 3 days ago.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That is like, supremely dickish. I get wanting your mother back but I can't feel great about someone not being able to save a plane full of people and immediately going "oh okay well can we at least save the one I care about?". Too bad those other people didn't have any superhero relatives I guess.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 14, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You're not wrong, but when you're trying to argue with a New God whose entire counterargument is "butterfly effect" then managing to save even one person is a feat unto itself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Godly time travel saving people is a whole can of worms because it's impossible to draw the line at who to save. What about people who died of cancer before modern medicine was invented? Don't they deserve to live? And then you end up with the ending of minus, which I just learned is no longer online aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sometimes we let the guy who has given everything for the world save his mom, and that's OK.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lurdiak posted:

minus, which I just learned is no longer online aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Wait whaaaaaaat

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Lurdiak posted:

which I just learned is no longer online aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Truly, we live in the worst of all possible worlds. :negative:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lurdiak posted:

minus, which I just learned is no longer online aaaaaaaaaaaaah.
What.

This is the internet, someone's gotta have it saved somewhere. Or there's a dead tree version? Or something?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Godly time travel saving people is a whole can of worms because it's impossible to draw the line at who to save. What about people who died of cancer before modern medicine was invented? Don't they deserve to live? And then you end up with the ending of minus, which I just learned is no longer online aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Internet Archive to the Rescue!

Also, thank you for reminding me that Minus exists.

Content:

Minus is pretty great, you guys.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 14, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've read through Minus two or three times and I think she's just kind of a bitch, ignorantly innocent or not.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
woops, double post

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 14, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

With the plane it's also important to remember that its Johns dealing with his own loss. It's what he dreams he could do as his sister died in a plane crash. He wishes he could save hurt, but the only way to do so is in a world with superheroes and time travel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Internet Archive to the Rescue!

Also, thank you for reminding me that Minus exists.

No problem, I love minus and especially Great!, so I'm glad that stuff is preserved somewhere.

Anyway here's what I was talking about :

And then everyone is ghosts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobkatt013 posted:

With the plane it's also important to remember that its Johns dealing with his own loss. It's what he dreams he could do as his sister died in a plane crash. He wishes he could save hurt, but the only way to do so is in a world with superheroes and time travel.

Counterpoint: that way lies, if not madness, certainly Sam Alexander.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

Counterpoint: that way lies, if not madness, certainly Sam Alexander.

Or stargirl. It's just that issue was also dedicated to his sister. Sam Alexander is also awesome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I only read Avengers, but Nova seems p.cool in a typical 'we really want him to be like Spider-Man/Speedball/the old Nova/the new Blue Beetle/Ms Marvel' way.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nova and Stargirl are both great characters. It's that extra bit of heart that really brought them to life. On the other hand, Grant Morrison inserted himself into a comic to tell you about how much he misses his cat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Nova and Stargirl are both great characters. It's that extra bit of heart that really brought them to life. On the other hand, Grant Morrison inserted himself into a comic to tell you about how much he misses his cat.

And that's the reason he killed Buddy's family

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

Cat lives are worth as much if not more than human lives, I don't see the difference.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Actual cat lives are worth more than fictional anything.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Grant Morrison is a great writer is probably the biggest difference.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lurdiak posted:

And then everyone is ghosts.

That spend their time doing human reenactments!

Poison Mushroom posted:

What.

This is the internet, someone's gotta have it saved somewhere. Or there's a dead tree version? Or something?
There is totally a dead tree edition, that I'm now awfully happy that I bought.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
from the back-up strip to More Than Meets The Eye #50

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Why are they both now pink? Is it a colourist screw up (seems unlikely). I'm not saying it's not funny, I just don't get it.

Weirdworld #3. Maps can be funny

Also you should be reading it for the amazing facial expressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Milotic posted:

Why are they both now pink? Is it a colourist screw up (seems unlikely). I'm not saying it's not funny, I just don't get it.

Weirdworld #3. Maps can be funny

Also you should be reading it for the amazing facial expressions.

Because this is the touching and inspiring panels thread and due to a time distortion the transformers are seeing themselves in the past, including this transformer mourning over the death of his partner.