Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Kins posted:

My favorite Shadow the Hedgehog quote was

I like that SA2B always starts with a giant warning about your save data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sakurazuka posted:

I never got past the horrendous driving sections

How about that AI driver, eh?

Lady Naga posted:

It was cool because there was a really crappy multiplayer fighting game style mode and you could play as car models rigged to human skeletons.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JprslmK5X8

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 14, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Shiny Matrix games were so... weird. They were ambitious in their attempts to replicate the feel of the movies in original scenes, and they did some impressive technological stuff like having bumpmapping and lots of Agent Smith clones on a PS2... but the end result was just super-lacking.

Actually, over-ambition and under-delivering was a general theme of Matrix game adaptions. Boy, the stories I could probably prod a friend of mine into telling about The Matrix Online...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was also the general theme of Shiny Entertainment

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Kins posted:

Sonic: NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY

Shadow: Where's that drat game data?!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I want to argue against this, but I really can't...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

That reminds me, my first GameCube flat out died within a week after getting it in Christmas 2001 and kept giving me DREs. I only had one game (Smash) and none of my friends had 'Cubes so I assumed it was the game because I figured I dropped it and scratched it or something. Well we exchanged it and that fixed absolutely nothing, so it turned out I had to have the whole goddamn system exchanged. My parents did this for me when in rural Newfoundland and any store they could have possibly gotten it from was a 2.5 hour drive away over barren highway.

My replacement GC worked fine up until 2007 when I got my Wii. It probably still works fine but I haven't played it at all since then.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

and the Matrix.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sonic: NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY

Shadow: Where's that drat game data?!
NO WAY? NO WAY!

WHY ARE YOU GIVING ME THIS DUMB ORB GAME I JUST WANNA BE KNUCKLES IN SONIC 1 :mad::mad::mad: Stupid Lock-On cartridge...

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The orb game was really good though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

and the Matrix.
I should probably watch that trilogy again through the eyes of a bitter adult. I remember loving the first film, liking the second, and just fast-forwarding the third to the big Smith fight at the end.

Lady Naga posted:

The orb game was really good though.
It was good, but it wasn't gliding-over-the-top-of-all-the-bullshit-in-Marble-Garden-Zone good. :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tane orbs.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
torpor orb

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Kins posted:

I should probably watch that trilogy again through the eyes of a bitter adult. I remember loving the first film, liking the second, and just fast-forwarding the third to the big Smith fight at the end.

The secret truth is the third film isn't that bad and better than the second one. All the special effects look like Xbox the first cutscenes now though, esp. on Bluray.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Kins posted:

The Shiny Matrix games were so... weird. They were ambitious in their attempts to replicate the feel of the movies in original scenes, and they did some impressive technological stuff like having bumpmapping and lots of Agent Smith clones on a PS2... but the end result was just super-lacking.

Actually, over-ambition and under-delivering was a general theme of Matrix game adaptions. Boy, the stories I could probably prod a friend of mine into telling about The Matrix Online...

Enter The Matrix at least had the excuse of being pushed out unfinished to match Revolutions' release. Which is why they have motioned-captured kung fu but the running animations are shamefully bad. Or how they didn't get an acual blur effect working so when the agents dodge your bullets they just look like they're dancing.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Enter The Matrix at least had the excuse of being pushed out unfinished to match Revolutions' release. Which is why they have motioned-captured kung fu but the running animations are shamefully bad. Or how they didn't get an acual blur effect working so when the agents dodge your bullets they just look like they're dancing.

The matrix: dance dance revolutions

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm glad that the wachowski sisters made such a good movie out of speed racer. I know they're anime fans what with the matrix being inspired by ghost in the shell but I didn't expect them to make such a good film out of speed racer

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I appreciate them for giving Peter Chung more exposure because he's one of my absolute favourite animators.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
At the very least, I'm glad that the FMV cutscenes from ETM were put onto one of the bonus DVDs for the trilogy.

EDIT:

Lady Naga posted:

I appreciate them for giving Peter Chung more exposure because he's one of my absolute favourite animators.

That short was one of the most bizarre ones of the Animatrix.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm glad that the wachowski sisters made such a good movie out of speed racer. I know they're anime fans what with the matrix being inspired by ghost in the shell but I didn't expect them to make such a good film out of speed racer

Speed Racer is so loving good. The marketing was so poo poo for it though, I don't even understand how they managed to make trailers that crap. I only went to see it for the Wachowski name, but boy am I glad I did.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There are people that poo poo on the speed racer movie for the cartoony backgrounds and vibrant colors and poo poo like

what the gently caress

That was one of the coolest things about that movie, just how bright and colorful it was and how they managed to capture that cartoony feel of the show perfectly.

God drat that's a good movie.

It's like when people say sky captain is bad because of the backgrounds being all green screen even tho like that was pretty much the point of the film, to try to capture old pulp story covers. I can understand not liking something but it seems pretty silly to get mad at it for doing a thing it was explicitly trying to do, like getting mad at an FPS for being an FPS

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sky Captain is bad, but not because of that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sky Captain is bad because it's not a good movie, not because of how successfully it emulates a particular style.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Sky Captain and the Thievius Raccoonus

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I saw Sky Captain when I was like 15 and thought it was cool but that was when that sort of poo poo was more new and exciting, so it probably doesn't hold up

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I saw Sky Captain when I was like 15 and thought it was cool but that was when that sort of poo poo was more new and exciting, so it probably doesn't hold up

I liked Wild Wild West when I saw it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

Speed Racer is great but I know a crazy amount of people who absolutely hate it for some reason.
Probably the Wachowski's best film other than the first Matrix (though I have a soft spot for Bound).

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Mordja posted:

I liked Wild Wild West when I saw it.

Everyone liked wild wild west when they saw it, because everyone was 15

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sky captain isn't a very good movie but I enjoyed it aesthetically even if it didn't really have much there.

There are reasons why it isn't a good movie but it did a pretty good job capturing the pulp art style imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i wanted wild wild west to be so good, that was one of my biggest disappointments when I was young, that that movie was just...

not good...

the mechanical poo poo was cool tho

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
There was a robot turd in that movie?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's a neat article about the directors of Sky Captain, and how they were at the forefront of a huge trend and didn't capitalise on it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like the scene where they do 1800s science to shoot light out of the severed head's eyes and display a picture

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

There was a robot turd in that movie?

Yeah, Will Smith.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i remember liking sky captain when i was a kid which is probably the best audience for that movie cause it's hella dumb

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, Will Smith.

Rude.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Christina Ricci was so hot in Speed Racer tbh. Also John Goodman loving owns.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
cined used to say speed racer was a great reason to own a bluray player and i was skeptical but picked the movie up for cheap when blockbuster was going under and, well, i'm here to tell you they were right

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
the watchowski sisters were partially responsible for all those goony dudes wearing v for vendetta masks and i don't know if i can ever overlook that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nerds were obsessed with Alan Moore before the movie.

• Locked thread