Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Fetus posted:

This should impress you!

Victory Vow is a pretty mediocre Force Boost.

Poor Arianna.

Seems like most of the defensive Force Boosts are just flat out inferior to the Force Breaks, aside from Beast's.

I also think that Hrothgar and Wulfgar show up one more time at the inn later?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Victory Vow is great before you get consistent TP restoration and hey, if Arianna ain't doing anything, might as well.

The Story party takes a little while to get going, but as we can hint at from this fight, once they get going, they get going.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I was too lazy to take out the bats, and thought it would be more exciting to leave them in. :v: They do nothing but try to head bind your party, which Bertrand, Hrothgar, Flavio, and Knight (as long as he's not transformed) don't really care about. Arianna gets shut down by head binds, but Chloe can still do some other stuff even if she has her head bound.

Crosspeice posted:

Victory Vow is great before you get consistent TP restoration and hey, if Arianna ain't doing anything, might as well.

The Story party takes a little while to get going, but as we can hint at from this fight, once they get going, they get going.

Arianna doesn't really have TP problems, unless you decided to get her a level 20 Link Order this early in the game for some reason. Either way, I find it falls under the problems Steady Hands does. Using it before you really need it can end up preventing you from using the Break.

Yeah the Story party is pretty strong defensively, but offensively they're awful early on. They do get better later, but a Classic party will still outdamage them. Fafnir is a really skill point hungry class, as not only does he need his offensive abilities maxed out, he also needs skills in his Force Mastery tree maxed out as well. Until then, Chloe pretty much has to carry the team in the damage department.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 25: Boing

You are the ocean's gray waves ♪ Destined to seek life beyond the shore ♪ Just out of reach...
Heh. That's some singin' voice yeh've got.
Oh, good morning, Tyler. Thank you.
How come yeh've never sung for us before? Lord knows yeh're better than Realga and Milly at it.
War Lore doesn't require singing.
Hrm. Hey, what's that song yeh were singin'? Don't think I've heard it before.
I found those first few lines of it in a very old archive of ancient entertainment methods. Unfortunately, all I could find besides those lines was a mention of an emblem.

We're almost at the end of the 3rd Stratum. Just 14F and 15F left.

Let's take care of some quests before we tackle 14F. First of all, The sun shines down. We need to wait for the time to be 10 AM. The easiest way to do this is to just set an auto-walk path in an area where you can't run into enemies and wait for the clock to tick over.

There we go.

Now, what we need to do is get into an encounter--any monster will do.

After the battle finishes...

Somethin' tells me those crabs and that lizard weren't the reason all those explorers di-- Whoop, here comes somethin' from the sky.
Oh please no.
SYSTEM: At that moment, something lunges from high above. Caught defenseless, the sudden assault knocks you all to the ground!

The hell?!
SYSTEM: You pull yourselves to your feet, gritting your teeth through the pain, and come face to face with a monster, growling hungrily. It appears this monster was the one that ambushed you after your fight, in your brief moment of vulnerability... Its mouth is stained with red--a grim testament to how many adventurers have already fallen prey to its trap.
So this is what we were sent to slay...
SYSTEM: There can be no mistake--this monster must be the mysterious beast described in your request.
...Hm? It seems...reluctant to fight us.
SYSTEM: But strangely, despite having successfully ambushed you, the monster seems to have no will to fight... It seems almost to be in pain. It whines at you, and turns, as if to run away... Puzzling over its behavior, your thoughts are interrupted by the strange song of the flute you overheard earlier. At the shrill tones of the flute, the monster whirls with bloodshot eyes, and lunges at you once more! The sudden change startles you, but the time has come to defeat the vicious beast! Ready your weapons, and strike it down!

Beetle Lord
HP: 2300, STR: 35, TEC: 24, VIT: 30, AGI: 20, LUC: 25
Skills:
  • Sweep Strike: Uses the arms. Deals 120% melee STR-based Cut damage to one row. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
50% 50% 100% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
100% 150% 100% 50% 50% 100% 100%
50% 50% 50%
50% 100% 100%

An insectoid creature whose mind is controlled by a wicked purpose.

What the hell am I supposed to say about this thing?

"Find peace, thou monster." ...How was that?
Not very heroic.

...Tyler had less than a 7% base chance to do that, not even accounting for LUC difference.

SYSTEM: You tense, sensing movement behind you. Weapons at the ready, you turn to confront...a lone guard.

SYSTEM: You can't see his face behind the metal visor, but he seems to be friendly enough. You tell the guard of your quest from the Grand Duchy.
We're pretty sure that thing was what was killin' all the explorers.
Whoa, sounds pretty tough. You must be pretty thirsty after all that. Here, why don't you all have some of my water?
I am feeling quite parched, I suppose. Thank you.
SYSTEM: Rheine thanks the guard, takes the water skin, clearly winded and parched from the tough battles.
...Hey, hold up a minute...
SYSTEM: Something belatedly dawns on you... Didn't Cass tell you that there were no guards posted on the 13th floor? If that's true, then...what is this guard doing here all by himself? You look to the guard, and notice that he is watching Rheine about to drink, with a malevolent grin on his face...!
RHEINE! PUT THAT THING DOWN!
SYSTEM: Something about his demeanor unnerves you, and instinctively you knock the waterskin from Rheine's hands!
...Tyler. I know you are have a tendency for paranoia, but this is-- Urk! M-my throat...!
SYSTEM: Astonished, Rheine demands an explanation...but staggers as a burning pain fills their throat.

SYSTEM: It's clear the water had been poisoned, and despite your quick thinking, it seems that Rheine drank a small sip... You move to protect Rheine, who is on the ground gagging in pain, and draw your weapons! The guard nimbly steps back, hastily slipping out of range of your weapons.
Mrph. You're pretty dodgy, for someone wearing heavy armor.
We are not so easily fooled that we would forget there are no guards on this floor.
Tch, you catch on quick, huh... You were so easy to fool last time, but looks like you've wised up a little bit...
SYSTEM: The guard drops all pretenses in his words, and makes no attempt to hide his malice towards you. Everything becomes clear now--you recall the amiable guard you encountered during the case of the treasure hidden in the cave... The man in front of you is the very same guard, and you almost fell victim to his lies a second time!
Alright, yeh lyin' bastard! We're wise to yer tricks now! We'll be ready for yeh next time!
I thought I killed you all back at the cave... Tch. You're persistent idiots, I'll give you that, but you need to just die already!
SYSTEM: The guard spits these words as a parting shot as he vanishes into the forest. You don't know why the guard was here, but the request is complete. Visit the bar when you can, and report your progress!
Phoebe, how's Rheine doin'?
Not great. That was some poison that trickster had.
I-I'll be...fine. Go report to Cass--gck--while I go consult Realga about this...

Ahh, there yeh are. How was it? Yeh find any good treasure?
I wish. All we got was another run-in with that thief from the cave.
Eh...? What, that bastard again!? So it was all just another scheme of his, eh? I've been askin' around a bit since that last incident. That bastard only just came into town recently...but I heard he's an infamous robber.
Just our luck that we'd run into this prick. Bah.
I heard the treasure yeh tried to get last time was a flute that could control monsters...? Only works on a couple beasties, but it still ain't good. Now, turns out there's actually two flutes: one that riles 'em up, and one that calms 'em down. Dunno which was in the cave... I figured he was gonna use it to steal somethin' from another floor, but... I had no idea that all this time, the bastard was just after the explorers' loot.
So you will follow up with the Grand Duchy about this and the last incident, correct?
I'll keep lookin' into things, so keep yer shirt on. Ah, and I can't forget yer reward, of course. Yeh killed the monster, so here yeh go. G'luck!

All Mists reduce Fire/Ice/Volt damage to the party by 20% for 6 turns. It's not that big of a reduction, but there are two bosses where it's kinda useful.

Cross Charge now deals 225% damage if used alone, 550% if used with Delayed Charge, and has a 200% speed modifier instead of a 150% speed modifier.

Link Order now hits for 172% TEC damage + 40% of whatever skill activated it.

We'll need to fight some enemies on 14F to finish Yggdrasil cider, so we might as well start.

SYSTEM: Turning to face it, you see an old man. Der Freischutz is standing not far away...

...Whaddya want?
SYSTEM: The old marksman Wilhelm keeps a withering eye on you as he speaks.
Ms. Artelinde told you that good children don't go deep into the forest, didn't she? I don't know what you're up to. But I do know there'll be a world of trouble if you go on.
SYSTEM: His gaze pierces directly into your soul as he continues.
If you leave, fine. If you stay below, fine. But if you ignore our warning... Then the 15th floor... Mark me, children: that frosty hall will be your grave.

SYSTEM: It's up to you whether to continue through the forest or return to Lagaard.
So, uh... Now what? Do we keep going? That was a...pretty serious threat.
As much as I had hoped that Guild Esbat would leave us alone, we cannot end our exploration over this. We must press on!
Heh. Yeh're seein' my way now.

SYSTEM: Luckily, the egg is not cracked, though it is clear that it will not fare well if left under these cold skies. You may return the egg back to its nest, high in the tree before you, or leave it where it lies.
Eh, even monsters deserve fair chances. Up you go!

Ooh, now that's a nice feather. I don't think whatever lives here'll miss it...
SYSTEM: While returning the egg, Zack seems to have made off with a feather from the nest in the bargain. You can't help but laugh at Zack's unflagging dedication as you take your leave.

Swan Feathers are normal drops from a 15F enemy.

...The hell is that blue lump?
SYSTEM: Zack is the first to find what you are looking for and speaks up.

SYSTEM: It is different from the type on the previous floor which hovered off the ground... This one has a gelatinous body which is in full contact with the ice. It seems capable of moving about freely even on this slippery floor. You remain cautious of the new monster as a matter of principle as you resume investigating the forest.

Blue Gels patrol a rectangular area instead of the straight lines that Evil Eyes did. Otherwise, their behavior is quite similar to Evil Eyes, right down to how they aggro to us. The only difference is that Blue Gels will not leave the ice they're standing on to chase us, unlike Evil Eyes.

Redfish
HP: 424, STR: 27, TEC: 24, VIT: 23, AGI: 17, LUC: 23
Skills:
  • Ice Fin: Uses the legs. Deals 190% ranged TEC-based damage to one target. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Red Fin. 40% chance. Sells for 121 en. 1 needed to make Fine Choker (+42 DEF). 3 needed to make Red Fin Whip (+92 ATK).
    "Beautiful red-white fin of a Redfish. It's worn on some local holidays."
  • Rare: Slimy Scale. 30% chance. Sells for 125 en. 1 needed to make Handcannon (+84 ATK). 3 needed to make Lamellar Armor (+39 DEF). 5 needed to make Nikkari (+109 ATK). 2 Giant Tusks and 2 Slimy Scales needed to make Bipennis (+103 ATK).
    "The red scales of a Redfish's body. If it dries out, it crisps and crumbles."
  • Ingredient: Freshwater Filet. 2-3 given. 3 needed to make Monster Fish Panino (Western Food 3; increases EXP by 20%). 4 needed to make Snow Egg Oden (Japanese Food 3; imbues attacks with Fire for one turn).
    "Has both red and white meat."
Damage resistances:
150% 100% 100% 100% 50% 150%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

An amphibious creature that has the ability to summon ice and cold.

Redfish...exist. Ice Fin hurts quite a bit (and can actually kill Zack or Tyler from near-full), but other than that there's not a ton to say about them. Having two of them in one fight's kind of annoying since two Ice Fins can actually put you in a kind of dangerous situation.

I-I n-never wanted to know what bein' slapped by a freezin' fin felt like.

Me...either...

Oh yeah, the Freezing Lizard. Normally, Zack would've just been badly wounded by that, but the Freezing Lizard I didn't show lowered everyone's HP slightly, putting Zack in the death range for Ice Fin. I'm starting to really hate those things.

Arise and persevere!

Enough outta yeh!

Ah, how cathartic.

The Blue Gel aggros on us basically as soon as we step on the ice, but it follows the same rules the Evil Eye did--us sliding on the ice only counts as one action for it.

Seems like we need to push that thing and then slide into it to go any further.
Push it at once, then.

Uh.
That's some pretty strong goo.
SYSTEM: The fiend used its soft, absorbent body to nullify your gambit...! You will clearly not defeat this gelatinous creature with the ice blocks. Adding this to your knowledge of the Labyrinth's denizens, you proceed with your investigation.

Oh yeah, one last property of Blue Gels. They will bounce ice blocks back at you, which is kind of annoying. The game doesn't really make a ton of puzzles using that fact, though.

So all we have to do is just wait until the Blue Gel's out of the way.

Inside this treasure chest is an Almighty Ring, which increases all of a character's stats by 2. Colette benefits most from it since she has skills that, collectively, use STR, TEC, and VIT, so I put it on her.

I've had it up to HERE with these drat elephants!

Ohhhhhhh gods I've made a terrible decision!
STOP STOP STOP--

whoops

Blue Gel
HP: 7197, STR: 39, TEC: 37, VIT: 29, AGI: 22, LUC: 35
Skills:
  • Elemental Gel: Uses the head. Raises all enemies' elemental attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Freezing Fluid: ???
Drops:
  • Normal: Blue Core. 100% chance. Sells for 870 en. 1 needed to make Ice Culverin (+88 ATK, +10 HP, normal attacks become Stab+Ice). 2 needed to make Aqua Claw (+108 ATK, normal attacks become Bash+Ice). 3 needed to make Blue Vest (+34 DEF, +10% Ice resistance).
    "Cubic core that's cold to the touch. Working it into weapons can grant freezing power."
  • Ingredient: Cold Gelatin. 1-2 given. 1 needed to make Apple Blue Aiyu Jelly (Chinese Food 3; Therica A/Bs affect row instead of one target).
    "Gelatin that is nice and bouncy."
Damage resistances:
50% 50% 50% 150% 10% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 25% 10% 50% 25%
10% 10% 50%
50% 25% 25%

An evolved type of gel whose body can morph into a full arsenal!

I'm...not entirely sure what the point of Blue Gels is, given that they'll pretty much always be the only enemies in a fight, making Elemental Gel useless. They hit hard, and can kill anyone not under the effect of Front Guard, but that's not exactly a big issue.

What IS an issue, however, is that my current party has no answer to the issue of "this thing has 50% resistance to all physical damage." My only choice is to run from this thing, since fighting it will take WAY too much time.

Oof...

Z-Zachary! We must flee!

Oogh... How did we get bounced back?
Basic laws of physics, Tyler.

Oh yeah. If you escape from an FOE fight on ice, you'll be propelled in the direction opposite where you started the fight.

Another easy puzzle. Just push the ice block and then run into it...

So you can go here.

Hmm... That thing looks interestin'.
SYSTEM: It is partly buried, making it difficult to tell what it is from your position. You can investigate the shining object further or ignore it and continue forth.
Go grab it, then.
SYSTEM: When you approach the object and pick it up, you find that it is a necklace. While you wonder if some explorers lost it here, a low rumbling echoes through the area.
I don't like the sound of--
AVALANCHE!
SYSTEM: It is the sound of snow and boulders sliding down the mountain! The necklace's prior owner must have been crushed by an avalanche! You retreat from the approaching wall of snow at full speed, but it's too late! Your guildmates are swallowed into the moving wall of snow and slammed into the ground!

Ohhhhhhh man that stings without having Realga.

Hm. Everyone okay?
My left arm is broken...and my hat is crushed...but otherwise, reasonably okay.
I didn't know...it was possible...to stand on your own face...
Rheine... Please get offa me... The weight 'a you and the snow is crushin' my apples...
Someone...please help me up...
SYSTEM: Thankfully, the avalanche that caught you was a minor one, and you managed to survive. Yet your safety is not guaranteed, and so you quickly put away the necklace you hold and swiftly depart.

Gypsum Necklaces provide immunity to Sleep. Potentially useful for the stratum boss.

Another level up from Zack from a boring encounter, another point in TP Up.

Last puzzle of the floors. We have to push that ice block...

To reach that passage over there.

One push down--

Oh my god I'm a loving idiot.

One escape later...

Mercifully, Blue Gels go inactive for a turn after you escape from them, ensuring you can't get boxed in by them. It also means I can kinda cheese this and run to the ice block.

Just shove the thing southwards...

I am taking over navigational duty next time, Zachary.
I'd appreciate that...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Finally.

Can't say I've seen a shortcut like that before.
You got any clue, Colette?
I'm unfamiliar with these markings.
SYSTEM: Perhaps something is required in order to make the emblem react...

We'll be coming back here MUCH later in the game.

And we're done with the floor. Another short one.

The fifteenth floor... Sir Wilhelm said this would be our graves...
Okaaaaaay so who's up for going back to town right now?
Aye.
It's almost dinner time. I could go for some food.
Agreed.

Selling off our junk from 14F unlocked these things.

Hunter Bow (+84 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Swan Feather. I'd say it's boring, but it's the highest-damage bow you can buy in the 3rd Stratum.

Elephant Nose (+84 ATK) is unlocked by selling 2 Elephant Hides. I really hate these boring +ATK upgrades.

Handcannon (+84 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Slimy Scale. If you're not gonna kill a Blue Gel, it's the best gun you can buy in the 3rd Stratum.

Tusk Hairpin (+20 DEF, +5 TP, can be equipped by Beasts) is unlocked by selling 3 Giant Tusks. Decent-ish defense upgrade. The TP's nice.

Time for town denizen dialogue.

They said that there's some kind of ice woman with countless twisting limbs! It just sounds horrible. ...So how far have you climbed up to?
The, uh... The fifteenth floor.
You're on the 15th floor already!? Well, it's a good thing I caught you! Now you know what's lurking in there. I'll see if I can find out anything more about this thing. Anything to help out you lovely children. Bahaha!

Aside from that horrid avalanche, we're managing quite well.
...I've only heard rumors, but apparently there's a vicious ice monster that stops any explorers from going past that floor.
We heard as much from Hanna just a minute ago, yeah.
...You're planning on fighting the monster, right? Um, I'm not doubting any of you, but... It's just... I'm a little worried, is all...
If we've come this far without kickin' the bucket, I think we'll be fine.
Um... Please come back safe, okay...? It'd be awful if...i-if I never saw you all again.

Hm?
Oh, just thinking of today's menu. High Lagaardian winters can be very cold. Seasonal menus might be a good idea... I've heard the section of the Labyrinth you're in now is quite cold, too.
...You didn't know that until now?
W-Wipe that look off your face. I was just making sure of the facts!

Yeh lot made it to the 15th floor, right? That's amazing and all... but I didn't stop yeh to praise yeh. There was a guild that tried to climb higher, trying to steal yer thunder... But on their way up to the next floor, they ran into some huge beastie. Sounds like they all nearly died fighting that thing.
We've heard as much from Hanna and Abigail.
So anyways, yeh lot better be careful. I'd hate to see yeh go to the Great Bar in the Sky before yeh find the castle in the sky! In any case, keep yer guard up! That's all. Haw haw haw!

Just Marmott this time.

Oh, welcome, Lumen. Tramonte's passed out at the inn again...all thanks to Lilly.
What esoteric material was she chasing this time?
She had her eyes set on a Frozen Stone this time, but it's not exactly easy to get. Defeat a Giant Snow with an ice element attack... I mean, you can only do so much, right? I got fed up and said she'd have to do it herself, and the idiot actually went out and tried! At least she's still alive...

15F quests.

The company performer:

Ah yes, that quest. The client will be very happy to hear that yeh're handling it.
Who?
Hm? Ah, surely yeh remember the lass who wanted revenge for her fiance's death?
Ah, yeah. The dead guy whose gauntlet I threw at yeh. Heh, good times.
Tyler, could you please try to be less boorish...?
She's since become a troubadour, and joined the naval band. I gave her the herbs an' gauntlet yeh brought back with the bone... though of course, I kept the bone to myself. She cried up a storm for a spell, but she seems better now. Once yeh'd got revenge for her, she thought she'd spend her life trying to save other people.
Good t' see another person that just takes whatever life gives 'em.
And she hated to think of anyone feeling as low as she did, so a troubadour was the natural choice. I was surprised myself! But she's a natural at that music stuff.
Oh gods can we please trade Milly for h--
Hush. Go on, Cass.
But that's where the quest comes in. That lass is helpin' a guild on a hunt, ya see. But this guild doesn't have the cash to support the reinforcement group, eh? So her equipment's kinda shabby. So she came to ask for help, and asked me to put up a quest. So... Even if it's secondhand, she asked for one Mammoth Bow XL, awright? I told her she oughta ask yeh for a whole set of equipment, but she wasn't havin' it. Seriously, what a modest girl, eh? Think of it as raising new talent for the future, yeah? Haw haw haw haw!

Mammoth Bow XLs are kind of annoying to unlock, but they're not too bad.

The enigmatic woodsman:

Oh, that quest. Yeh probably don't know, but there's a man that calls himself the Messenger of the Labyrinth. Never seen him, so I can't say whether he's real or not, but I hear he's some nutcase who left Lagaard to live in the Labyrinth. Then there's this other lot called the Curse Academy...
I'm quite familiar with them, yes.
Explain who they are for those of us who aren't, though.
They're a strange bunch, who take requests to curse or uncurse things. Now, the incense they use for that, they usually get from the Messenger, in exchange for an offering. They say the incense has some special power, and it can't be made in town. Typical, eh? Nowadays, though, even when they go in with the offering, they can't find this Messenger fella. They ain't ones for giving up, so they fished up some ancient documents, and started lookin' for a way to find this guy. So they found out there's a little shrine in the White Forest. Folks used to bring offerings there, and get incense in return.

I don't know if White Forest is a mistranslation or just an inconsistency, but Cass is just referring to the Frozen Grounds.

Yeh get the picture yet? Yeh gotta find the shrine, set down the offering, and get their incense. Now, the offering... well, there's a messenger from the Curse Academy sitting in the corner. Go ask them about it. Alright, g'luck!

...D-Did you want to talk to me?
Yes. We're members of Guild Lumen.
R-Really...? So you're the ones that accepted our posting... Cass must have told you most of it, right...?
Yes, he did. Go over the basic details again, though.
Take an offering for the shrine of the white forest, and bring back incense in return... Our texts say the shrine is on the 15th floor, but I'm afraid we don't know the specific coordinates... Not only that, our predecessors built numerous other shrines on the same floor. However, the Messenger of Yggdrasil will only descend to the shrine constructed with stone wings. Please, be careful. Once you place the offering, please retreat until the shrine's no longer visible... That should cause...something to happen. Once you have the incense, please bring it here... P-Please, take this...

Please be careful...and...make sure it does not fall into the wrong person's hands... We will be watching your every step...
That's not creepy at all.

We'll be taking care of this quest late into 15F.

Abigail has special dialogue when we enter Sitoth after taking on The enigmatic woodsman.

Oh my goodness... Is that... D-Do you have a Wind Rock!?
Uh, y-yeah. How'd she even notice it in our pack?
Wow! That's a very rare stone! It's used to make amazing equipment, you know. ...Um, I have a favor to ask of you... If it's possible...could you sell that stone to me? You see, my father's birthday is coming up, and, um, I want to give him a good present... So, uh...umm...
Selling the Wind Rock would be...inadvisable. Sorry, Abigail.
I... see. Alright... It must be something very important. Sorry to get all excited, ahaha... Most craftsmen never get to see one. So I wanted to give my dad something he'd treasure... I'll find something else for my father's present, so please don't worry about it. By the way, where did you manage to find such a rare rock?
Some stick-armed girl from the Curse Academy gave it to us. There's this recluse in the Labyrinth who'll trade it for some special incense.
...U-Um, a request...from the...Curse...Academy...? ...I'm...glad I didn't take it. If I took something that belongs to the Curse Academy... I don't know what they'd do... You should make sure you finish this quest properly! Please come visit us again if you need anything!!!

In the original EO2, you could actually sell the Wind Rock to Abigail and get a false end for the quest. Here, though, even if you opt to sell it to her, she still asks where the thing came from, and then freaks out when you tell her it's from the Curse Academy and gives it back.

We're well aware.
According to an explorer that survived an encounter with it...the monster appears as a woman, but get too close, and...it strikes! ...Their guild was thrashed apart. It was utter chaos. Only the one survived. The rest...slaughtered.
They said the same thing about the Flame Demon, too.
...It's a morbid story, but I'm telling you because there was something unusual about that attack. ...The survivor of that battle was injured by the monster, but...he also had bullet wounds across his back. Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but... I want you all to be very cautious as you proceed. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid any unnecessary risks.
Bullet wounds, eh? I've got a pretty good idea who's responsible fer that.
To think I believed they would listen to rational diplomacy...

Lumen... You are the members of Lumen, are you not?
Mhm.
Yes, as I thought. They say your guild is strong as a lion, swift as the wind, and sturdy as a great boulder... I cannot tell if they say this in jest, or if you truly appear this way to them in the Labyrinth.
I'd like to believe there's some truth to that, heh.
...And as you grow stronger, I can only assume that boulders will become monoliths, and monoliths will become mountains... Ho ho ho, I can hardly wait, hm? Good day to you, then, Lumen. I look forward to your safe return.

At this point I did some materials grinding to finish up some outstanding quests, and unlocked this stuff.

Bipennis (+103 ATK) is unlocked by selling 2 Giant Tusks and 2 Slimy Scales. It's the highest-damage axe from the 3rd Stratum, if that interests you.

Mammoth Bow XL (+79 ATK) is unlocked by selling 5 Giant Tusks. It's a pretty crappy upgrade, but we need it for The company performer, so I buy one.

Oh, yeh got one! Good! I'll bring it to her right away, then. Well...yeh ain't busy, right?
We're done with exploring for the day, yes.
If yeh're gonna wait around for me anyway, take inventory while I'm out, eh?
Don't make that face! After all I've done for yeh! Yeh can do me a little favor, can't yeh? C'mon. And besides! If yeh can't, I'll just find someone else to handle the quests, eh?
...Very well, then.
Awright! Make it snappy! Haw haw haw!

Fade to black here.

Phew, I'm back! Oh, yeh did well. Kinda surprisin'. Thanks for the help.
Aw, don't give me that face again! C'mon, I'll tell yeh what happened. For free. When I brought the goods, she was waiting for me outside. She bowed, all proper-like. Made me bow right back without thinkin'! She seemed like a whole new lass. No more gloom, just a big old smile on her face... I think she's gonna be just fine. Welp, I'd say yer job's done. Here, take yer reward. Thanks again!

Stonards increase one party member's physical defense by 30% for 6 turns. Yawn.

Ooh, more rewards?

Holy Gift's always useful for grinding, even if it's a low level.

She wasn't sure when she'd be back from her mission, otherwise she'd have given it to yeh herself. She said she wanted yeh to have it, even though it might not help much. She wanted to thank yeh face-to-face as well, but yeh know how it is. Take it easy, alright?

Oh, I've been waiting for yeh! Yeh already got them? Fantastic. Lemme see. Pass 'em over.
Let's see, I put the materials...right here! There we are.
...Oh ho ho, great, great! They're top quality! Now I just gotta make some whiskey with this, name it “Lumen"...and I'll be rollin' in cash. Heh heh heh...
Didja say somethin', Cass?
...Wh--oh, uh... Wh-What? I didn't say nothin'. Must've been ghosts. Drunk ghosts. Here's yer reward! Now go on! Make sure yeh count it! S-See ya!

The Hex Staff is yet another disabling weapon. It has a 30% base chance to inflict Curse when attacking.

Among a category of weapons that are all worthless, the Hex Staff stands out.

Barrier now has a 47% chance to block.

I have no clue what I want to do with Tyler's build right now, and I don't want to bump Spear Assist's TP cost, so he'll hold on to that skill point for now.

Raising Shield Mastery to level 5 unlocked Heal Guard, which I absolutely do not care about.

Link Order deals 176% damage + 40% of the activating skill's damage.

And that's all for now. Next time: most of 15F.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ragnar Homsar posted:

You are the ocean's gray waves ♪ Destined to seek life beyond the shore ♪ Just out of reach...

I see someone's been playing Fates

and getting portraits from EOV.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

AweStriker posted:

I see someone's been playing Fates

and getting portraits from EOV.

Yes to the first, but that's Arcanist 4 from EO4. I ran out of Hexer and War Magi portraits. :v:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Yes to the first, but that's Arcanist 4 from EO4. I ran out of Hexer and War Magi portraits. :v:

Betrayed by the pointy ears...

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 26: Guardians of the Sorrowful Ice

Hmm... No, not that one... Nope, not this one either.
Ranger... Please, just pick a hat...
Hm? Oh, mornin' Ranger, Realga. You both look pretty dead.
I have been up all night helping Ranger try on new hats... I just want to go to sleep...
Well, g'luck with that. We're goin' through the fifteenth floor today. Probably gonna run into Esbat.
Artelinde's one of the Esbat people, right? The one with a hat like Colette?
Yep.
Hmm... Okay, Realga. I've made my decision. You can go now.
Oh thank the gods.

15F time. Last floor of the 3rd Stratum.

I am really not gonna miss this freezing weather.
Ditto.

This where we're supposed t' leave that Wind Rock?
No. The messenger said a shrine with stone wings.
Dammit.

Leaving the Wind Rock at the wrong place means we get less rewards from the quest.

Chop point. Gives Glitter Apples for ingredients.

What a hideous shade of blue for a statue.

Deadly Statue
HP: 522, STR: 31, TEC: 21, VIT: 26, AGI: 18, LUC: 22
Skills:
  • Shock Assault: Uses the arms. Deals 250% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to one target. Has an 80% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Stone Gaze: Uses the head. Attempts to petrify one party member, with a 30% chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Sapphire Arm. 55% chance. Sells for 140 en. 1 needed to make Sapphire Claw (+104 ATK). 3 needed to make Gleaming Rod (+75 ATK, +3 TEC, +20 TP). 5 needed to make Chain Mail (+47 DEF). 8 needed to make Volt Talisman (+30% Volt resistance).
    "Arm-shaped stone with strange emblems engraved. Can be used for all manner of weapons or armor."
Damage resistances:
50% 50% BASH 100% 100% 100% 50%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 50% 100%
0% 100% 50%
50% 150% 100%

This statue is covered in spell glyphs. Those who approach should think twice.

Deadly Statues suck. Shock Assault can very easily kill even Zack and Tyler, and being petrified would be a really serious problem with our current party, since we have no way to fix that.

Snowbird
HP: 315, STR: 26, TEC: 22, VIT: 20, AGI: 27, LUC: 21
Skills:
  • White Wings: Uses the arms. Reduces the party's elemental defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has no speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Swan Feather. 50% chance. Sells for 127 en. 1 needed to make Hunter Bow (+84 ATK). 3 needed to make Swan Coat (+32 DEF). 2 Swan Feathers and 10 Crabshells needed to make Earl Chez (+97 ATK).
    "Snowbird wing feathers, pale as snowfall. Popular as material for warm clothing."
  • Ingredient: Snow Egg. 1-4 given. 4 needed to make Snow Crab Foo Young (Chinese Food 3; gives party +80% resistance to arm binds). 2 needed to make Snow Egg Oden (Japanese Food 3; imbues attacks with Fire for 1 turn).
    "White egg with a thick yolk."
Damage resistances:
100% 150% 100% 150% 50% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 50% 100%
100% 100% 150%
50% 100% 100%

"Living in colder climes, these birds' white wings hold a mysterious power."

Snowbirds aren't that much of a threat on their own, but White Wings makes any enemy that has elemental attacks serious threats, such as that Deadly Statue we're staring down right now.

Get these feathers off me!

How's that even work on a statue?
Yer guess is as good as mine.

Clipped your wings.

Let's not disturb the...giant...multi-headed dragon...
I'm inclined t' agree for once. I don't think we're gettin' out of a fight with that thing alive.

Wings. Not fangs.

Another false shrine.

Another fight where Snowbirds can turn certain enemies into deadly threats. Ice Fin already hurts, and White Wings would make it instant-kill territory for most of our party.

SYSTEM: You listen carefully... It seems to be calling for help!
Quickly! Someone investigate! That man may be in mortal danger!
SYSTEM: Then again, this is the Labyrinth... what sounds like a human may be deceiving. There's an even chance that it is a monster mimicking distress to lure in explorers. But if it is a human... You weigh the risks of heading toward the voice.
I'm not leaving someone to die!
Same here. I think... It's comin' from there!
SYSTEM: You triangulate the voice's location and hurry towards it through the snow. You eventually come across an iron helm in the snow... It seems to belong to a guard!
Ah! Hurry, dig at once!
SYSTEM: You hurry and dig through the snow to rescue the guard. The guard has been here for a long time, and is very weak.

I nearly died...down there... But you heard me... Thank you for coming...! You saved my life... This... is all I have... but please... take it...
SYSTEM: The soldier removes money from under his helm and holds it out shakily to you. Could these be his secret savings...? You accept the guard's offer and return to your journey.

It pays t' be a hero sometimes.

A Hell Dragon...

And Ambush Wolves. Hm...
Thinkin' about how we can get here without gettin' our insides ripped out?
Shouldn't we just run from here? I think we can outrun these wolves, and that dragon thing's sleeping.
Outrun...wolves.
Well, if we just wait for the wolves to look away, we should be fine.

Now's as good a time as any! CHARGE!
Wait, the wolf's going to catch us--

...once we run in front of it.
Okay, scrap charge. RUN!

OPEN THE DOOR HURRY HURRY HURRY!
Everythin' in due time.

I can see why...Jackie was complaining about the wolves...

...Esbat?
Most likely.
Can we go back and prepare first? Maybe sleep on it? Running from the wolves took a lot outta me.
I'd like to swap our Grimoires around, as well.

Going in right now with everyone at not-100% HP and TP lies somewhere between "inadvisable" and "completely idiotic."

Sold off some junk.

Shell Claw (+93 ATK) is made from 5 Adularias and 5 Crabshells. Not even the best claw from the 3rd Stratum.

Swan Coat (+32 DEF) is made from 3 Swan Feathers. Imagine a sequence of yawns--let's say about 20. That would be my thoughts on the Swan Coat.

I buy two Fire Jars in case I need Spear Assist + Link Order in a pinch.

I also shuffled around everyone's Grimoires...while not recording. Sigh. The major changes are that Rheine now has lv15 Attack Order, and Spear Assist is lv15 again.

Everyone ready?
As ready as I'll ever be.
I've been waitin' for this for a while.
Shield's buffed and ready to go.
I look forward to a showdown with a fellow War Magus.
Let us proceed, then...

For those of you keeping up with the music, the music stops at this point.

SYSTEM: Just as you reach for the door, you freeze, sensing a dreadful presence...

:siren: :siren:

This is the only time this track plays in the entire game, so enjoy it while you can.

SYSTEM: You recognize the sorrowful voice as the marksman known as Der Freischutz. He stands between you and the door, directing a piercing glare at you.
I told you and I told you! Don't you value your life in the slightest? But you didn't listen, and now there will be consequences!
Aw, come on, isn't there some way we can just--
SYSTEM: The old marksman takes aim with his guns, proving that this is no idle threat...
You really want to kill us, huh?
Many years ago...a peerless war magus challenged this forest.
SYSTEM: Another voice echoes through the area, breaking the tension between you and the gunner.

They passed the first Stratum, then the second... finally reaching these Frozen Grounds.
SYSTEM: Artelinde's voice is serene, as if reciting from memory.
Here...she lost her life in this forest of snow, protecting her comrades. Only her...
SYSTEM: Her smooth facade begins to tremble, and she stops, trying to contain her sorrow.
Sad as that may be, that doesn't explain why the old man's been tryin' to kill us.
SYSTEM: The marksman takes up the story's thread.

Have you heard the legend that this Labyrinth is governed by the Ruler of Heaven?
It's near-impossible to live here and not know that myth.
He became fascinated with her soul after she died, giving her eternal life...after a fashion. But what this overlord calls eternal life is to give up your hold on humanity. The overlord's "gift" turned her into an inhuman fiend!

Hang on. You don't mean--
SYSTEM: With measured steps, Artelinde walks closer to you.
If you go on ahead, you won't have a choice. You'll have to fight our transformed friend.
What happened to your guildmate is tragic, but please--
But no matter what she looks like now...no matter what she is...she's one of us.
SYSTEM: The black-haired witch's face hardens into a fiery glare as she brandishes her staff.
Don't think there's anythin' left for us to say.
I'm afraid your little journey is ending here and now!

:siren: :siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Guild Esbat :siren: :siren:

The music keeps playing through the transition and into the battle.

AaaaaaaaAAAGHHH! Fine! You want a fight?!

WE'LL GIVE YOU A FIGHT!
I've been waitin' for this!

Artelinde
HP: 4900, STR: 34, TEC: 36, VIT: 34, AGI: 20, LUC: 34
Skills:
  • Corpse Ash: Cannot be disabled. Attempts to inflict Fear, Curse, Sleep, Panic, Paralysis, Poison, and Blind on the entire party, with a 10% chance per ailment. The Poison component has a base damage of 60 (around 86, adjusted for Artelinde's level). Has an 80% speed modifier
  • Blind Laughter: Cannot be disabled. Only used on party members with status ailments. Deals 100% melee STR-based Cut damage to one target. Reduces the target's physical/elemental attack and defense by 30% for 4 turns. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Loose Thread: Cannot be disabled. Only used on party members with status ailments. Deals 100% melee STR-based Cut damage to one target. Attempts to completely bind the target, with a 40% chance per bind. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Pandemonium: Cannot be disabled. Raises either Artelinde or Wilhelm's physical/elemental attack/defense by 40% for 4 turns. The attack and defense increases are separate buffs. Has a 150% speed modifier.
  • Blossom Sketch: Cannot be disabled. Heals Artelinde and Wilhelm for 250% healing power (around 265), and removes status ailments, binds, and debuffs. Blossom Sketch activates at the start of the turn, and then again at the end of the turn.
Drops:
  • Normal: Cursed Scrap. 100% chance. Sells for 2000 en. 1 needed to make Pointy Hat (+22 DEF, +1 TEC, +2 LUC).
    "Cloth stained crimson with a maiden's blood. Necessary for a War Magus since it has mystical powers."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 125% 75%
Disable resistances:
0% 25% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 10%
0% 0% 0%

AI behavior:
  • 100% HP to 75% HP:
    • Uses Corpse Ash on first turn. Uses it every 5 turns after.
    • Uses Blossom Sketch every 8th turn.
    • Uses either Blind Laughter or Loose Thread on party members with ailments.
    • Uses normal attacks if none of the above conditions apply.
  • 75% HP to 30% HP:
    • Starts using Pandemonium on either herself or Wilhelm.
  • 30% HP to death:
    • ?????????????????????

A War Magus of Guild Esbat, renowned for her combat prowess all across High Lagaard.

Wilhelm
HP: 4700, STR: 36, TEC: 33, VIT: 26, AGI: 38, LUC: 26
Skills:
  • Fire/Ice/Volt Rounds: Uses the arms. Deals 120% ranged TEC-based Fire/Ice/Volt damage to one party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Rapid Fire: Uses the arms. Deals 90% ranged STR-based Stab damage to the entire party. Has a 150% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Magic Casing. 100% chance. Sells for 2100 en. 1 needed to make Zamiel Gun (+92 ATK, +20 TP).
    "Bullets that never err, as if demon-guided. Power yet remains in them to be shaped anew."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 100% 75%
Disable resistances:
25% 100% 50% 50% 50% 100% 50%
0% 0% 50%
50% 50% 50%

AI behavior:
  • 100% HP to 75% HP:
    • Performs a random action on turn 1.
    • After that, cycles attacks in this pattern:
      • Attack
      • Fire Rounds
      • Ice Rounds
      • Volt Rounds
  • 75% HP to 30% HP:
    • Starts using Rapid Fire instead of normal attacks.
  • 30% HP to death:
    • ?????????????????????

A gun-toting member of Guild Esbat, known as Der Freischutz, and guardian to Artelinde.

(Note: since I have the ability to render EO2U's models now, I'll be using them for (non-DLC) FOEs and bosses when they don't have major errors.)

Oh man, Artelinde and Wilhelm. In EO2, these two were absolute jokes if you had an even slightly-sensible party. They were incredibly vulnerable to being bound and inflicted with status ailments, and their damage just wasn't that threatening to begin with (unless you ended up like a certain doctor I know who had a party with 1 damage dealer, 2 supports, and 2 meatshields).

Now? Good god, these two are massive pains in the rear end, even with a good party. No, I did not mistype Artelinde's disable resistances--she really does nullify every ailment (besides Poison and Stun), as well as all three types of binds. This is already a big problem, but then you have to deal with her skillset.

Corpse Ash (which, as the more observant of you may have noticed, is a version of Random Disease) is pretty much guaranteed to tag everyone in your party with something, and (with my luck, anyway) the odds are good it's going to be something debilitating like Fear or Paralysis. Rheine's a godsend here, since Prevent Order turns Corpse Ash into a non-issue as long as I keep the buff up.

Blind Laughter and Loose Thread are Artelinde's versions of Strength/Guard Slash and the Bindcuts. She won't use them unless someone has an ailment, so they're irrelevant if you keep on top of making sure you don't get tagged with those. Otherwise? Good luck recovering from the debuffs and binds.

Blossom Sketch's heal is annoying, but the real "gently caress you" lies in its dispels, since if you're trying to disable Wilhelm, that'll completely ruin that strategy.

As for Wilhelm, he's fast as gently caress. You might be thinking Gunners are slow, based on Jackie, but the fact that Wilhelm doesn't have to put up with the speed penalties guns innately impose and the speed and accuracy penalties on gun skills means he's far faster and far more accurate than player Gunners.

Mercifully, since Wilhelm is completely predictable after his first action, Phoebe renders him a complete non-issue.

With that in mind, here's my strategy: burst down Artelinde as quickly as possible. Wilhelm is no threat at all with Phoebe, while Artelinde is very much a serious threat. Zack and Colette are thankfully decent at dealing damage, but I'm still kind of worried that she might not die before she starts to become a really big problem.

Gonna hold off on Zack and Phoebe's Force Boosts until Attack Order is in effect.

Setting up Delayed Charge on Artelinde.

Kinda just randomly guessing that Wilhelm will do a normal attack.

I NEED Prevent Order on everyone, or else the fight might just be unwinnable from the start.

Was kinda hopin' it wouldn't come to this. Oh well.

I barely felt that! What kinda wimpy bullets are you using?!

Strengthen your resolve!

I never liked yeh two t' begin with.

We TRIED being nice, we TRIED being diplomatic! And here you are, still trying to kill us!

You need more practice, Artelinde.

Oh man we're dealing really terrible damage without our Force Boosts.

We need to fix that!

Long Thrust's damage is really lovely, but without a consistent source of elemental damage, Tyler's kind of stuck with it.

Phoebe'll be rotating through the elemental walls and Front Guard for the rest of the fight.

Nope.

Uuuuuugghghghhghhghghghhhhh.

About a 50-50 split between Artelinde and Wilhelm.

'S that all?

Much better.

Re-applying Prevent Order so that I'll be covered for the next cast of Corpse Ash.

Hm. You actually make use of Warmight and Rockskin... Interesting.

Okay that's gonna need to be dispelled ASAP.

That's why.

The battle just isn't going to go on long enough for Zack to get Full Charge again.

I haven't had a chance to show off Ad Nihilo yet, so let's put it to work.

I deny you!

Ad Nihilo deals very light Almighty TEC damage and dispels all of the target's buffs and debuffs. The debuff dispel kinda sucks, but then again it's probably really unlikely you have an enemy with boths and debuffs at the same time. In any case, it dispels all of them at once, which is very useful for stuff like Pandemonium.

Oof. So that sword...ain't just for show.

Close call, there. Tyler would've died if I didn't dispel Pandemonium.

Well, we've lopped off a lot of Artelinde's HP by now.

Delayed Charge is ready, so I have Tyler turn on Hero Battle.

Good, good. Artelinde's almost dead now.

That's good, too. Wilhelm only ate 1 of the 6 hits.

I don't know why you thought that'd work a second time.

What?! ...Oh. Right. They're explorers like us. I...somehow didn't think about that.
She's almost down, it doesn't matter!

Yeah. Thought we were the only ones with access to Force? Think again!

Both Artelinde and Wilhelm will enter their Force Boosts when one of two things happens: when they're dropped below 30% HP, or when the other one of them is killed, whichever comes first.

So what exactly does Spellsword do for Artelinde, aside from giving her a kinda cool color scheme that I can't replicate with my render? Well, the big thing is that she'll use Blind Laughter and Loose Thread even if no-one has an ailment and, somewhat more importantly, they will hit the entire party instead of just one target! If you think this sounds like a really major issue, then you're 100% right! Artelinde's thankfully really close to dying here, so I don't have to actually deal with the Spellsword effects, but Spellsword is the main reason I chose to burst her down immediately while ignoring Wilhelm--his Force Boost is far, far easier to deal with.

A Fire Jar + Link Order to Wilhelm'll deal more damage than a no-ailment Ailing Slash, although you'll see that this was basically pointless shortly.

Cross Charge's 200% speed modifier means Tyler can snipe Artelinde before she can do anything with Spellsword.

That'll teach yeh! Alright, just Wilhelm left!

Decent-ish damage. However, it's irrelevant, because...

That's not gonna be enough, old man!

Like I said, Artelinde and Wilhelm will activate their Force Boosts once the other one of them is killed, regardless of their HP level.

Accelerate gives Wilhelm a massive action speed boost, and changes Fire/Ice/Volt Rounds into random-target attacks that hit 3-4 times. This is far less dangerous than Spellsword, especially because...

...Everyone just hold for a bit. Trust me on this.
Wh-- F-fine.

I'm having everyone Defend. This might make you think my brain suddenly shut off while I was recording the fight, but trust me, there's a method to my madness.

Phoebe's the only one not defending, and I...actually lost track of Wilhelm's pattern here.

Leading to using Fire Wall when Wilhelm used Ice Rounds. OOPS.

Thankfully, the damage is pitiful thanks to Defend.

One more round of that stupidity later, and...

You're about to see why I just held for two turns.

I know what you're up to, Marksman, and I'm ready for it.
Phoebe? What're you doing?

Not even a scratch.
H-h-holy poo poo...
I don't entirely get how yeh guarded all of us from that, but drat fine job there, Phoebe.

That was an extreme form of a Force Break... It seems like it's drained all of Wilhelm's energy.

One final thing I was keeping secret: Artelinde and Wilhelm both have Force Breaks, which they use on the third turn of Spellsword/Accelerate: Nature's Will for Artelinde, and Mystic Shot for Wilhelm. Both of these don't use any body parts (only relevant for Wilhelm), and deal 16 instances of 250% damage (Almighty for Nature's Will, Stab for Mystic Shot) to the entire party. Both of them also do not check for accuracy, so evasion buffs/accuracy debuffs won't help you here. There is straight-up no way to survive either of them without Perfect Defense or True Endurance.

The only saving grace for both of them is that they kill Artelinde or Wilhelm after use. That was my entire strategy--kill Artelinde as quickly as possible because she's a far bigger threat than Wilhelm, and then just tank Accelerate and Mystic Shot, letting Wilhelm kill himself. This party simply did not have the AOE needed to kill both Artelinde and Wilhelm in time before they both became major threats.

Oh well, it's over now. I was dreading that fight going into it, since it's given me massive trouble in past playthroughs, and I was really concerned about whether or not this party would be able to actually win. Phoebe is the no-contest MVP here--any other party member wouldn't have been nearly as effective as her.

SYSTEM: They gaze at you with stunned countenances, unable to believe what has happened.

SYSTEM: Artelinde lifts her gaze to the sky as she mutters these words.
Didn't think we'd just lie down and die like the others, h--
Tyler. Enough. We've won.
SYSTEM: The old marksman behind her breaks his silence to address your party.

However...I have one favor to ask.
...What is it?
If you move onward, you will inevitably encounter the Ice Princess. You'll have to fight her. But...it was the ruler of the skies who put her in that state. For her sake... I want you to find the floating castle that even we couldn't reach. When you meet that overlord, kill him. In memory of all of his explorer victims...
SYSTEM: The old marksman trails off, hanging his head.
'S long as you two stop killing other explorers? Deal.
SYSTEM: He places a hand on the still-silent Artelinde's shoulder, leading her away into the snow.
...Farewell.

SYSTEM: You may continue from here, or return to town to make preparations.
Alright, good. Managed to get her hat.
...Ranger? Were you watching us that entire time?
Yep. I've been thinking about getting a new hat recently, and I always wanted Artelinde's.
I could've just given you one of my spares, if you wanted a War Magus hat.
Your hats don't have this cool thing on them, though.
Did you seriously swipe that thing as those two were both sulking out of here? How'd she not notice you?
I'unno, they just didn't seem to notice me. Did you guys have a really big argument or something?

Before I head back, there's a secret area over here.

With a Limit Break Grimoire. Limit Break is a Fafnir passive that lets a character's Force gauge go beyond 100 in battle. The Force gauge is reset to 100 after battle, however, and is still broken by Force Breaks.

I've always wondered why Abigail never seems to question why your party sells her cloth that's explicitly described as "stained...with a maiden's blood."

Zamiel Gun (+92 ATK, +20 TP) is unlocked by selling 1 Magic Casing. It's by far the best gun from the 3rd Stratum, with a really nice TP bonus attached.

Pointy Hat (+22 DEF, +1 TEC, +2 LUC) is unlocked by selling 1 Cursed Scrap. It's a very, very nice defensive upgrade, and the bonus stats are really nice. I'll buy one for everyone in the guild when I have the money to do so.

And so, one of the fights I was dreading the most is finished. Next time: the last part of 15F, and our first meeting with the Ice Princess.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 13, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The Story party is actually in a pretty good place for that fight simply because you have a Sovereign and a Protector. You still need to time everything right, but it's doable.

Without them...that fight can be a real roadblock. You absolutely need a way to either burst them down or block the damage, there is no surviving their Force Breaks. (For some of the SCCs they're nearly unbeatable without a massive level disparity, and I think they'd be just about impossible for a solo run.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know what's not fun? Eating Nature's Will right when you're one turn away from winning. :argh:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
After three stratums of rising tensions and ominous foreshadowing, we finally have our epic showdown with Guild Esbat.

So naturally this is one of the things the Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 opening cinematic chooses to flagrantly spoil. :v:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wondered...
If Hexers help make Dark Hunters and War Magi really awesome, would all three in the same party be semi-gamebreaking?
Because from what I've heard, outside of Fafnir, this game is the second best EO game in terms of balance (behind 4, obviously).

theshim
May 1, 2012

Junpei posted:

I wondered...
If Hexers help make Dark Hunters and War Magi really awesome, would all three in the same party be semi-gamebreaking?
Because from what I've heard, outside of Fafnir, this game is the second best EO game in terms of balance (behind 4, obviously).
The thing is, the two classes are kind of at cross purposes. Dark Hunters are strongest when using Ecstasy on fully bound targets, while War Magi get their huge boosts against targets with ailments. DHs can bomb ailment targets with Soul Liberator, but then that removes the ailment, cutting the legs out from the WM. The Hexer can work together with the DH (and technically the WM, lolrandomdisease) to maximize the amount of incapacitation, but it's not as strong as it might seem.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Junpei posted:

I wondered...
Not enough damage. Bosses in this game can survive a couple of fully-charged Ecstasies and Ailing Slashes, and once the ailments and binds wear off, your DH and WM will be doing jack poo poo thanks to accumulative resistance. And that's assuming you can even get it all set up, since bosses are pretty resistant to disables and DHs and Hexers are made out of tissue paper.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:allears: Beautiful. Please tell me he's going to keep it on when he transforms too.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Haha, yeah, I'm loving Ranger.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Crosspeice posted:

Haha, yeah, I'm loving Ranger.

I'm... ambivalent about him. Ragnar the Bloodedge seems to be writing him like:

: Derp! I'm random and weird! Because random and weird is funny! I get pissed off easily! I have a demonic superpower that gives me amnesia!

Junpei fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 14, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Junpei posted:

Ragnar the Bloodege

I can understand not liking Ranger, but what does this even mean?

The whole hat stealing thing was a bit out there, though. He wasn't even in the party, and he just suddenly showed up with that portrait.

Also, Artelinde's drop isn't from her dress.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 14, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I can understand not liking Ranger, but what does this even mean?

It's a classic Junpei Non-JokeTM by juxtaposing the OP's username with Ragna the Bloodedge, protagonist of the BlazBlue series.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

alcharagia posted:

It's a classic Junpei Non-JokeTM by juxtaposing the OP's username with Ragna the Bloodedge, protagonist of the BlazBlue series.
*ding ding ding*
We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen! Hats off to this poster!

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Y'know, this fight does raise the question of what Force Boosts look like on the receiving end of them. 'Cause, like, the Fafnir is the only one that changes portraits, if I'm not mistaken.

Of course, the design is so you can tell that, yes, Force is happening, I think it's a neat effect. (Also, it's really weird seeing other humans in the 3d style. There's something about it...)

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

AmewTheFox posted:

Y'know, this fight does raise the question of what Force Boosts look like on the receiving end of them. 'Cause, like, the Fafnir is the only one that changes portraits, if I'm not mistaken.

Of course, the design is so you can tell that, yes, Force is happening, I think it's a neat effect. (Also, it's really weird seeing other humans in the 3d style. There's something about it...)

Never mind Force Boosts, just imagine how the Force Breaks look with Wilhelm's animations

Look at that stupid goof, hahaha.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

AmewTheFox posted:

(Also, it's really weird seeing other humans in the 3d style. There's something about it...)

I think that's mostly because Yuji Himukai (EO series character designer) is the one who does the designs for boss versions of characters (Ren and Tlachtga in EO1, Kujura and Olympia in EO3, Kibagami and Logre in EO4) instead of Shin Nagasawa (the normal monster design guy), meaning the 3D modelers try to mimic his style, which looks considerably different from every other monster.

Junpei posted:

*ding ding ding*
We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen! Hats off to this poster!

That is not something you should be positively acknowledging.

Look, I can understand why you don't like Ranger. I will admit the hat thing was a little shaky, but it was a friend's idea and I liked it enough that I wanted to put it in even if Ranger wasn't in the party. But please, don't just make non-sequitur "jokes" for the sake of them.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

AmewTheFox posted:

Also, it's really weird seeing other humans in the 3d style. There's something about it...

Every EO game on the 3DS will have you facing off against human opponents at some time, just typically only once in a non-repeatable boss battle. It's actually something I wish was done more often, I tend to find these battles to be pretty fun since you can at least expect that they'll use buffed versions of skills you have access to, rather than everything being a guess until it hits.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Look, I can understand why you don't like Ranger. I will admit the hat thing was a little shaky, but it was a friend's idea and I liked it enough that I wanted to put it in even if Ranger wasn't in the party. But please, don't just make non-sequitur "jokes" for the sake of them.

It's good. I will admit that Demon Ranger is badass (and, in my head, Yuuki Terumi levels of hammy). It's just...
Random does not equal funny.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seeing them change colours while on Force Boost makes me wonder if the same happens on the player's side and you just can't see it. If so...man, now I'm thinking of colour schemes, as if this was a Jojo game where everything changes colours suddenly and for no reason.

Artelinde looks drat neat on blue though, wish she used that colour scheme more.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

He needs different hats, maybe a monocle. And it makes sense that he just wanders around the forest when he's not in the party, since that's how we found him anyway.

Junpei posted:

It's good. I will admit that Demon Ranger is badass (and, in my head, Yuuki Terumi levels of hammy). It's just...

It is all subjective, though. I have yet to read an EO LP that I didn't find entertaining, but I do greatly enjoy this series, so I'm obviously biased, so eh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Incidentally, you can't actually just disable Esbat on the 3rd turn of their Force Boost to make it so that their Force Boost wears off on the next turn. It's actually a permanent state.

Also yeah, those guys were utter chumps in the original game (unless you SOMEHOW ended up with a low damage party. :argh:) but EO2U went too far in the other direction with them.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Junpei posted:

I don't think you really have any right to tell other goons how they should be posting.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Incidentally, you can't actually just disable Esbat on the 3rd turn of their Force Boost to make it so that their Force Boost wears off on the next turn. It's actually a permanent state.
So what happens if you try? Do they just keep attempting their Force Breaks?

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

BlackPersona posted:

Never mind Force Boosts, just imagine how the Force Breaks look with Wilhelm's animations

Y'know, that animation reminds me of a certain guest's special attack in SMT3...

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So what happens if you try? Do they just keep attempting their Force Breaks?

Yep. Flame Demon does the same thing with Kingly Fire--if you stun her on the turn she's supposed to use it, she'll just try to cast it on the next turn.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Yep. Flame Demon does the same thing with Kingly Fire--if you stun her on the turn she's supposed to use it, she'll just try to cast it on the next turn.
It's worth noting that she won't do this if leg bound, only if stunned.

In other words, gently caress you for having a Gunner.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Leg Binding her or using another disable to stop Kingly Fire doesn't have her attempting to use that skill again for some reason. If that happens, she just moves to the next part of her pattern. Flame Demon actually has a "skill" that checks to see if she's stunned, so it tells the AI to keep casting Kingly Fire in that case. Flame Demon only has a Stun resistance of 10%, which means its incredibly unlikely to even pull that off outside of Supreme Bolt. And Supreme Bolt is a Force Break, so it can only be used one time. I don't know what they were thinking there.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't think you really have any right to tell other goons how they should be posting.

Replying to Junpei is a strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh yeah, I wanted to point this out and I forgot.

These games have awful translations full of errors and laziness but they corrected how awful this particular battle was and I think it is worth pointing out. Taking images from Dr. Fetus' LP...

The game just gives the generic "monsters have appeared" text in the original for a reason that can literally only be laziness. This is dumb as hell, of course, Now here...

...it makes sense! And this isn't the only correction, as their death had an interesting quirk...

(unrelated, I appreciate how the model for Artelinde keeps the same pose as her original sprite)

...namely, that since apparently the game saw them as normal monsters instead of something unique, we got a completely nonsensical "the" there, as if Artelind(e) and Wilhelm were a part of a race. Now...

...the game correctly refers to them as individuals.

A surprisingly good work of an otherwise flawed translation that literally copy-pasted the original without making changes where they were needed, if I understood correctly.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's probably less translation errors and more a programming slipup for classification of enemy types. EO2 was rushed as hell on both fronts so I'm not surprised there's stuff like that

Edit: vvv so yeah, there just weren't any exceptions for special enemies if that's the case

Reco fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 14, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Yeah, starting with EO3, the games started implementing the ability to override "Monsters have appeared!" with custom messages, such as "You stand before the Heavenbringer!" in EO4.

Atlus is actually SUPER lazy with cleaning those up from game to game--EO2U's battle message file still has, among others:
  • "Defeated the Abyssal King and Olympia!"
  • "The indescribable god has awakened!"
  • "You stand before the Heavenbringer!"
  • "The ultimate life form bursts forth from its larval body..."

As well as messages from the loving multiplayer functionality from EO3--"A communications error has occurred," among others.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

Wilhelm learned everything he knows about shooting from those "renegade cop who doesn't play by the rules" movies.

I do like the bullet holes in the screen effect, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Yeah, starting with EO3, the games started implementing the ability to override "Monsters have appeared!" with custom messages, such as "You stand before the Heavenbringer!" in EO4.

Atlus is actually SUPER lazy with cleaning those up from game to game--EO2U's battle message file still has, among others:
  • "The Abyssal King and Olympia have appeared!"
  • "The indescribable god has awakened!"
  • "You stand before the Heavenbringer!"
  • "The ultimate life form bursts forth from its larval body..."

As well as messages from the loving multiplayer functionality from EO3--"A communications error has occurred," among others.

Future-proofing. The moment they make EO3U or EO4U, they'll have the lines already in the game, and therefore they'll have less effort at that time. See, it's genius, not laziness. it's absolutely laziness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Future-proofing. The moment they make EO3U or EO4U, they'll have the lines already in the game, and therefore they'll have less effort at that time. See, it's genius, not laziness. it's absolutely laziness

I think my favorite is:

"The ultimate weapon has annihilated everything..."

Which is from EOU's story mode, when you fail to kill M.I.K.E. before the Gungnir timer runs out (iirc).

I'd estimate over half of the battlemessage table is just text from older EOs that Atlus didn't clean up for whatever reason.

• Locked thread