Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Stella Glow certainly goes places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I've been hearing some virtual console games won't play on older 3DSes. Is that true? And if so, which version of the 3DS should I get to avoid that problem? Would a 3DSXL work with any given VC game?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You should buy a New Nintendo 3DS.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

I've been hearing some virtual console games won't play on older 3DSes. Is that true? And if so, which version of the 3DS should I get to avoid that problem? Would a 3DSXL work with any given VC game?

This only applies to SNES VC games. The original isn't fast enough to run them properly, so they're New 3DS exclusive.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

Stella Glow certainly goes places.

I have to ask which part you're talking about just because of the sheer amount of nutty poo poo in that game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

You should buy a New Nintendo 3DS.

Zonekeeper posted:

This only applies to SNES VC games. The original isn't fast enough to run them properly, so they're New 3DS exclusive.

Sounds good. Out of curiosity, do older 3DSes have problems running newer games or is it just VC stuff? Like, could an old one run Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate or whatever?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It can, but the it runs and looks better on the New. MH4U is on the very short list of games that are new-enhanced

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shima Honnou posted:

Sounds good. Out of curiosity, do older 3DSes have problems running newer games or is it just VC stuff? Like, could an old one run Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate or whatever?

Yes the Old 3DS can run any game not marked as exclusive to the New (i.e. Xenoblade Chronicles). There will be differences for example, in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, texture resolution will be a little lower on the Old compared to the New. Another example is Hyrule Warriors Legends. That game runs at a slower frame rate than on a New and has less enemies on screen. Also some games disable some features of the 3DS in order for them to run and actually restarts your 3DS when you're done playing (i.e. Smash Bros).

Get a New.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This cowboy chick in Bravely Second sounds like Labrys from Persona Arena

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yeah, definitely getting a new.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shima Honnou posted:

Old 3ds: can't run SNES VC games. Can't run some new games. 3d works like shite.

New 3ds: Runs everything. 3d actually works.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think SNES VC, Xenoblade and Binding of Isaac Rebirth are the only things that straight up won't work on old 3DS.

Hyrule Warriors Legends might as well be on that list too since it seems unplayable on old systems.

EDIT: :downs:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 14, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BattleMaster posted:

I have to ask which part you're talking about just because of the sheer amount of nutty poo poo in that game.

I'm just about to wrap up Chapter 10.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hurdle Warriors Legends

Kirby spinoff I never knew I wanted.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm sorry I just can't take Dean Venture seriously in anything but the Ventureverse.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey i read through the OP and did some light research, but what is the best memory card for a N3DSXL? A big part of my enjoyment of my 3DSXL was having a 32G card and never worry about space, so I'd like the biggest NICE card the device can handle. Any goon recommendations?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey i read through the OP and did some light research, but what is the best memory card for a N3DSXL? A big part of my enjoyment of my 3DSXL was having a 32G card and never worry about space, so I'd like the biggest NICE card the device can handle. Any goon recommendations?

It'll handle the exact same SD card so you can just reuse the 32GB card from your original 3DSXL, unless you've already gotten rid of it.

IIRC 64GB is the absolute largest you can get, but there's not much point in buying a new 64GB card when it's going to take you forever to fill up your existing 32GB one.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 14, 2016

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought it used the mini-SD cards? Is that just for the regular 3DS? Last time I just bought the card that everyone in this thread was talking about, so it's the same one. Thats cool, I thought I had to go buy a Micro-SD reader

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uh, N3DS takes microSD so it won't.

The largest it can take normally is 32GB but it can take any larger size if you're willing to mess around with reformatting them to FAT32.
I've never come close to running out of space on my 32 but I buy a lot of physical games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lemon-Lime posted:

It'll handle the exact same SD card so you can just reuse the 32GB card from your original 3DSXL, unless you've already gotten rid of it.

Uh, that is a major wrong statement to do. It will be compatible with your existing SD card if it was a micro one to begin with. That is a big "if" when the larger SD cards are generally cheaper in comparison with their micro counterparts, so people will go with cheaper because their 3DS worked with either. That isn't true anymore, but it's not like most people who bought a 32 GB two years ago could have that sort of foresight.

e: beaten hard like that girl in the hit TV series Sopranos

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 14, 2016

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm getting fine performance from a 64GB Samsung EVO Micro SD in my N3DSXL, but you can go up to 128GB without any issues. The only reason a 32GB limit ever gets tossed around has more to do with Windows not natively formatting FAT32 onto devices larger than 32GB and Nintendo not using Exfat. It's not a hardware limitation on the part of the system. You need a Micro SD card for the New 3DS.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No, it does use Micro SD cards. Sony's SD cards are generally the best ones you can get for a 3DS and I think I'm using a Samsung with mine with no real problems thus far. 32 GB is probably a good size for one, but you could go 64 if you think you're going to get a ton of digital games. You may have to reformat 64 GB to FAT32 with third party software though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Uh, N3DS takes microSD so it won't.

Welp, my bad, I could have sworn the o3DS was micro too. :( Sorry for the incorrect info.

I used a 64GB Samsung Evo but eventually just downgraded to a 32GB Sandisk Ultra because even with every game I own digitally on the SD card I'm only using 2GB's worth of space.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

64gb are very affordable and the formatting thing is a 2 minute job so I would recommend those over a 32gb honestly.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I didn't play in Japanese or listen to them at all, so I can't say, sorry. I haven't time to check the Japanese voices over the course of a bunch of scenes to get a proper impression today, but I'll try to remember to and say so tomorrow but no promises.

English is definitely poor though, no question about that.

To answer this: The Japanese voice acting seems better quality but it's only slightly.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 14, 2016

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I'm using a sandisk 128gb microsd and its fine. I'd suggest 64gb max tho I didn't realize the size of games before buying this and I doubt I'll ever fill it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fire Emblem Fates LE just went up on Amazon ES for the long, long period of three minutes before they stopped taking preorders. I am pissed off.

If I knew people in Germany I would have asked them to receive a Saturn.de copy and reship it to me, but meh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have 2 questions regarding Bravely Second

1: In the Demo what are all the things I need to do to get the carry-over bonuses? It's more on me then anything but I found myself caught in the vicious loop of maxing out jobs when I've only just got the swordmaster and performer asterisks.

Also are they even worth doing? Only thing I remember getting from doing all the checklist stuff in Bravely Default was like a weak piece of armor that the first shop invalidated right away.

2: On the complete other end of the spectrum not going to ask who/what it is but is the final boss nearly as cool as BD's? Was just thinking about how that game ended on such a fantastic high note and I want to prepare for it to possibly be worse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have 2 questions regarding Bravely Second

1: In the Demo what are all the things I need to do to get the carry-over bonuses? It's more on me then anything but I found myself caught in the vicious loop of maxing out jobs when I've only just got the swordmaster and performer asterisks.

Also are they even worth doing? Only thing I remember getting from doing all the checklist stuff in Bravely Default was like a weak piece of armor that the first shop invalidated right away.

2: On the complete other end of the spectrum not going to ask who/what it is but is the final boss nearly as cool as BD's? Was just thinking about how that game ended on such a fantastic high note and I want to prepare for it to possibly be worse.

1. If you are enjoying the demo, it's worth doing. If you're not, it's not. It's that simple honestly. The rewards are cool enough, not game changing. You can get an Elixir but most people have a "yeah but what if I need it mentality and never use those." It's all curatives this time out, no weak gear.

2. The final boss music isn't nearly as cool as Default's final boss which hurts it in comparison but there are very few games that can match Default's OST. Rather than say "nearly as cool", I would say Second's final boss has memorable moments of its own that are quite satisfying in their own right.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough, only thing kind of making me worried about the demo is how addicted I am to leveling up the jobs again and I'm not sure if I should just hold off till the full game or not v:v:v

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

Nintendo couldn't get anyone to buy the New 3DS XL because there was very little to no reason to do so. In order to add more incentives they made SNES virtual console games N3DS exclusive. Has nothing to do with the hardware, Nintendo just wants to move their latest flagship version of the 3DS.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo couldn't get anyone to buy the New 3DS XL because there was very little to no reason to do so. In order to add more incentives they made SNES virtual console games N3DS exclusive. Has nothing to do with the hardware, Nintendo just wants to move their latest flagship version of the 3DS.
SNES VC game exclusivity is the fluoride in the water supply of the 3DS’ library.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I said come in! posted:

This seems unlikely, for reasons that have been mentioned before. Accurate SNES emulation requires a lot of processing power.

As an aside, it's still really weird that Nintendo didn't make Hyrule Warriors Legends N3DS-only, considering it barely runs on o3DS, that there's already a N3DS-only logo/box design, and that it would be something they could use to sell N3DSes.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

I said come in! posted:

None of this is true.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

SNES VC game exclusivity is the fluoride in the water supply of the 3DS’ library.

SNES games are good for your dental health :confused:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The new 3DS XL owns.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
8 Ways Nintendo Is Trying To Sap Your Precious Bodily Fluids

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Here is what happens when the SNES emulator is run on a system with the old 3DS's CPU clock speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7tNGQgEgSc

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Here is what happens when the SNES emulator is run on a system with the old 3DS's CPU clock speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7tNGQgEgSc

It's amazing how many people don't understand that SNES emulators get away with running games on o3DS by being less accurate.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The SNES VC conspiracy theory also conveniently glosses over the four years before the New 3DS, at least two of which involved Nintendo struggling to convince the public that the 3DS was worth owning. If they could have released a good SNES emulator at that point, there's no reason why they wouldn't have. But people are convinced that Nintendo wants to sell less software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The SNES thing isn't a "buy a N3DS" thing at all and isn't close to it. Xenoblade was but that game was a port of a Wii game most people who had interest in had played on Wii already.

Making Pokemon Sun & Moon N3DS exclusive would be a megatonne but it'd be silly in my opinion because people would feel wronged if they'd already got a 3DS and had to miss out on the biggest release in years for it.

Way I see the N3DS is that there's zero reason to not get one if you haven't got a 3DS already and zero reason to get one if you have a 3DS already. The handful of games better on it and Xenoblade aren't worth the cost of a brand new console, but it's great if you're jumping in.

e: Unless you want one that is, which is reason enough alone.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 14, 2016