Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Mannercookie is also a pretentious loving wank who was banned from Diablo 3 for showing an exploit on his stream and then posted a big shpiel on their forums about how he was a martyr who only did it to "force Blizzard's hand" when they didn't fix the bug quickly enough and they repaid him by banning him blah blah blah. He's a giant baby, basically. Any sane person would alt-f4 as soon as the loading screen froze. I play SC and I do it just to save time.
My client hangs during loading all the time, I leave it for 15 seconds or so and it unfreezes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Doing that in hardcore will get you killed.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Can someone explain to me how the Hierophant Ascendancy class is supposed to work? I just don't get it.

If you take Divine Guidance with MoM, you basically can't use the bonus because your mana pool needs to be 55% of your HP pool in order for you to actually be able to use the 10% conversion, and that's not realistic at all. If you don't take MoM, you get 10% damage reduction in exchange for not reserving your mana, which is also terrible. You can't do low life with MoM and Divine Guidance, because they don't apply to energy shield. Also, you can't go for Eldritch Battery, because that means all the mana and mana regeneration bonuses that Hierophant gives you are wasted. I can't come up with any kind of talent permutation that don't lead to about half the bonuses the class gives you being wasted.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Xequecal posted:

Can someone explain to me how the Hierophant Ascendancy class is supposed to work? I just don't get it.

If you take Divine Guidance with MoM, you basically can't use the bonus because your mana pool needs to be 55% of your HP pool in order for you to actually be able to use the 10% conversion, and that's not realistic at all. If you don't take MoM, you get 10% damage reduction in exchange for not reserving your mana, which is also terrible. You can't do low life with MoM and Divine Guidance, because they don't apply to energy shield. Also, you can't go for Eldritch Battery, because that means all the mana and mana regeneration bonuses that Hierophant gives you are wasted. I can't come up with any kind of talent permutation that don't lead to about half the bonuses the class gives you being wasted.

You're looking at this in like terms where you're trying to make it ridiculously optimal. You don't need to plan for maximum damage reduction against an attack that deals all of your characters life, and you can reserve a good chunk of your mana and still have that 10% damage reduction doing work.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Lungboy posted:

Doing that in hardcore will get you killed.

Nah, they added that minute long invincibility period.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

moush posted:

Nah, they added that minute long invincibility period.

True, although when it happens I tend to alt-tab to read a forum, forget I'm at a wp and die :)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ada posted:

Just found 2 exalts in a level 4 Zana daily, what are some fun things I can buy?

5l Marohi

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I am poopsock the poopsocker.

The clear speed is really poor and it doesn't really have anything to do with my actual damage. I have -23 movespeed so moving around and looting is very awkward. RF Totems is way more awkward than I had thought. I didn't realize that they didn't start the RF immediately and they have to actually take a second to cast the skill after dropping the totem. It's basically impossible to catch ranged stragglers that actively run away from your totems when you drop them, and good luck with torment ghosts. To be honest I might keep the gear and reroll as a Caustic Arrow character, but that will depend on how far I can get in level with this one before leveling becomes too miserable.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I made a RF character following a build on the forums a little while ago and when I first switched to using RF at around 65 it felt horrible. My regen with RF on was negative, my fire resist wasn't that high, and I only had around 4-5k ES and was getting killed everywhere I go. I was almost regretting this character. After a dozen or so more levels, and slowly upgrading my gear I'm now up to 8k+ ES with 88% fire resistance (still need more levels) with positive life regeneration. This is the most fun I've had playing this game. You are like walking death and anything that comes near you gets melted into oblivion and you can just face tank everything as long as you hit your Vaal Discipline. Right now I'm just missing the skill points to get my third curse and upgrading my jewelry and belt to get some ES on them. That and more fire resistance so my regen is higher. I made some videos of how this character plays if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz_0DBUC4WQ - Atziri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNvOfViRkrc - Crematorium map

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You should link to the build too!

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Why is RF available so early? Just to troll people?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

DemonMage posted:

You should link to the build too!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/660316

That was the build I used. Its not as expensive as it looks, I'm mostly self found with the Shavronne trading my Aegis Aurora I got early in the league from Cadiro for.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like varunastra is secretly op, there are a lot of nice weapon keystones and they can take otherwise crappy rare jewels and use all the random weapon bonuses on them, 1000% increased damage can be scary.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man the RF hate is making me wonder if I should continue my RF totem marauder. So far it's wrecking poo poo at level 44, hopefully it doesnt fall off too quickly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

queeb posted:

Man the RF hate is making me wonder if I should continue my RF totem marauder. So far it's wrecking poo poo at level 44, hopefully it doesnt fall off too quickly.

It's a little slow from what I've seen, but you'll be able to effortlessly kill deadly bosses.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like varunastra is secretly op, there are a lot of nice weapon keystones and they can take otherwise crappy rare jewels and use all the random weapon bonuses on them, 1000% increased damage can be scary.

I'm at 853% from tree and jewels. I have another jewel socket and may tweak my tree to have less health given I'm going to hit 6k. For a weapon that's 274pdps that's pretty amazing.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm playing with the idea of Varunastra crit reave because it has considerably higher base damage than daggers. The 5% base crit is low but Assassin, the increased crit strike gem and efficient pathing should make it really good, but I haven't done the math yet. I suspect that, in theory, it should be better than crit dagger reave.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

devoir posted:

I'm at 853% from tree and jewels. I have another jewel socket and may tweak my tree to have less health given I'm going to hit 6k. For a weapon that's 274pdps that's pretty amazing.

Are you including the 40% more modifier from being berserker?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I heard this rumor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv5vAylizAk

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 14, 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
I'm re rolling occultist on HC right now as a CI tricurse bladefall poison miner.

I'm having a hard time deciding on ascendancy points. Do I go for the +1 curse or take regen via vile bastion and just get +1 curse from gear.

Here's my tree

I've never played CI but this feels right I wish I could get the light radius notable but it feels like 3 wasted points for the qol

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
So I got a Mjolner, is it super expensive to get it working or is there a decent budget build for it? I'm mapping tier 6-8 so I have some decent income, but not like 10 ex or whatever. Looking for something fun to play on the side.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Are you including the 40% more modifier from being berserker?

No, not counting more modifiers. Just strictly the increased damage total from passive nodes and jewels. To me Aspect of Carnage is like having another free melee phys in my 6 link.

5 frenzy charges is another 20% more. Conc effect. Melee Phys itself. Less Duration.

And I'm going to experiment with Bloodlust, triggering 9+ second bleeds with puncture + increased duration.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

devoir posted:

No, not counting more modifiers. Just strictly the increased damage total from passive nodes and jewels. To me Aspect of Carnage is like having another free melee phys in my 6 link.

5 frenzy charges is another 20% more. Conc effect. Melee Phys itself. Less Duration.

And I'm going to experiment with Bloodlust, triggering 9+ second bleeds with puncture + increased duration.

Huh. I got ~550 from your tree.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

mirrorquiz posted:

So I got a Mjolner, is it super expensive to get it working or is there a decent budget build for it? I'm mapping tier 6-8 so I have some decent income, but not like 10 ex or whatever. Looking for something fun to play on the side.

To get a actually strong build that can do high tier maps you will need a very high budget to buy a Voll's Devotion.

If you check poe.trade Mjolner is pretty cheap now because it has not kept up with the times at all. I have posted it a couple times in this thread, but I heavily recommend people away from Mjolner unless they are 100% sure they want to do it. Between the nerf to Mjolner a few patches ago, the nerf to surgeons flask(for the crit version), and now the nerf to resist flasks, Mjolner has taken some huge hits to survivability lately. And it does far less damage than a CoC Discharge build does with similar budget.

Also if you thought CoC builds crushed your computer, they are nothing compared to Mjolner.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Lungboy posted:

Searing Bond doesn't count towards the totem limit

:aaa: didn't know that. I'm doing dual RF totem (not sure if I like it as much as I did dual spork or flame totems yet), what should I link with searing bond?

Also, how do I trigger elemental overload with dual totems? The build I'm reading mentioned using ice spear or lightning orb... Does EO trigger even when you don't do damage? Does lightning orb still place lightning stacks when you aren't doing any damage? Or does lightning orb do damage with dual totems?

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
Haha sounds pretty much like it's not worth it, I'll just sell it to someone with solid framerates. Unlucky, but thanks for the info. Is there a way to get into the goon guild, so I can not poo poo up the thread with questions? I haven't played since rampage and everything is different and scary.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Played a bunch over the weekend. Switched over from SRS to Earthquake and having a lot more fun being up in the poo poo. Most of my friends have already waned in interest after setting foot in to maps but I'm still having a great time and I'll probably look for a guild invite when I get home tonight. I have a couple of questions though:

1. Should I be using a single target skill with an Earthquake build? I ran the Merc Labyrinth at 71 this morning and it went ok but I didn't feel like I was doing all that much damage to Izaro, or not as much as I would have liked. Whatever guide I was using from the forums has Vaal Ground Slam in the second big link on the chest but I feel like AoE clearing is just fine with EQ and I might be better off with Heavy Strike + Faster Attacks, etc? The loving knockback on Heavy Strike is super annoying but still might be better.

2. [softcore] what is a Perandus coin worth? Or I guess more usefully, what's a good ratio of coins : chaos? I've had several people ask if I take coins instead of Chaos based on stuff they found on poe.trade, but I've declined just because I don't have a good idea of what it's worth. Cadiro is sometimes a good guy selling me 3 chaos for 150 coins, but more often than not he's selling poo poo uniques worth less than an alch for over 1,000. Anyone been trading in coins? I feel like I have a stockpile of chaos to buy most of what I need and would happily accept coins so I've got enough to pay for something sweet if I find it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Haerc posted:

:aaa: didn't know that. I'm doing dual RF totem (not sure if I like it as much as I did dual spork or flame totems yet), what should I link with searing bond?

Also, how do I trigger elemental overload with dual totems? The build I'm reading mentioned using ice spear or lightning orb... Does EO trigger even when you don't do damage? Does lightning orb still place lightning stacks when you aren't doing any damage? Or does lightning orb do damage with dual totems?

Yes, Orb triggers EO. You also want to use Elemental Equilibrium, which does NOT work with Lightning Orb, so you have to use Ice Trap to trigger it. I run a 4L Orb of Storms - Increased AoE - Ice Trap - Increased Critical Strikes. And no, you can't just drop the Orb and use Ice Trap for EO, because Traps getting crits does not count as "you" getting a crit.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Huh. I got ~550 from your tree.

My character's tree is not complete while I've been experimenting.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...H6aYxdr2TSOhjs=

This is what I'll be working towards. The remaining life nodes might be the last things to go on.

That tree is 790% total melee phys. I have 171% from jewels right now, and I have one more jewel slot so I should be able to break 1000% increased phys.

Edit: Forgot Berserker nodes. That takes the tree to 826%.

devoir fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 14, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Interesting, I wonder how your dps compares with a build using Marohi.

edit: Wait, so do you actually 24*3 +dmg from Deadly Dilenttete? That's crazy.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 14, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rurutia posted:

Interesting, I wonder how your dps compares with a build using Marohi.

edit: Wait, so do you actually 24*3 +dmg from Deadly Dilenttete? That's crazy.

Yep, and By the Blade is 48% damage, 10% accuracy, 16% evasion.

Haerc posted:

Elemental Focus, Increased Burning Damage, Rapid Decay, and Rarity all work. Last time I did RF totems I reserved too much mana to cast Bonds so I linked it with blood magic. edit - forgot about Less Duration, but I probably wouldn't use it.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 14, 2016

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Are people in the guild active? I'm kinda getting to like this game, running through cruel now with a spark hierophant templar at level 45.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

theres always people talking in gchat

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Awesome! posted:

theres always people talking in gchat

Gchat is fairly depressing most the time. I'd not recommend it unless you enjoy listening to the sad tales of lonely 30 year olds (AKA Goons).

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
There have been some rather haunting conversations wandering through gchat over the weekend!

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Sometimes you get to witness weirdos gquit over silly reasons like someone else saying "this game isn't very well optimized".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, let's talk 4 links, those supporting skill slots.

Trying to think of some decent links to use for a blade vortex necro with cybil paw, so far here is what I got.

Weapon - Haste, Hatred, Enduring Cry
Shield - Whirling Blade, Fortify, Faster attacks
Boots - High level CWDT, Stone Golem, Bone offering, Increased duration.
Gloves - Low level CWDT, Tempest Shield, Desecrate, Enfeeble

For helm, I'm drawing a blank on what to fill in, what I think might work.

Helm 1 - low CWDT - arctic breath - ball lightning - GMP, for large healing with cybil paw.
Helm 2 - Curse on hit, Blade Vortex, Power charge on crit, Curse. like someone linked earlier, but I don't know how good power charges are if your using controlled destruction to lower your crit chance and aren't investing heavily in crits.
Helm 3 - Bone offering, Faster Casting, increased duration, stone golem, as a alternate to the boot setup.

What are some other common 4 link setups these days?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 15, 2016

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Ultima66 posted:

I am poopsock the poopsocker.

The clear speed is really poor and it doesn't really have anything to do with my actual damage. I have -23 movespeed so moving around and looting is very awkward. RF Totems is way more awkward than I had thought. I didn't realize that they didn't start the RF immediately and they have to actually take a second to cast the skill after dropping the totem. It's basically impossible to catch ranged stragglers that actively run away from your totems when you drop them, and good luck with torment ghosts. To be honest I might keep the gear and reroll as a Caustic Arrow character, but that will depend on how far I can get in level with this one before leveling becomes too miserable.

I tried switching out of dual flame totems for RF totems and I went back pretty quickly. I can't get past the dinky little area of effect. Even with the increased AoE gem and nodes it's a real pain to hit anything that moves around. Meanwhile flame totems with projectile speed will hit everything on the screen, and they aim for you.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

MerrMan posted:

.2. [softcore] what is a Perandus coin worth? Or I guess more usefully, what's a good ratio of coins : chaos? .

Roughly 80 coins per Chaos. Check PoE.trade they have a currency tab too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Icetrap is absolutely ridiculous. I was starting a character thinking about doing trap cold snap or ice nova but there's absolutely no reason to with how strong the new trap is. Running +100% freeze duration from jewels and my amulet, and permafreezing at least up to T10 map bosses like nothing runnin a no crit saboteur build. Hardcore never felt this easy.

e: running a 5-link carcass jack. Blasphemy enfeeble + temp chains for more duration on freezes. I'm going to try to eventually get a frostbite in the mix but that'll require a +1 curses Rashkaldor corrupt, so that's a bit of a long term project.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 15, 2016

• Locked thread