Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if it counts as subtle, but its a minor not-plot related thing in Primer:

Before all the time-travel chicanery that goes on, three guys are discussing the technical issues behind a product, or something. I love the scene because (movie or not) I love listening to two people, intelligent in their field, discussing a problem or something in a high-level way. The kind of stuff they kept cutting away from in Mythbusters, and for some reason I really love that scene in the movie.

It's also a good indicator why they're usually cut out: because they're dull as poo poo if you don't understand what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's also a good indicator why they're usually cut out: because they're dull as poo poo if you don't understand what's going on.

Oh, I know why they cut it, I just like stuff like that, even if I don't really understand the discussion. I'd say it's akin to that ASMR poo poo, without the whispering and poo poo (and I'm not cranking my yank to it).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Deadpool isn't exactly a constant source of subtle moments, but I did get a bit of a kick out of learning that when they scrap a Helicarrier, they just dump the entire thing on a regular scrapyard.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, I know why they cut it, I just like stuff like that, even if I don't really understand the discussion. I'd say it's akin to that ASMR poo poo, without the whispering and poo poo (and I'm not cranking my yank to it).

I agree. When it's just a bunch of meaningless bullshit writers are trying to disguise as technical jargon it's not interesting to me because it's pretty easy to tell. With Primer, I felt like the characters were actually talking about something. Even if I, personally, didn't understand what it was. I liked that about it. It was a nice touch.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Deadpool isn't exactly a constant source of subtle moments, but I did get a bit of a kick out of learning that when they scrap a Helicarrier, they just dump the entire thing on a regular scrapyard.

Did you think it looked different from the Disney Marvel movies? Like a first generation model. I figured Fox didn't have rights to reproduce the same look as Marvel Disney and had to use a slightly different design.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the case, yeah.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krispy Kareem posted:

Did you think it looked different from the Disney Marvel movies? Like a first generation model. I figured Fox didn't have rights to reproduce the same look as Marvel Disney and had to use a slightly different design.

What I loved was the giant hole in the middle of it like Goku got really mad and then they don't talk about it at all.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of Deadpool was when Colossus grabbed Deadpool and said he was taking him to see "The Professor" and Deadpool responded by asking "McAvoy or Stewart? I can't keep all these timelines straight"

Not sure how subtle it was but the two friends I went with missed it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah that was the best joke, but I didn't hear anyone react to it when I went.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I checked the imdb trivia entries for Deadpool, so I guess take it with a grain of salt, but apparently during the showdown, Vanessa wears Wade's old jacket. If that isn't just the sweetest little touch I don't know what is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that was the best joke, but I didn't hear anyone react to it when I went.

Personally I just couldn't hear it properly. The line was delivered pretty off-handed, and to me it mostly sounded more like "mumblemumble or mumblemumble? I can't keep the timelines straight."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My Lovely Horse posted:

I checked the imdb trivia entries for Deadpool, so I guess take it with a grain of salt, but apparently during the showdown, Vanessa wears Wade's old jacket. If that isn't just the sweetest little touch I don't know what is.

I didn't notice the first time but she puts it on to go to the alley behind the club. I love their relationship.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Also in Deadpool, during the initial fight scene in the SUV, when one of the thugs starts smashing Deadpool's face into the audio console, it briefly plays the old Adam West "Batman" scene transition music.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

You guys are terrible. Thanks

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also the mustard/parmesan thing from AD was probably a shoutout to Martin Mull, who played Gene Parmesan and also Col Mustard in Clue.

That god damned show. Just when you think there's nothing more to get.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah I thought that was a joke about how the bachelor has nothing in his fridge but condiments.

I'm a bachelor that has nothing in my fridge but condiments.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It can be both!

If it's not a Martin Mull reference it's a weirdly specific coincidence.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
When it comes to Arrested Development I don't think anything is a coincidence.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sleeveless posted:

The subtlest joke in Idiocracy is that it's a stupid dick and fart comedy made by an Alex Jones listener that became an unironic argument for eugenics by idiots who think they're smarter than everyone else.

It also instantly shows that they don't understand 'regression to the mean' as it applies to IQ heritability, either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's not so much 'subtle' but appreciated - Cinderella 3 is a lot better than it should be, partially because it has the animation budget to do its premise justice. There are some cheats like at the beginning of the first song Cinderlla is facing a portrait wall so they don't have to animate her singing, but other scenes afterwards show a lot of love. For instance the fencing scene where the King and the Prince discuss the idea that the Prince is working off a flawed premise ("Breeding, refinement, these are reasons to marry, not their choice in transparent footwear!" and "So you think there's only one woman in the entire kingdom who wears a size 4 1/2?!" stand out as my favourite lines in that scene). There is no reason for them to fence, it would have saved money in the budget for them just to be having dinner or something but the scene is so much more lively and fun with the effort that they put in. The movie is a slapstick comedy through and through with Anastasia and Drizella both getting great gags based entirely on animation that other DVD movies (Looking at you Aladdin 2) wouldn't have had the budget to waste on.

There's also a few great bits of animation during the two times that Cinderella Get's exiled, first on the boat, then the pumpkin carriage. On the boat there are little bits on animation that are completely unnecessary but convey a lot of the mood. The first of these comes with the prince riding his horse under a closing portcullis, he tries to calm the horse with "it's ok, just don;'t look up" but after the horse (narrowly) makes it he gives a look towards the prince that just screams "If you ever pull that poo poo again I swear..." and when they arrive at the boat this happens (He calls her Cinderelly because he only knows her through the mice right now :3:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZAICdtyerM. I just love the look at 1.04 of "I can't believe I just did that... and survived..."

The Pumpkin Carriage scene is also fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5HTcEwTXGU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Obdicut posted:

It also instantly shows that they don't understand 'regression to the mean' as it applies to IQ heritability, either.
? Regression to the mean applies to random parameters, whereas heritability is the reason why a parameter would be non-random. What are you implying that the applicability would be?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Obdicut posted:

oh word?

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
The thing that annoys me about the beginning of Idiotcracy is that they set out to prove that Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest is wrong and survival of the best breeders is really how it works. Except Darwin's theory of evolution is survival of the best breeders (survival of the fittest was coined by Herbert Spencer and merged with Darwin's idea to form Social Darwinism). So by trying to prove Darwin wrong, they're actually proving him right, and not really accomplishing anything.

Going back to subtlety, while it's never specified in the movie, I realized partway through Children of Men that given Clive Owens and Julianne Moore's ages and the fact that the infertility issue started in 2009, they're actually millennials, which may explain why many of the characters their age have piercings and tattoos. While that's not exactly mind-blowing, I found it interesting to see people my age as they might look in the future (you know, minus the dystopian part).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

lambeth posted:

The thing that annoys me about the beginning of Idiotcracy is that they set out to prove that Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest is wrong and survival of the best breeders is really how it works. Except Darwin's theory of evolution is survival of the best breeders (survival of the fittest was coined by Herbert Spencer and merged with Darwin's idea to form Social Darwinism). So by trying to prove Darwin wrong, they're actually proving him right, and not really accomplishing anything.
It doesn't really sound like it was setting out to prove anything wrong?

quote:

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits ... evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most.

Freddles
Feb 5, 2009

lambeth posted:

The people who wrote that intro section had a pretty good understanding of natural selection. They didn't get it wrong.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The intro to Idiocracy is not the best, but it's a very good movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kinda like the part of the intro with the two families. Partially for the embittered 'smart' couple becoming barren (Well, it isn't my sperm count...) and the gag with every rock of the trailer adding a new person to their family tree. *ding**ding**ding**ding**ding*

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
The other day I was watching Beerfest (the Broken Lizard comedy about a secret international beer competition) and at one point this German guy calls out two big muscley dudes, and he calls them by name:

"HAMMACHER, SCHLEMMER!"

I knew when I heard these names there was something about them... but I couldn't put my finger on what it was.

Then I go to check the mail today, and sitting right on top of the pile is a Hammacher Schlemmer catalog...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammacher_Schlemmer

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Watched Boyz n the Hood last night. There's a well known diss to Eazy-E (who was beefing with Ice Cube at the time) by having a chain snatcher wear a "We Want Eazy" shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU7PDR6TKIM

I picked up on another Eazy diss later in the movie when Doughboy is talking about Ferris (the antagonist gangster whose group murders Ricky) by saying something like "He ain't nothing but a 27 year old fool still trying to be relevant thinking he all hard and gangster and poo poo." or something to that effect.

Eazy-E was 27 at the time Boyz n the Hood was released.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just realized one from Deadpool in the sex montage: International Women's Day is usually in the middle of lent. They're breaking lent with a strap-on session.

It's also today!

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
At the beginning of American Werewolf in London Jack and David cut the road and walk across the moors shortcutting their way to The Slaughtered Lamb . This foreshadows their later departure from the road which of course leads to the untimely demise of Jack.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching Black Dynamite the other day I noticed something kind of funny. BD has two big rear end shiny revolvers that he pulls out for a couple of scenes but on closer examination they're slightly different models, which fits in with the overall premise of the movie that it is supposed to be a cheap production and they wouldn't be able to find two of the same gun so they just went with something that looked close enough.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Watching Black Dynamite the other day I noticed something kind of funny. BD has two big rear end shiny revolvers that he pulls out for a couple of scenes but on closer examination they're slightly different models, which fits in with the overall premise of the movie that it is supposed to be a cheap production and they wouldn't be able to find two of the same gun so they just went with something that looked close enough.

Black Dynamite could fill a page of this thread. My favorite gag is the tear that keeps appearing and disappearing on Honey Bee's cheek.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Henchman of Santa posted:

Black Dynamite could fill a page of this thread. My favorite gag is the tear that keeps appearing and disappearing on Honey Bee's cheek.

For me it's a tie: the extra who gets injured by a stunt kick gone wrong and who is replaced and the black panther guy who reads the direction out loud.

"Sarcastically I'm in charge!"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

For me it's a tie: the extra who gets injured by a stunt kick gone wrong and who is replaced and the black panther guy who reads the direction out loud.

"Sarcastically I'm in charge!"

"the militants turn, startled. how'd you get in here???"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"I'm going to spend time with my family. Shows picture."

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
My favorite joke is when Bullhorn shows up in the pool hall. He slaps the dude, who gets mad and starts coming at him with a "Motherfucker!" and then there's a cut and it's a different actor. I like to think Bullhorn slapped the guy for real, then the actor got mad and they had to replace him.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

The Missing Link posted:

My favorite joke is when Bullhorn shows up in the pool hall. He slaps the dude, who gets mad and starts coming at him with a "Motherfucker!" and then there's a cut and it's a different actor. I like to think Bullhorn slapped the guy for real, then the actor got mad and they had to replace him.

Isn't hay the scene that Baron references three posts up?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
donuts dont wear alligator shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Pretty sure he's referencing one of the guys fighting BD in his dojo right before he gets the phone call. "What'd I tell you about interrupting my Kung Fu!?"