Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

camoseven posted:

You can do it, buddy!!! :unsmith:

Thanks! It's always nice to get some positive reinforcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

For me I think a lot of it is where in the career they are. I expect 4-5 jobs in the first 5 years. I'd fine 4-5 jobs in years 15-20 a warning sign.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Feels good to finally create a working app. Now to pray that the guys I'm interviewing with this week look at it lol.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Rurutia posted:

He's counting stock price increases, which isn't really total compensation so to speak. It's not really reliable and won't hold much leverage in negotiations.

Why doesn't this hold much leverage? It determines whether their offer is competitive or not. If it didn't count then no big company would ever be able to hire someone from another, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Safe and Secure! posted:

Why doesn't this hold much leverage? It determines whether their offer is competitive or not. If it didn't count then no big company would ever be able to hire someone from another, right?

Unless you think the stock price is going to keep skyrocketing up forever (in which case you're an idiot), it's misleading to count a price increase as part of your "total compensation" because it's something that you're no longer going to be benefiting from once your current round of stock grants have finished vesting. It'd be like including your signing bonus.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jabor posted:

Unless you think the stock price is going to keep skyrocketing up forever (in which case you're an idiot), it's misleading to count a price increase as part of your "total compensation" because it's something that you're no longer going to be benefiting from once your current round of stock grants have finished vesting. It'd be like including your signing bonus.

I don't know what internal math he is doing, but assuming you're at a large company with real HR you should ask your manager about target compensation.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Jabor posted:

How is that misleading? My current round of stock grants won't finish vesting until more than three years from now. That puts a probable floor on my current comp, since even if there's fall in stock price (which is just as likely to happen to the company I've been contacted by), I'll be getting extra grants over time that will mitigate it. Is it really misleading to say "Hey, thanks for reaching out, I'll likely make $X this year and there's no reason to think I won't next year, so can you beat that?"? How would companies like Facebook, LinkedIn, Netflix, Uber, Google, Microsoft, etc. ever hire from each other if they were like "hey, I know you're making a lot right now because your employer's stock price has improved, but that doesn't really count, so how about we offer you 3/4 of that?"

FamDav posted:

I don't know what internal math he is doing, but assuming you're at a large company with real HR you should ask your manager about target compensation.

Actually, I suspect that I'll see a raise if I don't get promoted by next year because I already suspect my salary is under target for my level at the company I'm at.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 14, 2016

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I just had my very first phone interview! I was nervous as hell, but managed to solve the questions given very quickly without any errors. I also explained my thought process along the way but it seemed like the interviewer didn't really care about that much? I hope I get a shot at doing some on site interviews. I have another phone interview with Microsoft this Wednesday; I hope I don't feel like I'm having a heart attack throughout that one as well.

One quick question: Should I apply for internships as a recent grad? I'd like to keep the option of doing an internship if I cannot get any normal jobs, so that I can get some out of school experience to put on my resume. At the very least it would be some interviewing experience, and I need a lot of those to overcome my anxiety of being put on the spot.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
just finished the google coding challenge. First problem was fairly easy, banged out a O(n) time solution in about 20 minutes. Second problem was difficult and I wasn't able to finish it, though I did include some comments on my planned strategy so hopefully that carries some weight, along with the code I did finish.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
edit: nm

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 15, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If I want to work in a small team, what field should I be trying to get into? Am I right in thinking that medical equipment would be low level languages?

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

People are doing salary shares (along with their year-to-year progression) on HN which I thought some people might be interested in since pay gets brought up a lot here. All different experience levels but people are giving context:

Amazon (+ random others)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11312984

Google (+ random others)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11314449

I think the year-to-year progressions are some the most interesting data points because I haven't really seen those around before.

edit: Amazon one has a lot of talk in it, Google one has more actual numbers.

edit 2: Facebook people made a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E1Jz00naFjdfP5RVC3AYDeDXHdkw8PfWZNhYV0e59oM
M / Caucasian, M / Caucasian, M / Caucasian...

let i hug fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 19, 2016

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
So my luck changed with getting responses back in the past few weeks. I had an on-site that went alright on Tuesday, but they went with another applicant who I know who was much more personable during his interview than I was haha. I have two on-sites next week and a phone screen. And there's one company i'm waiting to hear back from about a potential on-site.

It's been kind of luck that I got responses. One of my on-sites next week is with a company that has hired several App Academy grads in the past, so I knew they would take me seriously before applying. I've also been getting responses from AngelList actually. My profile on there isn't amazing but it is complete with projects, my resume, a portfolio site, etc. And whenever I find a company on AngelList I'll also apply through their website as well if they have a company job page.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

n4 posted:

they went with another applicant who I know who was much more personable during his interview than I was haha.

Remember, your interviewers are people. As much as they are looking for someone that can get stuff done, they are also looking for someone they think they won't hate working with.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

let i hug posted:

People are doing salary shares (along with their year-to-year progression) on HN which I thought some people might be interested in since pay gets brought up a lot here. All different experience levels but people are giving context:

Amazon (+ random others)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11312984

Google (+ random others)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11314449

I think the year-to-year progressions are some the most interesting data points because I haven't really seen those around before.

edit: Amazon one has a lot of talk in it, Google one has more actual numbers.

edit 2: Facebook people made a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E1Jz00naFjdfP5RVC3AYDeDXHdkw8PfWZNhYV0e59oM
M / Caucasian, M / Caucasian, M / Caucasian...

Is it just me or are these kind of on the higher end? I mean I don't know I think I'm paid fairly well but I'm not making half a million dollars in a year.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Is it just me or are these kind of on the higher end? I mean I don't know I think I'm paid fairly well but I'm not making half a million dollars in a year.

Yeah, plus you have to consider the unverifiable internet effect on the numbers. They're not crazy numbers though, but getting $500k a year in overall effective compensation is not a typical kind of thing. When you are one of a handful of people with key knowledge of the code and use cases of primary profit centers worth billions and billions of dollars? You might just be underpaid at $500k.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: guess the required job skill here:

quote:

Software Developer

We are looking for exerience within the following:
  • Classic ASP
  • JQuery
  • JavaScript
  • SQL Server Programming
  • C#

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Brainfuck

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

MrMoo posted:

Sounds like something straight outta the 90s. Maybe the pay is in Air Jordans?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

baquerd posted:

Yeah, plus you have to consider the unverifiable internet effect on the numbers. They're not crazy numbers though, but getting $500k a year in overall effective compensation is not a typical kind of thing. When you are one of a handful of people with key knowledge of the code and use cases of primary profit centers worth billions and billions of dollars? You might just be underpaid at $500k.

There's literally thousands of people at google with that level of compensation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

b0lt posted:

There's literally thousands of people at google with that level of compensation.

3.6 million software developers in the US though.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Elements of Coding Interviews has some great and hard questions, but my god the explanations and the actual code itself can be tough to follow. It's like a machine wrote the book. Several times I thought I had the problem completely wrong when I realized the solution is doing the exact same thing in a weirdly obscure way that would never occur to me in an actual interview.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

b0lt posted:

Yeah but I mean, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay is like $97k for developers (http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm#tab-5), which means, you know, more than half of developers are not even pulling down six figures. Yet there is hardly anyone in those links who falls into that category. Maybe it's geography? Just self-selecting? HN readers tend to be better paid? I don't know.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Would it be safe to say those companies aren't hiring median employees?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Gounads posted:

Would it be safe to say those companies aren't hiring median employees?

Would it? They certainly would claim they aren't, but who knows how much we should trust that judgement? I've never heard anyone say they're looking for average programmers. And I can't think of any totally objective standard; someone who excels in one environment may do poorly in another.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah but I mean, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay is like $97k for developers (http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm#tab-5), which means, you know, more than half of developers are not even pulling down six figures. Yet there is hardly anyone in those links who falls into that category. Maybe it's geography? Just self-selecting? HN readers tend to be better paid? I don't know.

It's like big law lawyer salaries. If you have the right skillset from the right school and get in at the right company and perform well, you can make an absolute gently caress-ton as a software engineer. If you barely make it through a mediocre college and can only just barely code your way out of a paper bag, you're going to be making maybe $40k a year fresh out of school.

Also like lawyers, if you can go into business for yourself and land clients, the profit potential is basically limitless.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

baquerd posted:

It's like big law lawyer salaries. If you have the right skillset from the right school and get in at the right company and perform well, you can make an absolute gently caress-ton as a software engineer. If you barely make it through a mediocre college and can only just barely code your way out of a paper bag, you're going to be making maybe $40k a year fresh out of school.

Also like lawyers, if you can go into business for yourself and land clients, the profit potential is basically limitless.

That seems like a questionable comparison. I have a degree in Japanese literature; I would not even be allowed to practice law but I can work as a software developer with no issue.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Would it? They certainly would claim they aren't, but who knows how much we should trust that judgement? I've never heard anyone say they're looking for average programmers.

Two phrases come to mind - "actions speak louder than words" and "put your money where your mouth is".

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That seems like a questionable comparison. I have a degree in Japanese literature; I would not even be allowed to practice law but I can work as a software developer with no issue.

It's not about the qualifications that I'm comparing software to law, but regarding the distribution of salaries.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

baquerd posted:

Two phrases come to mind - "actions speak louder than words" and "put your money where your mouth is".

What does that mean? That I should apply? I mean clearly they are very selective; the question is whether their process selects the people who are, objectively, "the best" programmers. I don't know that this question is even possible to answer.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

What does that mean? That I should apply? I mean clearly they are very selective; the question is whether their process selects the people who are, objectively, "the best" programmers. I don't know that this question is even possible to answer.

Answer doesn't matter.

They think it is and they base compensation on that belief.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Gounads posted:

Answer doesn't matter.

They think it is and they base compensation on that belief.

Yeah, fine, but then just saying "those guys are above-average programmers" isn't really accurate; more accurate to say that they work for companies with generous compensation.

e: To take this away from the realm of the philosophical, one of those spreadsheets isn't limited by company and includes industry and stuff but there is almost no one who doesn't live in SF or NYC and almost no one who makes less than six figures (and very many north of $200k) so either NYC and SF have considerably higher salaries than other cities (which I'm sure is true, but to this extent?) or else there is some other reason these people are not representative.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 21, 2016

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
It's also a self-selected group of people willing to share. I wouldn't be surprised if higher earners were more willing to share or something.

These numbers don't look insane to me, a former Boston area engineering manager.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

This is nation-wide. They also provide stats for metropolitan areas which you should use instead.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Yeah, fine, but then just saying "those guys are above-average programmers" isn't really accurate; more accurate to say that they work for companies with generous compensation.
Yes, perhaps programmers at Facebook and MS are totally average and got their high compensation through sheer dumb luck, but that sounds a lot less plausible than the alternative of "those companies pay more so that they can successfully attract better-than-average programmers".

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Cicero posted:

Yes, perhaps programmers at Facebook and MS are totally average and got their high compensation through sheer dumb luck, but that sounds a lot less plausible than the alternative of "those companies pay more so that they can successfully attract better-than-average programmers".

I think it would be fair to say that high quality corporate culture/development principles can bring even a median developer to very productive output and when companies can take advantage of that they have more money to spend on making sure their programmers stay with them.

I think the question of whether top tech companies' programmers are truly "better" or not could go either way, but the difference in company cultures is a huge factor in what they ultimately produce.

What top tech companies can do that other companies can't is target the very top of the top engineers who have proven themselves elsewhere and pay them incredible sums of money because they recognize that keystone engineers have a huge role in bringing everyone else up to snuff. But that's less than 5% of the developer population and a small part of even those large companies.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

I would also say that in companies that aren't any kind of "tech company" - big or small - software developers are almost inherently undervalued and underused, which then leads to lower developer salaries outside of the proper "tech industry".

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
The BLS statistics also claim that the median "computer programmer" makes $20k less than the median "software developer," so I guess there are issues with that data too.

e: Web developer is even lower so I guess I'll make sure not to describe my job that way

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 21, 2016

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Some space opened up in my resume recently; I'm listing 3 projects I hope can wow HR and managers alike.

http://i.imgur.com/SyuecG1.png

Just looking for general impressions. Good / No Good? Too much detail / Not enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

let i hug posted:

I think it would be fair to say that high quality corporate culture/development principles can bring even a median developer to very productive output and when companies can take advantage of that they have more money to spend on making sure their programmers stay with them.
Yes, an effective culture is great for increasing productivity, but I'm not sure average tenure at these high-paying tech companies is any higher than average for the industry.

quote:

What top tech companies can do that other companies can't is target the very top of the top engineers who have proven themselves elsewhere and pay them incredible sums of money because they recognize that keystone engineers have a huge role in bringing everyone else up to snuff. But that's less than 5% of the developer population and a small part of even those large companies.
Yes, but even junior and mid-level engineers at these kinds of companies are paid very well. Better than most senior engineers at other, less trendy companies, I think.