Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Gilgameshback posted:

Sorry, meant to write Leadership - the pink rune.

Building a two color deck that combines one of the martial spheres (Tactics or Leadership) with Lore or Spirit will help a great deal. The single color decks in the core set are not well balanced. Tactics/Spirit is my current favorite because it combines very strong questing with enough combat strength to deal with most enemies fairly easily. Make sure to include three copies of Gandalf!

Even with the complete card pool, there aren't many viable monosphere Tactics decks.

I love the game despite not really enjoying the deck construction part of those games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Should I grab a couple of the first cycle's adventure packs and deckbuild a little before deciding to permanently shelf LOTR? I can't understate how much I really want to like this game, I'm constantly pining for good solo games.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

I played a few games of Viceroy and didn't like it, while everyone else thought it was amazing. Am I an idiot?
Apart from hoping to get lucky draws, I didn't like the auction system since some cards seems plain better than others, so it was often a choice between getting nothing but gems, or letting the other guy get this great card.

I didn't find it particularly interesting either. Traded it for Elysium and never looked back. Similar game with obtaining cards from a shared pool and tableau building with a twist, but much more enjoyable and interesting imo.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

dropkickpikachu posted:

Should I grab a couple of the first cycle's adventure packs and deckbuild a little before deciding to permanently shelf LOTR? I can't understate how much I really want to like this game, I'm constantly pining for good solo games.

I found this very helpful when deciding what to get:
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

My brother is coming down from NYC and he loves these kinds of games, so I'll probably be able to get a 5p game in this week. Interested to see how it plays if 3 players become loyal to one country, or even if it becomes a 2v2v1.

Also have you played the Chicago Express expansion? Is it any good? I've been thinking about that or American Rails until I can get the courage to buy 1889.

I have not but it seems highly regarded by the aficionados.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The weirdest thing about LotR to me is that the base set has a card that literally almost doubles your resource income. As a single copy. How someone thought that was a reasonable design is a bit beyond me.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Jabor posted:

The weirdest thing about LotR to me is that the base set has a card that literally almost doubles your resource income. As a single copy. How someone thought that was a reasonable design is a bit beyond me.

Steward of Gondor? There are two.... but only one can be in play at a time :v:

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Jabor posted:

They only put one copy of the really good consoles in each Netrunner Core Set too. FFG knows what they're doing: Getting your money.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

dropkickpikachu posted:

They only put one copy of the really good consoles in each Netrunner Core Set too. FFG knows what they're doing: Getting your money.

This is why NetRunner failed at our house. Every loving time a deck came out my soul died a little knowing I would buy it and only use 12% of the cards.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

All the post-core set packs come with complete playsets of all of the cards in them. Which isn't to say you're going to use more than 12% of them :v:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Got a chance to play a few new games this week.

First up was Loony Quest, a game I had never heard of that ended up being really neat. Basically this is a dexterity/drawing game that is simulating levels of a platforming video game. Each main stage has a few maps with different objectives that you have to follow. A square map is placed in the center of the table with instructions on how to score and lose points. Each player then gets a clear plastic sheet with the same dimensions of the map. Once a timer is started, the players have to draw on their own sheet a path that, when overlayed on the main map, will hit their objectives while missing the monsters and other obstacles. Sometimes objectives are "start in this corner, end in this corner while avoiding the blocks and picking up bonus points" and some can be "draw circles around these points" and some other similar challenges. You can pick up bonuses that let you screw over other players (must keep one eye covered, must balance a token on the end of your pen) and the end of each level has a boss stage and then a bonus round to collect extra points. I was really surprised by this game. We played the first level and it was neat, and the 2nd stepped up the challenge by a huge margin. I believe the game comes with 8 full levels with 5 or 6 maps per level. I can see how this may wear thin after a few plays but it was a fantastic party game for a few rounds.

Yesterday I was finally able to bust out War of the Ring: 2nd Edition with a friend. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to re-read the rules before playing so I was running off of a 3 month old rules memory so we blundered through the game with a bunch of questions most of the time. For anyone who doesn't know, this is a 1v1 wargame set in Middle-Earth where one player controls the Free Peoples and the Fellowship of the Ring trying to destroy the ring, while another player is the Shadow Armies trying to destroy the Free People or corrupt the ring bearers. This was our first wargame so a lot of tiny rules were a bit hard to keep track of. After 4-ish hours we had to call it quits but we are excited to play a game again next time with a better understanding of the rules. We forgot the rule about the Free People player not having unlimited units, so my friend turtled the entire game while my shadow forces bashed against fortifications turn after turn losing units. He was too afraid to move the ring-bearers as "I might find them" so they stayed pretty close to Rivendell where they started the entire time. I'm pretty sure if we would have remembered the fact that his units are not infinite I would have worn him down eventually. He didn't want to believe me that taking Frodo to Mount Doom was the preferred strategy over military for the Free Peoples. He's also the kind of guy who would exclaim "this game is bullshit, it's so stacked against me!" every time I played an event card that benefited me in the slightest, so that was a bit much after the first hour since we both play those cards the entire game.

I'm excited to play both of these again soon. War of the Ring seems like one of those games that will be great to bust out for a full day of playing 2 or 3 times a year.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So we are thinking of getting the LOTR LCG for our group but I think we will mostly play it with 2 players.

Should we get 2 core sets?

We both used to play some ccgs in the past and enjoy deck building so 2 core sets would just support that, right?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Selecta84 posted:

So we are thinking of getting the LOTR LCG for our group but I think we will mostly play it with 2 players.

Should we get 2 core sets?

We both used to play some ccgs in the past and enjoy deck building so 2 core sets would just support that, right?

I'd say proxy Gandalf the cards you think you need more of.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

I'd say proxy Gandalf the cards you think you need more of.

I hate proxies....

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Selecta84 posted:

I hate proxies....

Looks like you're ponying up for a second core set then?

You could always look online and see if anyone is selling singles, though sought after LCG cards are likely to be pretty expensive to the point where you may as well just get the extra full set.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

MikeCrotch posted:

Looks like you're ponying up for a second core set then?

You could always look online and see if anyone is selling singles, though sought after LCG cards are likely to be pretty expensive to the point where you may as well just get the extra full set.

We are going to share the costs. so that's not an issue.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Then yeah, get two. Or get one and if you like it get a second one.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

Then yeah, get two. Or get one and if you like it get a second one.

Oki doki

And it's on the way...

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 14, 2016

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Hey guys, is Arboretum any good, this seems like a real nice price for it, but I want opinions before I sell my other kidney.

http://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-Arboretum-Card-Game/dp/B01A9NE8CS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457965899&sr=8-2&keywords=Arboretum

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Goddam that's some pricing bot gone insane.

I loved it but don't own it yet. There are basically ten suits (trees) numbered 1-8 (I think). You have a draw-or-pick-up-discard thing going on. You play trees one at a time in front of you in a grid sort of pattern - trees must be orthogonal & adjacent to existing trees. This is your park/garden/arboretum. You want to have at least two a tree type (ideally more than just one type), and the pair of them ideally as far apart from one another as practical (the further the higher scoring). However you can't take forever building a monster arboretum because you'll plain run out of available cards or time. Plus you need to actually score it.

The idea is you want to make "paths". A path starts and ends with the same type of tree (e.g. an oak) with any other trees in between but if they are ALL the same tree then it's worth more. The longer the path, the higher its value. But you can't spend all your time making a huge monster path because not all paths get scored or completed.

When scoring rolls around, you score each suit one at a time. For each suit (tree type), the person with the highest # card of that suit in their hand (i.e. unplayed) gains the right to score it. No one else scores paths of that tree type.

The game's worky bits are not just building paths and making sure you can score them, but also the fact that it's played one card at a time and you can see your opponents' arboretums - such as what they are (apparently) going for or what they have (apparently) given up on. Add into the mix the fact that you will go through the entire deck and see most of the cards get played or discarded in the process, and it's a pretty neat game with a lot of space for decisions to affect outcome.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Any tips for teaching/running a game of Puerto Rico? No one (including myself) has played before.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It's pretty straightforward. Some questions that popped up on my first game:

- Trader and Captain bonus apply only once, no matter how many times you trade/ship cargo in a round.
- The Harbour and the Small or Big Market work each time you ship or trade goods, respectively, so they are better than the Trader or Captain bonus.
- The Governor moves counter-clockwise, the last player in a round will be the first player on the next one.
- You don't clean stuff from ships/market as soon as they are full, you wait until the phase ends.
- You need a worker on a building (including the big 10 coins buildings) in order to get their benefits. You get their VP value whether they are occupied or not.
- You can move slaves colonists around on your isle on every Major phase. You have to assign all of them to a building/plantation if possible.

And some tips:

- Money is more important early than VPs.
- Producing the same good as the player on your right is a bad idea.
- You kinda need a cash crop, buildings are an important source of VPs. It's possible to go full corn and win, but it's a slog.
- Forcing the other players to ship the stuff they'd rather sell (coffee/tobacco) is a good idea.
- The Craftsman is a very dangerous role, because you're dead last if the next player decides to ship or sell.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I'm starting to get into board games again for the first time since I was a child. I am a complete sucker for cooperative experiences in games in general. I was looking at Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, and I saw the suggestion of Space Alert (which sounds rad as gently caress) in the OP. What are some other good co-op board games?

Tangentially related, my friends and I played Lords of Waterdeep last night and it was pretty rad. Would play again, easy to pick up and by the fourth turn we had a good grasp on what was going on. I'll still take a team game any day of the week, but there was a bit of guilty pleasure in doing things like resetting all of the quests on the table when I knew the guy to my left wanted one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm starting to get into board games again for the first time since I was a child. I am a complete sucker for cooperative experiences in games in general. I was looking at Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, and I saw the suggestion of Space Alert (which sounds rad as gently caress) in the OP. What are some other good co-op board games?

Tangentially related, my friends and I played Lords of Waterdeep last night and it was pretty rad. Would play again, easy to pick up and by the fourth turn we had a good grasp on what was going on. I'll still take a team game any day of the week, but there was a bit of guilty pleasure in doing things like resetting all of the quests on the table when I knew the guy to my left wanted one.

:eyepop:
Hello me from 2 years ago! Don't get Pathfinder Cards, they are bad! Lords of Waterdeep is fun, but if you like that you will like Agricola 100X more, get it ASAP and throw Lords of Waterdeep in the trash.

As for Co-Op games, the best ones are Arkham Horror (and derivatives) and Pandemic (and derivatives). The resistance is pretty fun too, and could be considered "co-op" Avoid Robinson Crusoe if you want to play it co-op (get it for solo though), Dead of Winter, and Betrayal at House on the Hill, they are all traps.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 14, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
Hello me from 2 years ago! Don't get Pathfinder Cards, they are bad! Lords of Waterdeep is fun, but if you like that you will like Agricola 100X more, get it ASAP and throw Lords of Waterdeep in the trash.

As for Co-Op games, the best ones are Arkham Horror (and derivatives) and Pandemic (and derivatives). The resistance is pretty fun too, and could be considered "co-op" Avoid Robinson Crusoe if you want to play it co-op (get it for solo though), Dead of Winter, and Betrayal at House on the Hill, they are all traps.

The best co-op game is actually Mage Knight (shame on you, Rutibex), and it is better than Pandemic and orders of magnitude better than Arkham Horror. Space Alert is indeed rad as hell but due to both the technical requirements and the real-time nature of the game, it gets to many tables less often.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I doubt Space Alert gets to tables less often than Mage Knight, unless you are counting Solo and 2 player plays...

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

homullus posted:

The best co-op game is actually Mage Knight (shame on you, Rutibex), and it is better than Pandemic and orders of magnitude better than Arkham Horror. Space Alert is indeed rad as hell but due to both the technical requirements and the real-time nature of the game, it gets to many tables less often.

I would not reccomend Mage Knight to someone new to the hobby. It's a goddamn beast of a game, the rules explanation alone could take an hour. Like, I'm sure it's great and all, I don't know, I'll literally never play it. But it definitely shouldn't be reccomended as someone's first co-op game.

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm starting to get into board games again for the first time since I was a child

Pandemic and Flash Point are fantastic co-op games, and I've played Pandemic with family members who've never played a game harder than Cluedo.
Eldritch Horror is definitely a meatier game, but it's a drastically improved version of Arkham Horror in literally every sense. They all play best with 4 players in my opinion, so roughly how big is your group?

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 14, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I would not reccomend Mage Knight to someone new to the hobby. It's a goddamn beast of a game, the rules explanation alone could take an hour. Like, I'm sure it's great and all, I don't know, I'll literally never play it. But it definitely shouldn't be reccomended as someone's first co-op game.

I would hope you wouldn't recommend it, since you say you don't know the game, but that also undermines your authority for saying it shouldn't be recommended. This is not Tsurupettan's first co-op game, and they found Lords of Waterdeep easy to pick up. It does represent the deeper end of the pool, but it's not that complicated, especially if the person teaching has at least done the tutorial once or twice.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm starting to get into board games again for the first time since I was a child. I am a complete sucker for cooperative experiences in games in general. I was looking at Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, and I saw the suggestion of Space Alert (which sounds rad as gently caress) in the OP. What are some other good co-op board games

Just a slight tweak to some earlier suggestions: if you have anything like a consistent group, Pandemic Legacy is a super great co-op that's very accessible. The game has sort of a meta-story that unfolds over the course of many games (with each gaming session being essentially a game of "normal" Pandemic). Legacy games feel a bit crazy to start (you make permanent changes to the game by playing it), but PL has been a real hit for all the groups I've seen try it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

homullus posted:

I would hope you wouldn't recommend it, since you say you don't know the game, but that also undermines your authority for saying it shouldn't be recommended. This is not Tsurupettan's first co-op game, and they found Lords of Waterdeep easy to pick up. It does represent the deeper end of the pool, but it's not that complicated, especially if the person teaching has at least done the tutorial once or twice.

Saying "Well, they can play Baby's First Worker Placement Game, they're ready for Mage Knight!" is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in this thread, and I don't have Rutibex on ignore. It's a game that literally needs a three hour series of tutorial videos to learn. it sure as hell can't be learned from the two loving awful rulebooks.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

homullus posted:

Lords of Waterdeep is not a logical progression to Mage Knight. I was writing more words here but Jedit beat me to it. :3:
I've also enjoyed Ghost Stories which is hard as hell so not to everyone's taste but it's a co-op too.

If you'll allow team based games like The Resistance [which is excellent] you might want to look at Fury of Dracula, where one player plays as dracula and a team of 4 hunters try to beat him up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

Saying "Well, they can play Baby's First Worker Placement Game, they're ready for Mage Knight!" is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in this thread, and I don't have Rutibex on ignore. It's a game that literally needs a three hour series of tutorial videos to learn. it sure as hell can't be learned from the two loving awful rulebooks.

Well-reasoned counterpoint: you are a dumb angry baby about Vlaada Chvatil's games, which are quite good! Tsurupettan, keep Mage Knight on your radar, but it probably shouldn't be your next purchase.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

If you liked Lords of Waterdeep you should definitely check out Caylus and Agricola because they're both much better worker placement games, and basically what Lords of Waterdeep is is trying to knock off. But Caylus and Agricola are different enough that you may like one and not the other, depends on what parts of LoW your group liked.

I think Caylus is one of the best games in the Worker Placement genre.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Alternatively, you may want to try Viticulture instead as a Lords of Waterdeep alternative. Caylus and Agricola are both good, but Caylus can be very cutthroat due to the mechanics allowing for players to gently caress each other over, while I've seen people talk about how stressful Agricola is in getting food and getting locked out of certain actions. I love both games and your group may too, but they're not for everyone. In contrast, Viticulture is a lot less stressful and pretty simple to pick up on while still having enough depth, especially with the most recent edition that includes some of the better elements from the expansion.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

homullus posted:

Then I'll say it as someone who has tried to run through the tutorial. It is a cumbersome, fiddly game with an awesome idea that I'm sure I could enjoy if I wanted to pump 6 more hours into the experience.

As for coop games:
Pandemic will be my go to for coop. It's concise with a clearly defined goal and end point. Has a few expansions that can extend the experience. You are a team of scientists trying to cure the world of four diseases while managing outbreaks. If you have a steady group of four people, consider getting pandemic legacy. It's separate from the base game, but it gives you a campaign of sorts. I've heard nothing but good things about it, even from people who don't like base pandemic.

Hanabi will teach you to loathe your teammates. You are trying to play a 5 sets of cards in order from 1-5 with the caveat of being unable to see your hand. You spend your turns giving clues, gaining clues, or playing a card.

Eldritch Horror is fiddly and long, buy I don't think it's that difficult to learn. You're a team of researchers trying to figure defeat an Eldritch. You roam around the world gaining Stat boosts, equipment, and completing quests. It will have you throwing buckets dice to resolve your problems, but you are given enough tools to mitigate it.

Games I would avoid:
Ghost Stories. Very difficult, and depends way too much on individual dice rolls.

Mice and Mystics. Also a lot of dependence on dice rolls. You can be roped into a situation where it is more advantageous to skip your turn than play it, which is the opposite of what I want to do in a board game.

Legendary: this isn't a coop game, don't be fooled.

Sentinels of the Multiverse. You spend most of the game keeping track of the stats on the enemies. The characters often have 1-3 cards they depend on to work, but you have no tools to get to them, meaning you can be useless moat of the game. A lot of the bosses have cards that will reverse entire turns of play, extending the game for no good reason.

Games that are okay:

Samurai Spirit. You are managing the enemies by either attacking them and sacrificing health, or defending them. You get up to three defenses a round, but you have conditions on which you can defend. It's a simple game, albeit difficult, but it's also not very exciting to me. Noting bad to say other than it didn't click really.

Shadowrun Crossfire. Deck building game. It's difficult, the rule book is written poorly, and there are some cards that need to be removed from the game. However, you do get to customize your character both in each mission and over the long term. It also feels more like a logic puzzle at times where there is one optimal play, and everything else will fail. Still, it can be a good romp if you have a somewhat steady group.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jedit posted:

What is it with you and rulebooks

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

To be fair Mage Knight's rulebook kinda blows

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Oh hey, I just got an email saying that that Kemet + expansion order I placed this Christmas has finally been sent. :toot:
And apparently I also ordered a new copy of Love Letter, so now we won't have to play with a damaged Countess card anymore. Oh and Ginkgopolis; I don't remember why I wanted to get that but I'm sure it'll be good.

Shadow225 posted:

Games I would avoid:
Ghost Stories. Very difficult, and depends way too much on individual dice rolls.
I like Ghost Stories, but you need to have a group of four people that are up for a game that is hard and can just gently caress you by way of dice rolls, so yeah. Not really something to just recommend.

I like both Hanabi and Pandemic, but those three games are all the co-op board games I have played, so I can't really say how well they stack up against other games, just that they're good and straightforward to get into.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I do agree that Mage Knight is a great coop game for 2, just not necessarily a good recommendation for people new to the hobby. Anything greater than 2 and you're looking at a lot of downtime in between turns.

When the game first came out the consensus on these forums was to play it competitively or bust, which I followed for quite a while. The game became a much more enjoyable experience when we started playing it coop.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tsurupettan posted:

CODENAMES

technically its a game with two games are competing with each other but for the most part its just a coop game with two coop teams racing each other to the end.

CODENAMES

its great