Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

oh man I sure don't get affected by advertisement. *strokes neckbeard*

actually, i think the point of that post is the opposite. he gets far too affected by advertisement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Someone Awful! posted:

what the gently caress is this post

Art... I think.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Bast Relief posted:

So I went out to the movies for the first time in years and immediately regretted it until the smuggled booze started kicking in and the movie started. The advertisements before the movie just about did me in and made me realize just how much I shelter myself from mass marketing what with not having a TV or shopping at regular stores. I thought the ads on the internet were bad enough.

Anyway, what I was exposed to probably isn't a dumb move for advertisers at all. I'm just complaining because I was bothered and saddened that this poo poo works on people or is actually appealing in the first place. So, here's what I recall:

Youtube Red: A bunch of obnoxious stereotypical millennials having a good time getting noticed on the internet. Included Pewdiepie and that Indian broad and a lot of messaging that what's being done here is important and you can be a part of it. To me it looks like the suits are trying again to harness the slippery phenomena that is viral and user-created content, then putting that professional gloss on it, slipping in messaging, and then turning it around and selling it at a premium. No thanks, I'll stick to my free lovely cat vines and old movies that no one cares about the rights to. However, I suspect those days are about over.

M&Ms: There were several M&M adds, or maybe M&Ms were surreptitiously embedded in every add, I don't know, but some dude who may have been Pharrel or had the same shtick sung a Very Meaningful song while the numerous renderings of the M&M characters from past to present were shown as if I had died and my life was flashing before my eyes, except I was an M&M.

Sprite: Fat Asian man labeled as "Entrepreneur" talked about how important the thing he was doing was, though I'm not sure what he was entrpeneuring. Sprite was poured with a cringe-inducing ASMR that no soda or any beverage has ever made. He was in a bar at one point, where a crowd of underage girls and were cheering at him, but they were pretty wholesome looking kids, I guess drinking Sprite and partying with some 30 something at a dimly lit bar.

Coke: They have designer bottles now. I saw them at the grocery store when I was buying single serving wine to sneak into the theater. The ad had a blank white background with one of these designer bottles flying through the air from the left and a blonde white woman in a pencil skirt and suit jacket flying towards the bottle with an outstretched arm. The narrator was saying something about the importance of image. I'm like, oh please, it's a bottle that you are going to throw away, and when you bought it you probably didn't really spend any time selecting the one with the most appealing design.

Disney: A seemingly gay white man and his Filipino wife talk about their blended family of eleven kids and how they have all of these challenges including renting a big van to get to Disneyland, and how hard it is to get so many people in the photo in front of the Disney castle. Family values are implied harder than the fun had at Disneyland. These people mostly just talked vaguely about how wonderful their family was golly-gosh there's so many of us! All I can think of is why the gently caress do you people have so many goddamn kids on this planet of 7 billion people.

A Car Brand that I Can't Remember: A business man has been flying around for a long time, and oh! How good does it feel the Be in Control again in your own car driving around! gently caress no! Driving is a pain in the rear end and if I could get by without ever driving again I would gently caress you.

The thing that I do appreciate about the advertisements is the diversity.

The thing that disturbs me the most is the message of Deep Meaning and Importance. It's vague what exactly is meaningful or important, but something is meaningful and important, you are connected to it, and so is *product*.

I'm not even trying to be one of "those people" who doesn't own a TV to score smug points or anything, I just literally can't handle this poo poo. I don't like what advertisers are telling me. They're telling me that there's something wrong with my image, that I should care about my image, that I should be involved in what everyone else is doing, that the things I have are inadequate, the hobbies I engage in are unimportant and I should be doing something that will get noticed and be important. Holy poo poo it's just too much. I mean, the Charmin bears are kinda gross and precious, but at least they aren't trying to tell me how to be...or are they? It's like at a certain point advertisers aren't even trying to figure out who I am so they can get me to spend a buck, they're trying to make me into someone who they are already advertising to.

tl;dr Weirdo shut in goes to a picture show and was broken by the advertising.

Advertising tropes 101. Except you're treating it like Lizard Men Taking Over 101

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Bast Relief posted:

I'm not even trying to be one of "those people" who doesn't own a TV to score smug points or anything

Yet somehow, you managed to succeed beyond all expectations...

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Someone Awful! posted:

what the gently caress is this post

I like this post. I think there should be more reviews of ads. Cinema advertising Let's Play.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also take showers,z get laid, and shave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3qPM8BLdE&t=46s

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fat asian guy is eddie huang. Very successful entrepreneur, although I don't know why he would do a sprite commercial.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
loving millennials.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
won't lie, thought Sprite was a phone company until I remembered I just drank a can of it yesterday.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Advertising exists to make you insecure in a way that can only be alleviated by buying more poo poo you don't need, news at 11.

I wish I could get a real-world ad blocker.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I thoguth the post was funny

oh lord, Peta

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tired Moritz posted:

won't lie, thought Sprite was a phone company until I remembered I just drank a can of it yesterday.

obey your thirst

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Land kittens eat sea kittens, just like land monkeys eat sea monkeys.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

I don't understand Spotify ads that are partly or mostly video. Do people actually sit there in front of their computer/phone staring at the Spotify window?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I still remember when my dad could pump his gas and then pay inside after. It's amazing gas stations did that for as long as they did. Shortly after I started driving gas hit $3 a gallon and every station became pay before you pump within a few weeks of reports of people driving off after filling up an SUV to the tune of 80 bucks or something like that.

This is still how it's done in the UK, and our fuel is more expensive than yours.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Silent Linguist posted:

I don't understand Spotify ads that are partly or mostly video. Do people actually sit there in front of their computer/phone staring at the Spotify window?

I think they don't show up on desktop unless the Spotify window is in focus. On mobile/tablet they frequently have this thing where you don't get ads for the next half hour if you actually tap the ad and let it play out.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Screaming Idiot posted:

Land kittens eat sea kittens, just like land monkeys eat sea monkeys.

Doofy Sitcom Dad: Aw honey, I made that mistake when you were 7!

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

I think they don't show up on desktop unless the Spotify window is in focus. On mobile/tablet they frequently have this thing where you don't get ads for the next half hour if you actually tap the ad and let it play out.

I listen to Spotify on desktop and I definitely get video ads while the window is minimized. I hear some random music clip for fifteen seconds and have no idea what's being advertised.

Henker
May 5, 2009

The pre-movie ads that I really hate are the "extended previews" of upcoming TV shows. Usually it's the cast/crew of Generic Cop Show #3048 jerking off for 15 minutes about how great it's going to be.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bast Relief posted:

So I went out to the movies for the first time in years and immediately regretted it

Three easy steps will solve this problem next time:

1. Start drinking at least an hour before showtime

2. Pack on headphones and listen to your favorite Rob Zombie album during the ads

3. Don't stop drinking

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind the ads. It's mildly comforting to see the same local advertisements every time I show up early for a movie.

My daughter wanted to watch Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I have one of those combo packs of DVD/Blu-ray/and digital, but I couldn't find the Blu-ray and the digital is Apple only so I put in the DVD. Unskippable ad for DeathRace 2 and an unskippable ad for watching your movies everywhere on the go. I hit the HOME button thinking it was the disc main menu and ended up having to restart the disc over and watch the DeathRace 2 ad I had already watched. The next chapter trick didn't work.

I don't remember ads on the Blu-ray edition and there's nothing on the digital copy. Was this just a dying medium's last gasp?

It wasn't even the mildly watchable DeathRace remake with Jason Statham.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not really a "dumb move in marketing" because it obviously works, but have you noticed these "sponsored stories" which seem to be recycled all over the place?

See that crazy-rear end military flashlight, must be insane, right?

Four bucks on ebay, I thew one in when I was buying some other crap from China, so this was pretty funny.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I feel him. It's really jarring when you're out of touch with poo poo like that. Like when I go back to my native country and turn on the TV, for the first couple of days it's like I'm watching aliens pretending to be human. Everything is really lovely and bizarre. Then you get used to it.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Hey Bast Relief, I feel your pain. I don't have cable and watch everything either through Netflix or simply the bowels of the internet, so I hardly ever see ads. I find it super grating and annoying when I can't avoid them, to the point of going out of my way to find links elsewhere even when, say, AMC has the episode I want on their website but with an ad every 5 goddamn minutes. I'll literally take a step down in video/audio quality for the simple pleasure of watching what I want straight through without being bombarded by bullshit.

That said, I also enjoyed your in-depth review and I'd honestly prefer more stuff like that then links posted with no description. I like to know what I'm clicking, I've been burned before :(

Also, I was wondering if anyone who reads webcomics EVER clicks the ads for other webcomics on the site. It always seems like they're some teenager's OC/manga garbage, although to be honest I kind of stopped noticing them after a while. Has anyone ever been introduced to a new comic/artist this way?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

porkswordonboard posted:

Also, I was wondering if anyone who reads webcomics EVER clicks the ads for other webcomics on the site. It always seems like they're some teenager's OC/manga garbage, although to be honest I kind of stopped noticing them after a while. Has anyone ever been introduced to a new comic/artist this way?

I have now and then, if the ad looks interesting (possibly in a so bad it's good way). But yeah, I think project wonderful is the platform for the one you're talking about, and I think the ads are tracked on a site by site basis, so it's most likely web comickers who read that comic who bought the ad. I remember that goons in the webcomics mock thread bought some mocking ads when they noticed it was cheap.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

porkswordonboard posted:

Hey Bast Relief, I feel your pain. I don't have cable and watch everything either through Netflix or simply the bowels of the internet, so I hardly ever see ads. I find it super grating and annoying when I can't avoid them, to the point of going out of my way to find links elsewhere even when, say, AMC has the episode I want on their website but with an ad every 5 goddamn minutes. I'll literally take a step down in video/audio quality for the simple pleasure of watching what I want straight through without being bombarded by bullshit.

Same-ish. Only time I really see cable is when I visit my folks at the holidays. It always feels stunning just how lame some advertising comes off, or seeing the same ad multiple times in a single break, or the commercial for some medication that spends more then half of the commercial with a narrator voice over talking about side effects or consulting a doctor first. Or those times where you get a commercial break, 2 minutes of the movie, and then another full commercial break. :psyduck:

Netflix has really spoiled me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oxyclean posted:

Same-ish. Only time I really see cable is when I visit my folks at the holidays. It always feels stunning just how lame some advertising comes off, or seeing the same ad multiple times in a single break, or the commercial for some medication that spends more then half of the commercial with a narrator voice over talking about side effects or consulting a doctor first. Or those times where you get a commercial break, 2 minutes of the movie, and then another full commercial break. :psyduck:

Netflix has really spoiled me.

Oh same. I find it really annoying when my parents like a commercial so much, they'll save it on DVR just to show me when I visit :smithicide:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i wish advertising prescription medication were illegal, it seems like a hosed up practice

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:

Someone Awful! posted:

i wish advertising prescription medication were illegal, it seems like a hosed up practice

One of the small pleasures of moving to the UK is that I don't have to see old dudes strutting about with their "I just banged" smug grin at every commercial break.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

insufficient guns posted:

One of the small pleasures of moving to the UK is that I don't have to see old dudes strutting about with their "I just banged" smug grin at every commercial break.

Instead we get to see them in real life because they got their boner pills cheap.

this fish flies
Dec 21, 2007

Don't Give Up The Ship

Bast Relief posted:

Youtube Red: A bunch of obnoxious stereotypical millennials having a good time getting noticed on the internet. Included Pewdiepie and that Indian broad and a lot of messaging that what's being done here is important and you can be a part of it. To me it looks like the suits are trying again to harness the slippery phenomena that is viral and user-created content, then putting that professional gloss on it, slipping in messaging, and then turning it around and selling it at a premium. No thanks, I'll stick to my free lovely cat vines and old movies that no one cares about the rights to. However, I suspect those days are about over.

You sound like Archie Bunker.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The amount of erectile dysfunction pill commercials that run during a NASCAR race is :laffo:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Decrepus posted:

The amount of erectile dysfunction pill commercials that run during a NASCAR race is :laffo:

Gotta git that engine runnin'!!!!!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

sweeperbravo posted:

Gotta git that engine runnin'!!!!!

Gives "git her done" a new meaning.

Wait, that's a new meaning right?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's you. You're the Dumb Moves in Marketing.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Someone Awful! posted:

It actually used to be, until Big Pharma lobbied to get it legalized. Same with hard liquors.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

porkswordonboard posted:

It's how I found SMBC. In fairness, it was a pretty good no-nonsense ad, it was just a banner ad version of one of his one-panel comics.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Three easy steps will solve this problem next time:

1. Start drinking at least an hour before showtime

2. Pack on headphones and listen to your favorite Rob Zombie album during the ads

3. Don't stop drinking

This is solid advice. On Valentine's day I double-featured a matinee and regular movie with some of those 3-glass mini box wines. I spent six hours lit and giggling and it was a lot of fun, I don't even remember the commercials (and very little of Zoolander 2 if I'm being honest).

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I feel bad for you folks who don't have theaters with bars, they're the best thing ever. The Landmark chain even makes a silly special cocktail list "inspired" by whatever the big movie is at the time (the best was "The Comedian" when Watchmen was out, it was just a double shot of whiskey). And they sell pitchers of beer and sangria you can take in with you, plus they have a lounge area for pre-movie drinks. It's seriously great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Crow Jane posted:

I feel bad for you folks who don't have theaters with bars, they're the best thing ever. The Landmark chain even makes a silly special cocktail list "inspired" by whatever the big movie is at the time (the best was "The Comedian" when Watchmen was out, it was just a double shot of whiskey). And they sell pitchers of beer and sangria you can take in with you, plus they have a lounge area for pre-movie drinks. It's seriously great.

I feel bad for you paying like $8 a glass for wine when I can get 3 glasses worth for $4.