Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe

jony neuemonic posted:

i've seen tickets sit in code review for three weeks. no longer at that company, thankfully.

I had a 3-line code review take four months in 2014 because I was changing this fundamental configuration file for one of our products and not a goddamn person at the company seemed to understand the full set of implications.

Part of the delay was also because I had to write a separate project to backfill the data that the config change was causing.

It was p neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we have three big software releases scheduled for one of our products. release 1, 2, and 3. they go in order, and each release builds on the previous one. except management keeps delaying release #1 because they dont want to accept a couple bugs that dont really matter and we should just accept for now, but they're also unwilling to budge on the scheduled release date for #3, so as of today our official schedule has us working on #2 and #3 in parallel, despite #2 being a dependency of #3. cool.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ErIog posted:

I'm loving around with a toy software renderer to learn more about graphics programming. I decided to use some code I wrote a few months back that spits out Windows BMP files. Now, I never really tested that code since it was also just dumb toy code, and apparently ErIog-3months thought it would be a great idea to reverse the endianness of a hexstring by calling reverse on it.

I'm trying to learn about vector math and scalar products and poo poo, and the thing that ends up biting me in the rear end is my dumb rear end loving up a simple byte order conversion. It's me. I'm the terrible programmer. :negative:

i found this recently, you might find it helpful: https://github.com/ssloy/tinyrenderer

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

CommunistPancake posted:

i found this recently, you might find it helpful: https://github.com/ssloy/tinyrenderer

Lol, what do you think the screenshot I posted was supposed to look like?

edit: My triangle and line drawing code is a nightmare, but it allowed me to pull z-buffer information really easily. Results look way better than the really ought to.

I highly recommend the above short tutorial as a way to learn about the key concepts behind 3D graphics.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 14, 2016

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ErIog posted:

my dumb rear end loving up a simple byte order conversion. It's me.

i wasted a lot of critical time the last couple weeks by not checking a bit order issue (because OF COURSE you read bits from high to low, and: nope)

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

i need to listen to music to drown out this guys voice

is this the same one that forces his changes to scm?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fritz posted:

i wasted a lot of critical time the last couple weeks by not checking a bit order issue (because OF COURSE you read bits from high to low, and: nope)

read the ones first and then the zeros

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

ErIog posted:

I'm loving around with a toy software renderer to learn more about graphics programming. I decided to use some code I wrote a few months back that spits out Windows BMP files. Now, I never really tested that code since it was also just dumb toy code, and apparently ErIog-3months thought it would be a great idea to reverse the endianness of a hexstring by calling reverse on it.

I'm trying to learn about vector math and scalar products and poo poo, and the thing that ends up biting me in the rear end is my dumb rear end loving up a simple byte order conversion. It's me. I'm the terrible programmer. :negative:

That looks a lot like my glitchy software renderer

http://i.imgur.com/wEzSMAc.gifv

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

netcat posted:

that looks like a perfectly normal sequin teapot :confused:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
my software renderer in 1997 wasn't ugly at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQvG9M2kcyY

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

is this the same one that forces his changes to scm?

yeah, that same joker

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Sagacity posted:

That's really cool

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
haha thanks

it's ugly as hell though :) we improved over the years and eventually had nice subpixel accurate rendering and bilinear filtering etc, but by that point it was too late since everyone was doing (snort) accelerated 3d

as a reference, this came out around the same time as our demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfqMQG8pws8

it is infinitely more gorgeous

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagacity posted:

:getin:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

netcat posted:

Fun fact, this was the render that caused me to make the post you replied to, but it was less interesting than the nightmarish skull so I didn't post it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 14, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

fritz posted:

never assume when it comes to endianness

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

endianness is such annoying loving bullshit

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bloody posted:

endianness is such annoying loving bullshit

we should just decide on one!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

yeah, that same joker

did he learn how git/svn worked eventually?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Awia posted:

we should just decide on one!

sure, mine

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

sure, mine

excellent, you win, everyone sort their poo poo out

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you would think there's only big- and little-endian but

no

the things i have seen

good lord

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bloody posted:

no

the things i have seen

good lord

imagine i made a joke like that bit from blade runner

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bloody posted:

no

the things i have seen

good lord

This sounds interesting. Tell us more!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

no

the things i have seen

good lord

i remember rolling my own guid decoder a billion years ago and some of the groups separated by hyphens have different endiannes for some microsoft reason

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i know i have seen something that had an endiannes where the bit order was like
code:
1234 8765
where the number above indicates the bit's magnitude. Maybe it was some stupid instruction set we were targetting in one of our compiler projects in school?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i know i have seen something that had an endiannes where the bit order was like
code:
1234 8765
where the number above indicates the bit's magnitude. Maybe it was some stupid instruction set we were targetting in one of our compiler projects in school?

why would you do that? is there some magical optimisation it lets you do?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

pointsofdata posted:

maybe the guy who was working on the circuit diagram hosed up and it was cheaper to just document it?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pointsofdata posted:

i have no idea, i am not an architecture person. that was just the order the bits were expected to be in when passed to instructions. it was like some weird MIPS variant or something. I just wrote a helper function to deal with the bit twiddling and forgot about it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

This sounds interesting. Tell us more!

it was basically whatever you get when you wire up a sd card for the 4-bit mode with the bits backwards. works out to like 4567 0123 or something idiotic like that. the employee responsible wasted around half a year on what should've been a 3-4 week project, overrunning the budget and pissing off the sponsor

he still works here, four years later

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

See middle-endianness

Network order 4 lyfe

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
basically bits are stupid and it's a blessing that outside of specific domains like embedded software modern platforms protect us from having to think about it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MononcQc posted:

See middle-endianness

Network order 4 lyfe

Lol
An example of middle-endianness in everyday life is the American date format.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
need a recommendation. working on a personal project in c#. it involves managing files in directories configured by the user. basically it's just a metadata manager for files on your system. it's not really a problem that desperately needs solving but just something im doing for the hell of it. i have a relational structure in mind that involves 3ish tables, but ive never had to work with sql + c# before so i dont know what the best solution out there is. just sqlite plus some kind of orm? i'd pretty much need a table of hashes of files->path to file, a table of hashes of files->keys, and directories->hashes of files contained. that should let me assemble the needed information into any of the various in-memory structures i'd want for working in directories, listing files by metadata, etc.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

need a recommendation. working on a personal project in c#. it involves managing files in directories configured by the user. basically it's just a metadata manager for files on your system. it's not really a problem that desperately needs solving but just something im doing for the hell of it. i have a relational structure in mind that involves 3ish tables, but ive never had to work with sql + c# before so i dont know what the best solution out there is. just sqlite plus some kind of orm? i'd pretty much need a table of hashes of files->path to file, a table of hashes of files->keys, and directories->hashes of files contained. that should let me assemble the needed information into any of the various in-memory structures i'd want for working in directories, listing files by metadata, etc.

just use SQLite and EF

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
never used ef before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but the big thing is that i'll want to query this data in a few different ways to list files by various pieces of the data (by directory, by metadata, alphabetically, etc). does ef allow that level of flexibility?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

never used ef before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but the big thing is that i'll want to query this data in a few different ways to list files by various pieces of the data (by directory, by metadata, alphabetically, etc). does ef allow that level of flexibility?

yeah, you can still query on whatever you want. i had some struggles setting up sqlite + ef in the past, hopefully they made that easier.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

use the sqlite.net driver it's first-party and then use sql like an adult

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

use the sqlite.net driver it's first-party and then use sql like an adult

i might do this as a second option, but i think it would be good to use ef because part of the point is i want to learn some actual modern technologies so my skills arent just 100% the weird legacy poo poo i do for my dayjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sql is an actual modern technology; ef is not

• Locked thread