Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

I'm getting ready to go back to Beijing for a visit in a couple of weeks and can't figure out what the gently caress happened in this thread.

Traffic is just really really slow and so we are all just LANing it up. Beijing goons are fun, a few lurkers here and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

caberham posted:

Traffic is just really really slow

No poo poo; all the more reason for me to stop in Tokyo on the way for a shower, noodles, and beer machines. It also means a 9:30PM arrival and a shot (although never guaranteed) of it taking less than an hour to get to the financial district instead of 2+ hours if I arrived at 4PM.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I might be moving to Chengdu in September, any advice beyond the OP? How much should I be expecting to pay to rent a non-poo poo 1 bedroom flat?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Dzhay posted:

I might be moving to Chengdu in September, any advice beyond the OP? How much should I be expecting to pay to rent a non-poo poo 1 bedroom flat?

Depends on location, but overall Chengdu is cheap. An expensive 1 bedroom apartment in the center-ish parts of town will cost like 2800-3200rmb/m (430-490USD). You could find higher than that but generally it's a rip off.

Most people I know live in decent places for like 1700-2400 a month (240-360USD). If you live a bit further out then that's what a really nice place will be and you can find decent for like 1200 or something.

Places exist that are like 4, 5, 6k in Tongzilin and stuff but they're p overpriced.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm in HK at the moment, someone tell me I'm not an idiot for skipping the peak while it's pissing it down outside - don't think I'll be able to see anything from up there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dzhay posted:

For an example, I pay 1800 for a pretty nice one bedroom in a niceish building on the western edge of town. Do you know where you'd be working? The location will matter.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Lady Gaza posted:

I'm in HK at the moment, someone tell me I'm not an idiot for skipping the peak while it's pissing it down outside - don't think I'll be able to see anything from up there.

PMed you my number. We can hang out a bit if you want. How long will you be in town?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

For an example, I pay 1800 for a pretty nice one bedroom in a niceish building on the western edge of town. Do you know where you'd be working? The location will matter.

Sichuan uni. Main campus, I think.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Dzhay posted:

Sichuan uni. Main campus, I think.

It's very central, and a new metro line connecting it to a bunch of places is opening soon(??? probably before september???) which makes it even more convenient.

If you want to be within walking distance of the place you're looking at the middle-upper end of what I said. Anywhere in Yulin/Tongzilin/Jiuyanqiao (the three main districts around Sichuan U's main campus) tend to be some of the pricer ones. There's a pretty wide range, but you're probably looking at 1600~1800 at the low end if you want to live by yourself. 2000-3000 is probably a safer bet.

If line 3 opens before September (currently estimated July, and it seems pretty done) it'd open your options up a ton. It goes right through the main campus so you could live anywhere on that line, and it'd get a lot cheaper.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Speaking of the new chengdu metro line, my brother in law is on the adverts for it - look out for the young Indian guy grinning

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

I just got back from HKG (sorry caberham). It has been rainy and overcast for the past 4 days. Hold out for a nice day to go to the peak.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
yay for new Chengoons!

I don't pay rent, so I gots no clue, sorry.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Radiohead71 posted:

I just got back from HKG (sorry caberham). It has been rainy and overcast for the past 4 days. Hold out for a nice day to go to the peak.

If you're brave, Victoria peak can be really nice on a slightly rainy day. There's less crowds and a lot more peace and quiet with nature. Last time I went, it rained while we were up there, but under the trees you wouldn't have noticed. Once we got out of the paths, most of the other tourists had left so it was pretty peaceful.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ceciltron posted:

If you're brave, Victoria peak can be really nice on a slightly rainy day. There's less crowds and a lot more peace and quiet with nature. Last time I went, it rained while we were up there, but under the trees you wouldn't have noticed. Once we got out of the paths, most of the other tourists had left so it was pretty peaceful.

Did you have sex

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

I did make it to the peak in the end, it was cloudy but there wasn't a fog covering the entire place so I got to see the view.

Thanks for showing me some cool places to eat caberham! I think that was the most I ate during my entire time in HK.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Lady Gaza posted:

I did make it to the peak in the end, it was cloudy but there wasn't a fog covering the entire place so I got to see the view.

Thanks for showing me some cool places to eat caberham! I think that was the most I ate during my entire time in HK.

Did you have sex?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do you want me?

Actually let's just get Xinjiang food

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Where do you go for xinjiang food? There's a place by the uni I went to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he goes to shenzhen

kenner116
May 15, 2009

simplefish posted:

Where do you go for xinjiang food?

I heard of a good place in western China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kenner116 posted:

I heard of a good place in western China.

I heard you're an idiot bitch who posts in GBS.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

rude

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

Did you go to the Taylor swift concert in Shanghai?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

fart simpson posted:

Want a hug?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sure.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

fart simpson posted:

he goes to shenzhen

I went to Shenzhen for Xinjiang food, was not disappointed. Saw zero street shitters though, was highly disappointed. Would not go again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I saw one kid take a dump in a ditch outside of a fishing village near Qingdao, does that count?

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Warbird posted:

I saw one kid take a dump in a ditch outside of a fishing village near Qingdao, does that count?

Did you buy beer in a bag?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
You could poop in the bag afterward. Very convenient.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

kenner116 posted:

Did you buy beer in a bag?

I saw cans of said beer sold in the supermarket in a bag. The fiance's parents live super close to the beer festival grounds, so we'll make a trip out in the next summer or two to get the real experience.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Warbird posted:

I saw cans of said beer sold in the supermarket in a bag. The fiance's parents live super close to the beer festival grounds, so we'll make a trip out in the next summer or two to get the real experience.

Here is a preview of Qingdao beer culture.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I didn't know they sold hepatitis by the bag

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kenner116 posted:

I'm sorry for being rude to you, kenner116. I didn't really mean it.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

fart simpson posted:

I'm sorry for being rude to you, kenner116. I didn't really mean it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

kenner116 posted:

I really miss Qingdao.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

kenner116 posted:

that beer looks unappealing in every possible way unless you were a slave building the pyramids

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

LentThem posted:

that beer looks unappealing in every possible way unless you were a slave building the pyramids

Hark at Mr. Historical reference over here.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

GuestBob posted:

Hark at Mr. Historical reference over here.

london has some very nice museums i encourage everyone to learn more about what prisoners and slaves were rationed to curb suicide and revolt (in that order)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Warbird posted:

Well, the fish have to eat SOMETHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://twitter.com/Zhang_xu_1995/status/643294445039816704