Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

Probably having an interview in the next week or two. Kinda stumped, what's the current answer for the WHY ARE YOU LOOKING TO LEAVE question if the actual answer is, "I am way under the pay/responsibility curve and they boned me on raise/bonus even though my review was stellar."

"The advancement opportunities are limited at my current position."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateAccount posted:

Probably having an interview in the next week or two. Kinda stumped, what's the current answer for the WHY ARE YOU LOOKING TO LEAVE question if the actual answer is, "I am way under the pay/responsibility curve and they boned me on raise/bonus even though my review was stellar."

Never talk negatively about your previous employer. Just say something generic.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

Never talk negatively about your previous employer. Just say something generic.

Inspector_666 posted:

I get that, not a total doof. Is the "advancement opportunities" part a complete enough answer to satisfy most interviewers?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

I get that, not a total doof. Is the "advancement opportunities" part a complete enough answer to satisfy most interviewers?

Yeah, I think that should be fine, maybe add a little bit about wanting to expand your knowledge and responsibilities.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Best answer imo

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

"I've finished up a number of projects and am looking forward to new and exciting technology challenges" blah blah generic uplifting marketing speech.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK. Thanks, people. I was clearly overthinking it. It's not an FBI interrogation.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

AlternateAccount posted:

"I believe I have reached my potential with my current company and am looking for new challenges so I can grow further."

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Since I've had a couple of really lovely jobs and did a lot of interviewing, I have found it best to say as little as possible about your current position, and just redirect to why you are interested in the job you are interviewing for. Focus on professional development, new type of business, etc.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

AlternateAccount posted:

Lack of challenge/opportunity/upward mobility in your current position is a valid reason.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

air- posted:

Lack of challenge/opportunity/upward mobility in your current position is a valid reason.

It is, and it's all how you frame it up. Better still, if you can tie it into something the new position offers, ex working with a technology you don't get to play with at your current job.

"Well, I've felt stagnant for a while and don't see a clear path for continued growth at my current company. I've really wanted to learn more about AWS and Docker so this position and your company really jumped out at me." yada yada yada...

Definitely keep it positive and never bag on your old place.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

AlternateAccount posted:

Say exactly that, but in a professional way.

"There is no clear path for upward growth in my current position and my compensation changes haven't been in line with my stellar review(s)"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mayodreams posted:

Since I've had a couple of really lovely jobs and did a lot of interviewing, I have found it best to say as little as possible about your current position, and just redirect to why you are interested in the job you are interviewing for. Focus on professional development, new type of business, etc.

I like this option way more than saying something you dislike about your current position, even if it's "lack of promotion opportunities". Some businesses might see you as a job jumper that won't last past 2 years unless they cough up promotions like candy, and won't want to invest long-term.

I've said in interviews that I believe I would be more effective with $newEnvironment, and am looking forward to growing my skills with $jobRequirement, and will strive for advancement opportunities in $department.

They can't really pin down why you're leaving so nothing will count against you, but you rear end-kiss your way past the question so you don't appear evasive.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DigitalMocking posted:

Say exactly that, but in a professional way.

"There is no clear path for upward growth in my current position and my compensation changes haven't been in line with my stellar review(s)"

Should I wait for a few seconds of awkward pause after that before I add, "I'm telling you. loving stellar." And then awkward unbroken eye contact.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...And everything is now on Windows 10 with valid keys. I couldn't set up the AD because of the current costs of the license, and because he doesn't want to make a huge infrastructure change without Board Approval.

Ontop of that, he's having me check the computers of the back-office people. I don't know their titles, but they have offices, and I don't. They also get to wear non-uniforms. I've told him without a serious title / pay raise I'm not going to check their systems as it'll make me a target. He said that any title given would only be internal, and he'd only verify the duties I was originally hired for until we get board approval.

I guess that's fine... When I asked how I'm supposed to get in, he said wait untill they clock out and use the TelCo key, which is apparently a master key. Apparently, all the locks can be openned by the same key? Maybe there's something I don't understand here about Corp Security, that makes this secretly secure.

Right?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Turtlicious posted:

He said that any title given would only be internal, and he'd only verify the duties I was originally hired for until we get board approval.

gently caress that. He won't back you if something goes wrong? Don't do it. If somebody back there has an application that requires IE 9 and you upgrade them to Windows 10 your boss will hang you out to dry, the board won't approve anything you propose, and you can say goodbye to that raise.

Honestly I'd tell your boss you feel more comfortable sitting tight until that board approval. Tell him your presentation to them is taking up the majority of your time so it's not like you're not doing work.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Which platform runs your favorite set of tools for work? Use that one.

Definitely unix based then, but not sure if the few exclusive tools for mac are worth the big price of admission.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Turtlicious posted:

...And everything is now on Windows 10 with valid keys. I couldn't set up the AD because of the current costs of the license, and because he doesn't want to make a huge infrastructure change without Board Approval.

Ontop of that, he's having me check the computers of the back-office people. I don't know their titles, but they have offices, and I don't. They also get to wear non-uniforms. I've told him without a serious title / pay raise I'm not going to check their systems as it'll make me a target. He said that any title given would only be internal, and he'd only verify the duties I was originally hired for until we get board approval.

I guess that's fine... When I asked how I'm supposed to get in, he said wait untill they clock out and use the TelCo key, which is apparently a master key. Apparently, all the locks can be openned by the same key? Maybe there's something I don't understand here about Corp Security, that makes this secretly secure.

Right?

Have you started sending your resume out? This place sucks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Turtlicious posted:

He said that any title given would only be internal
What does this even mean? Is he offering to give you a nickname?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Vulture Culture posted:

Came to post basically this.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Dark Helmut posted:

Definitely keep it positive and never bag on your old place.

I have a question that's been nagging me for a while. What happens when an employee is wrongfully terminated? Presumably, a hiring company will contact that employee's previous employer and find out they were fired no matter what it says on the resume. If that job is left off the resume, then you have a gap that can seem just as bad as being terminated. How do you deal with the job hunt after a company has hosed you over like this?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Turtle gtfo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

It means this whole counter-terrorism business is a pet project he got no sign off on.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bigass Moth posted:

Have you started sending your resume out? This place sucks.
I've sent out 30 some odd different resumes / cover letters to local companies. I've gotten 3 interviews, but no-one has called back yet to hire me. The hunting is real.

Vulture Culture posted:

When I asked he said "Well, we don't want to lose you to another company, so we're keeping your on the books status as is. I know this is hard to take, but the good news is that it looks like a raise will be coming down."

KillHour posted:

It means this whole counter-terrorism business is a pet project he got no sign off on.
I'm pretty sure it's this though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

When I asked he said "Well, we don't want to lose you to another company, so we're keeping your on the books status as is. I know this is hard to take, but the good news is that it looks like a raise will be coming down."

Is it double?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

KillHour posted:

Is it double?

Check's in the mail!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://youtu.be/BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RyuHimora posted:

I have a question that's been nagging me for a while. What happens when an employee is wrongfully terminated? Presumably, a hiring company will contact that employee's previous employer and find out they were fired no matter what it says on the resume. If that job is left off the resume, then you have a gap that can seem just as bad as being terminated. How do you deal with the job hunt after a company has hosed you over like this?
The gap's worse than being terminated because you're being dishonest about your work history.

Being let go from one job isn't the death knell for a career that people try to sell it as. Two in a row and you've got a problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so since I am too lazy/busy to start a monitoring/logging thread, I am just going to post my Splunk questions here for now. :v:

I added a few Data Inputs (Files & Directories to be exact) using the web console. Then I uninstalled the Universal Forwarder on the machine I am monitoring, then reinstalled it. Problem is, the Data Input is still there but no longer working. It shows Enabled but no data is coming in. When I go to edit it or delete it, it gives me the error...

Error occurred attempting to remove ]mypath: In handler 'remote_monitor': Failed to delete the non-existent input. Remote monitor:// input mypath not found..

From my limited understanding, it sounds like it is trying to go to the host with the Universal Forwarder installed and remove the monitor for inputs.conf, but it is not there, so it can't remove it.

I checked the Splunk server's input.conf, because I thought I had read that it would be stored there, but I'm not seeing it.

This all begs the bigger question of... I guess I should be only using the web interface and not adding anything to input.conf manually to any Universal Forwarders, nor should I ever uninstall the Universal Forwarder without removing all of the Data Inputs for it? Any Splunk guru's have any ideas? What am I doing wrong here?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

RyuHimora posted:

Depends on the scenario. If it was a short stint or it was a long time ago, just leave it off. If it can't be avoided, tell your story and leverage references - preferably from that job who can corroborate that you were a good employee who got railroaded/hosed/whatever.

As I have said before, your resume doesn't need to be a biography of everything you've ever done. It's a tool to get you noticed and selected for an interview.

Do you have a specific scenario you want to elaborate on?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He's the guy that started whacking it during a con call.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, and to go back to the whole SANs failing thing... I have seen some interesting ones.

-Years and years ago I had an Equallogic SAN that was taking snapshots and not cleaning them up, but also not showing that consumed space in the GUI or CLI. Everything looked fine and dandy as far as free space went, the snapshots were no longer there, then one day the SAN ran out of space. Dell support had to drop into the Linux kernel to see the snapshots and unfuck that one.

-Saw an EMC VNXe (generation 2, forgot the specific model number) have something like 8 disks go offline at the same time. The power had flickered a couple of times. SAN never went down as far as power goes, each SP (I think EMC did away with SPSes at this point) had redundant power plugged into distinct PDUs with distinct UPSes. But several power blips in immediate succession was enough to have it offline drives. I was called in because the client and their newly preferred vendor spent 6+ hours on the phone with EMC. Took half an hour to escalate the issue and have the new tech force online the drives. Volumes came back up without even having to do a check.

-HP/Lefthand, some idiot configured for Network RAID5. When a Network RAID5 volume gets writes, it creates a temporary Network RAID10 volume to cache the writes to, then commits it to a proper Network RAID5 volume when it has time. You can see where this is going. Things went bad, a bunch of temporary Network RAID10 volumes got created, things ran out of space, then things got worse.

This doesn't count the super obvious ones like a switch failing and multipath not kicking it, only having a single switch (WTF?), not having properly battery backup, etc. I've seen a lot of SANs fail, and I wouldn't even consider myself a storage/virtualization expert. I am definitely more of an IT generalist. So yeah, it happens more often than you'd like.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 14, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Colonial Air Force posted:

Check's in the mail!

Basically this. The guy's treating you like you're thick and every day you carry on being strung along is probably another day your boss never thought he'd manage to keep this up for.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 14, 2016

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright, so since I am too lazy/busy to start a monitoring/logging thread, I am just going to post my Splunk questions here for now. :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731330

There's the monitoring thread, altough it's not that active. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with splunk yet so I can't help you there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731330

There's the monitoring thread, altough it's not that active. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with splunk yet so I can't help you there.

This is helpful, although the thread is small. Thanks!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks Ants posted:

Basically this. The guy's treating you like you're thick and every day you carry on being strung along is probably another day your boss never thought he'd manage to keep this up for.

I realize that but if I'm fired I'm hosed financially. I'm saving up but my emergency fund covers only 2 months right now and my bill insurance won't kick in for another 3 months I've told him what I won't do without a pay increase and a real title and while he's pissing and moaning about it now one of us will budge.

That being said he just offered me a 2k cash bonus to set up the back offices computers like the operations systems. So heavily monitored with a user account instead of admin, along with new keyboards with keyloggers installed. I told him that's probably illegal and so now I'm supposed to find out and get back with him. This is a loving poo poo show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tell him you want the cash first and in 20's.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Wait. What? A cash bonus to install Keyloggers? aaaaaahahahahaha. This is some cloak and dagger poo poo. Please do it I want to see this story unfold further. (actually don't).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My question is: Is it legal? I'm waiting for an E-mail reply, where I posted the following:

Hey boss, about that project... posted:

What is your desired result? That kind of hardware and monitoring doesn't come cheap, and if I know what you want, there may be a cheaper way to get it done, that avoids the problems I was talking about earlier. I'm willing to get work done for the price discussed, but I just want to make sure we're viewing all of our options before we go through with a huge change like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

My question is: Is it legal? I'm waiting for an E-mail reply, where I posted the following:

We're not lawyers. I doubt anyone is interested in trying to give legal advice on something like that.

I don't think any of this is going to turn out well for you.