Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Slashy Souls looks dumb and we are wasting our lives talking about it. For what it's worth, the only "problem" it could pose for the brand is just watering down the Souls name with some off-shoot garbage, but the game looks like it was probably whipped up in an afternoon by some bored programmer and then given a fresh coat of paint and shipped out for some easy promotion.

To keep this within the realms of From Software, several of their games have had things like this even going back to King's Field (a one hour KF "game" was given out at trade shows in Japan prior to KFIII coming out that basically lets you walk around and learn the game's backstory and then tells you to be hype for the game coming soon). This is nothing new to promoting video games or anything in general.

Slashy Souls itself is closer to the Metroid Prime 3 Channel or the innumerable mobile apps that are there to provide promotional stuff about upcoming games. The mini-game is a nice time waster but the main purpose of it is that you open it up and it has a menu to pre-order, learn more about the season pass/extra content, and a link to the latest trailer(s) for the game. That they took an extra few hours to make a Souls themed endless runner for it is above and beyond for this type of app.

If anything I wish more companies would follow the example of KFIII, Eternal Darkness, etc. with regards to promoting their games today. With today's much easier proliferation of digital stuff would be a huge deal compared to how these would only be seen at trade shows and limited by how many (if any) discs could be distributed with them. Maybe not as meaty or spoilery as a lengthy demo but it's an interesting way to get the word out. But in general it's just the modern equivalent of how so many games have a tie in prequel comic book that comes out a little before the actual game.

Bombadilillo posted:

The fact that you are talking about it on the Internet and are reminded that dark souls 3 exists, means it worked.

Dummy. That's the point. Those fat cat meddlesome publishers won. Cause you.

Also basically this.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fortitude posted:

And I also really resent the stupid B-Team meme or the notion that From Software's games are all terrible unless Miyazaki worked on them, since that's pissing on the framework that King's Field, Shadow Tower and Armored Core games made which made a game like Demon's Souls possible in the first place. That and Dark Souls 3 is mostly headed up by this so-called "B-Team", just with Miyazaki at the helm with Tanimura supporting him.

I fail to see how saying "the missing element to DS2 was Miyazaki" somehow shits on the legacy of King's Field or whatever. For what it's worth, King's Field is exceedingly clunky and not nearly as intuitive as any of the Souls games, which are streamlined to be accessible to more than just a really niche audience. I'm not going to say that they weren't influential because they obviously were, but moving AWAY from the gameplay mechanics of the KF games is exactly what led to the Souls games being as popular and well-received as they were.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

but moving AWAY from the gameplay mechanics of the KF games is exactly what led to the Souls games being as popular and well-received as they were.

Quite a few lauded Souls mechanics come from similar ones from either King's Field or Shadow Tower, dude. Big one being Estus.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Quite a few lauded Souls mechanics come from similar ones from either King's Field or Shadow Tower, dude. Big one being Estus.

Things that aren't taken from King's Field: First person view, being slow as poo poo, clunky fighting. I never said that they ignored King's Field, only that the company's insistence on making the games cumbersome to play had definitely had a factor in them not being big sellers. The Souls games modernized them in a much needed way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

From isn't a huge developer but I think it is a bit unfair to say that his absence is the sole reason for Dark Souls 2's issues. Especially if it's true that they had to kill it and start from scratch halfway through, at that point it was never going to be From's greatest.

I actually like DS2 a lot. It's a "bad" game in ways that most people that played DS1 and 2 would never even notice or care about like that elevator and higher end weapon balancing but the idea that it's a really bad game in general (this is the same dev that made Armored Core 5 and Steel Batallion: Heavy Armor) comapred to From games in general is kind of silly to me. My own reasons for not liking it as much as the others has more to do with the enemy designs than anything else.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 14, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Things that aren't taken from King's Field: First person view, being slow as poo poo, clunky fighting.

Souls might be faster paced, but it very much took being patient and precise over rushing in and failing like an idiot from the King's Field and Shadow Tower games, as well as a lot of the environmental designs, creature designs and traps from those games.

Even the beloved Mushroom enemies from Dark Souls are a product of Shadow Tower and Kalameet and Seath are very clearly inspired by Guyra and Seath from King's Field, even down to the crystal motif for the latter.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Things that aren't taken from King's Field: First person view, being slow as poo poo, clunky fighting.

Because they wouldn't fit what the Souls games are trying to be. The slower pace and clunky fighting is born from the fact that the series stated on the PSX (and was one of the first games for the system, even) but likely kept because it really works for those games. Those games are more about exploration than anything with the combat as dressing to add a sense of danger and ratchet up the tension created by the atmosphere. Short of an extremely well-designed combat system a clunky but simple one is a good way to accomplish that. The slow game pace also serves to do that. That's why the spin-off Shadow Tower games, which feature combat as a bigger part of the game, have a faster pace and better designed combat. You'd have more of a point if you mentioned the control scheme which is fairly clunky and more than anything is an artifact starting as an early PSX game.

First person view is not an inherently bad thing, and I think modern From could do a fantastic job with it. Part of the reason I really want them to revive either King's Field or Shadow Tower.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Also in Shadow Tower you imrpove your weapons and armor by upgrading them with demon's souls while visiting each realm via teleporting from a towering stone nexus which united the setting's once great kingdom and there's no on game music. :O

King's Field split off into several games in the early 00s (not long before Miyazaki joined From as a coder for Armored Core games). Demon's Souls is so good because it takes good things from King's Field, Eternal Ring, Otogi and Shadow Tower. I do wish they still had Tsukasa Saitoh (KF3/4/Demon's Souls) composing the music though.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 14, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Because they wouldn't fit what the Souls games are trying to be. The slower pace and clunky fighting is born from the fact that the series stated on the PSX (and was one of the first games for the system, even) but likely kept because it really works for those games. Those games are more about exploration than anything with the combat as dressing to add a sense of danger and ratchet up the tension created by the atmosphere. Short of an extremely well-designed combat system a clunky but simple one is a good way to accomplish that. The slow game pace also serves to do that. That's why the spin-off Shadow Tower games, which feature combat as a bigger part of the game, have a faster pace and better designed combat. You'd have more of a point if you mentioned the control scheme which is fairly clunky and more than anything is an artifact starting as an early PSX game.

First person view is not an inherently bad thing, and I think modern From could do a fantastic job with it. Part of the reason I really want them to revive either King's Field or Shadow Tower.

I do think that with the lessons learned from Souls would make for a pretty good KF revival, but I wonder if you could get the same marketing buzz for KF.

Now is honestly a perfect time for From to do a brand new IP entirely, since they have so much good will as a studio current.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'd rather they do Metal Wolf Chaos 2. :aaaaa:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Now is honestly a perfect time for From to do a brand new IP entirely, since they have so much good will as a studio current.

Yeah, maybe even a PS4 exclusive with werewolves and poo poo. And guns.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I do think that with the lessons learned from Souls would make for a pretty good KF revival, but I wonder if you could get the same marketing buzz for KF.

I mean "In the style of/Inspired by Dark Souls" works kickstarter magic, so I can't see why it wouldn't be a slam dunk home run touchdown for the people who actually did make Dark Souls

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I mean "In the style of/Inspired by Dark Souls" works kickstarter magic, so I can't see why it wouldn't be a slam dunk home run touchdown for the people who actually did make Dark Souls

Have you heard of Bloodborne?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Yeah, maybe even a PS4 exclusive with werewolves and poo poo. And guns.

I think Bloodborne benefits from being completely stand alone. A sequel would only diminish it. Besides, you can take the basic mechanics and especially the combat system and apply them to...say...a giant mech robot fighting game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Neo Rasa posted:

Have you heard of Bloodborne?

Which was in the style of/inspired by Dark Souls and it was a slam dunk home run touchdown so I dunno what you're getting at here

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Which was in the style of/inspired by Dark Souls and it was a slam dunk home run touchdown so I dunno what you're getting at here

Bloodborne 2:

The first level is fighting the moon presence. Then your character wakes up and is like "I just had the weirdest dream" and goes and gets in his giant mech to fight aliens.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Snak posted:

Bloodborne 2:

The first level is fighting the moon presence. Then your character wakes up and is like "I just had the weirdest dream" and goes and gets in his giant mech to fight aliens.

This sounds more like a Taro Yoko game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Just that, I think they already figured it out.

I still can't believe Sony published two high budget high profile third person action games about Victorian steam punk werewolf hunters that are part of a cursed blood cult in the same month.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Just that, I think they already figured it out.

I still can't believe Sony published two high budget high profile third person action games about Victorian steam punk werewolf hunters that are part of a cursed blood cult in the same month.

And yet one sucked rear end and the other was Bloodborne.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Do the people who say these things actually have any evidence (they don't) or is it just their desire for unfounded lore speculation leaking into the real world (it is)?

He's sooorta right that halfway through development the lead devs had a disagreement, one of them left, and then the other one took over and dramatically tried to reshape the game.

However neither of those people was Miyazaki so :shrug: typical goon nonsense.

"something something B-team" :rolleyes:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'd rather they do Metal Wolf Chaos 2. :aaaaa:

With Metal Wolf Chaos 1 on the disc.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Devolver Digital has straight up said they want to port Metal Wolf Chaos.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And yet one sucked rear end and the other was Bloodborne.

The problems over at Ready at Dawn were obvious when they were saying things like they wanted to make a cinematic experience first and gameplay was getting in the way

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So, I guess Final Fantasy XV is coming out September 20th? I am actually starting to warm up to the boyband cast and might actually be looking forward to this game now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hopefully they moved far enough away from Persona 5's release, that probably would have been bad for Square

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hopefully they moved far enough away from Persona 5's release, that probably would have been bad for Square

:lol: Good one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The problems over at Ready at Dawn were obvious when they were saying things like they wanted to make a cinematic experience first and gameplay was getting in the way

The Order is fascinating to me because it is in a way the endgame of what Sony has been going for as the Playstation Experience since God of War 2, we see its DNA in even Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc. But I think they realized too late they had a milquetoast story and script. Like look at how well Sony has done with Until Dawn in comparison. If The Order had better written characters an Until Dawn caliber game would own with it. But they fell back on pure Gears of War, uncomfortable with their own bragged about vision of the perfect game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

September is closer to 2017 though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If they really have made FF15 into some weird Metal Gear/Mass Effect thing I could see it being really fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKJ88qojuLI

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If they really have made FF15 into some weird Metal Gear/Mass Effect thing I could see it being really fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKJ88qojuLI

Metal Gear Emo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Broforce is fun and dumb. I thought I'd have more fun with galak-z but I'm enjoying "guess which explosion will kill you" starring pixelated action heroes of all kinds more.

I like chuck norris' kicks and mcguyvers everything.

Haven't really noticed any glitching other than the delay at the start.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Broforce is fun and dumb. I thought I'd have more fun with galak-z but I'm enjoying "guess which explosion will kill you" starring pixelated action heroes of all kinds more.

I like chuck norris' kicks and mcguyvers everything.

Haven't really noticed any glitching other than the delay at the start.

I'm in the Amazone and it's pissing me off how the aliens make the physics on the blocks freak out and just fall at random and instant kill you, combined with like three bros being actually good at fighting them, and the 30 second "survive two hundred aliens" segment (all of which are below and above you so I hope you lucked out and got a bro that can aim at them) which ended in the helicopter exploding at random followed by me not being able to grab the ladder on the second one because the bro couldn't jump that high.

gently caress the Amazone.

e: Real tired of dying without getting attacked too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 14, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Brade and Bronan the Barbarian are really fun. Brobocop's special is hilariously overpowered. Some of the bosses can be stunned which makes them trivially easy. I'm have a lot more fun with it so far than I thought I would.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All these games are worse than Robotron

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Devolver Digital has straight up said they want to port Metal Wolf Chaos.
They are my friends.

edit: why does From hate MWC so much anyway? Why did they hate one of the most glorious things they ever made?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 14, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

El Hefe posted:

Metal Gear Emo

pf we had those jokes with mgs2 already

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Azhais posted:

All these games are worse than Robotron

That's the first game I ever played and I really loved it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snak posted:

Brade and Bronan the Barbarian are really fun. Brobocop's special is hilariously overpowered. Some of the bosses can be stunned which makes them trivially easy. I'm have a lot more fun with it so far than I thought I would.

Mr. Anderbro and Brominator are top tier, along with the Bro with mirvs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

They are my friends.

edit: why does From hate MWC so much anyway? Why did they hate one of the most glorious things they ever made?

I don't think they hate Metal Wolf Chaos. I think they just like new things more, which I'm pretty cool with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think they hate Metal Wolf Chaos. I think they just like new things more, which I'm pretty cool with.
It's not just now; they only ever released it on the Japanese original xbox and then never made backwards compatibility with the 360 even. They must have wanted it to never be seen by almost anyone.

But I have played it! Its memory lives on inside of me!

• Locked thread