Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Thread more jaded than a skelly in a dog park. VC info better be juicy as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
It's only been two people complaining. So far everyone else is chill with it. I wouldn't call the thread jaded.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm only annoyed because I don't like siege battles. No room for tactics or maneuvering. Their other videos have me pumped.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Making large changes to city battles sounds good to me. It'd be difficult to make them any worse. The only nice thing about previous iterations is that you had plenty of time to zoom in and watch the fancy little combat animations since there was so little for you to actually do.

e: although I will say that Shogun 2's sieges were okay, if a bit too frequent. The wider spaces and ability for every unit to quickly and easily climb walls really opened things up.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 14, 2016

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

City battles have always sucked. They sort of fixed them in atilla by making it so you can burn the entire place down which is just super cool but it's still just a big distraction from how much sieges suck.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Those walls look gigantic.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Phi230 posted:

CA: removing gameplay to make game look more shiny for dumb people

That's how it's gonna be implemented. All style no substance

Fits the warhammer license PERFECTLY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only sieges I've enjoyed were Barbarian Invasion's. Rome 1 had way too many super units that made assaulting walls a death trap. Medieval 2 made archers utterly useless on the walls because apparently you can't fire downwards unless you stand ten feet back from the ramparts. Empire's sieges were just loving broken. Shogun 2's were alright, but only once you had missile superiority.

Barbarian Invasion at least gave people burning oil gates.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I liked sieging things in FotS, because lots of cannons + a navy in range meant tons of ragdoll animations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

albany academy posted:

I liked sieging things in FotS, because lots of cannons + a navy in range meant tons of ragdoll animations.

Further proof that Fall of the Samurai is the best gunpowder game. But those early sieges without cannon are unfun crap. Needs breech loading rifles and a load of armstrong guns to be entertaining.
Though I've started Napoleon, and it's like Empire, except good.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think narrowing the focus of sieges will help the AI not poo poo itself, at least.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I never figured out where to put the cannons in a defensive siege. Unless I'm just an idiot FoTS sieges sucked too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
These changes sound like they will make sieges a lot more like Shogun 2 that anything else, which is good because Shogun 2 is the only entry in the series to have good siege battles.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I hope Total War Warhammer is the best game ever made for two reasons:

1. I really want to play it

2. Maybe we finally won't have to listen to constant pessimism about CA and TW games for the months/years before the next game is released. We get it, you don't like them. We don't care.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

genericnick posted:

I never figured out where to put the cannons in a defensive siege. Unless I'm just an idiot FoTS sieges sucked too.

With the walls being so huge in TW Warhammer, slapping your artillery up on the walls might actually be viable for once.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mazz posted:

I hope Total War Warhammer is the best game ever made for two reasons:

2. Maybe we finally won't have to listen to constant pessimism about CA and TW games for the months/years before the next game is released. We get it, you don't like them. We don't care.

In a conversation there will be dissenting opinions no matter what the consensus is. The fantasy of being able to read a thread and see nothing but opinions that you agree with seems to be a fantasy of comfort for those who can't seem to handle other opinions.

Rome 2 was real unplayable for a year and that was fairly recently, I guess what you're asking for here is people to behave like goldfish or something and just post their excitement for the game and how it will rock? So it doesn't bum you out?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It's not about opinions I agree with, it's just irritating to read how lovely of a company CA is in this thread so often when they are one of the only companies even bothering to make decent strategy games anymore. Having to rehash this discussion for literal months until the game comes out is grating after a while.

Also I had more fun in Rome 2 than I ever did in Attila (I make a lot of personal changes with mod tools and Rome's setting was better), so I don't agree there as I played it heavily in the first few months of release with very few problems. I know I'm in the minority there so I'm not arguing it wasn't problematic, just that it wasn't for me.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 14, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

madmac posted:

With the walls being so huge in TW Warhammer, slapping your artillery up on the walls might actually be viable for once.

Sieges have been pretty disappointing in Rome 2, especially with the walls. There is little reason to ever put people on them. I usually let people have the walls, and then bottleneck them at the stairways that lead down, or in the streets. If they are going to make a big departure from that model (or just make walls relevant), I'm happy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mazz posted:

It's not about opinions I agree with, it's just irritating to read how lovely of a company CA is in this thread so often when they are one of the only companies even bothering to make decent strategy games anymore. Having to rehash this discussion for literal months until the game comes out is grating after a while.

Just put the guy who's mad that CA killed his dog (plus mother and family and one true love) on ignore, I think there is only one of those here posting obsessively every time there's an update.

Personally I have mixed feelings on this dev diary. I find the bit about the AI keeping units in reserve and paying attention to what their allies are accomplishing to being the most interesting part, but I am still somewhat skeptical on how this will work in practice.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Not sold on the AI changes either, anything that makes the AI (potentially) more passive tends not to go well, but we'll see.

If nothing else though the more focused siege front should be a boon to making the AI putting up more of a fight.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mark me as also being skeptical of the AI improvements, it feels like that portion has a few too many buzzwords. I do like the siege changes though!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don't know, considering the setting I feel like the changes to the wall will be an improvement. If it works out well how great would it be to see dwarf flamethrowers toast a bunch of zombies trying to breach the walls? How fun would it be to slam bajillion orks into the empires battlements? I think it sounds like a good use of my video-gaming hours!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'd have just preffered if Rome 2 had more interesting characters. I still go back and play Med 2 to build up my evil spy king and his goody two shoes brother, or go to Shogun and seeing what kind of lunatic with a Samurai sword and a grudge I can put in charge of an army.

I am hoping that Warhammer gets that, and I am going to be getting a better computer soon so I should even be able to play it, but I am not holding out hope. I just want to build pretty fantasy cities with fantasy people and then throw army men at each other. I missed that in Rome 2 what with the whole "I can't build farms or field cool barbarian armies" thing.

I wouldn't say that I can't see why people liked Rome 2, but I would be more than up for chatting about some of the problems and good points as well.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah, characters were lame. Fortunately there were mods to make them more interesting and to reduce the insane agent spam from the zillion little pissant minor factions.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I'm probably going to be disappointed, but I'm imagining besieging some city like Minas Tirith, with huge outer walls, layers upon layers of towers, and so forth. Would be especially nice if your city upgrades had a significant effect on your walls structure as well, instead of just "can place TWO lovely spear throwing things that don't help instead of one!"

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I think the AI has gradually been getting better with each game, Attila's AI is leagues and leagues above Rome I and Med II AI at this point and it can actually manage to make some pretty nice decisions time to time now. Hopefully Warhammer keeps it up

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Skandranon posted:

I'm probably going to be disappointed, but I'm imagining besieging some city like Minas Tirith, with huge outer walls, layers upon layers of towers, and so forth. Would be especially nice if your city upgrades had a significant effect on your walls structure as well, instead of just "can place TWO lovely spear throwing things that don't help instead of one!"

I would love that. Having it so that your engineers guild as the dwarves let's you have a cannon implacement inside the walls would be awesome.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Skandranon posted:

Isn't there a Defences building chain visible in the Empire campaign video?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

sassassin posted:

Isn't there a Defences building chain visible in the Empire campaign video?

Pretty sure the top level towers spit out explosive homing mines, or something equally ridiculous.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Love the dudes who are just chilling in the walls looking at the giant green death star in their courtyard.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I'm currently playing a Western Roman Empire campaign in Attila and I'm cautiously optimistic that they're moving to a different siege formula. 'Drop shield wall in choke points, AI will blob up and attack 2 of them maybe, towers machine gun everything to death, snipe the general if you can, cycle charge with your scouts' is sorta neat against ridiculous odds but it was obvious the AI was struggling with the options in front of it.

I reckon their AI has improved a lot over the last couple of games, it just struggles with the sheer amount of rando mechanics they've thrown in at the same time. Give it something like Shogun 2's simple as buildings and campaign map stuff and you'd see a pretty good improvement I think

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

BillBear posted:

CA have been willing to take bigger risks this time around to improve the game and I like it. I'll say this is a good idea and I hope we see it in action real soon.

They change up the game pretty dramatically between most titles in the series, taking risks isn't really CA's problem. One of the things a lot of people complained about Rome 2 was how new and confusing it all was; the issue with that game was that a lot of the changes didn't seem like they were thought out too well.

They did something similar re: only part of the city is in the siege map with the city of Rome in Attila and it worked okay there, I think it's probably a good direction for them to pursue in the future. Shogun 2 sieges were the best in the series but that was done by completely eschewing traditional siege engines and tactics and stuff so I can see why they want to move on from that.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I like the idea of this siege change.

I've been gaming seiges for ever. Shogun 2 was an interesting variation. Town battles in Attila are decent but get old fast. Province capital defences are lame.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
The only thing I dislike thus far is they mention that magic will have the potential for fumbles/botches. I really hate that. In no game has fumbling your spells ever been a fun addition.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Sieges in TW have been awful for a long time and I would rather them try something new.

Dominicius posted:

The only thing I dislike thus far is they mention that magic will have the potential for fumbles/botches. I really hate that. In no game has fumbling your spells ever been a fun addition.
I believe they specifically said that the spell will always go off, its just that a fumble or botched attempt will have some kind of backlash.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dominicius posted:

Yeah the only effect fumbles have based on the 'Ard Armour video is that the Wizard suffers a hitpoint loss and the spell is delayed for a few seconds. Which yeah, that sucks for offensive casters with AoE attacks but in general it seems very manageable. Hopefully the misfire is based on some mitigating factors so you can be relatively sure if a spell will work or not, but no word yet. Fingers crossed for a detailed look at magic tomorrow:drac:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

madmac posted:

Pretty sure the top level towers spit out explosive homing mines, or something equally ridiculous.

Pigeon bombs!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

MadJackMcJack posted:

Pigeon bombs!

Empire light magic laser towers!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Picked up Fall of the Samurai and the DLC for 7 bucks on the steam sale. It's pretty good poo poo so far and the cannons are hilariously OP bullshit. On the other hand line infantry seems like utter trash because my lovely spearmen walk all over them which is a shame, because I wanted to go fully western on this playthrough.

Any hints for a new player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Demiurge4 posted:

Picked up Fall of the Samurai and the DLC for 7 bucks on the steam sale. It's pretty good poo poo so far and the cannons are hilariously OP bullshit. On the other hand line infantry seems like utter trash because my lovely spearmen walk all over them which is a shame, because I wanted to go fully western on this playthrough.

Any hints for a new player?

Yeah, CREAM. Cannons rule everything around me

There's a general TW thread somewhere , you will get better info there

• Locked thread