Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

ENB in a nutshell. Grab ENB solely for the ENBoost feature. Use purity plus The Imaginator mod to tweak your graphics.

Imaginator looks useful, I'll check that out, thanks.

Psion posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7804

most ENBs are bad but some are really quite good, unfortunately the odds are not in your favor. I say you should just auto-pass on any which require 85 mods to start or anything which requires a mod you look at and say "hmm, nah" as a dependency.

e: I looked at clarity's setup, if you think that's a lot of files to add, heh, well... most of the stuff it has you do is the same for every ENB (the ini tweaks) and getting the dll from the ENB site. No idea about that Nighteye thing though.

If it were just the ENB stuff I could've still manually checked and deleted it, but Clarity also had me install two ENB patches that added roughly 300 files into my data/meshes and data/textures folders. Reinstalling went quicker than figuring out which of those files did or didn't belong, but turns out I could've just deleted the meshes/textures folders because all their contents were from the patches. I only figured that out after the reinstall, though. Thank god for the MO manager.

I might give a few more ENB's a try with that manager once I'm done with my regular modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
You always will have to tweak ENBs anyways, I've not seen a single one that's doesn't do some stupid crap like adjusting settings to insane numbers where the author obviously didn't know what they even meant or effects counteracting against each other. From experience, the more minimal an ENB is, the better. The rest will look great in some still shots but will be absolutely unplayable, and I don't mean because of the framerates. Usually I take some ENB I like the looks of generally, and then rip everything out that's stupid. Don't be afraid of it.

You can get some nice results, especially if you want to set a slightly different tone but it's really quite a bit of effort. I wanted to give this game another go after getting a R9 390 and being slightly disappointed with FO4 overall, and it turns out I just installed a few mods some weeks ago and then never played. So, the usual skyrim experience. :v: But man it's nice how this game just flies on this graphics card and with a bunch of visual tweaks it looks better than many games out now. The only thing I miss is FO4 characters. They look a lot better. Can't wait what modders will do to that game.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 13, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I saw a FNV ENB shader that looked ok in screenshots and then I downloaded his ini and at some point he just made literally every number "1337.1337"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fleve posted:

Imaginator looks useful, I'll check that out, thanks.

If you care, my personal preference with Imaginator is two ticks of "Nice Overall Enhancement", one tick of "Pixar", on the next page one tick each on sunlight and sky, and one tick of medium bloom.

I've started so many playthroughs that I have this memorized. :shep:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sintax posted:

Sounds like you are doing it right but there's some other problem (still check the task manager and make sure it's not using a crazy amount of ram like >2gb). See if there's a log file you can check for errors and go off that.

Would I be best off deleting most of the mods to find out if I still have the problem with a clean install?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Agents are GO! posted:

If you care, my personal preference with Imaginator is two ticks of "Nice Overall Enhancement", one tick of "Pixar", on the next page one tick each on sunlight and sky, and one tick of medium bloom.

This looks really nice, thanks.

Any idea what may be causing this? It's like masses of land in water get all jaggy. I got it to ultra so it's not drawing distance... I got SMIM and "The Ruffled Feather" (which seems to be a comipilation by the guy who made dynamic snow) installed but I tried turning both off so it's not that either, and I don't have any other mods touching water or ice (yet).

It's more noticeable here, around mid right:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Potato kids or not, KITTENS :3:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Strategic Tea posted:

Potato kids or not, KITTENS :3:

It honestly looks like a decent mod, pretty much exactly what I described at one point as the thing modders could be doing instead of the creepy pedo mods. From reading through the comments, it kinda sounds like it's got some bugs to work out, but concept is pretty solid.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

ENB in a nutshell. Grab ENB solely for the ENBoost feature. Use purity plus The Imaginator mod to tweak your graphics.

How badly do those impact FPS? I avoid ENBs because a GTX 680M really can't handle them without dying under the load.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ENboost tweaks stuff under the hood to increase stability/FPS, and Imaginator uses in-engine effects so the FPS hit is negligible.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Agents are GO! posted:

ENboost tweaks stuff under the hood to increase stability/FPS, and Imaginator uses in-engine effects so the FPS hit is negligible.

I have ENBoost/Imaginator already, I checked Purity and the videos look really good, so I decided to give it a try.

Quick question about it though, I also have Climates of Tamriel and Enhanced Lights and FX and The Ruffled Feather (which tweaks water).

Is Purity going to be clashing with those? You mentioned having only purity for visuals, but were you referring to just ENBs, or stuff like lighting as well?

Sorry if I don't make a lot of sense, most of the mods I have I've just added over the past few installs because they sounded neat at the time but I'm not 100% of what some of the visual ones do. :shobon:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Purity and CoT are the same sorta thing in that they modify lighting/weather/ambiance so I think they would conflict.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got sick of Climates of Tamriel after a while, because everything just became so grey and bleak.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GunnerJ posted:

Purity and CoT are the same sorta thing in that they modify lighting/weather/ambiance so I think they would conflict.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I got sick of Climates of Tamriel after a while, because everything just became so grey and bleak.

Yeah, I installed Purity, disabled CoT and fiddled a bit with Imaginator and it looks really bloody good. Stood in the lake near Falkreath and saw the sun setting over the mountains and it was all colour and mood. :allears:

Now, is there anything that does the same for indoors?

Also holy poo poo the flora overhaul is murder on my system. I can pop in HR textures without a single frame drop, but if I install the regular version of flora overhaul instead of basic, I drop fps like a stone.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Now, is there anything that does the same for indoors?

There's a few lighting mods for indoor stuff but I've really liked ELFX for a while just because it makes actual light sources matter. Interiors without much ambient lighting look really good imo.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GunnerJ posted:

There's a few lighting mods for indoor stuff but I've really liked ELFX for a while just because it makes actual light sources matter. Interiors without much ambient lighting look really good imo.

I actually had that running but disabled it for Purity because I thought it'd interfere with it, but I ran the installer again and you can just not install the outdoor/weather modifications. Thanks! :tipshat:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I prefer Purity over CoT now because purity doesn't require compatibility patches, while CoT does.

That's because, as far as I can tell, CoT adds new weather and water types, while Purity just refines the vanilla types.

Also, let me reccomend all of Ramccoid's retextures. If his "Little Things" compilation is still up, grab it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
You know what? You're still ok in my book, Skyrim.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

You know what? You're still ok in my book, Skyrim.

That looks pretty drat great. Does that use any Imaginator settings? There's so many options in there I get confused. And whenever I change a bunch of things I think, yeah this looks good. Then I go back to the original default with just Purity and I think, yeah this'll do fine too. I'm quite partial to a bit of Warm Northern Lights, but heck, almost everything looks good during a Purity sunset.

I think I'm actually almost done modding. What a...novel idea. I'm somehow reluctant to actually play the game because I fully expect all of my mods to crap out on me after half an hour.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fleve posted:

That looks pretty drat great. Does that use any Imaginator settings? There's so many options in there I get confused. And whenever I change a bunch of things I think, yeah this looks good. Then I go back to the original default with just Purity and I think, yeah this'll do fine too. I'm quite partial to a bit of Warm Northern Lights, but heck, almost everything looks good during a Purity sunset.

I think I'm actually almost done modding. What a...novel idea. I'm somehow reluctant to actually play the game because I fully expect all of my mods to crap out on me after half an hour.

Yeah, the ones Agents are GO! posted a bit back:

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm just running Purity, the trees come from Flora Overhaul (basic, the regular loving murders my computer), and static mesh improvements, but I don't have anything else running, graphics-wise.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Ah yeah I tried those, the one tick of pixar added a bit too much color for my taste, though perhaps that was specific to the time of day, and my trees aren't upgraded yet. I'll give the trees a shot and see whether my PC starts complaining. I've already switched from ultra to high shadows and MSAA to FXAA, which made a big difference, to keep a sortof steady 40-60 FPS. I'd like to maintain that I think.

I'm starting to understand why modding is such a drug. It's similar to playing an RPG. Everything needs to be upgraded, made better, and you get to solve problems and do some tedious bullshit. It's a whole game in and of itself. I'm glad I've got Uncle Sheogorath's Really Helpful Hints and Tips to make the loading screens fun while I test things.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is there any tutorial on lootification? I want to use it with Immersive Armours and the mod page says it's already lootified, but the table you can download is for IAv6 and they're already releases IAv8, so I think I have to make a table myself?

Fleve posted:

I'm starting to understand why modding is such a drug. It's similar to playing an RPG. Everything needs to be upgraded, made better, and you get to solve problems and do some tedious bullshit. It's a whole game in and of itself. I'm glad I've got Uncle Sheogorath's Really Helpful Hints and Tips to make the loading screens fun while I test things.

I kinda made it a bit of a yearly project. Around summer (december here) I stop going to class and since it's year's end at work we usually implement a code freeze for most of Dec/Jan, so suddenly I have a bunch of free time, so I start playing with the idea of reinstalling; I think up something I haven't done before and start modding towards that. It's a zen sort of thing, you just tweak a bit here, a bit there, and then see the pretty results. Also I still love going "oooh, mountain!" and going on a 2 hour cross-map hike so I can climb a mountain and look at a sunset from there.

Maybe I'm just getting old. :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is there any tutorial on lootification? I want to use it with Immersive Armours and the mod page says it's already lootified, but the table you can download is for IAv6 and they're already releases IAv8, so I think I have to make a table myself?

I kinda made it a bit of a yearly project. Around summer (december here) I stop going to class and since it's year's end at work we usually implement a code freeze for most of Dec/Jan, so suddenly I have a bunch of free time, so I start playing with the idea of reinstalling; I think up something I haven't done before and start modding towards that. It's a zen sort of thing, you just tweak a bit here, a bit there, and then see the pretty results. Also I still love going "oooh, mountain!" and going on a 2 hour cross-map hike so I can climb a mountain and look at a sunset from there.

Maybe I'm just getting old. :v:

You can try my Improved Lootification XMLs on the nexus. It's only up to IA7.1, but I don't think IA8 changed much that matters to lootification.

Fleve: I like my games colorful. :shobon:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
/edit: ^^^^^^^ I like it too, your config goes a bit colour explosion in certain interiors, but 75% of that is that tick in mid bloom:

Check the Imperial planning room:

And with 0 to mid bloom:

I'm gonna keep using it though, so far it's the only instance of this I've seen, and I can live with holo maps. :v:

Agents are GO! posted:

You can try my Improved Lootification XMLs on the nexus. It's only up to IA7.1, but I don't think IA8 changed much that matters to lootification.

Actually IAv8 already comes with an in-game menu where you can choose which stuff to "put out in the world", so I'll just use that.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 15, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yes, but that doesn't add enchanted versions. :colbert:

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Well, tried the trees. No go. That's too much for my poor 1GB card. I can get a solid 60 FPS as long as I remain a sentry and don't move, but if I start running the game starts chugging. It's not that bad cause there's enough ram and an SSD behind it, but it's still not as smooth as the appropriate amount of vram. Not sure whether I should just roll with it or start cutting out mods. Turning off the flora mod and my second monitor seemed to already help quite a bit.

Agents are GO! posted:

Fleve: I like my games colorful. :shobon:

Hah, yeah vanilla and even Purity default could use a bit more color, but I'm gonna go with the Warm Northern Lights instead of pixar I think. There's just something about it that I like.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes, but that doesn't add enchanted versions. :colbert:

:effort:

Fleve posted:

Well, tried the trees. No go. That's too much for my poor 1GB card. I can get a solid 60 FPS as long as I remain a sentry and don't move, but if I start running the game starts chugging. It's not that bad cause there's enough ram and an SSD behind it, but it's still not as smooth as the appropriate amount of vram. Not sure whether I should just roll with it or start cutting out mods. Turning off the flora mod and my second monitor seemed to already help quite a bit.

Hah, yeah vanilla and even Purity default could use a bit more color, but I'm gonna go with the Warm Northern Lights instead of pixar I think. There's just something about it that I like.

Yeah, I can crank ridiculous textures all day long, but put a few trees and some grass and everything dies. Did you try the basic version instead of regular? That does the trick for me.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, I can crank ridiculous textures all day long, but put a few trees and some grass and everything dies. Did you try the basic version instead of regular? That does the trick for me.

Oh hey that actually works, thanks. In my hubris I tried regular first while thinking it was basic. If I go to some spots with lots of plants it still costs me 10 fps or so, but it's worth it cause that's some sweet looking shrubbery.

Ran through the countryside a bit more and the 1GB bottleneck isn't all that bad. It's sortof nostalgic actually, like when I first played Skyrim with my old 512mb card but now looking a lot better. Or when I first played Morrowind with an even worse card and ended up buying that 512mb card instead. TES games seem to sortof be my hardware upgrade signal.

Edit: Huh. Nice thing about the Mod Organizer is how easy it is to just quickly shut off some mods, or in fact try a default vanilla setup. Recording vram usage in the background, turns out I use up that 1GB with or without mods and most mods aren't really making it any worse.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 15, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Currently getting the error than the master Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Pack isn't present when I attempt to patch. I reinstalled on top of the old copy and it says the same thing, so what gives? How do I fix this?

ETA: Yes, I have the most recent editions of the PerMa and SkyRe Proc patchers.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 15, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If you're using Mod Organizer, you have to use the 32 bit java 7. If you don't, that's what happens.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

If you're using Mod Organizer, you have to use the 32 bit java 7. If you don't, that's what happens.

Can it use Java 8 or 9?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Uninstalled whatever I had, grabbed what should be 32-bit Java 7, and it happened again.

ETA: Had some conflicting mods going at the same time, hopefully removed the source of the problems.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 15, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Can it use Java 8 or 9?

Not to my knowledge, but LtSmash would know for sure.

And that was the extent of my guess.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Successfully patched, ran the game, leveled up...

What did I do wrong this time?

ETA: Forums elsewhere had directions for grabbing a missing file. Steam still thinks there's a missing file, no idea why.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 16, 2016

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You rolled a High Elf.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Done modding, started a fresh game, and I'm promptly treated to a rough ride by the Imperials. The carriage was bouncing all over the place and the camera was twirling around. It was quite amusing. Managed to fix it by enabling the fps limiter in the enboost thingy. Apparently vsync alone wasn't enough to ensure 60 fps. Or perhaps it was Immersive Armors, it sometimes seems to do this.

Anyway, everything works fine and drat. SPERG is great. Perks really do something instead of just adding X% of armor/damage. Combat Evolved & Deadly Combat makes for very fun, fast-paced combat where blocking actually matters. Against stronger enemies it's even better to just straight up dodge their slow wind-up swings. Bandoliers for more carrying capacity are great, I can't believe I ever played without them because I've always been a drat pack-rat. The Immersive Armors/Weapons look and feel perfect, I already found a spear, some weird pick-thing, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Makes me wonder whether I can finally go light armor without having to rely on elven or glass armor, I never liked how those looked. Day/night/weather cycles with Purity and Imaginator are awesome. I feel like I've finally reached the promised land of modding.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Same thing happened to a fresh install with the carriage when I got my girlfriend's Skyrim setup with a modest amount of 30-40 mods. Just utterly off-roading it like a rally horse-cart.

She's beat it on 360 but wanted to try it with mods after taking a break for a few years so I just installed Dimes QuickStart to get around it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That means your framerate is too high and you should probably run ENBboost to cap the game at 60fps. The physics are tied to the frame rate, so after you break 70FPS the cart thinks you're on the moon.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you're using an Nvidia card you should use NVIDIA Inspector to lock your framerate to 60FPS. I had bad luck with ENBoost and a number of other options because they weren't ensuring a minimum render time, so you'd get extreme stuttering because the game would render 60 frames at the start of a second then just wait and do nothing until the next second started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Fleve posted:

Anyway, everything works fine and drat. SPERG is great. Perks really do something instead of just adding X% of armor/damage. Combat Evolved & Deadly Combat makes for very fun, fast-paced combat where blocking actually matters. Against stronger enemies it's even better to just straight up dodge their slow wind-up swings. Bandoliers for more carrying capacity are great, I can't believe I ever played without them because I've always been a drat pack-rat. The Immersive Armors/Weapons look and feel perfect, I already found a spear, some weird pick-thing, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Makes me wonder whether I can finally go light armor without having to rely on elven or glass armor, I never liked how those looked. Day/night/weather cycles with Purity and Imaginator are awesome. I feel like I've finally reached the promised land of modding.

How do people feel about SPERG for hybrids? I'm looking through the PerMa trees and I'm not sure my desired build is going to be viable.

• Locked thread