Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ItBurns posted:

configure it to print out every new post in this thread which then falls into a toilet

This x10000

e: thread got better after zhulik posted, god bless anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Sorry to continue the derail, boss, but I just bought a new laptop (with a 980 :p) and I was wondering if the nvidia experience bollocks is the buggy piece of crap it appears to be. Sodding thing hasn't managed to launch once, despite several attempted re-downloads.

Oh, and I can't say anything bad about win 10. I've used it since launch and haven't had an actual bluescreen yet.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
It is indeed a buggy piece of poo poo with each new version having a 50/50 shot of running. It's completely optional however.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

Cute. I am serious though, all you are doing is saying it's great but not giving any reason as to why. Insulting my intelligence and technical knowledge is in no way going to make me change my mind.

Listen, even if it's the best OS in the world, you are doing very poorly in communicating it. If your company offers education reimbursement, I would heavily recommend taking a Dale Carnegie course. Don't feel insulted, I'm not trying to belittle the you. Quite the contrary, I'm very serious. I took all 4 of the Carnegie courses, they are fantastic and they greatly helped me. Everyone should take them at some point.

Here, let me help you a bit. In order to "win" a debate or argument, you don't get in one. Arus, when you tell someone they're wrong you have already caused that person to get defensive. That person gets all why am I wrong, no you're wrong, ect. You can't convince someone your opinion is correct, or even get the to begin liatening and trying to understand your opinions by saying they are wrong. And you know what? I actually did this at the beginning of this conversation, didn't I? I shut you down earlier in saying windows 10 was bad, and your next response was both defensive towards windows 10 as well as a challange against me and my opinions. We are never going to get anywhere with this. This is my fault.

Let's start over and have an actual discussion. I'll start by apologizing. I shouldn't have shut you down like that dude, I'm sorry. But you have you have to understand, I have a bad experience with it. The menus were buggy, to the extent that I bluescreened with a fresh restart on a new install simply by opening a profile customization window. There were multiple locations for the same options, not all of which actually altered the option. The fonts, window styles and so on were different depending on the menu, which made the entire thing feel very rushed and looked rather ugly. There were other things, but let's not dwell on this. I will admit a lot of the frustration I had with the OS was from several common programs completely loving up on it, such as firefox. At the time though they were not optimized for windows 10, and any issue firefox had with windows 10 is for mozilla to fix and not an issue of windows 10. So perhaps I'm letting that sway my opinion.

So please, arus, help me understand why you think windows 10 is so good. I'm not comfortable with ditching my current perfectly good, completely usable and still updated OS with something I can't consider completely dependable. I also don't feel like jumping head first into the beginning days of an OS, which have been historically a bit messy. For now I feel like not applying a new OS to my perfectly fine and fully functioning computer, and instead wait and watch how windows 10 develops. Again, sorry for being so confrontational about it. It was rather late and I was being a big prick.

New Thread Title.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

This x10000

e: thread got better after zhulik posted, god bless anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ZZp8XuUTE

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

Cute. I am serious though, all you are doing is saying it's great but not giving any reason as to why. Insulting my intelligence and technical knowledge is in no way going to make me change my mind.

Listen, even if it's the best OS in the world, you are doing very poorly in communicating it. If your company offers education reimbursement, I would heavily recommend taking a Dale Carnegie course. Don't feel insulted, I'm not trying to belittle the you. Quite the contrary, I'm very serious. I took all 4 of the Carnegie courses, they are fantastic and they greatly helped me. Everyone should take them at some point.

Here, let me help you a bit. In order to "win" a debate or argument, you don't get in one. Arus, when you tell someone they're wrong you have already caused that person to get defensive. That person gets all why am I wrong, no you're wrong, ect. You can't convince someone your opinion is correct, or even get the to begin liatening and trying to understand your opinions by saying they are wrong. And you know what? I actually did this at the beginning of this conversation, didn't I? I shut you down earlier in saying windows 10 was bad, and your next response was both defensive towards windows 10 as well as a challange against me and my opinions. We are never going to get anywhere with this. This is my fault.

Let's start over and have an actual discussion. I'll start by apologizing. I shouldn't have shut you down like that dude, I'm sorry. But you have you have to understand, I have a bad experience with it. The menus were buggy, to the extent that I bluescreened with a fresh restart on a new install simply by opening a profile customization window. There were multiple locations for the same options, not all of which actually altered the option. The fonts, window styles and so on were different depending on the menu, which made the entire thing feel very rushed and looked rather ugly. There were other things, but let's not dwell on this. I will admit a lot of the frustration I had with the OS was from several common programs completely loving up on it, such as firefox. At the time though they were not optimized for windows 10, and any issue firefox had with windows 10 is for mozilla to fix and not an issue of windows 10. So perhaps I'm letting that sway my opinion.

So please, arus, help me understand why you think windows 10 is so good. I'm not comfortable with ditching my current perfectly good, completely usable and still updated OS with something I can't consider completely dependable. I also don't feel like jumping head first into the beginning days of an OS, which have been historically a bit messy. For now I feel like not applying a new OS to my perfectly fine and fully functioning computer, and instead wait and watch how windows 10 develops. Again, sorry for being so confrontational about it. It was rather late and I was being a big prick.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Don't be mean to Diego, he's nice and well-meaning which is better than 90% of this thread.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Dale Carnegie courses all around!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna give Arus a hug. :glomp:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I wanna give Arus a hug. :glomp:

:wink:!!

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Don't be mean to Diego, he's nice and well-meaning which is better than 90% of this thread.

same

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Nah, let them. I mean, how is reposting that being mean to me? I was actually sincerely trying to help the dude realize I wasn't trolling, and went to help steer the conversation to an actual one instead of this no nuh uh you're wrong kindergarten poo poo. But arus was right, it was a derail, ect ect.

I didn't apologize as a mean of making arus look bad, if that's how people are taking it. I apologized as I know making an enemy is never a good thing to do, as all it means is that I will have to sit through his lovely trolling later on. Also I was being an rear end and was wrong about a few things.

Probad posted:

Dale Carnegie courses all around!

This, unironically.

It's amazingly helpful. It's not about stupid buisness bullshit, it's about helping you. It helps you get out of your shell and get out and be comfortable talking to people (which a lot of goons need badly). It helps you learn how to manage stress, and deal with stupid bullshit stressful stuff that pops up. It also helps you with giving speeches/presentations, which is what I needed to curb my wicked speech anxiety. Yeah, I the guy who never shuts up had huge loving issues when actually presenting something. Go figure.

In my class, there are like 4 classes and most of us went through it all together, there was this gooniest dude you can think of. He was a socially shy compter engineer, he argued with everyone over everything and he couldn't present anything without choking up. I'm sure this hits very close to home for most of you. At the end of it all he turned that poo poo right around. I watched him break out of his shell, stop being insufferable when spoken to and give such long wind wed and well thought out speeches that you couldn't shut him up. It was great.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I retreat to the "I'm loving kawaii" strategy because I can't give speeches

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

gooniest dude you can think of. He was a socially shy compter engineer, he argued with everyone over everything and he couldn't present anything without choking up

This is me irl

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Dale Carnegie's book is actually really good and helpful.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Xun posted:

I retreat to the "I'm loving kawaii" strategy because I can't give speeches

I literally would have panic attacks explaining something simple to a group of people, even though I had effortlessly done the same drat thing like 3 minutes prior to an audience of 2.

I would always make fun of my inability to give speeches when I would take a break to calm the poo poo down. I ended up turning it into a strength by using self referential humor when presenting. Apparently I have no issues making fun of myself, group or no group. :shrek: Something that doesn't go over so well when translated to a voiceless communication system like the forums or guild chat. :(

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

e: ^ god damnit now I feel bad

Just what we need, more long winded autists. Thanks a lot, Dale!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

what the gently caress is even happening in this thread anymore

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
the results of a game that refuses to update

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Rand Brittain posted:

Dale Carnegie's book is actually really good and helpful.

So what's funny is that his original class had books you couldn't keep and had to return. The reason? The dude of course didn't know everything about what he was doing and instead learned from his students as he was teaching them. He kept adding/altering the books, using the knowledge he gained from the sessions.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

CLAM DOWN posted:

Whatever it is, it's definitely an improvement.

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

the results of a game that refuses to update

Paradoxically, I liked it a lot more back when it didn't update meaningfully for over a year straight.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Sprite141 posted:

So what's funny is that his original class had books you couldn't keep and had to return. The reason? The dude of course didn't know everything about what he was doing and instead learned from his students as he was teaching them. He kept adding/altering the books, using the knowledge he gained from the sessions.

These margin doodles raise a good point. Big titties ARE the best.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

the results of an OP that refuses to update

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

Should of stuck to SWTOR kiddo.

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

Goons have difficulty communicating in a civil manner? Color me shocked.

Dukka posted:

:boom:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dukka posted:

sounds like Frog Dog talk to me

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

what the gently caress is even happening in this thread game anymore

Fixed?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

should HAVE stuck to SWTOR oh my god

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

New thread title

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dukka posted:

Is it too late to go back to wildstar

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

MooCowlian posted:

should HAVE stuck to SWTOR oh my god

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Which of these statements is correct: "Should of stuck to SW:ToR" or "Should have stuck to SW:ToR"?

A: Neither, the only MMO worth your time and money is Star Citizen.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I played through the newest SWTOR expansion and it was pretty good, but they haven't done any good updates to it in months.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Video games are for children.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Video games will do that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

let's get an sfd branch established in runescape

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Johnny Joestar posted:

let's get an sfd branch established in runescape

With my WvW skills we'd crush it in castle wars

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be real though being a member was actually really fun and all the minigames like castle wars were part of the reason why

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I played through the newest GW2 expansion and it was pretty good, but they haven't done any good updates to it in months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Man this could actually apply to so many games

• Locked thread