Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Pick 'em: League Championship Series
Pick the WINNERS, NUMBER OF GAMES (best-of-seven), and SCORE OF FINAL GAME
South Bolton Eazy W's in 6, 2-1 vs. Oklahoma City Bombers; Bombers in 7, 3-2
RCMP vs. Mitchell Kernels; Kernels in 5, 5-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DannoMack posted:

"a piece sticky glue paper"

Is this some sort of Canadianism for fly paper? Do you put out pieces sticky glue paper when you're tired of chasing bugs with the wiffled screen squishing stick?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

DannoMack posted:

Great writeup!! But man that was too close. If I'd lost another series to a gimmick stadium I might have had to become a demon-owner myself. Eagerly looking forward to someone drafting Crixy in the second round of the DD. Edit: Followed by Smasher adding "a piece sticky glue paper" to the draft and the Crixy owner being forced to trade, like, Tom Seaver and a 4th for a piece of sticky glue paper.

Southpaws did not have a gimmick stadium though?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Gabriel Pope posted:

Is this some sort of Canadianism for fly paper? Do you put out pieces sticky glue paper when you're tired of chasing bugs with the wiffled screen squishing stick?

Perhaps if one wanted to catch space flies one could use fly paper...

Pander posted:

Southpaws did not have a gimmick stadium though?

If you have a gimmick team, and your stadium is heavily optimized to favour your gimmick team, is not your stadium a gimmick stadium?

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 14, 2016

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Three Things!

First, I'm changing the rule slightly on the Macho Men Challenge/Tag Team Title holder situation. The old rule is that if a team holding the tag team titles got Macho Manned, they'd immediately get dispersed, but could win their way back through the Tag Team Tournament. The new rule is that if you're team is immortal so long as it holds the Tag Team Titles. If they get Macho Manned, they still won't die until they lose the tag team titles, at which point, they'll be dead at the end of the season no matter what. I think that's a little less clunky than the old rule.

Second, in Super-League IX, I ran a challenge between all of the champions of the Super-League to that point, with the winner getting a spot in Super-League X. I'm kind of interested in doing so again, but I want to see how many of those owners are interested in having teams compete in such a challenge. The eligible champs would be:

-SLIX: Luna Landers (mrnoun)
-SLX: Galactic Wanderers (mrnoun)
-SLXII: Fukuoka Finger-Bangers (Marauder)
-SLXV: Cancun Tornados (CFBalla or UltimoDragonQuest)
-SLXVI: Somali Pirates (Beet)
-SLXVII: Chicago Southpaws (Pander)

The W's might be eligible for that if they win the Finals and decide to challenge the Macho Men.

Third,

CFBalla
DannoMack
ForeverBWFC
mentholmoose

All of you, being veterans of this league, know well the question I am about to put before you. The Super-League Champion has the absolute right to challenge the Macho Men in a best-of-nine battle to the death. One team will live, and the other must certainly perish. Before I continue, let us reflect on the past...

The Skyhawks, Doppel-Bangers, Bobbleheads, Finger-Bangers, Landers, Wanderers, Losers, Tornados, Pirates and Southpaws were all champions. They all chose to face the Macho Men. They all were defeated.

I wonder if any of your teams would fare any better.

ForeverBWFC, the record for Super-League Championships is three. Therefore, you need to win two more to break that record. As your team will certainly die the minute it crosses paths with the Macho Men, reflect on whether you want to tie the record, or break it.

mentholmoose, you have come so far, and suffered so much. If and when your team wins the Super-League Championship, it will be the culmination of the greatest struggle in Super-League history. It would be a shame if I had to instantly turn that moment of glory into a tragedy.

CFBalla, you know well the power of the Macho Men. I destroyed the Tornados. I can do the same to the Kernels. I will do the same.

DannoMack, the thought of a team that took five games to beat the Zephyrs challenging the Macho Men is almost offensive to the senses. If you take this challenge, I will enjoy teaching you the price of hubris.

Who will challenge the Macho Men?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I'd like to see that challenge for the southpaws. It sounds fun. I'd still stick with the Panderers, because I don't think the southpaws would have anything left to prove short of a macho men rematch.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Smasher Dynamo posted:

DannoMack, the thought of a team that took five games to beat the Zephyrs challenging the Macho Men is almost offensive to the senses. If you take this challenge, I will enjoy teaching you the price of hubris.

The RCMP will take the Macho Challenge. As the price of our hubris will have to be converted from Canadian funds our cost will be the highest, which makes us the bravest/handsomest team to ever do so.

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 14, 2016

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

The only change I want to make for the SLCS, is put Ruth back in RF and Man-Ram back at DH. Keep them in the same batting spots. Thanks!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Who will challenge the Macho Men?

Should I win the Super-League finals, it will be as if I finally reached the summit of Mount Everest, seeing the majesty and splendor of the world from a vantage point that few men have ever seen, after a struggle that few men have had to endure. Accepting the Macho Man challenge could be me saying, "yes, I have seen the whole world, and I want to now see that which is otherworldly." However, it is against a man's most basic instincts to look at oblivion and say, "hey, give me a piece of that!" I decline the Macho Men challenge.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Pitching seems fine, and I don't think the Kernals have any LH SPs, so just small changes to the vs RHP lineup:

vs RHP
CF Tris Speaker L
LF Babe Ruth L
1B Lou Gehrig L
RF Larry Walker L
3B Wade Boggs L
2B Joe Morgan L
SS Joe Sewell L
C Ted Simmons S

Thanks Smasher!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

mentholmoose posted:

I decline the Macho Men challenge.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

mentholmoose posted:

I decline the Macho Men challenge.

Whats the Over-Under on all of the Bomber's starters getting injured next season?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bombers in 6, 6-2
Kernels in 7, 7-3

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You realize that Bombers not taking the challenge is less work for Smasher, right? He might end up continuously winning championships if Mentholmoose keeps declining to face the Macho Men, which would be not suspicious at all.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Oklahoma City Bombers in 7, 6-1
Mitchell Kernels in 6, 5-3

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Also, just realized I forgot Pick 'em: The Gauntlet, Round 5
Pick TWO!

Aperture Scientists
Florida Oranges

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
The Macho Men challenge.... of course I accept. I believe it's necessary and healthy for the league if the best teams that continue to win over a hundred games should be removed in the most graceful way possible to allow new teams a chance to shine. In my case, however, since the Kernels hold the tag titles, they will continue to live and crush Monicro/cbx's dreams until a worthy challenger arrives to face the Burnt Doritos. You all deserve this situation when you allow a team that's 50% Crows to dominate the league tourney. Still, I love the Crows. And the Masked SS/Josh Gibson combo will not be stopped so easily.

As for the Kernels and the current playoffs, no changes need to be made, as long as Jim McCormick and George Bradley are leading the way at SP1 and SP2. Time to get my revenge on the RCMP.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

The only change I want to make for the SLCS, is put Ruth back in RF and Man-Ram back at DH. Keep them in the same batting spots. Thanks!

Should I win the Super-League finals, it will be as if I finally reached the summit of Mount Everest, seeing the majesty and splendor of the world from a vantage point that few men have ever seen, after a struggle that few men have had to endure. Accepting the Macho Man challenge could be me saying, "yes, I have seen the whole world, and I want to now see that which is otherworldly." However, it is against a man's most basic instincts to look at oblivion and say, "hey, give me a piece of that!" I decline the Macho Men challenge.

Okay I take back what I said earlier, if we do the championship team battles and the Southpaws win I'm bringing them back just to murder the Bombers again and again and again.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

On another note, I'm open for trading.

Offering:

SP Jack Powell (1902, 27): Mogul-beloved Deadballer, did amazing for me (20-6!) despite my team having a poo poo-tier IF defense in a stunning 248.2(!!!) IP. Prime, invincible, awesome.
SP Red Donahue (1902, 29): Not beloved, but Mogul likes him all the same, did pretty good in 180 IP.
CF Heinie Manush (1933, 31): Hits real good, plays CF pretty well too. Redundant to me due to Edd Roush and Emmet Heidrick.
LF Goose Goslin (1933, 31): Great player, but wasted given Jesse Burkett holding the position down.

Looking for:

Contact and speed hitters at RF and 1B.
Modern era starters.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
ForeverBWFC

I honestly have no idea if you want to challenge the Macho Men or not. You said you did, but premised the challenge on having set the record for most Super-League titles, which you would not do if you won the Super-League this season.

mentholmoose

After all that Pander has pulled on you, I can't really blame you for wanting to stick it do him.

Oh, and the Smasher League is going to have home-field advantage in the Finals just because. In fairness, at time in baseball history has home-field advantage in the World Series ever been awarded to the team with the better record, so, that's just a part of the game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

In Even Year Bullshit related news, I have tallied up the results that Posey and Bumgarner had in the Mounties series and added them to my calculation sheet.

Buster Posey is currently slashing a .311/.392/.538 in the playoffs, and Madison Bumgarner is throwing a 1.22 ERA with a 0.919 WHIP.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

:siren: Trade Alert :siren:

rabidsquid sends me
1971 Luis Tiant
Right to swap 4th round picks

I send rabidsquid
1933 Heinie Manush

If rabidsquid gets relegated in the Gauntlet, then the swapping rights are obviously nullified.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Confirmed

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pander posted:

:siren: Trade Alert :siren:

rabidsquid sends me
1971 Luis Tiant
Right to swap 4th round picks

I send rabidsquid
1933 Heinie Manush

If rabidsquid gets relegated in the Gauntlet, then the swapping rights are obviously nullified.

I probably should mention the teams involved are The Panderers for me and The Mexecutioners for rabidsquid.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I question the Mexicutioners trading for a player that fits great on my team.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheMcD posted:

Too many solo dingers this season.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

TheMcD posted:

You want a Heinie Manush? I've got a Heinie Manush. I'm considering making big changes to the Dragons.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

rabidsquid posted:

Too many solo dingers this season.

The solution to that problem is to acquire Barry Bonds. You will see when CSKA Llama defeats you in the Gauntlet with superior dingerability. ...maybe. I don't even know if you're going to end up in the Gauntlet. As you may notice, I have a penchant for talking out my rear end when it comes to the Super-League, but I won the Vae Victis division, and that means I'm now an authority. Or something. Maybe on lovely gimmick teams.

Milt Thompson posted:

You want a Heinie Manush? I've got a Heinie Manush. I'm considering making big changes to the Dragons.

I already HAVE a Heinie Manush! That's how I know he fits great on my team.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I would really enjoy getting a Bonds or a Ruth but everyone is too afraid to let them enter the subterranean evil dinger machine

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

let me tell you, bonds and ruth in dinger stadiums is rad as gently caress man

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Time to disappoint everybody once more.

Part 1 of Plan Keep Craig In Purgatory Forever is complete.
The Oranges are still around, I guess.
The Vault Boys ran into the one thing they couldn't beat: teams that could beat the gently caress out of the Llamas.
The Llamas, well, see above.

I don't know what the deal is with this Larry Andersen situation, but I guess it works.

The Scientists figured out how to hit dingers too. That's a shame.

Can the Oranges never die?

The good news is, Riggs did not kill you. The bad news is, Burleigh Grimes killed you.

Well, there's only one round left! But it will have to wait until later.

Pick 'em: The Worst Playoffs
Pick the winners, number of games (7-game series) and final score of the last game.

St. Maarten Storm @ Akabira Killer Mikes
Upstate Highlanders @ Rochester Generics

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

:rip: Vault Boys. 7th time's the charm? Lucky number seven?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

ForeverBWFC

I honestly have no idea if you want to challenge the Macho Men or not. You said you did, but premised the challenge on having set the record for most Super-League titles, which you would not do if you won the Super-League this season.

gently caress it, I'll settle for not setting it. Besides, people are getting bored of the W's by now, and the N-S could do with a shake-up!

The W's ACCEPT the Macho Challenge.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Pick 'em: The Worst Playoffs
I'm in the playoffs????

Pick the winners, number of games (7-game series) and final score of the last game.

St. Maarten Storm @ Akabira Killer Mikes; Killer Mikes in 5, 7-2
Upstate Highlanders @ Rochester Generics; Generics in 6, 4-1

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

St. Maarten Storm @ Akabira Killer Mikes. Killer Mikes in 6( 9-5)
Upstate Highlanders @ Rochester Generics Generics in 7 (8-6)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

gently caress it, I'll settle for not setting it. Besides, people are getting bored of the W's by now, and the N-S could do with a shake-up!

The W's ACCEPT the Macho Challenge.

Making me do extra work is bad.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Making me do extra work is bad.

Should've let the Zephyrs win. With Schillings missing and the team still not fully formed, there was no way I would take on the challenge this season. And really, I wouldn't take on the challenge period unless I was sure I dominated the Super-League. And of course, you know full well that with my framing conditions of a starting pitching staff consisting pretty much entirely of Curt Schilling (and Madison Bumgarner), there is no way that is ever going to happen.

Clearly, it is for the good of the Super-League if the Zephyrs win all the things. Note: Zephyrs winning all the things may not actually be good for Super-League.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

In the IRC channel, FairGame suggested I DM a D&D campaign or something during the offseason. I'm ambivalent, but I wanted to see if there's interest.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

In the IRC channel, FairGame suggested I DM a D&D campaign or something during the offseason. I'm ambivalent, but I wanted to see if there's interest.

Sign me up obviously.

I kinda want to suggest GUMSHOE as having more of a tie to the SL we know and love though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I've honestly always wanted to get into something like that, but don't have any experience. If that's not a major problem, then there's definite interest from my side (though that might cause time zone troubles...).

EDIT: And I guess I have good credentials, too. I've written Sub-Par recaps, meaning I can make poo poo up on the fly really easily, and I built a massive gimmick team, meaning that numbercrunching is up my alley. What else could one wish for?

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

very interested, though I've never played D & D. I have however listened to that podcast where bad D & D players play it for my amusement.