Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

jabby posted:

Regardless, it's the second poll so far that shows a big drop in Tory support which is ace. It's just mildly annoying that the whole tone of the press release seems to ooze 'Labour can't possibly be doing this well, everyone knows that'.

I would think Labour would actually be doing a lot better if something was dealt to the press that kept them in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Coohoolin posted:

I'm pretty sure I grew up using European plugs in Swiss sockets every day?

Ehh sorry I think I was misinformed a bit. I suppose they are compatible? I know I had problems when I was in Switzerland though.

The grounding pin is still dickish. Not sure if better or worse than the Danish one though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

If those Brussels bureaucrats want to force us to change plugs, I'll salute them. The BS 1363 three-pin (rectangular) is a piece of garbage and the idea that a phone charger or a netbook plug needs an earth pin that makes it twice the size is ridiculous. If they promised to force us to use 4mm Europlugs for all double insulated devices pulling less than 2.5A (or 5.1mm shaver-style plugs and 5A) I'd be on board with that.

For higher currents like for washing machines and toasters and such they can keep the 3 pin plugs, or switch to the French or German types, or ideally the Danish ones that look like a happy face. :yayclod:
UK plugs are clearly superior from a technical and safety standpoint, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a reactionary Europhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfP1OKKz_Q

European plugs are loving poo poo. US plugs are loving poo poo. I don't even want to know what kind of crap they use in China, probably just stick knitting needles in the sockets.

Also, accidentally standing on a UK plug builds character, and causes you to instinctively drive on the correct side of the road.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I work with big data and I work at a very large ISP. I think I might have some idea!

Hard drives are cheap. Security is absolutely going to be the driver of cost.

I think I took the original post's "no problem" too literally

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

XMNN posted:

ecstasy and acid are p much dirt cheap for what they are, eg compared to a night out drinking

depends who you go out drinking with really, and how many lap dances they have.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

And mandated more consistent use of ground fault trips instead of fuses in every plug.

I'm pretty sure the standard in a consumer unit these days is to have an RCD on every circuit, with dedicated ones for cookers etc that need more power, and the UK design allows for the shutters the block the live/neutral until the earth pin is inserted (along with the insulated bits on the live/neutral so you can't grab those bits of the pin while there connected and get a shock).

The individual fuse is in addition to the RCD, which isn't a bad thing, and is a hang-over from the fuse-wire days before trips

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

LemonDrizzle posted:

e: what happens if you run an opinion polling company and people lose confidence in your results is that they stop commissioning you to do market research for them and then you go broke.

I've worked in Demand Planning and we had the same problem there: "Yes, we know our forecasts are always inaccurate but, hey, it's not like you have anything else to go on! :)"

Thinking about it, if polling companies ever DID develop utterly precise and infallible polling tools, there'd be no need for elections any more! It'd be a real money saver.

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 14, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If pollsters care so much about the effects of rounding, maybe they shouldn't do it. Just one of my reckons there

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's the Corbyn surge.

FEEL THA POWAH. IT'S A NEW DAY!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Private Speech posted:

Looks so innnocent, but the holes are a tiny little bit too small.

back to the house of lords with you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renfield posted:

The individual fuse is in addition to the RCD, which isn't a bad thing, and is a hang-over from the fuse-wire days before trips
That's the problem with most of the quirks of the UK electrical system, they're a hangover that never got properly fixed.

I'd say the ring system is probably the worst out of all of them, saving small amounts of copper in exchange for having the outlets still potentially work with underrated wire and start in-wall fires, but forcing things that do not need an earthing pin to have one just to open the shutters is up there too.

I remember a long time back we used to have lab sockets where the shutters had little dimples in them so they could be opened up either with a three pin rectangle or a two pin round, but not with a knitting needle or paperclip. That seems like a good compromise. It's also the exact thing that they specifically banned when the rest of Europe was trying to encourage 4mm Europlug compatibility in 3-pin wall outlets.

tooterfish posted:

anyone who thinks otherwise is a reactionary Europhile.
First time I've been called that in one of these threads.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tooterfish posted:

UK plugs are clearly superior from a technical and safety standpoint, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a reactionary Europhile.

European plugs are loving poo poo. US plugs are loving poo poo. I don't even want to know what kind of crap they use in China, probably just stick knitting needles in the sockets.

Also, accidentally standing on a UK plug builds character, and causes you to instinctively drive on the correct side of the road.

i don't know if it matters but i like the fact most sockets in the UK have a switch to switch it off

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

but forcing things that do not need an earthing pin to have one just to open the shutters is up there too.

Why? It seems like a reasonable safety feature. Do people really want to get rid of that pin?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jose posted:

i don't know if it matters but i like the fact most sockets in the UK have a switch to switch it off

Me too, I don't like all my electricity leaking out in Europe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Why? It seems like a reasonable safety feature. Do people really want to get rid of that pin?
In the past it was a reasonable safety feature. That's because in the past there was a lot of trash electrical systems where a live wire could come loose and make the entire chassis hot, or the entire chassis was designed to be hot and inside a wooden box, or if you plugged the 2 pin plug upside down one suddenly some of the external lugs are at 240Vac yet everything looks like it's working perfectly, and the first warning that you got was when you touched one and died because the wire fuse didn't care whether you were a load or a person.

Most places decided to combat this with a series of good standards for double insulation to ensure that this would never happen, and for devices where it could happen, went with a longer grounding pin or a strip on the outside of the plug that always made contact first, then mandated GFI/RCD combinations in case all that failed. That meant that most of your light duty electronics could get away with small plugs without you being in danger, whereas your heavy duty stuff got giant plugs and a grounding pin/strip/whatever. The UK decided to go with giant plugs for everyone, which doesn't offer much of an advantage in a lot of newer cases. Having your chargers or light electronics with 2 pins is no more dangerous than having your shaver or toothbrush with 2 pins now.

I suppose these exist, but they look like One Weird Trick that firefighters hate.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Guavanaut posted:

Should just get everyone to install these:

Even though they sell those or similar in quite a few places, they're technically illegal because of a clause in the BS relating to electrical outlets that specifically outlaws sockets that can accept a 4mm Europlug. This happened around the same time that most of the rest of Europe was changing their socket standards to specifically accept 4mm Europlugs in addition to their national 3-pin standard.

This wouldn't necessarily be such a terrible thing if the UK had kept the 5.1mm shaver-style plugs rated at 5A to allow phone chargers and other double-insulated devices that don't need an earth pin to take up less space. And scrapped the ring system because it's awful. And mandated more consistent use of ground fault trips instead of fuses in every plug.

ring mains are loving terrible and the reason bs-1363 is so loving overdesigned is because british wiring is crap. the fuse is only there to protect the wiring from faults because 3A @ 240V is enough power to burn out just about any tiny device and 13A @ 240V is enough to burn out anything else. It's not gonna stop your faulty device from blowing up, just the mains lead.

Earthed plugs are cool and good and so are RCD/GFCI but the rest of the world just fuses at the consumer unit and moved on.

The caltrop that is the plug is also way too loving large but that's not really fixable unless you rewire the entire country.

e: blame ww2 for making it seem like a good idea to cheap out on copper

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 14, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

I think originally the commonplace socket type was not intended for low power applications, instead you would use a two pin unearthed socket which ran at a much lower voltage.

But then we started just using three pin for everything.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Malcolm XML posted:

The caltrop that is the plug is also way too loving large but that's not really fixable unless you rewire the entire country.

At least it doesn't fall out when a cat looks at it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think originally the commonplace socket type was not intended for low power applications, instead you would use a two pin unearthed socket which ran at a much lower voltage.

The voltage was the same, but you're right about the rest. There was the 15A round pin socket for big stuff, like fires and cookers, and the smaller 5A/2A sockets that were used for everything else. They had three pins too, but you could plug a shaver or an insulated lamp into just the bottom two, which was the origin of the shaver socket spec.

You still see them around in theatres and hotels sometimes. And India and South Africa and probably some other former colonies.

As Malcolm XML said though, the wiring behind the whole thing was terrible and so the decision was made to overdesign at the socket.

Also in the old old round pin ones you could just shove a hairpin into them without anything stopping you, but that has been fixed for a while, I'd be very surprised if you saw any unshuttered round pin ones. Or maybe not given some of the 'housing' stock being shoved back onto the market.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I was actually talking about using the earth pin to open the covers over the live and neutral, to prevent kids sticking things in there. You can get rid of the earth and have slightly smaller plugs, but you would lose that feature.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So how does the rest of the world wire up houses compared to us? I'd never thought there was a difference until now.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

jabby posted:

I was actually talking about using the earth pin to open the covers over the live and neutral, to prevent kids sticking things in there. You can get rid of the earth and have slightly smaller plugs, but you would lose that feature.

He already mentioned that some three pin sockets have cammed covers on the lower holes so they can be pushed open by round pins, so no.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Private Speech posted:

Ehh sorry I think I was misinformed a bit. I suppose they are compatible? I know I had problems when I was in Switzerland though.

The grounding pin is still dickish. Not sure if better or worse than the Danish one though.

Yeah we bought stuff from Italy all the time and it worked fine. The bitch of it is when you bring your Swiss poo poo to Europe and forget about the missing third hole in the sockets, because a lot of Swiss plugs don't bother with three prongs anyway so you get used to just thinking like that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

You can shutter a 2-pin socket too to prevent that, you just have a shutter that only swings open if both pins are being inserted at the same time, like how they do now with the bathroom sockets for shavers. Or used to do with lab sockets that would take both 3-pin rectangular and 2-pin round.

Tesseraction posted:

So how does the rest of the world wire up houses compared to us? I'd never thought there was a difference until now.
Most of the developed world uses a radial circuit:

Everything going to a certain room goes to a junction box through wiring rated for greater than the whole of that room, then each socket gets a wire from the junction box rated for greater than that socket, so say 15A for a 13A socket. There's no way to overload the wiring without deliberately doing something bad. If a wire comes loose, the socket stops working.

The UK uses a ring circuit:

The wires for each ring (usually one ring for every couple of rooms, plus one for big rooms like the kitchen, but lol British housing) split out in two ways and go in and out of each socket in a big loop. The wires are rated for 2/3 of the ring, so say 20A wire for a 30A ring. Because the current goes around both ways, that's theoretically below the rated value of the wire, and it saves a bit of copper.
Problem is, if one of those wires falls out, or if there's a break in the ring due to something gnawing it, everything will keep working fine without you noticing. You can load up the full 30A on the ring on one side of the break and not notice a problem, but you now have 30A going through a 20A rated wire, which is probably inside a drywall conduit full of sawdust and dry mouse poo poo. Then you have a problem.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cool I see 30 seconds of the news and they have a disabled person on saying cuts to his care are actually good because they taught him how to shop online. BBC bringin that balance

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Funny. I learned to shop online because of a desire for cheap books and electrical goods, but I can see how a crippling fear of homelessness and death might work too.

IDS really knows his stuff, he's been on the dole and everything.

edit: electrical goods with BRITISH PLUGS mind you.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 14, 2016

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The fash did not have a fun night in Portsmouth tonight :ninja:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

The fash did not have a fun night in Portsmouth tonight :ninja:

No-one has a fun night in Portsmouth, so that's not surprising.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Most of the developed world uses a radial circuit:

The UK uses a ring circuit:

Ahh, nice. Yeah I see the problem with our system now. Still like are pluggs, though.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

baka kaba posted:

Cool I see 30 seconds of the news and they have a disabled person on saying cuts to his care are actually good because they taught him how to shop online. BBC bringin that balance

Naturally. I trust he is investing the savings into his pauper ISA. They really cannot do enough for the undeserving poor.

Wait, it wasn't that shill who wrote articles about how sanctions help disabled people shake off their sponging ways, was it?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Tesseraction posted:

Ahh, nice. Yeah I see the problem with our system now. Still like are pluggs, though.

its a costs savings due to austerity that imposed long term burdens on society for not even a lot of short term gain

what kind of leftist are you

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Cerv posted:

I think I took the original post's "no problem" too literally

Well it's "no problem" in the sense that cheap mass distributed storage has been a solved problem for over a decade now. It's "not a lot of data" in the sense that it's basically text so it's unlikely to even approach the storage requirements of anything involving mass video. Assuming the government isn't planning on doing its ad hoc analytic processes on said data using the ISPs' own infrastructure you certainly won't need the latency of Twitter. It all depends on use cases... It would be interesting to know if the government even has the slightest idea of what this would actually really look like in practice.

Edit:

As much as I'd love to believe the ICM poll it shows UKIP on 11 and SNP on 3...

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 15, 2016

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Edit:

UKIP field candidates everywhere but SNP can only be voted in in Scotland, wouldn't that account for it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is that surprising, UKIP got more than twice as many votes as the SNP during the GE. The SNP has a vote share most comparable to the Greens.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 15, 2016

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

winegums posted:

UKIP field candidates everywhere but SNP can only be voted in in Scotland, wouldn't that account for it?

UKIP normally gets 12-16% and SNP 4-5% in national polls. So unless you believe both the SNP and UKIP have suddenly lost ~20% of their vote back to Labour it's an outlier.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

A few years back a design student redesigned the plug in a way that would allow it to keep all the good features (shutters and partway insulation over the live pins, grounding pin always making contact first) while stopping it being an unwieldy piece of poo poo that lands spikes up on the floor and cracks laptop screens and takes up too much space on a power strip or in a bag. And it's even backwards compatible during any changeover period.

I haven't seen it make any headway anywhere though.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So William Hague has taken to the Telegraph and basically admitted more budget cuts make no goddamn sense but we should do them anyway. Some choice bits:

quote:

But he also receives a great deal of other advice, such as the report from a group of economists called the Item Club, saying it would be “bad economics” to go ahead with £4 billion of fresh cuts to government spending. These economists are no doubt experienced and well-informed professionals. You can understand their line of reasoning: since the world economy is slowing, affecting the British economy as it does so, taking more spending out of the Government’s own Budget might accidentally slow it down a bit more – therefore don’t do it.

Understandable, but completely wrong. One of the worst things the Chancellor could do would be to take this well-intentioned, highly-paid, carefully thought out but utterly mistaken advice.

The economists are proceeding on the assumption that economics is a science, in which a cut in government spending has an identifiable effect on the business and individuals who would have received the money, who in turn buy fewer goods, and so on.

In reality, however, economics is more of an art, in which maintaining confidence that a plan is being stuck to and that discipline will be exerted whenever necessary far outweighs the importance of government spending being a particular number.

Or to put it another way, yes lots of economists are telling us that cutting is a bad idea. But we can ignore them because economics isn't one of those 'sciences' where cuts might actually affect things like businesses and individuals. No, the important thing is to maintain confidence that we have a 'plan' and that 'discipline' will be 'exerted'.

So yeah, government cuts are more about sending a message than being based on any economic evidence.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

A few years back a design student redesigned the plug in a way that would allow it to keep all the good features (shutters and partway insulation over the live pins, grounding pin always making contact first) while stopping it being an unwieldy piece of poo poo that lands spikes up on the floor and cracks laptop screens and takes up too much space on a power strip or in a bag. And it's even backwards compatible during any changeover period.

I haven't seen it make any headway anywhere though.

Wouldn't be allowed to have earth and a power pin so close, probably. Then there's the matter of fragility...

What I want to know is how the hell you cracked a laptop screen with a wall plug. Those two things shouldn't go anywhere near each other.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

HorseLord posted:

Wouldn't be allowed to have earth and a power pin so close, probably. Then there's the matter of fragility...

What I want to know is how the hell you cracked a laptop screen with a wall plug. Those two things shouldn't go anywhere near each other.

some people occasionally unplug their laptops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
in practice, an actual house with a radial main will be daisy chaining the heck out of its sockets in each room, not linking every single one to a junction box

in a non-postwar-austerity age, it's possible to just use higher-rated wire in a ring main. When you have to add more sockets to a room (due to, e.g., an explosion in consumer electronics that all want their own socket), a ring main is much easier to modify than a daisy-chained radial setup

• Locked thread