Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Other games should steal shanties from those games in some sort of... shanty raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Agents are GO! posted:

Other games should steal shanties from those games in some sort of... shanty raid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9bXjttMxKY

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Agents are GO! posted:

This but mixed with the nemisis system. Endless robust personal shanties. Via hireable bards.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Procedurally-generated shanties!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Procedurally-generated rogue-like permadeath shanties.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just getting around to playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong, and I really like these games, but it does get a bit tedious talking to all the incidental characters between missions. Especially when you've just done a couple of no-combat or low-combat missions, so it's been a long time since you've seen much other than dialogue.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Just getting around to playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong, and I really like these games, but it does get a bit tedious talking to all the incidental characters between missions. Especially when you've just done a couple of no-combat or low-combat missions, so it's been a long time since you've seen much other than dialogue.

Crafty Xu, Duncan and Is0bel are the only 3 you have to talk to. The rest you can ignore. Just hope your game doesn't bug out and took me two or three new games to get the flags to go off properly so I could get the ending I wanted.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it possible to hold off speaking to those characters and just exhaust their dialogue trees near the end, like Dragonfall? I do know you have to sleep between every mission.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Crafty Xu, Duncan and Is0bel are the only 3 you have to talk to. The rest you can ignore. Just hope your game doesn't bug out and took me two or three new games to get the flags to go off properly so I could get the ending I wanted.

It's not that I don't want to see the dialogue, I'd just like some combat or something to break it up a bit. Also the layout of that between-mission area is really irritating so it's not entirely straight-forward to be sure you've spoken to everyone.

I think I actually missed a bit of Dragonfall because I didn't realise that an NPC had spawned in a shop that didn't sell anything I cared about, and this game seems worse in that way, that if you want to see everything you have to really hunt around for those merchants you have no business with.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Procedurally-generated shanties!

Dwarf fortress has this, sort of. It just describes the song/poem and you can fill in the words yourself if you want.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Unhgadir sings a shanty. It is about that one time he cut down an entire forest by himself and built an exquisite masterwork chair at age 9. The shanty is fearsome. It features 884765232 versions of itself within.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

This but mixed with the nemisis system. Endless robust personal shanties. Via hireable bards.

This makes me want a Shadow of Mordor/ 8 Mile mashup where you go around finding out your oppenents weaknesses then challenging them to a rap battle.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it possible to hold off speaking to those characters and just exhaust their dialogue trees near the end, like Dragonfall? I do know you have to sleep between every mission.

Yeah, it gets really weird with some of them and Duncan can bug out pretty badly if you do that. Twice he got stuck in a loop of "Hey wanna talk, Duncan?" "Okay" "Hey wanna talk, Duncan?" "Okay" so I couldn't proceed. Crafty also has a problem with her doing that, so it's better to just chat with those three after handing in a mission just in case.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Moon Monster posted:

Dwarf fortress has this, sort of. It just describes the song/poem and you can fill in the words yourself if you want.

It should also be noted the game has procedurally generated instruments, like some kind of circular harp with 57 strings, or my personal favorite, the útost;

But this thread isn't about the most insane game ever, so I will just say that a small thing bugging me about Stardew Valley is that before you know who everyone is and what their routines/jobs are, tracking specific people down can be a real pain in the butt. Would be really nice to have some kind of symbol on the map for who is in a particular area or something.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Contradiction is a fun FMV adventure game that is surprisingly good-looking for what a low budget it was made on, but some of the props look really lazy in a way that isn't excused by the budget. Items like business cards and cheques are obviously something they just printed onto a piece of normal A4 paper and cut out instead of using the real thing, a tote bag from a store has a paper logo stuck onto it instead of actually getting one printed for like $20 online, and one of the big props of the game is a paper mask that's obviously a mass-produced one from a craft store when you can make your own in a half an hour with ten bucks worth of plaster strips and some vaseline.

e. Some of the day-for-night effects are really poor too, which is kind of a problem when your game takes place mostly at night.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Mar 14, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
man, s' been a while since I played xenoblade x, why did I ever stop?

oh. right. gotta explore 20% of the boring forest area, i've placed all the probes I can find, and the places where I can't place them are either because I can't fly or there's level 50 monsters loving everywhere keeping me from getting around to the areas that would let me place probes. guess IO can fight some tyrants..oh wait, it isn't raining on the fourth of august at 5:33 P.M. yet so I can't fight some of the tyrants that wouldn't just step on me

..I just want the giant robot, ok? I also wish I could reclass elma and lin because they're gonna be in my party the whole game (whether i want them in it or not), and they pretty much have all they're ever gonna have.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BillmasterCozb posted:

oh. right. gotta explore 20% of the boring forest area, i've placed all the probes I can find, and the places where I can't place them are either because I can't fly or there's level 50 monsters loving everywhere keeping me from getting around to the areas that would let me place probes. guess IO can fight some tyrants..oh wait, it isn't raining on the fourth of august at 5:33 P.M. yet so I can't fight some of the tyrants that wouldn't just step on me

..I just want the giant robot, ok? I also wish I could reclass elma and lin because they're gonna be in my party the whole game (whether i want them in it or not), and they pretty much have all they're ever gonna have.

I stopped for a similar reason. In order to advance the story I had to be level 30 and I got bored grinding side quests. I ended up cheating it by finding some level 40 prone and walking over them with my robot until they died.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've discovered a much bigger thing dragging down Shadowrun Hong Kong. A bug that makes one of the missions impossible to finish that seems to be widely known about and hasn't been addressed by the developers. Apparently some NPCs you meet are supposed to give you a key you need, but sometimes they don't, and the only advice anyone has is to just redo the mission until it works. :argh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So Gundam Breaker 3 is really fun. It's better than the second, which was really fun. It has one problem though. There's a new mode called Bounty Hunter which lets you fight AI controlled copies of other people's gundams for rewards. This is really useful for getting specific parts you want since if you see a guy using a cool gun you like, you can just fight him and hope you get it. However the problem is with the AI. You see, they don't have any limits on using their special moves like you do. Or their super moves. Or their ultimate skills. So, as an example, there's one move that gives you a barrier that hurts anyone that tries to attack you in melee range. Normally it only lasts a short while but AI enemies will activate it and it will last forever. Or sometimes they'll just sit in the air spamming ultimate anime explosions forever until you shoot them down. It also only happens in this one mode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finally got around to playing Earthbound (currently at Saturn Valley) but progressing the story can get tricky at times with figuring out what to do. Even the hints can be vague, like when he mentions the Tent in Threed. I spend too long fumbling around the circus tent before finally finding the purple tent in the south, partially because I thought the circus tent was in the south and the purple one didn't appear on the map so I never knew it existed. Also, some status effects are really obnoxious with no items to heal them, like Mushroom or Tiny Ghost.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

I've finally got around to playing Earthbound (currently at Saturn Valley) but progressing the story can get tricky at times with figuring out what to do. Even the hints can be vague, like when he mentions the Tent in Threed. I spend too long fumbling around the circus tent before finally finding the purple tent in the south, partially because I thought the circus tent was in the south and the purple one didn't appear on the map so I never knew it existed. Also, some status effects are really obnoxious with no items to heal them, like Mushroom or Tiny Ghost.

I love Earthbound, but after replaying it a year or two ago I can really understand some of the frustration with the whole "where do I go now?" question. It's really one of those games where you need to just keep talking to everyone, and some random NPC will say "Oh hey there's a weird thing in this location north of town?" or something.

Though granted there is that hint guy - I just don't know how common he is to find.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there should be a hint guy in every town but i haven't replayed earthbound recently enough to say for sure

that being said earthbound is a game where you should look at a walkthrough real quick once you get stuck; it's not a game you play because of the combat or the 'puzzles', you play to see the next goofy fun thing

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

RyokoTK posted:

Dark Souls is hard because you have to think and pay attention, which you honestly really don't have to do in most games. If you know what's going on, it doesn't demand that much actual dexterity or skill on the player's behalf. It's just that if you play lazy you're gonna get your rear end kicked, and if you're stupid and lack pattern recognition then you'll have more trouble with it than you're probably supposed to. The reputation the games have is probably predicated on that.

The only exception to me is Bloodborne, which I have beaten several times and still struggle with because it's such a fast-paced game.

Yeah, basically since Demon's up to Dark 2, it is all about being careful, taking your time, and actually noticing environmental cues. Bloodborne is a much, much more aggressive and fast paced game.

This image still rings true to me regarding all of the game. It is not too hard as long as you take your time (with exceptions such as the Capra demon, which is more or less a gear check, or the Chaos Bed which is badly designed in Dark 1, or the Ruin Sentinels and the Ruin Sentinels in the dang little room in Dark 2, did not play enough of Scholar to get complaining material, I should reinstall it.)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Luisfe posted:

Yeah, basically since Demon's up to Dark 2, it is all about being careful, taking your time, and actually noticing environmental cues. Bloodborne is a much, much more aggressive and fast paced game.

This image still rings true to me regarding all of the game. It is not too hard as long as you take your time (with exceptions such as the Capra demon, which is more or less a gear check, or the Chaos Bed which is badly designed in Dark 1, or the Ruin Sentinels and the Ruin Sentinels in the dang little room in Dark 2, did not play enough of Scholar to get complaining material, I should reinstall it.)

im just gonna post the third adventurer here

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Suitaru posted:

im just gonna post the third adventurer here

8/10. No GiantDad outfit.

:colbert:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BillmasterCozb posted:

oh. right. gotta explore 20% of the boring forest area, i've placed all the probes I can find, and the places where I can't place them are either because I can't fly

I'm about five minutes from selling my copy on eBay or in SA-Mart. I gave it a helluva long time to finally get good, but it just isn't clicking with me the way I thought it would.

Oh cool a probe spot ah balls it's up too high ok let's run to the next one ah balls it's up too high well here's a tyrant oh level 75 never mind then, hey another probe point there in the distance, lemme run over to it ah balls it's up too high, guess I'll kill some lovely identical enemies for a while until my level goes up, then go navigate the incomprehensible layout of the city to find people to talk to (if I can manage to read the tiny dialog text) so they can tell me to go kill some poo poo that is way above my level or find a thing that is on a high ledge, oh hey it's a cutscene, let's listen to these anime voice actors ham it up for ten minutes while my character stares silently at them

It's so loving boring. I think my favorite part so far was the pizza I got as a preorder bonus :yotj:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Everything I hear about how Dark Souls handles diffoculty makes it sound like single player Quake, which is more about learning monster patterns and paying attention rather than dancing a ballet like Doom.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dark Souls isn't as bad as people make out at all and even if you kind of suck at it the game has a magic system that totally breaks the difficulty over its knee. That's less true for the dlc in the sequel but obviously that's all optional.

I think the perception of difficulty comes from the fact that you can go into areas at the start that are too high level (unless you got good in previous playthroughs) and its easy to get there and there's no you're about to get hosed warning. The game is very loose about giving you directions with where you're supposed to go. And then people will bash their head against the wall in some boss fights over and over without thinking ever thinking about why they lose and varying their approach.

Goofballs has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Mar 14, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I always thought that the Dark Souls Difficulty came from a combination of harsh punishment and an actual approach to difficulty not seen in many other games.

The difficulty honestly feels more like a puzzle game, because it's all about observing and understanding what's ahead of you rather than just straight-up Being Good At The Game. At the same time, though, it will gently caress you right up if you mess up;there's rarely any room to recover, it's just YOU DIED. Of course, part of why it works so well is that even death is a pretty light punishment in Dark Souls, you're not set back too far, but it's still the worst the game can punish you.

Dark Souls isn't Contra Hard, or Ninja Gaiden Hard. Dark Souls is actually Abe's Oddysee Hard pretending to be Ninja Gaiden Hard.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I haven't touched a Souls game, but in that animated example, I'm guessing you can't just run in, discover the traps, and reload knowing where they are?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't touched a Souls game, but in that animated example, I'm guessing you can't just run in, discover the traps, and reload knowing where they are?

You can 100% do that, and ironically playing like person 1, while being unobservant like person 2, is generally the worst thing you can do. A lot of traps and set pieces will miss you or are fairly avoidable if you just dash in like an idiot at 100mph.

Also the hardest traps often don't reset between deaths so its a viable strategy

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

MisterBibs posted:

Reloading isn't really a Thing in Souls, it autosaves whenever pretty much anything happens, but death is something you come back from without reloading. So in the situation you described, what would happen is that you run in, die to the traps, come back without your souls/humanity, and know not to step on that pressure plate again. Then you can go in again, collect your souls/humanity, this time knowing what to avoid.

Eventually, your sense of what the game does grows to the point that you can see the traps before they're sprung, or you start recognizing the signs quickly enough that you can block/dodge them when you realize what's coming.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

You can, but the save points tend to be pretty far apart so it'd take a whole lot of time.

That image always irrationally annoyed me because one of my first experiences with the game was slowly, carefully walking along a bridge that was my only way forward at the time, only to have a giant loving dragon out of nowhere fly by from behind me and spit fire engulfing the entire bridge, instantly killing me. When I brought that up at some point, the response was, no poo poo, "there were scorch marks on the bridge, so obviously you could have seen that coming."

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Perestroika posted:

You can, but the save points tend to be pretty far apart so it'd take a whole lot of time.

That image always irrationally annoyed me because one of my first experiences with the game was slowly, carefully walking along a bridge that was my only way forward at the time, only to have a giant loving dragon out of nowhere fly by from behind me and spit fire engulfing the entire bridge, instantly killing me. When I brought that up at some point, the response was, no poo poo, "there were scorch marks on the bridge, so obviously you could have seen that coming."

Okay I don't mean to make you feel bad but it's very funny to me the idea you're taking it slow and looking for clues, a flap flap flap roar happens, and you look up to a dragon rearing back and getting ready to roast you, and you're like "wait, wait wait, let's see what he does here"

As long as you have a sense of humor about the deaths and realize any amount of souls you lose is going to be trivial in an hour, there's nothing wrong with dying in this game and no call to tell people to get good. Go get killed it's fun.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Okay I don't mean to make you feel bad but it's very funny to me the idea you're taking it slow and looking for clues, a flap flap flap roar happens, and you look up to a dragon rearing back and getting ready to roast you, and you're like "wait, wait wait, let's see what he does here"

As long as you have a sense of humor about the deaths and realize any amount of souls you lose is going to be trivial in an hour, there's nothing wrong with dying in this game and no call to tell people to get good. Go get killed it's fun.

I dunno, perhaps I had the sound to quiet or something, but literally the first sign of the dragon was the fire burning me to death. It was pretty close to the beginning, just after you meet Solaire. I stepped out from underneath the arch onto the bridge, took five steps, and whoosh fiery death.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Perestroika posted:

I dunno, perhaps I had the sound to quiet or something, but literally the first sign of the dragon was the fire burning me to death. It was pretty close to the beginning, just after you meet Solaire. I stepped out from underneath the arch onto the bridge, took five steps, and whoosh fiery death.

Oh I was remembering a similar thing in Demon's Souls where the dragons live in a nearby area, and you hear them flap around whenever they're coming to protect the bridge.

Yeah the dark souls one burns you real quick. And everything on the bridge is already smoking so it's just a cool gotcha where someone is going to chide you afterwards to look around for the burning bodies as if knowing fire is going to happen would also let you know the literal only way to survive it is to haul rear end and dive down the invisible from the start stairs to the right. Even knowing it happens, I get burned 2/3 times I make the dash for safety. I have crossed that bridge a thousand times and he burns me almost or all the way to death way too much for a game where learning the trick to something is supposed to make it trivial. Also waiting for him to jump down and run through his legs and get into the soliare statue area is too random and hard. He can decide to flip right around and burn you instead of burning the wrong direction first. I sympathize with you there.

It's just a gotcha. I'm pretty sure you hear a flap just before you're on fire but it's too late by that point. If you roll right you can maybe survive it if you started the run at full health. I don't know what else to say about that guy. He's a jerk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Perestroika posted:

You also see the dragon earlier in the stage, like in the first room or something. It's a pretty bullshit excuse though. That whole dragon section is kind of dumb since it guards a whole covenant and a shortcut to another part of the stage, then just vanishes once you progress an arbitrary way into the game.

Woolie Wool posted:

Everything I hear about how Dark Souls handles diffoculty makes it sound like single player Quake, which is more about learning monster patterns and paying attention rather than dancing a ballet like Doom.

Depends on how you play, a lot of people use heavy armor tank builds their first time so it goes by really slowly and carefully. I always grabbed the biggest sword I could find and put all my points into strength with the firm belief that something couldn't be dangerous if it was already dead.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Yeah the dark souls one burns you real quick. And everything on the bridge is already smoking so it's just a cool gotcha where someone is going to chide you afterwards to look around for the burning bodies as if knowing fire is going to happen would also let you know the literal only way to survive it is to haul rear end and dive down the invisible from the start stairs to the right.

That one's a particularly big dick move since normally in the series there isn't anything particularly dangerous between a boss and the next bonfire, but suddenly you get dragon in the face.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

You also see the dragon earlier in the stage, like in the first room or something. It's a pretty bullshit excuse though. That whole dragon section is kind of dumb since it guards a whole covenant and a shortcut to another part of the stage, then just vanishes once you progress an arbitrary way into the game.

Depends on how you play, a lot of people use heavy armor tank builds their first time so it goes by really slowly and carefully. I always grabbed the biggest sword I could find and put all my points into strength with the firm belief that something couldn't be dangerous if it was already dead.

From my experience in Dark Souls everything is weak to a greatsword to the dick. Or arrows. But mostly the greatsword to the dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MisterBibs posted:

You can totally play like this. I mean, death doesn't convey a serious penalty, so you can be killed by a trap one run, then simply remember that the trap is there and avoid it on your next attempt. The only thing you lose is a couple minutes of running.

The only actually challenging part of these games tend to be the bosses. Most of the environments are annoying at worst because few random enemies have the ability to kill a player that's paying attention, and there's lots of breathing room to heal between encounters. You can take on environments at your own pace and the checkpoints (bonfires) are accessible enough that attrition is rarely an issue. It's only bosses that provide lasting threats because they operate on their pace and timing, not yours.

This is true for Bloodborne too, except the cost of death is even lower, but the boss fights are much harder.