Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I don't think I've ever drafted once in mygm in all my years of playing 2k but then i play it weird and mainly as a challenge to make a worse to first team and win with role players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I end up drafting a ton since the first thing I always do is turn like Tyrus Thomas and Gerald Henderson into the top 18 picks in the draft

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

It's worth noting that (imo at least) the 2K games have a pretty steep learning curve, they're definitely frustrating with the lack of transparency and help at first.

OK, this is getting loving frustrating.

What am I actually supposed to press on defense? Like, absolute basics, what do I do? Because absolutely nothing I do is actually doing anything. I'm being slaughtered by 20+ points a game, even when I'm playing the stat-wise better team.

My offense is also hot garbage. The only points I can make are threes, because that's just timing. I try and rush, I get locked down. I try and pass, even to someone wide open, AI dives in and intercepts.

Meanwhile, when the AI gets possession, it is GUARANTEED to score. There feels like nothing I can do to stop it.

Like, I'm not looking for anything advanced, I'm just looking to maybe beat the AI set to rookie.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

OK, this is getting loving frustrating.

What am I actually supposed to press on defense? Like, absolute basics, what do I do? Because absolutely nothing I do is actually doing anything. I'm being slaughtered by 20+ points a game, even when I'm playing the stat-wise better team.

My offense is also hot garbage. The only points I can make are threes, because that's just timing. I try and rush, I get locked down. I try and pass, even to someone wide open, AI dives in and intercepts.

Meanwhile, when the AI gets possession, it is GUARANTEED to score. There feels like nothing I can do to stop it.

Like, I'm not looking for anything advanced, I'm just looking to maybe beat the AI set to rookie.

Are you playing MyCareer or playing the whole team.

With on-ball Defense, until you get good at the game, you just wanna stay in front of him, Don't press up on them but don't stand too far back. Essentially if they wanna take a contested jumper let them, but don't get so close they can just drive by you. Ignore all Dribble moves the opponent does and only move the stick if you see them going for a shot press towards them(don't jump). Once they pick a direction, follow that same direction cutting off the center of the lane while doing so pushing them towards the baseline(Unless you are on the baseline and they are moving away from it) mostly just always try and be between the hoop and the player even if you have to put a bit space between you and the Ball handler.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
also you can call for help / double with L1

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

- run pick & rolls (L1 + hold the button of the guy you want to set the pick)
- hold square + direction of the guy you want to cut without the ball, release button to pass
- similarly, hold circle to have someone get the ball from you

Just keep the ball moving and you'll get an open shot eventually. If you hold it a lot your other guys won't move much, if you keep it moving you'll notice more people doing cuts and stuff on their own.

If you have good wing / big passers go for quick outlets (like from inbounds to half-court) and rush it in transition, this should be pretty foolproof on rookie.

d-pad left has four standard quick plays (tell a shooter to get open, tell someone to cut, post someone up or call a quick iso for whoever's handling the ball). These probably won't be that useful to you right now but are worth checking out eventually.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The last thing I'd say about offense is don't be scared to drive at the hoop even if you don't have the best angle. With guys like LBJ you can still often smash through and dunk and a lot of times you'll draw extra defensive pressure which will leave a shooter open. I didn't drive at the hoop outside of transitions for the longest time but then I found it to be quite useful. Just remember to use LT at the right times to guard the ball or you'll turn it over. You can even use lt and release in another direction to spin out and create space or you can just hit a post fade or hook if your drive failed as well (providing your player has the stats)

As for defense thus far I've found messing with the settings extremely important thus far. Neutral defense is ok but putting limit perimeter shots on shooting heavy squads or protect the paint on guys nonstop driving will be huge in giving you an advantage. I also set play physical D on though thats not everyones cup of tea. Try setting shot contest to "always" in the settings as well. It will help you in the beginning.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basic defensive mantra is "prevent middle penetration." Stand back a bit, never stand close to a person because you want time to react when they begin their drive. When in doubt, angle yourself to prevent them going to the middle. It gives your bigs time to close in and block the shot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Make sure you are passing too. If you are trying to ISO with one guy on the perimeter all the time the AI will learn and shut you down.

Also, set it to the lowest difficulty for a while. No shame in that as you are learning the game. Once you can win by double digits reliably, set it up a level and get beaten down and raise back up.

I play most myLeague, I think it helps playing with one team. Some teams are definitely harder to play as. Cavaliers are pretty easy, so is OKC. Teams without good shooters like Memphis, Lakers or Miami are really hard for newer players.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

Make sure you are passing too. If you are trying to ISO with one guy on the perimeter all the time the AI will learn and shut you down.

Also, set it to the lowest difficulty for a while. No shame in that as you are learning the game. Once you can win by double digits reliably, set it up a level and get beaten down and raise back up.

I play most myLeague, I think it helps playing with one team. Some teams are definitely harder to play as. Cavaliers are pretty easy, so is OKC. Teams without good shooters like Memphis, Lakers or Miami are really hard for newer players.

I recommend the Hawks so you are not relying on overpowered stars to score but still have a lot of options

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
who are the best blacktop players, I'm tired of getting my rear end kicked by my roommate. of course 3-pt shooters are key since a 3 is worth much more in Blacktop than regulation mode, so I've been picking teams that look like:

00-01 Iverson
Curry
95-96 Jordan
Yao Ming

(we always play 4on4 in blacktop)

tell me some other good players

edit: 12-13 LeBron, Kawhi, 07-08 Paul Pierce are other guys I use often

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 25, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Is Peja an option?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Late on this but 2ks handling of the million followers on twitter lockercode debacle is one of the most poorly handled things I've ever seen from an entertainment company. It was honestly more insulting than just fully renegging on their two separate promises.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Seltzer posted:

Late on this but 2ks handling of the million followers on twitter lockercode debacle is one of the most poorly handled things I've ever seen from an entertainment company. It was honestly more insulting than just fully renegging on their two separate promises.

What happened?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Seltzer posted:

Source your quotes please.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

2k said that if they reached 1 million twitter followers they would give everyone a diamond player in a locker code. They then said "nah we meant only if we hit 1 million in 2014". Before they hit 1 million this year they release a tweet saying "for 1 million followers we will release a lockercode providing players a high chance at getting a diamond or amethyst". They release the code and everyone got player tattoos and like shoes to use online. They released straight trash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/4bpcm5/1million_locker_code_pulls_and_outrage_thread/

This sums it up basically.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Seltzer posted:

2k said that if they reached 1 million twitter followers they would give everyone a diamond player in a locker code. They then said "nah we meant only if we hit 1 million in 2014". Before they hit 1 million this year they release a tweet saying "for 1 million followers we will release a lockercode providing players a high chance at getting a diamond or amethyst". They release the code and everyone got player tattoos and like shoes to use online. They released straight trash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/4bpcm5/1million_locker_code_pulls_and_outrage_thread/

Yeah that sounds about right

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Yeah I got a shirt or something for my career guy.

Pretty neat.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Glum slinger tell me right now if 2k17 is going to have a Kobe my player mode like Jordan in 2k11

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If I can't drop 81 on Jalen Rose this game will have been a failure.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Metapod posted:

Glum slinger tell me right now if 2k17 is going to have a Kobe my player mode like Jordan in 2k11

You want to get me fired? :v:

Seriously, don't ask me for inside info. I won't give it out, and I try to avoid clarifying after things are announced unless I had direct involvement in it

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The Glumslinger posted:

You want to get me fired? :v:

Seriously, don't ask me for inside info. I won't give it out, and I try to avoid clarifying after things are announced unless I had direct involvement in it

Kobe legend mode confirmed

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
2K16 has been frustrating for me, I usually prefer going through MyCareer and trying to build up at least one of each position but after going through the ridiculous story once and building up a centre, I just wasn’t sure if I could do it again so I have mainly been playing MyTeam and League or otherwise just finding some other time sink game. It kinda sucks because I like playing on the Park but I really want to try some different positions.

So.. I tried again as a PG, at least I can skip through the story (although still have to be called Freq) but I forgot about the ridiculous rookie season. I cant win rookie of the year or Player of the Week/Month (Although it looks like some people might have been able to?). I cant build a chemistry with my drafted team. I cant play All Star Weekend. I cant play through the Playoffs and win with my team. I cant check my stats or others. Eight (or 9) games only?? gently caress this.

Also am I completely misremembering this or was it possible in earlier editions to have a big man who was fast or shot 3’s by drilling points into the one area? Because I can only seem to get to a max speed of about 70 but there are big guys in the 80’s. I mean if I want my player to be the best then how come I have limitations?

Can this thread be about 2K17 yet? I have preordered the “Legend Edition” here is hoping they make some changes.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Camping.. Intense! posted:

2K16 has been frustrating for me, I usually prefer going through MyCareer and trying to build up at least one of each position but after going through the ridiculous story once and building up a centre, I just wasn’t sure if I could do it again so I have mainly been playing MyTeam and League or otherwise just finding some other time sink game. It kinda sucks because I like playing on the Park but I really want to try some different positions.

So.. I tried again as a PG, at least I can skip through the story (although still have to be called Freq) but I forgot about the ridiculous rookie season. I cant win rookie of the year or Player of the Week/Month (Although it looks like some people might have been able to?). I cant build a chemistry with my drafted team. I cant play All Star Weekend. I cant play through the Playoffs and win with my team. I cant check my stats or others. Eight (or 9) games only?? gently caress this.

Also am I completely misremembering this or was it possible in earlier editions to have a big man who was fast or shot 3’s by drilling points into the one area? Because I can only seem to get to a max speed of about 70 but there are big guys in the 80’s. I mean if I want my player to be the best then how come I have limitations?

Can this thread be about 2K17 yet? I have preordered the “Legend Edition” here is hoping they make some changes.

Sure. I'll start! It comes out in five months. I hope they take all the bad things of 2K16 and make them good.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Also am I completely misremembering this or was it possible in earlier editions to have a big man who was fast or shot 3’s by drilling points into the one area? Because I can only seem to get to a max speed of about 70 but there are big guys in the 80’s.
The more you keep playing with a guy the higher you can go with your attributes.

jabro posted:

Sure. I'll start! It comes out in five months. I hope they take all the bad things of 2K16 and make them good.
Is there any way this won't be like the MJ / Lebron ones but with Kobe?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Illinois Smith posted:

The more you keep playing with a guy the higher you can go with your attributes.

Yeah but there's limits how high each attribute can get depending on your height and what 'type' of player you picked to be between Inside, Outside and Balanced:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JZnRGoPzEp00ZNHyTr5356fBumrGkOpTsyPug-5bvrg/edit?pli=1#gid=0

The 7'0 small forwards that can do anything and everything a 6'0 PG can do is no longer possible. But on the flipside, guys like Dirk and KD are almost impossible to recreate.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh, weird. I never play much MyPlayer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'll make a 2k17 thread when it gets closer to release, but for sure post anything about that you might find.

Away all Goats posted:

Guys like Dirk and KD are almost impossible to recreate.

That sorta checks out though?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
It's a video game though. If I can't dunk or dribble in real life let me make a dang generational superstar in the game.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Lockback posted:

That sorta checks out though?

I would rather 2K makes it really difficult or time consuming over being impossible. Also you can't make a center with a 75 free throw rating without giving them points in pull up 3 skill, I kind of like the attribute bucket system, but it definitely needs work.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
so for my second playthrough of myplayer, i cheated and maxed out my 7'3" center on everything but ball handling and when i sim games he shoots like 70% from the field including like 80% from 3 (on like 12 shots). when i play the game i just pnr or post up and dunk something like 15 times a game with a bunch of points from free throws or layups

i really do like how someone like kemba walker basically can do nothing if he switches onto me instead of previous iterations where it would default to a contested layup instead of an easy dunk when the six foot player is at the rim

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there an option or something to do about excessively long timeouts, 30 second shots of the bottom of the jumbotron and TV cut aways that make it so I cannot play basketball constantly every game.

Basically, my opinion is that if I am not playing basketball, I should be able to mash a button and it will skip all the stuff preventing me from playing basketball.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The thing I really miss in online versus is being able to taunt other people with instant replays of sick dunks or blocks.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Is there an option or something to do about excessively long timeouts, 30 second shots of the bottom of the jumbotron and TV cut aways that make it so I cannot play basketball constantly every game.

Basically, my opinion is that if I am not playing basketball, I should be able to mash a button and it will skip all the stuff preventing me from playing basketball.

YES I long for this option, when you are playing an 82 game season i would really like to max my game time. How many times now have i seen my team walk into the rooms at half time because i can only skip once they are about 10 seconds in..

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That's probably them loading. When it's done loading it allows you to skip.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Does anyone else have a problem in this game with coaches not subbing out injured players? Like Deron Williams just hyperextended his shoulder, out for a month, but I have to manually make sure he doesn't get put back in every timeout, and I can't find anything mentioning this from googling so I don't know if it's a known common glitch or what

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Just getting into this game and starting MyCareer. What difficulty do you all play on with this mode?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Dutchy posted:

Does anyone else have a problem in this game with coaches not subbing out injured players? Like Deron Williams just hyperextended his shoulder, out for a month, but I have to manually make sure he doesn't get put back in every timeout, and I can't find anything mentioning this from googling so I don't know if it's a known common glitch or what
Turn off autosubs. There are different injuries (ones that the player is really out for and ones he can play through with a chance of making it worse), the coach has obviously decided that Williams should tough it out.

Also turn off AI coach adjustments if you don't want the coach to constantly gently caress with your matchups.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really hope MyCareer isn't just a Spike Lee book of cliches next year

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Maybe Edward Norton will be in it to put us asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope the 2k team stop this trend of making the rookie year basically useless in Mycareer and actually let you start right away.

• Locked thread