Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
They've already said the air assets are staying in Syria, so yeah take this with a massive grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

They've already said the air assets are staying in Syria, so yeah take this with a massive grain of salt.

I think they've also claimed that the only land assets they had were guarding the air assets...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So here's what the Russian Foreign Ministry had to say about Bellingcat, finally in English

quote:

So-called evidence falsified by the British Bellingcat blogger team concerning Russian leaders’ alleged complicity in the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash

We are dismayed with the publication by the Netherlands media of assertions by UK organisation Bellingcat about the alleged complicity of Russian leaders in the July 2014 Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 disaster in the skies over Donbass. They are citing as evidence various blurred photos whose origin is absolutely unclear, recordings of certain telephone conversations and the social media accounts of unidentified persons. To be honest, there is nothing new in Bellingcat’s methods. They have always used similar sources of information with regard to Russia, and they have also prepared their own open falsifications and planted them.

I would like to remind the media outlets in the Netherlands and in other countries (perhaps they have forgotten) that, Der Spiegel magazine accused Bellingcat of lies six months back. At that time, the German publication which accepted a similar false story as authentic had to apologise to its readers. In early 2016, the newspaper Trau of the Netherlands also conducted an investigation and established that 15 Bellingcat bloggers were inventing all this nonsense as a source of additional income. As you understand, these bloggers have no information at all and no idea of the disaster’s real facts. They are inventing news at home and sending it to various media outlets. In turn, television and radio company RTL of the Netherlands also doubts the Bellingcat findings and has noted openly that the bloggers have a very biased view of events, that they are using unverified data, and that they are focusing too actively on Russian officials who might be involved. At the same time, they are not justified in overlooking the role of the Ukrainian side.

Various Western experts and analysts have also voiced their opinion of Bellingcat. For example, a British political analyst said that a senior Dutch government or secret services official had advised the heads of the Joint Investigation Team to use Bellingcat materials. Otherwise their report would fail to interest anyone, he noted.

One is amazed, most of all, that state agencies of a country claiming the right to conduct a serious investigation into this tragedy are using Bellingcat materials. The Joint Investigation Team is actually taking this so-called “lead” in line with this “recommendation”. To be honest, one is terrified as to where this investigation may lead.

It's worth noting that at best the claims about the news articles are gross misrepresentation of the contents of the articles, and no such article was ever published in Der Spiegel Magazine. Here's the RTL piece, and the only Trouw article where it refers to money and Bellingcat. Clearly nothing like the Russian's describe.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Such loving lying pieces of poo poo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You can tell they aren't even trying when they can't even come up with some "various Western analysts" by name.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder how many death threats you get day by day

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Friendly Humour posted:

Our big brown BM not only sticks his nose into Russia's business but also middle-east politics. A good mix of styles of death threats! Beheading or polonium?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Friendly Humour posted:

Not many, although I've probably muted several hundred people on Twitter who would send me that sort of thing. I prefer muting, then they've no idea I can't see what they're saying, and still get to see all the stuff I'm doing that irritates them enough to send me abuse.

For those of you interested I did a presentation at the Guardian today about open source and social media investigation, you can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5Al4-HK5g&t=1332s

As you'll be able to see, I've been getting carried away with Keynote.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 14, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hi EE thread. I don't like you, but I figured you might want to see some pictures of the refugee camp in Idomeni a friend of a friend did for Vice.

http://www.vice.com/rs/read/izdaja-covecanstva-u-izbeglickom-kampu-u-idomeniju-ocima-srpskog-fotoreportera

Aptly titled "Betrayal of Humanity"

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
EU's strategy of both denying entry for refugees and criticising Balkan countries for denying entry to refugees working really well there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

EU's strategy of both denying entry for refugees and criticising Balkan countries for denying entry to refugees working really well there.

Well, that's mostly a sidenote. EU's main strategy is to pay off Turkey for keeping them there, just as Erdogan is working on
dismantling the country's democratic institutions. That's not going to eventually backfire at all, no sir....

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

It's worth noting that at best the claims about the news articles are gross misrepresentation of the contents of the articles, and no such article was ever published in Der Spiegel Magazine.

Well, they sort of did publish such an article. They apologise for their previous reporting, because the "expert" they interviewed contradicts bellingcat. They leave the conclusion up to their readers, but it's all heavily skewed against you. The average reader of those articles would probably agree with that Russian statement.
Your reputation in Germany was seriously damaged by those articles. They are the convenient go-to rebuttals for anything bellingscat-related. "Look, even the Spiegel says they are quacks" :smuggo:

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/spiegelblog/bellingcat-bericht-zu-mh17-was-wir-lernen-a-1037135.html
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/mh17-satellitenbilder-bellingcat-betreibt-kaffeesatzleserei-a-1036874.html

Welsh Rarebitch fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 15, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Brown Moses posted:

Not many, although I've probably muted several hundred people on Twitter who would send me that sort of thing. I prefer muting, then they've no idea I can't see what they're saying, and still get to see all the stuff I'm doing that irritates them enough to send me abuse.

For those of you interested I did a presentation at the Guardian today about open source and social media investigation, you can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5Al4-HK5g&t=1332s

As you'll be able to see, I've been getting carried away with Keynote.

Your presentation skills keep improving- that was some really impressive stuff!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

rabatz posted:

Well, they sort of did publish such an article. They apologise for their previous reporting, because the "expert" they interviewed contradicts bellingcat. They leave the conclusion up to their readers, but it's all heavily skewed against you. The average reader of those articles would probably agree with that Russian statement.
Your reputation in Germany was seriously damaged by those articles. They are the convienient go-to rebuttals for anything bellingscat-related. "Look, even the Spiegel says they are quacks" :smuggo:

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/spiegelblog/bellingcat-bericht-zu-mh17-was-wir-lernen-a-1037135.html
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/mh17-satellitenbilder-bellingcat-betreibt-kaffeesatzleserei-a-1036874.html

That's Spiegel Online, the articles were never published in Der Spiegel Magazine.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

That's Spiegel Online, the articles were never published in Der Spiegel Magazine.

Did they even ask you for a comment before they published that thing?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

No, and when I asked the author to get them to comment on the new imagery we purchased he said they weren't satellite imagery experts, and seeing the whole point of our report was about combining the two to come to a conclusion using only one to criticise us seems a bit off.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bit unprofessional of them. I thought Spiegel was a high-quality publication, but that just seems like something a tabloid rag would do.

Honestly I don't even understand what the point of their criticism was. That expert of theirs says too that the images the MOD published were edited but somehow that doesn't prove anything because apparently pictures meant as proof of innocense are often edited for reasons like...?

lollontee fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 15, 2016

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Friendly Humour posted:

Honestly I don't even understand what the point of their criticism was.
If you read between the lines, Germany has basically been saying from the start:
'Please Mr Putin, don't turn the gas off! We need it to generate electricity for our motor industry!'

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If you want actually professional journalists try contacting Süddeutsche Zeitung. They're more reputable than Spiegel and if they took you seriously everybody else would basically have no choice either.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Friendly Humour posted:

Bit unprofessional of them. I thought Spiegel was a high-quality publication, but that just seems like something a tabloid rag would do.

Honestly I don't even understand what the point of their criticism was. That expert of theirs says too that the images the MOD published were edited but somehow that doesn't prove anything because apparently pictures meant as proof of innocense are often edited for reasons like...?

Basically is was that we didn't do ELA properly, our counter-argument is that it was done in the context of other issues we detected with the imagery. With recent updates to Google Earth historical imagery it seems even more certain nothing happened in one area we examined

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/704387095448653825

And there's other problems too

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/704029836973645824

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

Spiegel is a reasonably reputable journal, but Spiegel online isn't.

Here is the criticism from the expert:

- Both a manipulated and non manipulated image would have shown photoshop exif data, because photoshop is usually used to crop and compress pictures or add text annotations for publication. It's not an argument that the images were manipulated.

- Error level analysis is not a real forensic tool and more akin to a polygraph test, you can get any result you want. There is too much human interpretation involved.

- It's generally making too many assumptions, like assuming that a dark spot on a blurry image is an oil spot and that it therefore must grow with time.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

waitwhatno posted:

Spiegel is a reasonably reputable journal, but Spiegel online isn't.

Here is the criticism from the expert:

- Both a manipulated and non manipulated image would have shown photoshop exif data, because photoshop is usually used to crop and compress pictures or add text annotations for publication. It's not an argument that the images were manipulated.

- Error level analysis is not a real forensic tool and more akin to a polygraph test, you can get any result you want. There is too much human interpretation involved.

- It's generally making too many assumptions, like assuming that a dark spot on a blurry image is an oil spot and that it therefore must grow with time.

Digging into a single piece of evidence and ignoring the rest in order to discredit a theory is cool and good.

Anyway the spiegel online piece was like a year ago. Outside Russian propaganda, is that really the worst criticism of Moses' work?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Friendly Humour posted:

Digging into a single piece of evidence and ignoring the rest in order to discredit a theory is cool and good.

Anyway the spiegel online piece was like a year ago. Outside Russian propaganda, is that really the worst criticism of Moses' work?

I'm pretty sure it is, and we only used ELA in that one report, so if that's all they've got then that ain't much.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

I'm pretty sure it is, and we only used ELA in that one report, so if that's all they've got then that ain't much.

Well. Congratulations? I dunno, it just seems weird that nobody (who could be taken seriously) is criticizing your work is all.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

my dad posted:

Hi EE thread. I don't like you, but I figured you might want to see some pictures of the refugee camp in Idomeni a friend of a friend did for Vice.

http://www.vice.com/rs/read/izdaja-covecanstva-u-izbeglickom-kampu-u-idomeniju-ocima-srpskog-fotoreportera

Aptly titled "Betrayal of Humanity"

That one got to me. They're so damned brave, holy poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

If you want actually professional journalists try contacting Süddeutsche Zeitung. They're more reputable than Spiegel and if they took you seriously everybody else would basically have no choice either.

They already do, recently they did a nice article about him. They were even nice enough to call him a "former civil servant", because that sounds a lot better then "he was unemployed" in Germany.

I linked it sometime earlier in this thread, so if you check my posts you should stumble over it. (Or just search after "Bellingcat" on Sueddeutsche.de, I guess. :v:)

Edit:

Found it!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sadly, this isn't too surprising. I know the article in question; it basically ignores the contents of your report to make a nebulous statement about the method itself. What their expert said isn't necessarily wrong - in fact, it all makes perfect sense -, but in context with the Bellingcat article, it's clear it's a rather tired attack without actually trying to disprove anything. Instead of confronting your claims, they generally cast doubt on the method used and basically trail off on a question mark. It's loving cowardly.

Spiegel Online (I just call it Spoon) also has a history of posting Putin apologies, where the importance of not damaging the traditional ties to Russia are stressed, and it's clarified that Putin is really not "a stupid man" (thank you, SpOn!). One of the online-only columnists - who are generally garbage, but some are alright - actually has the tag line "Im Zweifel Links" (when in doubt, left) and occasionally gets up to shenanigans like this... Make sense of that if you will. It goes without saying that the comments are generally a cesspit as well, but as we know, that's really nothing to hold against an online publication.

Now that I mention that, that's something I always found weird... Whenever someone starts talking about the events in Ukraine, and I start calling Russia's behaviour into question, there's one thing almost everyone who doubts the Bellingcat version says: "Putin is not a stupid man." It's always about Putin, and they want to stress that he's a smart dude. Like... why the hell does everyone assume that's called into question? :psyduck:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Thing is, I was unemployed for a total of 2 months in a 10 year period, then I started working on the Brown Moses Blog full time after I did my Indiegogo fundraiser. The situation was is I finished a part time admin contract, then decided to do the Indiegogo straight after that, which took a month, during which period I was living off savings while I waited for the Indiegogo to finish. The whole unemployed thing is just something a journalist wrote because it sounded like a better story, then loads of other journalists repeated until it became a thing.

Torquemadras posted:

Now that I mention that, that's something I always found weird... Whenever someone starts talking about the events in Ukraine, and I start calling Russia's behaviour into question, there's one thing almost everyone who doubts the Bellingcat version says: "Putin is not a stupid man." It's always about Putin, and they want to stress that he's a smart dude. Like... why the hell does everyone assume that's called into question? :psyduck:

Thing is, Putin can be as smart as anyone wants, but if his army is Instagramming their entire lives and civilians are posting photos of every military movement they see there's gently caress all he can do. That's why open source and social media investigation is so powerful in an era where everyone has a powerful, networked, computer/camera in their pocket.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 15, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

Thing is, I was unemployed for a total of 2 months in a 10 year period, then I started working on the Brown Moses Blog full time after I did my Indiegogo fundraiser. The situation was is I finished a part time admin contract, then decided to do the Indiegogo straight after that, which took a month, during which period I was living off savings while I waited for the Indiegogo to finish. The whole unemployed thing is just something a journalist wrote because it sounded like a better story, then loads of other journalists repeated until it became a thing.

If I may ask, how do you get money from bellingcat actually? I don't see any ads or anything.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Sadly, this isn't too surprising. I know the article in question; it basically ignores the contents of your report to make a nebulous statement about the method itself. What their expert said isn't necessarily wrong - in fact, it all makes perfect sense -, but in context with the Bellingcat article, it's clear it's a rather tired attack without actually trying to disprove anything. Instead of confronting your claims, they generally cast doubt on the method used and basically trail off on a question mark. It's loving cowardly.

Well ... yeah. If the method used to do a measurement is flawed, then so is the measurement result. What are you saying exactly?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The expert was right but he's not a journalist - he can only give an opinion about the material that he's given by a journalist and that limited choice can be manipulated for the purpose of the article.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Friendly Humour posted:

If I may ask, how do you get money from bellingcat actually? I don't see any ads or anything.

payments from the CIA FRIENDLY, POLITICALLY NEUTRAL, GRANDMOTHERS DONATING TO THE WEBSITE mainly

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 15, 2016

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

waitwhatno posted:

Well ... yeah. If the method used to do a measurement is flawed, then so is the measurement result. What are you saying exactly?

Palpek posted:

The expert was right but he's not a journalist - he can only give an opinion about the material that he's given by a journalist and that limited choice can be manipulated for the purpose of the article.

Basically this, yeah. Looking at the method in isolation shows that it's not 100% safe, and the expert is correct to say that. However, that alone shouldn't be used to call the entire report "Kaffeesatzleserei" when it's only part of it, ignoring previous reports as well. It really feels cowardly to me - or, if you're feeling more generous towards SpOn, somewhat negligent.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

payments from the CIA FRIENDLY, POLITICALLY NEUTRAL, GRANDMOTHERS DONATING TO THE WEBSITE mainly

lol

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Probably payments for giving talks, consulting and teaching.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess Google pays pretty well :shobon:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Friendly Humour posted:

Sorry, thought I replied to this, Bellingcat is funded for the next year by a grant from Google, that funds me, Aric, and all the costs of running the site. We're also applying for other funding, mainly for specific projects.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Probably payments for giving talks, consulting and teaching.

I used to use that to keep things going, but I keep all that stuff separate from Bellingcat now I'm applying for grant, and run Bellingcat as a non-profit. It makes things simpler when applying for grants.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

That one got to me. They're so damned brave, holy poo poo.

:ohdear: I just want to hug them and tell them the world isn't as cruel as people make it seem to them

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brown Moses posted:

Sorry, thought I replied to this, Bellingcat is funded for the next year by a grant from Google, that funds me, Aric, and all the costs of running the site. We're also applying for other funding, mainly for specific projects.

That's awfully nice of them. Did you ask for the grant or did they come to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

:ohdear: I just want to hug them and tell them the world isn't as cruel as people make it seem to them

It is though.