Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Plus that red card was justified and is a text book example of a tip tackle. If that had been done by any one but a Welsh player you would of been fine with the card.

I got slaughtered at the time by my mates for saying Warburtons red was justified.

Wouldn't even be in question nowadays, shows how much has changed.

He picked him up and put him down on his head. Off you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
You can find as many people who think it's a straight red as who think it's a yellow or a warning and a talking to.
That there is the very definition of questionable,there have been far worse tip tackles in this 6 nations that the refs haven't even blown for. That decision affected the overall result of the semi final of the World Cup.

But I suppose if England loose their captain in the first 5 mins against France and go onto loose the game all the England fans will be queuing up to say it was the right decision.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Sam Warburton posted:

The IRB said if you lift up a player and drop him it's a red card, and that's exactly what I did

"I can't complain. There was no point in appealing against it and I didn't have a leg to stand on really.

If Hartley nailed a French player with a tip tackle that that the red would be fully justified.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If Hartley nailed a French player with a tip tackle that that the red would be fully justified.

If Hartley did that we'd laugh at him and call him a oval office.*

*Not to his face, obviously.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
And you could find a few tackles every match in this 6 nations that were close to or as bad as that tackle that didn't get a peep.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

tarbrush posted:

If Hartley did that we'd laugh at him and call him a oval office.*

*Not to his face, obviously.

I have a feeling Hartley uses the word oval office with the same abandon normal people use the word Hey or That. He probably wouldn't mind.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have old friends who I've been calling cunts for about 15 years. But I was raised in Essex.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Unimpressed posted:

I have a feeling Hartley uses the word oval office with the same abandon normal people use the word Hey or That. He probably wouldn't mind.

I didn't know he was Scottish.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Isn't it only Americans who get upset over oval office? A friend of mine had a conversation with a former prime minister of NZ who was lamenting about his inability to call someone a "good oval office" without shocked faces everywhere in the US.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Warburton was unlucky in that the irb had told referees to be particularly strict on tip tackles before the world cup. As with any other time the irb decide to strictly enforce one rule, the refs get more lenient after a while, like what we've seen with clearouts around the neck since the last world cup. You can also see that phenomenon in the treatment of contact in the air after Jared Payne's red card in the 2014 Heineken Cup

I don't know what the deal is with citing commissions. The same act could get you nothing at international level, a yellow in the Pro 12 and a ban in the Champions Cup.

tag youre fat fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 15, 2016

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Swan Curry posted:

Warburton was unlucky in that the irb had told referees to be particularly strict on tip tackles before the world cup. As with any other time the irb decide to strictly enforce one rule, the refs get more lenient after a while, like what we've seen with clearouts around the neck since the last world cup. You can also see that phenomenon in the treatment of contact in the air after Jared Payne's red card in the 2014 Heineken Cup

I don't know what the deal is with citing commissions. The same act could get you nothing at international level, a yellow in the Pro 12 and a ban in the Champions Cup.

I agree that the Warburton red card was correct, but there were plenty of tip tackles in that world cup which were worse than Warburton's which got a yellow or less.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Isn't it only Americans who get upset over oval office? A friend of mine had a conversation with a former prime minister of NZ who was lamenting about his inability to call someone a "good oval office" without shocked faces everywhere in the US.

In America it's used exclusively as a misogynist term. In England it's a synonym for wanker. In scotland it's used as a comma.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Also the all blacks would of beat Wales with or without Warburton

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

bigfoot again posted:

Also the all blacks would of beat Wales with or without Warburton

Pure conjecture.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

hitchensgoespop posted:

Pure conjecture.

Wales suck poo poo against us. That's a statistical fact, not an opinion.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Wales suck poo poo against us. That's a statistical fact, not an opinion.

Yes, but their performances in that world cup were possibly the high point of the Gatland era, their record against SH sides, like most sport, is as much down to mental fragility as it is representative of their performance as a team.

Its still conjecture.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
nz nearly lost to a france team being sabotaged by their own coach and would have if joubert hadn't let the pressure of having a fairytale ending get to him, to say they would have definitely beaten wales is ridiculous

Seru Rabeni died this morning :(

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

37 years old? loving hell :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Swan Curry posted:

nz nearly lost to a france team being sabotaged by their own coach and would have if joubert hadn't let the pressure of having a fairytale ending get to him, to say they would have definitely beaten wales is ridiculous
But it was a Welsh team that would've been without their captain, as he most certainly would've been sidelined for the final, and with Priestland starting at 10. Also, Wales haven't beaten the All Blacks in over 60 years, they weren't in any danger of beating them in 2011.

Swan Curry posted:

Seru Rabeni died this morning :(
Yeah, saw that last night when it was just breaking. Heart attack, apparently.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 15, 2016

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Warren Gatland is remaining firmly on message :stare:

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I too value the opinions of white middle aged men on issues of racism, sexism and discrimination. The most oppressed.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I particularly like the gently caress ups in the comments saying it's just banter and rugby players are tough so this shouldn't bother them. These are the same sort of shitlords that think people yelling homophobic slurs at Nigel Owens is just "top bantz".

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
If hed called a black player a monkey (or something worse) he would have been banned already by now.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

These are the same sort of shitlords that think people yelling homophobic slurs at Nigel Owens is just "top bantz".

The England fans who shouted racist slurs at Nigel Owens received a lifetime ban from Twickenham, so I think we're all in this together, when we ask for consistency :neckbeard:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
What the hell kind of racist slur do you use to call someone Welsh?

It can't be "sheepfucker" because that could apply to New Zealanders too.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
And Marler's not getting anything for smashing Evans. Might it be easier for the Six Nations to just publish a list of things which will end up with England players getting punished?

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Hit a player in the face with your elbow/forearm, don't get a ban. Seriously, what do they have to do to get a ban these days?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

stavros880 posted:

Hit a player in the face with your elbow/forearm, don't get a ban. Seriously, what do they have to do to get a ban these days?

Be someone who is Not English

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

DickEmery posted:

Be someone who is Not English

Explains why they are so confused whenever Hartley does something wrong.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/Scott_Arthur/status/710161115481841665

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
And now he's getting no punishment for being racist. What an absolute loving oval office.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

They said they didn't condone racism but they clearly do, its ridiculous

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
They don't condone racism, except against gypsies.

Absolute bell-ends.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

If he'd shouted "black boy" at Itoje, he'd be punted for a year at least. loving nonsense and the citing commission is a joke.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
It's connected to the whole thing in Europe where racism v gypsies is the Last Socially Acceptable Racism. I've been at meetings with City organizations where people have complained about being "gypped" out of stuff, or complained of gypsies nicking stuff.

This was such a good opportunity to show how it's unacceptable and they've hosed it up.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The number of arseholes saying "They're not a race, they're a culture" is infuriating and just perpetuates this racist bollocks. It's like a two minute read on wikipedia is literally too hard for them.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I think it's ok because...

a) top bantz

b) he said sorry at half time

It's not like he did something bad like repeatedly kick a man in the face or anything. That would certainly result in a......hang on....

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Christ.

I've given Ireland players stick in the past for having absurdly short bans, but at least they're actually enforced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

fallingdownjoe posted:

And now he's getting no punishment for being racist. What an absolute loving oval office.

He's done it - In one single game, he's de-throned Ronan O'Gara as the biggest oval office in Rugby.