Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I like to believe that at some point, possibly in the ARG, Howard transformed Megan into one of the pigs. Is there a subreddit that can help me with this?

Similarly, with her new costume, Michelle becomes a duck. Honeypot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

It can't be both the more interesting way to go and the way that's so rote and obvious that it always happens.

Sure it can, the fact that she's doing it because of her previous regrets is what makes it interesting. It's always a trap, this is certain. The fact that she's making a terrible decision because her regrets are so strong makes it interesting. Right choice, wrong time.

Jenny Angel posted:

Of course not, you big goof. This is like the very basic concept of subtext and theme and also direct text if that's more your jam - if our protagonist is explicitly a survivor of child abuse and she spends the whole movie reckoning with, and attempting to get out from under the thumb of, an abuser, then the ending she meets will probably have something to say about being an abuse survivor

The aliens don't care if she's a abuse survivor or not. With no more bottles to ignite and chuck at their little ships, much less the Big Honking One (to say nothing about the red rover things), she's dead.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

It's always a trap, this is certain.

This is a really weird thing to keep saying when there's obvious counterexamples.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

MisterBibs posted:

The aliens don't care if she's a abuse survivor or not.

Dang, that's rough. It's a good thing they didn't write and direct the film 10 Cloverfield Lane, then

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Fat Pony posted:

A theory floating around the subreddit is that there was no Brittany, and Howard was essentially telling the truth the entire time. Emmet lied about it being a different girl because he was the one who trapped Meagan in the air filtration room and eventually killed her.

Support for this theory so far:
- Meagan's disappearance is a much simpler explanation than Howard kidnapping a girl, showing off the kidnapped girl's picture when someone else in the bunker could recognize her, calling her his daughter, and then happening to kidnap another girl at the very same time that aliens invade
- Emmett had inappropriate interest in Meagan (which is why Howard was so sensitive about NO TOUCHING)
- Howard's line, "I know what a traitor looks like" because he thinks that his wife kidnapped his daughter and fled to either DC or Chicago
- The pictures of Meagan were a school portrait (how would he have gotten ahold of another girl's school pictures?) and in the bunker itself (not locked away in the air filtration room)
- Emmett and Howard's clear animosity (was it really Emmett "knocking over a rack of food" in the very beginning, when Michelle is trapped in her room? Sounded like a fight to me.)
- Emmett would know all about the bunker, including that he could lock Meagan away in there without people looking for her
- Something is blocking the door to the air vent. Howard can't get it open and doesn't know why it's blocked
- Emmett didn't take his bus to college and kept himself "in a 40 mile radius"
- Emmett volunteers to go into the air shaft right away, even though his arm is broken
- Howard's line of, "I accept your apology" right before blowing Emmett's brains out refers to Emmett's inappropriate advances to Meagan more than to trying to get his gun

Overall, taking Howard as being truthful and Emmett as lying makes for a way more streamlined narrative.

Other people have already pointed out that this is not streamlining, but it really doesn't even make sense. How is Emmett staying close to where he ostensibly murdered someone proof that he did it? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to take the free ride that will get him away from it, and thus further from chances of being caught? And how would Emmett have gotten into the bunker to keep Meagan/Brittany there? He's not going to have copies of the keys. And, besides all that, how does any of this reconcile with the fact that there is a picture of Howard, with a different girl, in his book, and that he doesn't show that one to Michelle? If he isn't in the position of having mentally replaced Meagan with Brittany, what reason does he have to do that? The whole theory makes way less sense than just taking what the film presents at face value.

Really, this and Bibs's reading seem to fall into this weird void of 'things are more interesting/mature/deep if everything is poo poo and lies, and subverts your expectations' that seems to motivate a lot of bullshit fan theory readings.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People are getting dumb because the movie is about how to act on incomplete information without being an idiot or being paralyzed by indecision.

So, naturally, nerds spin insane conspiracy theories and get all scared because "what if Michelle is a reverse vampire and she can't survive in daylight??? We can't risk the possibility that she might get loose and eat everyone!"

The very basic point of the movie is that doesn't matter if Howard's conspiracy theory is accurate or not, because he is still pathologically obsessed with maintaining order. Likewise, it doesn't matter if Houston is safe or not. Michelle has made a decision to mod as much damage as she can.

"Recall, again, Lacan's outrageous statements that, even if what a jealous husband claims about his wife (that she sleeps around with other men) is all true, his jealousy is still pathological. Along the same lines, one could say that, even if most of the Nazi claims about the Jews were true (they exploit Germans, they seduce German girls), their anti-Semitism would still be (and was) pathological - because it represses the true reason the Nazis needed anti-Semitism in order to sustain their ideological position. So, in the case of anti-Semitism, knowledge about what the Jews "really are" is a fake, irrelevant, while the only knowledge at the place of truth is the knowledge about why a Nazi needs a figure of the Jew to sustain his ideological edifice. In this precise sense, the analyst's discourse produces the master signifier, the swerve of the patient's knowledge, the surplus element that situates the patient's knowledge at the level of truth: after the master signifier is produced, even if nothing changes at the level of knowledge, the same knowledge as before starts to function in a different mode."

-Zizek, "Jacques Lacan's Four Discourses"

I love you, SMG, especially when your Zizek/Lacan citations are things I actually know and understand.

e:

Jenny Angel posted:

Dang, that's rough. It's a good thing they didn't write and direct the film 10 Cloverfield Lane, then

This is my favorite post in this thread so far.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jenny Angel posted:

But don't you see? It's so much better for a character to go through all these personal changes and then just die at the end. Just like real life! That makes it so much deeper, you see!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey, here's what the director says:

“That ending was everything,” Trachtenberg said. “The idea of her choosing to go into certain danger is, I think, one of the coolest endings for a movie. Having that sense of character, what she’s like in the beginning and then seeing that decision in the end. It isn’t going into the sunset and everything is going to be okay. In fact, things are going to be potentially worse, but she’s ready to face it. That is the theme of the movie for me.”

“It always would tickle the back of my brain, ‘Oh my god it would be so cool if this really was an origin story,’” he said. “But at the same time it’s cool that even if this were the only movie, how cool is it that the only movie is a badass little origin story? It makes it even more emotional at the end.”

Which is what everyone but MisterBibs is saying.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Codependent Poster posted:

Which is what everyone but MisterBibs is saying.

Um...

Codependent Poster posted:

It isn’t going into the sunset and everything is going to be okay. In fact, things are going to be potentially worse

He's saying precisely what I'm saying, if being less cynical.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, no. She's going into a war zone. It's not going to be okay.

But it ain't no trap.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The idea that the aliens are using reverse psychology is pretty funny.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

Um...

He's saying precisely what I'm saying, if being less cynical.
How do you reconcile Trachtenberg calling it an origin story with your assertion that he's equating "potentially worse" with "assuredly doomed"? Is it the origin story of a ghost?

She's picking a fight with the aliens, and that's potentially worse than heading for the recaptured seaboard, in the same way that choosing the surface is more dangerous than cowering underground with john goodman.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 14, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Well, no. She's going into a war zone. It's not going to be okay.

But it ain't no trap.

You have a very odd definition of "not a trap". A 'war zone' that happens to be overseen by a big fuckoff enemy ship that is just sitting there unopposed is a trap.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Saw the movie today and just caught up on the thread.

MisterBibs you are wrong.

That is all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

You have a very odd definition of "not a trap". A 'war zone' that happens to be overseen by a big fuckoff enemy ship that is just sitting there unopposed is a trap.

You're not even describing a trap.

If I said "Hey, if you go over there, you will be swarmed by killer bees." and you go there, that is not a trap.

If I said "Hey, there's candy over there" when there's actually killer bees, that is a trap.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is one of those threads that will get referenced years from now whenever this movie comes up in some other thread around here and people will be like "remember when this movie first came out and there was that one poster that kept stubbornly insisting that the radio message was a deliberate trap set up by the aliens and that anyone who disagreed was some kind of movie logic philistine?"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People are getting dumb ...
So, naturally, nerds ...

It's just one guy for the most part. No need to invent entire strawmen classes of people.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

You're not even describing a trap.

If I said "Hey, if you go over there, you will be swarmed by killer bees." and you go there, that is not a trap.

If I said "Hey, there's candy over there" when there's actually killer bees, that is a trap.

It's a trap if you told me there's a swarm of bees, but it's actually a bunch of rabid bears. The first makes me think I'm a lot safer than I am.

vvv random choice? The Mothership represents a massive uptick in the poo poo MEW Has To Deal With list. It's not some tiny thing you can avoid on foot, it's not some midrange thing you might be able to destroy, it's Death In The Air.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 14, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

It's a trap if you told me there's a swarm of bees, but it's actually a bunch of rabid bears. The first makes me think I'm a lot safer than I am.

Why the gently caress did you just add bears to the situation?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Literally everyone in the thread: "She is going into certain danger."

Camp A: "She is going into certain danger and knows it, so it's not a trap."

Camp B: "She is going into certain danger and doesn't know it, so it's a trap."

Bibs: "See? The director said she's going into certain danger, so he agrees with me."

quote:

They don't mention Baton Rouge as a safe zone. They mention Houston being where they've fought off the aliens and taken back the area, when the ship in the clouds on top of it makes it clear that they've done no such thing.
Can we get a clarification on this? Are you still taking the position that they don't mention Baton Rouge being a safe zone?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs, having perhaps some realization that he's wrong, is slowly shifting the goalposts by suggesting that nobody needs to have actually lied for it to be a trap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will also point out that it is MIsterBibs.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

anyone else think it got super dark way drat fast once the air filtration unit thing exploded and the ship "saw" her at first?

also plenty of reason to believe Howard's dishonesty when he says he didn't have time to get any of the booze out of her car but has the bottle sitting in his truck when she is in the truck getting lifted by the ship

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Really great how this thread focuses so much on the last 15 mins of the movie lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

MisterBibs, having perhaps some realization that he's wrong, is slowly shifting the goalposts by suggesting that nobody needs to have actually lied for it to be a trap.

No, it's a trap. The only way for it not to be is the digital removal of the Mothership flying directly where she's going, or what she thinks she's going to do when she gets anywhere near it. There is no alternative response to an Alien Mothership than MEW Is hosed.

AAB posted:

Really great how this thread focuses so much on the last 15 mins of the movie lol

That's because the entire rest of the film is built on the last 15 minutes. Despite what the title may tell you, Man is not the Real Monster. Whatever is outside is the monster, and we're there to see what it ultimately is.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 14, 2016

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Many people in this thread are assuming facts not in evidence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

No, it's a trap. The only way for it not to be is the digital removal of the Mothership flying directly where she's going, or what she thinks she's going to do when she gets anywhere near it. There is no alternative response to an Alien Mothership than MEW Is hosed.

That's because the entire rest of the film is built on the last 15 minutes. Despite what the title may tell you, Man is not the Real Monster. Whatever is outside is the monster, and we're there to see what it ultimately is.

Monsters come in many forms.

One of those forms is a man.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

and hosed up pigs
and a hosed up lady
and a radio
and the armadillo monster
and a small gas ship
and a bigger city sized ship
and another radio?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

You're simply describing something dangerous that is going to be in her way.

Your proposal that Houston is a trap is all about the radio message apparently being a bogus orchestration on the aliens' part. Your explanation for this was "movie logic 101" (using examples that did not actually follow through with your claim) and then tried to push the burden of proof on others to prove your assertion wrong, which is like challenging someone to disprove the existence of god. Yeah, no.

Believe what you like, but if you're going to get sassy about it you're gonna need to back your poo poo up.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Great example of my point. You're no longer willing to call it a honeypot, to suggest that the aliens set up the radio broadcast, and are instead trying to redefine "trap" to mean "dangerous place."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I feel like if SMG is calling your theory stupid and saying you're reading way too deep, you should probably stop and take a long hard look at your posting.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

AAB posted:

anyone else think it got super dark way drat fast once the air filtration unit thing exploded and the ship "saw" her at first?

also plenty of reason to believe Howard's dishonesty when he says he didn't have time to get any of the booze out of her car but has the bottle sitting in his truck when she is in the truck getting lifted by the ship

It had seemed to be getting closer to dusk the entire time, but yeah, things got way dark kinda fast, presumably to set up the whole 'lights from the house' bit.

Also, that second thing was one of my favorite parts. Of course the lying bastard lied about getting the booze.

1stGear posted:

I feel like if SMG is calling your theory stupid and saying you're reading way too deep, you should probably stop and take a long hard look at your posting.

Not even that he's reading too deep, but that he's reading things that aren't even there at all.

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RuB3gT8t0

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
This movie was quite enjoyable. I am glad that there wasn't a doofy, hideous kaiju from an eight year old film and I'm glad the main character had a well written ending that most certainly did not involve a ruse or trap.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RandallODim posted:

This is my favorite post in this thread so far.

CelticPredator posted:

But don't you see? It's so much better for a character to go through all these personal changes and then just die at the end. Just like real life! That makes it so much deeper, you see!
This is mine.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Great example of my point. You're no longer willing to call it a honeypot, to suggest that the aliens set up the radio broadcast, and are instead trying to redefine "trap" to mean "dangerous place."

It's still a honeypot by the aliens, though. I don't care if they are claiming a survivable combat situation or punch and pie, the Mothership flying unopposed where she's heading makes any alternative reading madness.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MisterBibs I suggest you learn the definitions of the words you are using before continuing this argument.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are we being supertrolled here? Oh my god...how did I let this happen to me???

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

It's still a honeypot by the aliens, though. I don't care if they are claiming a survivable combat situation or punch and pie, the Mothership flying unopposed where she's heading makes any alternative reading madness.
So you concede that this:

MisterBibs posted:

There's a message being broadcast saying "hey all humans, come to this awesome place, there are no aliens here, but plenty of punch and cake", in which the Awesome Place has a giant spaceship within eyeball distance of it. Goodman was right, they are in a phase of flushing out humans.
and this:

MisterBibs posted:

They don't mention Baton Rouge as a safe zone. They mention Houston being where they've fought off the aliens and taken back the area, when the ship in the clouds on top of it makes it clear that they've done no such thing.
were incorrect?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

So you concede that this:

and this:

were incorrect?

Yes, I got the specifics of what the message was wrong. Doesn't stop an obvious alien-derived honeypot from being an alien-derived honeypot. We can debate the specifics till we're blue in the face, but there's no situation where she's running off to anything but a trap.

What's the difference between the endings to The Mist (story) and The Mist (movie)? Nothing, the story just ends earlier. There's no way that MEW is running into anything but a trap the minute the Mothership shows up.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 15, 2016

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So, given that you've conceded that she is intentionally entering a dangerous situation, how does the director's statement support your theory?

Is she really "ready to face" the danger if it's a trap?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

So, given that you've conceded that she is intentionally entering a dangerous situation, how does the director's statement support your theory?

The aliens don't care if she thinks she's ready for danger. It's a wonderful little origin story of a person who is dead as a doornail.

Martman posted:

Is she really "ready to face" the danger if it's a trap?

She thinks she is. She's totally not, as evidenced by the Big Giant Unopposed Mothership flying around, and the victim of an alien honeypot.

e: I'm not sure where to put spoiler blocks anymore. People are referencing stuff that I figure should be spoilers without 'em.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

MisterBibs posted:

The aliens don't care if she thinks she's ready for danger. It's a wonderful little origin story of a person who is dead as a doornail.

She thinks she is. She's totally not, as evidenced by the Big Giant Unopposed Mothership flying around, and the victim of an alien honeypot.

I feel like these spoilers are in the wrong place.

• Locked thread