Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
"Next patient?"

*snickers* "I guess that would be me, doctor. I have a huge pain in my rear end." Monarch got more into the spirit of things this time than he did with Dr. Dugong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Sometimes a sensitive kid petting a cat is a sensitive kid petting a cat.

Well, I mean, you see a cat, you pet it. That's just how it works. But this is Venture Brothers. This poo poo always means they're setting up for something later.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

he will awaken as a furry superhero

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

"Next patient?"

*snickers* "I guess that would be me, doctor. I have a huge pain in my rear end." Monarch got more into the spirit of things this time than he did with Dr. Dugong.

Well, to be fair, Dr. Hemorrhoid didn't send a shambling Mr. Roboto after him while hollering at him through a PA system reinforced with an hallway full of "IGNORE ME!"-grade loudspeakers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dean could have been playing Witcher 3 and found out hot sorceresses sometimes turn into cats and hang out.

Anyways, probably one of the best of the season, but not one you can go in blind, you need to know the show pretty well to appreciate it fully. But yea, I figured Goodfella's from the start, but as it wore on it clearly became more of a generic noir style story.

Dr Z telling the story about how he did EVERYTHING and he means EVERYTHING with Blue Morpho was pretty drat hilarious. "It was the 1970s!". And I like how he knew the deal with Blue Morpho, that he was Jonas's black ops guy, the one you called in when things needed to be violent. Probably a good chance Blue Morpho and Jonas were the closest of friends, even more than The Action Man or Col Gentlemen.

There was some clues laid in for figuring out the mystery of the Blue Morpho. The Guild had a bounty on Blue Morpho that was collected. They need to find out who that was, and that will lead them to the Monarch.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

The Blue Morpho was actually a Vendata/Venturion robot the whole time. He has Jonas' personality but without the public image he's more brutal.

When the plane crashes it resets Blue Morpho, he turns himself in to the Guild to and becomes Vendata.

Crazier things have happened

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

new theory: Jonas is the monarchs father and Blue Morpho is his mother.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dr. Z's Blue Morpho could've easily been the Sovereign. Perhaps the Sovereign destroyed the records because he took the bounty for himself. I was going to suggest maybe he let BM collect the bounty on himself as a severance plan for leaving the world of villains and arching, but he doesn't really seem like that nice of a guy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Please don't abbreviate his name like that!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I knew Gary Fisher sounded familiar. Mountain bike inventor.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tarlibone posted:

I was hoping for someone to do that.

It's like we're dealing with a sentient poop!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Potsticker posted:

Dr. Z's Blue Morpho could've easily been the Sovereign. Perhaps the Sovereign destroyed the records because he took the bounty for himself. I was going to suggest maybe he let BM collect the bounty on himself as a severance plan for leaving the world of villains and arching, but he doesn't really seem like that nice of a guy.

Blue Morpho took off the Billie Jean King mask. The Sovereign def. wouldn't need to do that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Blue Morpho took off the Billie Jean King mask. The Sovereign def. wouldn't need to do that.

He would if he was pretending to be someone else! If Z saw him change, the jig would be up.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Kesper North posted:

Well, I mean, you see a cat, you pet it. That's just how it works. But this is Venture Brothers. This poo poo always means they're setting up for something later.

So how long until they do something with Rocket Impossible?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I used to enjoy reading mantis eye project! after the show because they would condense cultural/pop references in the show, but sometime in the last 12 years the dude got a job or life, or something. Anyone know of something similar?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

drrockso20 posted:

It's more that he pretty much stopped bothering keeping up with new technology after sometime in the 80s or 90s, and it's been biting him in the rear end to varying degrees for almost the entire series

It's funny that technology has passed him up even since the series has been out. When I watched the first season or two in the early 2000s, the Venture family's communicator watch was still pretty high-tech -- you could have a video call right on your wrist! And then, in the ten years since, smartphone technology has gotten so much more efficient and compact that, yeah, of course you'd be able to Facetime someone from a tiny device -- my iPhone 5c is not even top-of-the-line, and it has a bigger screen and probably more powerful internals than the communicator watch. (Can the Apple or Android watches do video calls, yet?) It's to the point where the watch is starting to look like clunky old 70s tech, with its boxyness, thick leather band, and the huge bezel that's wasting so much potential screen space.

I actually went through the same thing when the last Fallout game came out and actually included a full-size PipBoy (which is similar to the Venture communicator) with the collector's edition... and it was just a hollow shell that you strap to your wrist and put your smartphone inside. It seemed so high-tech when I was playing the first games. Hell, even when I was playing Fallout 3.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Was the song in the end credits something Doc wrote for the credits? I can't find anything about it online.

Edit: I wound up soundhounding it. For some reason the lyrics aren't online which was why searching for them wasn't turning up any hits.

The song is Ding Ding by Ray Gelato.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 15, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

tarlibone posted:

I sorta got this joke, but I don't actually know what BM means in poo related terms.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Bull manure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Megaspel posted:

I sorta got this joke, but I don't actually know what BM means in poo related terms.

Bowel movement.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch was deffo doing a Taxi Driver there too. I hate that none of my friends "get" this show. I know, I know... :sever:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Dr. Mrs. The Monarch was deffo doing a Taxi Driver there too. I hate that none of my friends "get" this show. I know, I know... :sever:

The only person I've ever been able to watch this show with is my sister. No one else jives with the humor/ gets many of the references/ is willing to keep up with it. :(

Also, I broke down and ordered this week's shirt. My first non-DVD Venture purchase. :3:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Huh.

The Silence of the Lambs reference (Gary trapping the Wandering Spider by having a fake broken arm and needing help loading a chair in his car) in this episode just dawned on me.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The shirt for this week is good, but I wish they would stop doing black tshirts. It's the one color that makes me look even paler than I already am.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bowel movement.

Having a push.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I love how the camera and writing danced around showing Christopher Lambert like he was a historical figure in a period film. Not sure if it was an homage to a specific movie but it totally sold the style homage.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Having a push.

Pushing a mess.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Tinkles!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Red posted:

Huh.

The Silence of the Lambs reference (Gary trapping the Wandering Spider by having a fake broken arm and needing help loading a chair in his car) in this episode just dawned on me.

This could be a movie reference, but it's also one of Ted Bundy's techniques, and the show loves a good serial killer reference, as shown in 'Viva Los Muertos!'

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kesper North posted:

"Next patient?"

I guess if your gonna arch, you might as well try and have SOME fun at it.

I quite liked this episode. It was lovely to see the Pilot era Monarch and Henchmen costumes again. Also, I'm still happily awaiting the Action Man's death when the next series comes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Eela6 posted:

This could be a movie reference, but it's also one of Ted Bundy's techniques, and the show loves a good serial killer reference, as shown in 'Viva Los Muertos!'

The Silence of the lambs bit was taken from Bundy, but 21 pseudo-quotes Buffalo Bill's "Say, are you about a size 14?" while mimicking Ted Levine's speech. A reference of a reference.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Das Boo posted:

The Silence of the lambs bit was taken from Bundy, but 21 pseudo-quotes Buffalo Bill's "Say, are you about a size 14?" while mimicking Ted Levine's speech. A reference of a reference.

Oh wait... was she a great big fat person?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Red posted:

Oh wait... was she a great big fat person?

Yeah, she was a big girl. :v:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, she was a big girl. :v:

Kind of glad they didn't use this reference on Battleaxe - that would've been creepy. :(

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

Pushing a mess.

Pinching a loaf.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Red posted:

Kind of glad they didn't use this reference on Battleaxe - that would've been creepy. :(

My one regret about this show is its tendency to introduce great characters and kill them in the same episode.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

twistedmentat posted:

Dean could have been playing Witcher 3 and found out hot sorceresses sometimes turn into cats and hang out.

Dean just meet a catwoman at one point, it could happen to them.

I was sure the boxing guy was going to get killed by accident by the backhoe and when Action Man beat him to death I was honestly surprised.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Does the God Gas remind anyone else of the gas that MUTHER pumped through the vents of Jonas's underground society?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Das Boo posted:

My one regret about this show is its tendency to introduce great characters and kill them in the same episode.
Wasn't Battle-axe in this episode, with a neck brace and other signs of injury? I think she survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

X_Toad posted:

Wasn't Battle-axe in this episode, with a neck brace and other signs of injury? I think she survived.

Yup. That's where 21 picks up his target.