Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/03/15

Actually I like l'cie because in Japanese they pronounce it almost like the name 'Lucy' so scenes would become 'oh poo poo the Lucy's are attacking!'
And anyone who thinks 13 does a bad job at explaining things should check out Type-0 sometime. At least in 13 they tell you wtf a l'cie is around the same time that they bring them up. In Type-0 I think they just assumed everyone would have played 13 already so they just toss them in there like they make sense.

Type-0 also wins out on dumbest not-well-explained and awkward made-up word with Peristylium. It's actually a real word except it means 'open place surrounded by columns' not 'a concept/religion/country/crystal/actually all of those'

Edit: Though, to clarify, I like FFType-0 a lot and am only poking fun at it because I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

That sounds dumb, why not call them horsebirds instead?

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
What's a moogle, I liked having beavers instead

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What this? FIRE? Dumb name. Me think ouchey burn better.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
YO loving SETSUNA IS COMING OUT, loving FINAL FANTASY 15 IS COME OUT, GET HYPE.

GET loving HYPE, WE'RE LIVING THE DREAM BOYS

Setsuna 2016 when?!?!?!?!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The Chrono Trigger not-sequel that we deserved instead of Chrono Cross. I'm gonna X-Strike all over when it comes out.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

shut up, gologle

DrNutt posted:

Terms for people were still pretty normal: Judges, Sky Pirates, Princess, etc.

i need more normality in my fantasy rpgs

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 15, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

shut up, gologle

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Setsuna on Steam is great news. I was worried I'd have to think about buying a console to enjoy it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You know it's true. You know it's true and you can't deny it. Chrono Cross will be a distant memory when this game comes out.

ALL OF THE GAMES will be distant memories. Including Chrono Trigger.

Unless it sucks. Setsuna might suck, let's be honest here. But i don't think so. Sheer nostalgia will save it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Leaked script excerpt from Final Fantasy XVI:

quote:

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I liked Chrono Cross though. :colbert:

It was a goddamn hot mess clusterfuck but it had an interesting premise, a pretty world, and a gorgeous soundtrack.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I appreciated Chrono Cross for its "gently caress NATURE" message.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Augus posted:

Alice in Wonderland is in Kingdom Hearts, not Final Fantasy silly :colbert:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Augus posted:

I know it's a joke, but the Jabberwocky is largely considered an great achievement of writing something that makes sense despite all the nonsense terms in it. There are a lot of articles and analysis out there on how Carroll made it work. Final Fantasy it ain't.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Also Chrono Cross had tough moms way before XIII ever did it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Alice in Wonderland could never hope to appreciate Final Fantasy's epic scope.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't get the "the story is confusing" angle that people take with 13. I was never confused, just bored. Bored and didn't care and hated all the characters. And didn't like the setting. And thought the battle system was interesting until I got a game over when my controlled character died, thus making the "life" spell completely useless except for healing the 1 character in your party of 3 that is able to die and be rezz'd. Ugh, that game was such trash. Ha, I was just about to type that it was the last FF I played, but since its the last one they released I guess that goes with out saying, huh?

I watched a lot of the important cutscenes where they explain stuff, thinking there was going to be some big plot twist later on that would explain why everything was so ridiculously stupid.

There never was. That's why I ended up confused, I couldn't accept that the story was just really bad and dumb.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i feel bad for setsuna because it'll probably be a pretty solid game but i get the impression people are going to hate it because it's advertising mentioned chrono trigger and then wasn't the greatest game of all time

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
It's amazing to me that 6 years after the game came out people can still have a bitter debate over the difficult linguistic concept of:
Fal'cie = machine God
L'cie = slave / angel to fal'cie
Cie'th = l'cie that hosed up

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Moogle
Mako
Eidolon

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fal'Cie - Lightning
L'Cie - Fang
La'Cie - Snow
Ray'Cie - Vanille
Do'Cie - Sazh
Puh'Cie - Hope

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cake Attack posted:

i feel bad for setsuna because it'll probably be a pretty solid game but i get the impression people are going to hate it because it's advertising mentioned chrono trigger and then wasn't the greatest game of all time

yeah it's going to be very sad when the game makes a lot of money because it ran ads comparing itself to something people like

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

Puh'Cie - Hope

:vince:

Countblanc posted:

yeah it's going to be very sad when the game makes a lot of money because it ran ads comparing itself to something people like

They're smart to release it on Steam because I wouldn't get it otherwise. But it sounds like they won't be smart like that with SO5 :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they should release Bravely Second on steam, so i can stream it for my efriends. they should also release Final Fantasy Tactics: A3 on steam.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

okay fair

i'm not saying advertising like that was a bad idea, i'm just predicting some backlash when it comes out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cake Attack posted:

okay fair

i'm not saying advertising like that was a bad idea, i'm just predicting some backlash when it comes out

So basically every game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
chrono trigger was the final fantasy 4 of time travel games

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Pureauthor posted:

Moogle
Mako
Eidolon

Solid fantasy words. They have syllables and patterns we use every day so are not completely foreign to us, as well as having strong mapping of the sounds to the objects.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Solid fantasy words. They have syllables and patterns we use every day so are not completely foreign to us, as well as having strong mapping of the sounds to the objects.

moogles don't moo, so i don't know what you're talking about

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

chrono trigger was the final fantasy 4 of time travel games

But Chrono Trigger is good?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

moogles don't moo, so i don't know what you're talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect

"Individuals who have autism do not show as strong a preference." Lol rip this thread then.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 15, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saint Freak posted:

tbh i'm not sure how you're supposed to put a glottal stop after or before a consonant but damned if i don't give it the old college try

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Well, one thing's for sure, they stepped up the stupid by inexplicably giving everyone long strings of Latin words as names. Which isn't how ancient Roman names worked but honestly whatever, if we can have a Cloud Stryfe, we can have a Noctis Stella Pax Romanus Felinus Diarrheus.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Saint Freak posted:

With the exception of google they're not even fantasy words. Mako doesn't really have any connection to how we'd be familiar with it but eidolon is just old timey speak for ghost.

^^^^ Well we did get a Squall as a result of Raine mixing with a Laguna.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is reminding me how, apparently, the translators for FFVII wanted to differentiate words like SOLDIER from their normal meaning so they put them in caps.

I could swear WEAPON was in caps too when I first played FFVII but it isn't in the last few versions I have played. Then again, the PC script is different. It actually removes some of the character of the game, to be honest. I'm fairly certain Rufus says to Cloud "I guess this means we won't be friends" whereas in the PC script he says "we won't be allies." It just sounds so much less...mocking.

Oh well, no big deal. I just find it a strange thing to alter such minor bits.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's amazing to me that 6 years after the game came out people can still have a bitter debate over the difficult linguistic concept of:
Fal'cie = machine God
L'cie = slave / angel to fal'cie
Cie'th = l'cie that hosed up

Yes we've firmly established that the game tells you what the terms mean. The complaint is that there's no way to deduce what they mean without the game explicitly telling you.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

why would you ever need to know what a falcie is outside of playing ff13?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
My biggest gripe with XIII's narrative now, after so many years, is just the sloppy editing and needless repetition of dialogue. The way the characters pointlessly reiterate the same points. The unnecessary utterances with only slight rephrasing of their original statements. :v:

I kinda like XIII's cosomology, as it was in the first game. I didn't like it so much when the characters were saved by a literal Deus Ex Machina (I thought they'd overcome being zombified by sheer will power), and something something Etro's Gate physically in the room with Orphan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
That sounds like a problem you would only really have if you skip through the dialog, which would explian why there are pages of people getting mad about fake words instead of the hundreds of more glaring gently caress ups in 13's story.

Edit: this is about the hoopla about words, not the post above me