Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

grack posted:

120g is absurdly heavy for a pen.

This. "Normal" very heavy pens most people already wouldn't be able to write with are around 50g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

pienipple posted:

What a weird omission, you'd think it would be there since they bought the tooling and removing the piercer but not changing it to accept international standard carts is a strange decision.

May be a legal issue as Pilot's cartridges are proprietary. Not a big deal really, my CON-20 and CON-70 don't fit but Pilot cartridges seal up quite nicely so I can just remove the stopper from an empty one and refill that.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I would think they'd just swap the cartridge connector to a standard one, but I'm not privy to those decisions.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Goons I'm in the market for a ~*fancy*~ pen to celebrate my quite frankly obscene annual bonus. Price is nominally no object but I'd rather not spend more than 500 or so. Currently leaning towards a 3776 Celluloid, so if anyone has any experience with one of those I'd love to get some feedback.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

howe_sam posted:

Goons I'm in the market for a ~*fancy*~ pen to celebrate my quite frankly obscene annual bonus. Price is nominally no object but I'd rather not spend more than 500 or so. Currently leaning towards a 3776 Celluloid, so if anyone has any experience with one of those I'd love to get some feedback.

I have one and like it quite a lot. I had big problems with an Omas I bought from Classic Fountain Pens, and ended up returning it and got a 3776 in the koi celluloid in exchange. I'd wanted it for a long time, and ordered one from Engeika not that long ago, only to find out that they weren't actually in stock, he couldn't get one and then he gave me a lot of static about wanting a refund instead of a different pen. They're out of production, I think, so I feel lucky to have gotten one.

It's smaller than you might think; I have three 3776es (the koi, a Shoji and a Nakaya Briar, which was also sold as a 3776) and it's the smallest one. Still quite comfortable in the hand. The celluloid is rolled instead of turned, so there's a seam on both the cap and the barrel, and it's not guaranteed to be at the "bottom". I've taken a picture to try and show the seam as best I can. It doesn't bother me at all -- it's there if you look, but pretty subtle, but you can't feel it, and I don't really notice it at all. The lighting on this picture is pretty rotten -- it doesn't look that yellow in the pearly bits in person.

A pen I'm glad to own, and a wonderful writer. I've got it filled with Sailor Jentle oku-yama at the moment.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Montegrappa Chaos

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

grack posted:

Montegrappa Chaos

Oh man, I remember that one -- the Sylvester Stallone pen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XpwLHPlhw

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
If money is no object then find one of those severely autistic recluses that devotes himself entirely to one specific craft and somehow makes a living making 7 or 8 macguffins a year. Thats how you get a really good chef's knife so I don't see why it should be any different for pens.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Solumin posted:

Oh man, I remember that one -- the Sylvester Stallone pen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XpwLHPlhw

drat straight. And don't go cheap and get the solid silver version, solid gold or nothing. I mean, what's an extra $62,000 these days?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Solumin posted:

no great loss to the world that brands like Omas and Montegrappa are going bankrupt

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

atholbrose posted:

A pen I'm glad to own, and a wonderful writer.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

May be a legal issue as Pilot's cartridges are proprietary. Not a big deal really, my CON-20 and CON-70 don't fit but Pilot cartridges seal up quite nicely so I can just remove the stopper from an empty one and refill that.

I can promise you that a mainland Chinese company does not care if Pilot's cartridges are proprietary. It's far more likely that that teensy weensy little piece of plastic was omitted to save just enough costs on materials for a manager to pocket like $20.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

My Man Shran posted:

I can promise you that a mainland Chinese company does not care if Pilot's cartridges are proprietary. It's far more likely that that teensy weensy little piece of plastic was omitted to save just enough costs on materials for a manager to pocket like $20.

The point is that pilot sold them the tooling, nothing stopping pilot from omitting it before they hand it over.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Then Pilot deprived themselves of a market for their overpriced cartridges?

Or they assumed that a single pen from Hero's massive lineup would create an incentive for counterfeit cartridges that was somehow never created by their own pens?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Thoughts on the Wing Sung 659 after a couple of days:

-Build quality is generally good.
-The cap and barrel are interchangeable with the 78G but the barrel is stiff.
-The nib and feed can't be put in to Pilot pens. The nibs are slightly too thick and the feeds are slightly too small.
-Pilot feeds are too large to fit in the section but nibs from the "Super Quality" line fit, albeit a little bit loose.
-The included nibs are surprisingly good. The Fine nib is easily on the level of a Pilot Fine and came well adjusted.
-The converter is almost identical to the CON-50, and fits happily in my Pilot pens.
-CON-20/CON-70 don't work, CON-50 and Pilot cartridges do work.
-As mentioned the feed lacks a piercer for Pilot cartridges.

and most importantly

-I've never used a pen with a completely transparent feed and section before and it is awesome. Gonna get another Plumix and stick the nib in this pen.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Given that I love to tinker with pens and hobbyist machining, can you guys think of a decent reason for me not to buy a metal lathe to go with my wood one and start farting around with machining my own pens? There's a billion places to get super loving cool acrylics, and aluminum is plenty cheap too. It just sounds like the best addition to my already absurd hobby.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
poo poo, it's how Goulet got started, might as well go for it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I could only have one machine tool, it would be a screw-cutting engine lathe. You can do an astonishing amount of stuff with one, including many things that are impossible with any other tool.

Get a lathe, a drill press, a grinding wheel, a set of files, and a hacksaw and you've got a well-equipped machine shop right there.

Look at the 7x10 lathe website for a lot of good information.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Sagebrush posted:

If I could only have one machine tool, it would be a screw-cutting engine lathe. You can do an astonishing amount of stuff with one, including many things that are impossible with any other tool.

Get a lathe, a drill press, a grinding wheel, a set of files, and a hacksaw and you've got a well-equipped machine shop right there.

Look at the 7x10 lathe website for a lot of good information.

I've already got the grinder, drill press, files, saws and wood lathe with tooling; I just fix tools and sharpen lawnmower blades and do around the house projects. I've been eyeballing this guy and my great uncle's old dusty machinery's handbook that I inherited years ago. Why not, right? worst case scenario I have another tool that I find a use for every couple of months when someone needs something tinkered with.

e: man, I'm tool shopping now and which lathe I want is almost as bad as which pen I want to buy next. Any of you guys machinists with input on Central Machinery v. Grizzly?

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 14, 2016

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really like the Jinhao 8812 specifically because you can get it in with a wooden barrel, but A) I don't need another pen and B) I don't know what kind of converter to use for it so I don't have to keep refilling it with cartridges.

E: looks like the amazon ones come with the converter. I dunno, I think a Chinese pen with the Bern ink would be a perfect match

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 15, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Just about every cheap Chinese pen you can buy will come with a filling system of some type, be it a converter or an aerometric fill. Chinese pens are also pretty flexible when using converters from other brands, unlike many European brands.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

KKKLIP ART posted:

I really like the Jinhao 8812 specifically because you can get it in with a wooden barrel, but A) I don't need another pen and B) I don't know what kind of converter to use for it so I don't have to keep refilling it with cartridges.

E: looks like the amazon ones come with the converter. I dunno, I think a Chinese pen with the Bern ink would be a perfect match

It looks like the normal cheap looking but incredibly durable converter that Jinhao's come with. They fit standard international fittings, so long as the barrel doesn't have some oddity preventing it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Any of you guys machinists with input on Central Machinery v. Grizzly?

Grizzly's better IMO, but the specific tool you're looking at (the Harbor Freight 7x10 I expect?) is a good product for its price.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Sagebrush posted:

Grizzly's better IMO, but the specific tool you're looking at (the Harbor Freight 7x10 I expect?) is a good product for its price.

The 7x12, but yeah. They're all made by Seig, but Grizzly has a sale right now and better customer support generally. I've bought a few things from HF over the years and replaced quite a bit of them with higher quality versions from other toolmakers. Once the old lady confirms that there's nothing I'm not otherwise aware of waiting to eat my money I think I'm going to get a new toy!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Ordered a pilot pen and converter from Engeika's web store on March 8th. It still hasn't shipped. (I sent them an email this morning asking for a status update, but I thought I'd mention it here too, in case someone here would like to know.)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

inklesspen posted:

Ordered a pilot pen and converter from Engeika's web store on March 8th. It still hasn't shipped. (I sent them an email this morning asking for a status update, but I thought I'd mention it here too, in case someone here would like to know.)

When I ordered from them it took close to two weeks for them to email me and say that one of the pens I ordered wasn't available and blah blah blah. I told them to swap it out for the same thing but a different color that was stocked and they were happy to work with me on it. Now, it took almost three weeks for the order to get shipped, but I got it fast as poo poo once it went out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I have a confession...

I've been an avid fan of fountain pens since about 2011 and have a collection of about twelve to fifteen. I'm starting to suspect I'm very bad at the hobby because even though I use my own inks and refill cartridges with blunted syringes, it seems that I still have plenty of "nice" pens that start and stop often. Is there a good series of videos I could watch to see if I'm doing something miraculously wrong?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Captain Log posted:

I have a confession...

I've been an avid fan of fountain pens since about 2011 and have a collection of about twelve to fifteen. I'm starting to suspect I'm very bad at the hobby because even though I use my own inks and refill cartridges with blunted syringes, it seems that I still have plenty of "nice" pens that start and stop often. Is there a good series of videos I could watch to see if I'm doing something miraculously wrong?

How often do you give them a good, thorough cleaning and what kind of paper do you use, typically? You might have some gunk in the feed or an errant fiber in the tines.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

How often do you give them a good, thorough cleaning and what kind of paper do you use, typically? You might have some gunk in the feed or an errant fiber in the tines.

I've never been sure about cleaning them to be honest. I know how but wasn't sure what was overkill.

(I think of cleaning as breaking them down and passing tepid water through the nib until it runs clear - Not sure how to particularly clean errant fibers out of a nib)

Also they typically just write on post it notes or a pad of Smythson on Bond Street paper that sits in my leather planner. It was my grandmothers. Post it notes are my bread and butter though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I write on post-its a lot and sometimes have trouble with my pens not wanting to write on that paper, especially on the top edge where there can be leftover glue from the previous sheet.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Captain Log posted:

I've never been sure about cleaning them to be honest. I know how but wasn't sure what was overkill.

(I think of cleaning as breaking them down and passing tepid water through the nib until it runs clear - Not sure how to particularly clean errant fibers out of a nib)

Also they typically just write on post it notes or a pad of Smythson on Bond Street paper that sits in my leather planner. It was my grandmothers. Post it notes are my bread and butter though.

Get a brass sheet and the pen cleaning kit from Goulet, then. And watch Brian Goulet's video on pen cleaning.

Post-its are not great paper and like Burrito, I often get issues writing on them depending on where I'm trying to write.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of Smythson paper before, but it sounds like it's probably laid paper and is, therefore, much harder to write on. You should try some Clairefontaine or Rhodia (Clairefontaine actually owns Rhodia now, but the papers are still quite different) since they're both much more FP-friendly. I personally use either Midori's paper or the Staples sugarcane paper (heh... bagasse) for loose-leaf, but it sounds like you might be from not-'Murica, which would make the latter hard to find.

edit: the reason I suggest the cleaning kit is that using the bulb thingy is much faster at pushing water through and the pen flush will get at the ink that's really stubbornly stuck in places. And it's cheap and a bottle will last for-bloody-ever since you only use a couple mL every time you use it.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 22, 2016

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

Get a brass sheet and the pen cleaning kit from Goulet, then. And watch Brian Goulet's video on pen cleaning.

Post-its are not great paper and like Burrito, I often get issues writing on them depending on where I'm trying to write.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of Smythson paper before, but it sounds like it's probably laid paper and is, therefore, much harder to write on. You should try some Clairefontaine or Rhodia (Clairefontaine actually owns Rhodia now, but the papers are still quite different) since they're both much more FP-friendly. I personally use either Midori's paper or the Staples sugarcane paper (heh... bagasse) for loose-leaf, but it sounds like you might be from not-'Murica, which would make the latter hard to find.

edit: the reason I suggest the cleaning kit is that using the bulb thingy is much faster at pushing water through and the pen flush will get at the ink that's really stubbornly stuck in places. And it's cheap and a bottle will last for-bloody-ever since you only use a couple mL every time you use it.

This is awesome! Thanks for the post. I need to actually see what someone else is doing compared to me doing things I've read.

I'm a first generation American. My grandmother was a giant British antique dealer and the pad is hers. It's one of those heirloom deals It's basically a twenty year old brown one of these from when they were made in England, not loving Italy.

http://www.smythson.com/us/charcoal-maddox-a5-writing-folder.html

Being an immensely poor person with 100k in medical debt, I really doubt I'm ever going to shell out $75 give or take for the Smythson branded paper. One I get a ruler unpacked I'll figure out the measurements for this thing and track down some paper based on your recommendation.

I loving love my grandmother's writing folder.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I write on dogshit paper and my pens work fine. I would look elsewhere besides fancy paper.

Personally, I've always found cartridges to feed unreliably. Have you tried using a converter rather than refilled cartridges?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

guppy posted:

I write on dogshit paper and my pens work fine. I would look elsewhere besides fancy paper.

Personally, I've always found cartridges to feed unreliably. Have you tried using a converter rather than refilled cartridges?

I use both and haven't found a trend.

After watching that video that was posted I'm glad to see that I was on the right track with things, like two cups of water! There were just a few tips here and there that it was helpful to see. I'm going to watch them all.

I would like nice paper for my little writing folder but I don't think that's the answer.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It wasn't until I used a stub nib that I realized I had been holding my pen wrong all along (or at least writing at the wrong angle). I started with some easier-going fountain pens like the Metropolitan where it didn't matter much, but I got a ton of starts and stops with a stub until I changed the angle of the nib on the paper, and now my Metropolitans write better too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

RichterIX posted:

It wasn't until I used a stub nib that I realized I had been holding my pen wrong all along (or at least writing at the wrong angle). I started with some easier-going fountain pens like the Metropolitan where it didn't matter much, but I got a ton of starts and stops with a stub until I changed the angle of the nib on the paper, and now my Metropolitans write better too.

Does stub mean short pen? It's interesting you say that because my most reliable pen is a 50 dollar Monte...something that is god damned tiny.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Does stub mean short pen? It's interesting you say that because my most reliable pen is a 50 dollar Monte...something that is god damned tiny.

Stub is a nib shape. It's flat with slightly rounded off edges so down strokes are wider than cross strokes.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Captain Log posted:

grack posted:

Stub is a nib shape. It's flat with slightly rounded off edges so down strokes are wider than cross strokes.

You might know it better as an italic nib. A lot of people use "italic" when they mean "stub", including almost all pen manufacturers. Italics theoretically have crisper and sharper ends than stubs, but in practice any time you see a pen advertised as being an italic, it's really a stub. I think Mr. Pen in the UK and nibmeisters who grind custom nibs are the only people nowadays whose italics are actually italics and not stubs, but I could be wrong.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nah, you can still get true italic nibs from Manuscript with their calligraphy sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

Nah, you can still get true italic nibs from Manuscript with their calligraphy sets

The nib in the Plumix is really close to a true italic, and I think Aurora also has sharp edged italics.