Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nanomashoes posted:

The Demon's Souls community was the best game community I've ever seen, and consisted entirely of people who just wanted to play the game and talk about it instead of having endless arguments about balance and difficulty. It was like the King's Field community in that regard.

Was it? My entire experience with it was people yelling at me to stop being such a "scrubby human being" for not being able to kill the flame lurker. Also frequent scraping spear invasions where they'd just show up, break my equipment then follow me around until something else killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I guess the troll is on me for this thread turning into another iteration of the DS2 argument.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Was it? My entire experience with it was people yelling at me to stop being such a "scrubby human being" for not being able to kill the flame lurker. Also frequent scraping spear invasions where they'd just show up, break my equipment then follow me around until something else killed me.

Sounds like you were pretty scrubby.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess the troll is on me for this thread turning into another iteration of the DS2 argument.

Yeah if you wanted to kill it and start again with a strict ban on Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls II talk, I don't think anyone would blame you.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Dark Souls is like the opposite of that saying about Satan. The greatest trick those games ever pulled is convincing people to never stop talking about them.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Nothing like some Dark Souls / Final Fantasy chat to really bring a thread to life

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Great troll was when SOE/Daybreak had $100 founders packs for EQ Landmark. Supposedly got you early access to the alpha and all kinds of neat perks for Landmark's eventual launch and EQ Next.

Then they stopped updating Landmark for over a year and cancelled Next. Nuts to the players, but I'm sure they raked in tons on dumbass founders.

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it in pages 13-60, but the Troll Cave in Kings Quest IV deserves a special mention in a series filled with ridiculous stunts (look in' at you, KQ3!).

Basically, at one point of the game you have to traverse a pitch black series of caves. No problem - grab a lantern and head right through four screens. However, at any point during this you might get grabbed and killed by the titular troll (complete with a useless 'look out for the troll, Rosella!'). In the first three screens you might get a warning roar, but in the fourth screen there's no warning at all.

The troll isn't the worse bit, though. On the fourth screen there's a chasm. Not that you'd know, though, because this pitch black chasm is drawn across a pitch black screen, and so your first encounter with it is when you inevitably fall down it. To cross it, you need to place a plank across it, which means getting close enough to the bloody thing to place it without ending up in it or being eaten (without warning) in the process.

5 minutes later, you get to do it all again! :shepicide:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
My parents played through King's Quest II several times without the sugar cube because at the time there wasn't much in the way of walkthroughs. That meant they traversed the narrow windy path up to Dracula's castle through a patch of poison trees pixel by excruciating pixel, saving every 5 seconds or so whenever they made progress or die by getting too close to the branches. After they did whatever they needed inside, they did the exact same inching forward then saving but in reverse.

All because Sierra is terrible in hinting at things. The series of interactions is as follows:
1. Encounter a snake that blocks your path. You are warned that getting too close will be bad for you.
2. Throw a golden bridle at it. Being too far away from where you need to be will give you the only hint that you're on the right path; the game tells you to get closer. There's two things wrong with this. The first is there's an alternative method of getting past the snake, just straight up murdering it with a sword which I believe loses you points. The second is that King's Quest has a habit of just having items to be picked up that are valuable for increasing your score and gold things are heavily favoured for that.
3. TALK TO PEGASUS. There is no prompt, you have to somehow assume that it has a reward for you and it can talk back.

Sage Grimm has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Mar 14, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cracked posted an article very much in the spirit of this thread: http://www.cracked.com/article_23598_6-incredible-gaming-achievements-with-stupid-rewards.html

The entries are:
-Play 250 fights in Mortal Kombat to play a single Pong match
-Get all the stars in Super Mario 64, meet Yoshi for 10 seconds, and a better jump you have no use for
-Follow a bunch of convoluted steps in FFVII to unlock Aerith's final LB, who then gets deaded not long afterwards
-Kill every Skulltula in Ocarina of Time to get "infinite" money in a game where money is never an issue
-Beat Silent Hill 2 flawlessly to get a weapon that kills everything-including you.
-Collect 1 million roses in We Love Katamari to get a slightly changed loading screen.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sage Grimm posted:

The first is there's an alternative method of getting past the snake, just straight up murdering it with a sword which I believe loses you points.

The game becomes unwinnable if you murder it because you need to ride the pegasus to beat the game.

There's also the bridge you can cross only so many times, and you need literally every trip. Make one mistake and the bridge collapses. Save after wasting a trip and the game is unwinnable.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's a fish you ride after you open the third door. The pegasus just straight up fucks off never to be seen again after giving you the sugar cube.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The best game dev troll is the elevator

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The elevator in Serpentshrine Cavern in World of Warcraft was a good one. They made it so tall that a paladin's 6-second immunity would wear off before they hit the bottom if they used it straight away. Deliberately, I'm pretty sure, but with Wowinsider going the way of the dodo it's hard to find the story I'm thinking of for reference.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Control Volume posted:

Any in particular? Because I don't think videogames invented the concept of elevators.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Control Volume posted:

No way stairs in early FPS games. Where going down them would be hit or miss and often just be fall damage.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Any in particular? Because I don't think videogames invented the concept of elevators.

No I mean elevators in video games. there are several but don't worry people will be along very shortly to be extremely mad about elevators.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Len posted:

No way stairs in early FPS games. Where going down them would be hit or miss and often just be fall damage.

This still kinda happens in the 2014 Shadow Warrior, where I couldn't resist dashing while on stairs, which just caused me to move forward in the air and die due to fall damage. Twice.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Gann Jerrod posted:

This still kinda happens in the 2014 Shadow Warrior, where I couldn't resist dashing while on stairs, which just caused me to move forward in the air and die due to fall damage. Twice.

Oh good, so I wasn't the only one. :downs:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Control Volume posted:

No I mean elevators in video games. there are several but don't worry people will be along very shortly to be extremely mad about elevators.

how about that elevator in dark souls 2 where it goes up to the iron keep from the poison place even though there was nothing above the poison place

completely ruined my immersion, I uninstalled and vowed never to return

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Noooooooooooo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tetracube posted:

how about that elevator in dark souls 2 where it goes up to the iron keep from the poison place even though there was nothing above the poison place

What about the elevator in the first Dark Souls. Where the NPC tells you "one bell below" and then there's an elevator right there. And not only does it take you to a horrible place full of ghosts you can't hurt, but it's not even the right place!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Tetracube posted:

Time and space are warping in Drangleic. I've never understood why so many people have such trouble with this.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Tetracube posted:

I always just figured Drangleic was all hosed up spatially, as your can basically walk across a continent by going through a little cave and poo poo, "This place got turbofucked by Soul-Magics" and all. Maybe if they flat out said that it would have been better.

And as for trolls: loving Vay Hek in Warframe. Vay Hek is the final boss of Earth, and is way too loving annoying for how low level he is. His lovely gimmick is that he can only take damage from headshots, his head randomly is vulnerable when he opens his helmet, and he's in a big jetpack mech thing that constantly flies around way your head at high speeds while constantly turning around. So it's a nightmare to hit his tiny rear end head while he's erratically flailing about. And he can regen health by killing one of the NPC mooks that constantly spawn during the mission. If your team isn't on top of him constantly, killing the mooks as soon as they spawn and damaging him at every opportunity, the fight can go on forever, literally without end as he takes piddling damage that he then immediately heals.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Wapole Languray posted:

And as for trolls: loving Vay Hek in Warframe. Vay Hek is the final boss of Earth, and is way too loving annoying for how low level he is. His lovely gimmick is that he can only take damage from headshots, his head randomly is vulnerable when he opens his helmet, and he's in a big jetpack mech thing that constantly flies around way your head at high speeds while constantly turning around. So it's a nightmare to hit his tiny rear end head while he's erratically flailing about. And he can regen health by killing one of the NPC mooks that constantly spawn during the mission. If your team isn't on top of him constantly, killing the mooks as soon as they spawn and damaging him at every opportunity, the fight can go on forever, literally without end as he takes piddling damage that he then immediately heals.

Nice to see the warframe team is still pro at designing bosses. My favorite warframe moment was when they redesigned the first place. I think it was mercury? So the boss not only scaled to be harder, to the point of being almost impossible at first, if you had more people, but was also ridiculously hard since he had some stupid invincibility gimmick or something and took ages to gun down. On top of buffing every enemy in the starting area to the point where new players would run out of ammo trying to take down some of the middle tier enemies before the boss even because they had shields. So the result was that the very starting area of the game became the hardest one. But they'd close down any topics on the forum that complained about how hard this boss was and how not fun the starting segment made the whole game look to be.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Time and space are warping in Drangleic. I've never understood why so many people have such trouble with this.

Time and space warped in Lordran too but that world was still intricately interconnected in consistent ways that made physical sense and worked aesthetically, not to mention how most places had more connections than the one entrance and the one exit. I'm not butthurt about that elevator specifically but the lack of that sort of thing in general in DS2 was disappointing because I prefer that type of map design.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lifts in Duke Nukem 3D were pretty cool. Because that game couldn't actually have one area directly over another, it simulated it by making the lifts teleporters. Two identical rooms, you press the button in one and seamlessly teleport to the other, while a lift noise plays and the screen shakes a bit, then the door opens and you're somewhere else. Playing the game you'd never know how it worked, but it was a clever trick, I thought.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm looking forward to DS3. Not because of the game itself, but of the new myriad ways nerds will relentlessly bitch about it on the internet.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

haveblue posted:

Time and space warped in Lordran too but that world was still intricately interconnected in consistent ways that made physical sense and worked aesthetically, not to mention how most places had more connections than the one entrance and the one exit. I'm not butthurt about that elevator specifically but the lack of that sort of thing in general in DS2 was disappointing because I prefer that type of map design.

And that's perfectly valid, I just don't get why the elevator makes so many people flip out. Drangleic seems to be way more spatially warped than Lordran though. I mean, in the opening cut scene you get there by going trough a magical gate, and then the starting area is literally "Things Betwixt" and implies that somehow literally everyone who seeks out Drangleic passes through there. And there are NPCs who talk about overlapping worlds and not just times like in Lordran.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Plus, nowhere is DS2 is as bad as Lost Izalith, aka "Eye Searing Plain of Dragonasses"

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Wapole Languray posted:

Plus, nowhere is DS2 is as bad as Lost Izalith, aka "Eye Searing Plain of Dragonasses"

Dark Souls 1 and 2 levels are like a ceaseless discharge out of a map maker's rear end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I just don't know why people assume the elevator has to mean it's one single straight elevator directly up and that the lava mountain has to be hovering above earthen peak like bowser's castle or something. Someone took a screenshot and you can see a huge mountain in the background I assume that's supposed to be the volcano and the map is a bit weirdly made.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Earthern Peak is under a terrible curse that renders those who travel through it extremely tiny. Iron Keep is actually an extremely tiny castle situated on top of the windmill, where a very confused tiny king created the tiniest kingdom. While drilling into the tiny mountain that was in reality the windmill, his men accidentally set fire to a common squirrel, and driven mad by pain and the curse, that squirrel became the Smelter Demon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you bring this up whyyyy

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
STARDEW VALLEY is a chill farming game where you grow potatoes, fish and get married to the waifu/husbando of your dreams. There's no failing, there's no hardships everything is just lovely and wonderful...

Besides Hardwood.

Hardwood is a material you need to upgrade your house/build some things and unlike every other resource in the game that can be farmed or found in abundance you can only get AT MOST 8 hardwood a day (reliably) I need 150 Hardwood to expand my house which means every day for a month (if I'm lucky) I have to travel to some little den in the woods to hack up some dead trees.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChogsEnhour posted:

STARDEW VALLEY is a chill farming game where you grow potatoes, fish and get married to the waifu/husbando of your dreams. There's no failing, there's no hardships everything is just lovely and wonderful...

Besides Hardwood.

Hardwood is a material you need to upgrade your house/build some things and unlike every other resource in the game that can be farmed or found in abundance you can only get AT MOST 8 hardwood a day (reliably) I need 150 Hardwood to expand my house which means every day for a month (if I'm lucky) I have to travel to some little den in the woods to hack up some dead trees.

12 a day reliably. There are two additional stumps in the hidden forest that you've been completely missing out on. :)

On the other hand you need so little hardwood in the game.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ChogsEnhour posted:

Besides Hardwood.

You get a fair amount by chopping the logs and stumps on your farm, which you're going to want to do to clear it anyway. That'll get you like halfway there.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Wait, whaaaat? Where are the other hardwood in the forest?

I used all the hardwood from clearing my farm to build the stable, maybe? I can't remember but I was all out.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
The bend before the pond, theres a hidden path you can walk under the tree canopies to the bottom of the area about midway across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't believe it was mentioned already, but the Barrens from World of Warcraft, especially before Burning Crusade was released. Not only was it a massive zone that Hoard players had to go to, you first go there at a low level, long before you even have a mount. There was at least one quest that you get in the northern half of the Barrens (the low level part of the map) that required you to go to the southern half of the map to complete. "Okay, fine, it's a bit of a slog to run all the way down there, and it's a higher level area, but you just stick to the road so you don't get attacked and when you get there, you hit up the flight master after that" I hear you say. Blizzard decided that that would be too easy, so they have a group of four level 25 Alliance NPCs on mounts patrolling the southern road, who WILL chase you down to murder you when they see you. Once again, these were quests from the level 7-15? quest area.

Oh, and the cherry on the poo poo sundae that was the Barrens, it was also the area that had the quest to find Mankirk's wife's body. The body wasn't labeled "Mankirk's wife" or something convenient like that, but "battered body". And at one point, the quest gives you a marker for the general location of her body. Except that at one point, they moved the body but didn't update the marker to reflect that.

• Locked thread