Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mr3 has the TONKOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Loaded up Volt P with corrupt mods finally so I can become a thunderstorm. Was good fun.

C'mon :de: prime Oberon so I can throw all my forma at him and become the golden god of dunking.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mephiston posted:

that short starter guide needs to go in the op, either in full or linked to that post.

Seriously, I was hoping for a little bit more than "git gud, buy frames"

I got way more than I expected!

Is the procedure in the OP still accurate for joining the clan?
I've either not been invited yet or I can't find the button to accept the invite.
Either is possible.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SSNeoman posted:

Newbie guide

This looks pretty good. However, if it's going to go in the OP, Helter Skelter should be sure to swap Venus and Mercury or you'll have confused a fair number of people - Vor is on Mercury and drops Cronus and Seer parts while Jackal on Venus drops Rhino parts.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

hooah posted:

This looks pretty good. However, if it's going to go in the OP, Helter Skelter should be sure to swap Venus and Mercury or you'll have confused a fair number of people - Vor is on Mercury and drops Cronus and Seer parts while Jackal on Venus drops Rhino parts.

Son of a gently caress I'll fix this, sorry. They're both low level orange balls it's confusing.
edit: fixed

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Seriously, I was hoping for a little bit more than "git gud, buy frames"

I got way more than I expected!

No prob, and now worries. Everyone, the developers included, admit that the early game is super restrictive, overwhelming and unintuitive.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is the procedure in the OP still accurate for joining the clan?

Yeah just wait a bit.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 15, 2016

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm still fairly new to the game and here is my own account of how to get the ball rolling.

Grab a Tonkor asap. That is all.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

sitchelin posted:

I'm still fairly new to the game and here is my own account of how to get the ball rolling.

Grab a Tonkor asap. That is all.

As a fairly late adopter of the Tonkor, I back this concept, and regret my naive mistakes.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Sarcastastic posted:

As a fairly late adopter of the Tonkor, I back this concept, and regret my naive mistakes.

I made a Tonkor and I hate it, what am I doing wrong?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Push your crit chance as high as you can, past 100%. Maybe a reload speed mod. Watch as red crits pop up everywhere.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

magic mountain posted:

I hated it for the first 10 or so ranks on it. Once you spec it for crit instead and get used to it's fire arc, you learn what to use it for, namely not the odd duder here and there, but if like 3 are together, they gone. It really takes adjusting if, like me, you are used to assault rifles and LMG's in this game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Also note that the tonkor does basically zero self damage so feel free to fire it point blank

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I for one dislike the tonkor but mostly because I've been burned too many times by it skittering between Grineers' tiny stick legs instead of exploding and then going boom harmlessly behind them when I could have had a fine mist of clone blood <:mad:>

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I for one dislike the tonkor but mostly because I've been burned too many times by it skittering between Grineers' tiny stick legs instead of exploding and then going boom harmlessly behind them when I could have had a fine mist of clone blood <:mad:>

This is rather frustrating, yeah

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

magic mountain posted:

First of all, it's a critgun, so put the usual two +critchance and +critdamage mods in.

Second, understand how it works. The bombs explode on contact with enemies, and if they hit nothing they'll only explode on their own after a length timeout period. They also explode on contact with players, so if your teammates are in the way you can just bean bombs off their heads to kill everything around them. Tonkor is unique in that its self-damage is trivial, so you can detonate bombs that missed by running over them yourself. Area denial is seldom useful in a game as fast as this, but sometimes you'll have opportunities to just pelt an area where enemies are coming or bounce a few bombs around corners; they'll run right over the bombs or get caught in the timed blasts. Play around with it, learn its simple tactics.

If you aim down sights with the Tonkor, it shows you a holographic arc indicator that's fairly accurate and a good way to get a feel for ranges. If you have a lot of trouble getting the hang of it, you can always just use it like a blunderbuss, running right into enemies and shooting them point-blank.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

a) git gud (try aiming a little high, it helps me)

b) use it with Mirage. You can't miss when you're carpeting an area with volleys of half a dozen grenades per shot :unsmigghh:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

On the other hand, the Penta lets you use the alt-fire to explode the grenade when you want it, where you want it :smug:
... Though the Penta also does full friendly fire to you so if you're too close, welp :gibs:

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
How crucial/helpful is the projectile speed mod on the Tonkor? I looked through my mods and realized I somehow don't have it despite doing a million T1/3 Sabs.

Bwank
Nov 12, 2007

GUYS I DON'T SEE THE BIG DEAL HERE. WHY IS EVERYONE MAKING A FUSS OVER THIS????
:derp: :derp: :derp:

mortal posted:

How crucial/helpful is the projectile speed mod on the Tonkor? I looked through my mods and realized I somehow don't have it despite doing a million T1/3 Sabs.

If you're even a little good at leading your shots, I doubt you'll need it. I can't really say I've ever had an encounter where I've gone "Man, if only that round was going a little bit faster and I didn't fit so much multishot/crit/crit damage/splash-size."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Hm, does self-inflicted damage activate the energy refill from Rage? I might find some use for Tonkor on Inaros if so.

VVV that reminds me, I think I still don't have Adhesive Blast. Anyone got an extra copy of it?

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 15, 2016

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

On the other hand, the Penta lets you use the alt-fire to explode the grenade when you want it, where you want it :smug:
... Though the Penta also does full friendly fire to you so if you're too close, welp :gibs:

I'd love to use a Secura Penta with Adhesive Blast, just because sticky bombs fill me with glee, but the damage simply cannot compare to the Tonkor. No self-damage is only like 25% of why Tonkor is the king of launchers, the real reason is that its damage is top-tier, one of the best guns in the game and a go-to for difficult content. And it has higher ammo capacity/efficiency than almost any other launcher, as if it didn't outclass them enough already.

This isn't some GOTTA BE THE BEST thing, I enjoy quite a few middle-tier weapons, formaed into usability. But when a gun that struggles for damage is so functionally similar to one that doesn't- ehhhh.

mortal posted:

Not very, it's optional. Un-augmented Tonkor is good up to medium range if you have any kind of feel for lobbed projectiles, this isn't a case like the Sonicor where the range-extending mod is an absolute must-have. You'll also have to re-learn how to aim with it, since the increased speed means all your target leading distances will change.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just slap reload and firestorm mods on it and forget about learning to aim.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
The Tonkor can really benefit from the "extra crit chance/damage while aiming" mods.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
Anyone on PS4 got a spare Atlantis Vulcan mod?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Maybe the reason I hate the Tonkor is I already had a Penta :v: Thanks for the advice though, I'll try crit stuff.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

You can also just run into a pack, shoot the ground, and rocket jump out as everything around you dies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also you missed out on the glory days of Tonkor trolling when they would bounce other players around too.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
While we're talking Crit builds, what should I be putting into the last spot on my Soma Prime?

A) Heavy Caliber
B) Hammershot
C) Critical Delay
D) Rifle Ammo Mutation (Dont pick this)

Too many choices and Im too tired to do math.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Try them all out and go with whichever feels good to you.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Fine, I'll forma my Tonkor for a critbuild. Anyone have their setup on hand so I know which mods to use/obtain? I was right about not having Adhesive Blast.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Kris xK posted:

While we're talking Crit builds, what should I be putting into the last spot on my Soma Prime?

A) Heavy Caliber
B) Hammershot
C) Critical Delay

Heavy Caliber is going to make it do waaaay more damage than any of the alternatives, and soma is accurate enough the penalty is pretty minor.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Put heavy caliber on everything, if you're good enough at luck it's gonna hit something anyway, might not be the target you aimed for though :getin:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Kris xK posted:

A) Heavy Caliber
B) Hammershot
C) Critical Delay

Drop Argon Scope, pop in 2 90% elemental mods.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Datamined drop tables for Moon Spy

Kris xK posted:

A) Heavy Caliber
B) Hammershot
C) Critical Delay

Here's some guys doing the math on this question .

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

drat. So my plan of getting a High Noon by way of repeated Spy missions is a bad one, then.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Woop, more fashionframe.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The only thing tempting me into Conclave is Fashionframe :(

All the weapon skins are so loving juicy and sweet, and there's several that would suit the Wraith type weapons whose terrible color scheme makes them totally unusable

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The only thing tempting me to do Conclave is that Syandana, and even that isn't enough. Unless we want to put together a group to game the system :v: Wouldn't be the first time goons have ruined things.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Don't tempt me to do conclave for skins, this is not a path I'm ready to go down

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The only thing tempting me to do Conclave is that Syandana, and even that isn't enough. Unless we want to put together a group to game the system :v: Wouldn't be the first time goons have ruined things.

FFA dailies need 2 people to cheese, the rest needs 3 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritonsils
Sep 14, 2007

For. Eh. Ver.
gently caress that conclave kronen skin looks awesome. No, NO, this cannot happen. gently caress you for making me even consider doing conclave nonsense.