Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thanks, I think I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's this issue with Pushbullet? It's been fine for me except not being able to get the encryption to work.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
They charge monthly for notification actions and most people don't use them enough to justify the cost even if they're pretty drat handy. You're also limited to 100 messages/month without paying $5/month($40/year), when something like Join is a flat fee of $5 for both those things.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh right. I've obviously never got close to that limit as I didn't know that at all.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Is there a language learning app that isn't bubblegum garbage like duolingo? I'm specifically looking for Dutch right now but I'll take any suggestions

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's wrong with Duolingo? It's been really effective for me, up to an intermediate level anyway. Obviously people have different learning styles but I don't know what 'bubblegum garbage' means

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Defenestration posted:

Is there a language learning app that isn't bubblegum garbage like duolingo? I'm specifically looking for Dutch right now but I'll take any suggestions

What's wrong with duolingo? It's a great supplement to have in addition to any language course you are taking. I also just started using Memrise - that app may be more up your alley.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Defenestration posted:

"bubblegum garbage" is not a good description of what you don't like about duolingo for anyone to give you any suggestions for anything else.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

come on guys obviously he is trying to learn english as well

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I will be more specific: I would like a language app that actually requires me to learn word lists and conjugations rather than game a multiple choice test for brownie points. I'd like more I have to type in the answer rather than which of these four words most looks like the latin root ok I'll pick that.

I am not currently taking a class because they are expensive and I am just interested in gaining a few hundred words for tourism purposes.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Defenestration posted:

I will be more specific: I would like a language app that actually requires me to learn word lists and conjugations rather than game a multiple choice test for brownie points. I'd like more I have to type in the answer rather than which of these four words most looks like the latin root ok I'll pick that.

I am not currently taking a class because they are expensive and I am just interested in gaining a few hundred words for tourism purposes.

I used duolingo a few months before going to Nicaragua. The repetition is what helps. It is just a flash card based way of learning vocabulary basically, I didn't learn any real grammar. I'm not sure any of these work well w/o a class, they are mostly all going to be just vocabulary building, not conversational. I still can't speak Spanish, but I can point and say a noun. Someone that I had meet said she enjoyed babble more, but she was a Spanish major (from Germany).

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Defenestration posted:

FWIW, language acquisition usually doesn't work through memorizing lists and conjugations, which is why you won't really see that in some programs like Pimsleur. Children don't usually learn language this way after all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Defenestration posted:

If you're only getting multiple choice questions then something's up. Generally there's

• Multiple choice word recognition from pictures
  • Free translate a word into the foreign language
  • Multiple choice translation into the foreign language (tests recognition and identifying multiple valid readings which is an important thing to train)
  • Dictation, transcribing the foreign language sentence you hear
  • Translate a sentence into the foreign language
  • Microphone stuff I don't really use

It definitely starts off easy and gets a lot more advanced, with more things like 'what's this a picture of' in the beginning which give way to things like conditionals and subjunctive and various tenses later. You can also drill a certain category when you've completed it, or just 'build your strength' overall which randomly picks material you haven't seen in a while

The app is a little lighter than the browser version, yeah - there's no free sentence translation like on the desktop (you translate a sentence by choosing words in a correct order), which I'm guessing might be something to do with making it work offline actually there's both. The desktop client is definitely better - you can do free translation, there's a timed practice (which is great for getting your brain thinking quickly in the language), and the 'immersion' stuff is what you want after you've finished the tree - translating and reviewing articles, basically. But the app is great and they do add features, like now you can access the comments on each question if you want some background on some element of it

The gamification is basically motivational, you can pretty much ignore all that if you don't care about streaks or lingots, which are basically useless apart from opening bonus categories and taking fluency tests (I think?) You'll never be short of them, put it that way

Your experience might depend on the language too, some of the newer ones are community-developed - I'm doing Swedish and the creators did a great job, but I don't know how the Dutch one is. And yeah maybe it's not for everyone, but I learned more Spanish on there in a few months than 3 years of high school, so it's definitely worth trying - especially in a browser, if you can do that sometimes. Something like Memrise would be better for purely memorising vocab, but that's a companion to learning the language

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 18, 2016

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

BottleKnight posted:

Oh my gosh, switch to pocket casts. You won't have a problem and it will be a lot prettier.

Yeah, PocketCasts is much easier on the battery for some reason. One thing I miss though is the ability to start playback when a BlueTooth connection is established. Apparently there is a Tasker recipe for that, but I'm yet to try it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

I still can't speak Spanish, but I can point and say a noun.

This is also how deong speaks English.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Someone made a Google Play Music Desktop player that has some more features than the website:

http://www.googleplaymusicdesktopplayer.com/

Looks like it takes the website and puts it in a nice wrapper so it can support some additional stuff, like themes and hotkeys. It's pretty nice, and I'll be using this until google breaks it in some horrible way.

Thank you, this looks grrrreat! I've wanted something like this forever.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

for those using join, does it mirror incoming calls and provide the ability to reject or answer the call? pushbullet does but it doesn't seem to work for me with join

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

for those using join, does it mirror incoming calls and provide the ability to reject or answer the call? pushbullet does but it doesn't seem to work for me with join

You know that you have to enable the apps you want mirrored and have set the phone app to do so, correct?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

You know that you have to enable the apps you want mirrored and have set the phone app to do so, correct?

yes, I had it enabled for phone but not phone call management :cripes: it works now

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a LG G4. I want to make it so when I'm on work WiFi or home WiFi my data is disabled.

I'm not rooted nor do I want to do that. What's the best way of doing it? I tried llama but it states I need root to toggle data.. Hoping that's not the case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You shouldn't need to disable your data; the phone should use the WiFi for data rather than your cellular service. If it's not doing that, then something's wrong with your phone (blame LG probably).

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

hooah posted:

You shouldn't need to disable your data; the phone should use the WiFi for data rather than your cellular service. If it's not doing that, then something's wrong with your phone (blame LG probably).

Thanks for the reply but the question still stands

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Can you not just draw down the notification shade twice (or with two fingers etc), tap the mobile signal icon and toggle data on/off?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

But you already answered your own question. You're not rooted and you don't want to be, but without root, you can not automate the data toggle or airplane mode. Maybe if you explained why you are trying to do this, someone could figure out a workaround.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

But you already answered your own question. You're not rooted and you don't want to be, but without root, you can not automate the data toggle or airplane mode. Maybe if you explained why you are trying to do this, someone could figure out a workaround.

I've had my phone use data when I'm on WiFi. Turns out I may have lost connection at work and I was streaming music most of the day. I'd rather just have data off when at home and at work so that doesn't happen again.

Tasker won't let me do it either so I guess I can't .

Maybe something that alerts my watch or something when I go back to data. That would be helpful too.

Also I sometimes forget to turn data off and on through the notification panel so I'd rather automate it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've had my phone use data when I'm on WiFi. Turns out I may have lost connection at work and I was streaming music most of the day. I'd rather just have data off when at home and at work so that doesn't happen again.

Maybe something that alerts my watch or something when I go back to data. That would be helpful too.

Also I sometimes forget to turn data off and on through the notification panel so I'd rather automate it

For obvious security reasons apps can't access these kinds of system level functions without root. What you're trying to do isn't possible.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I think you can do this with an nfc tag, but you'll need to touch the tag to do it so I'm not sure if that's any better than just toggling the data off on your own.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the help guys. I guess it's me just remembering to turn it off. Kind of frustrating that I can't task it to turn off data.

Maybe I should look into rooting it? Wonder how hard it is for a G4.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do you stream music away from home or work? If not, maybe your music app has a a setting to only stream over wifi. Google Play Music does.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

Do you stream music away from home or work? If not, maybe your music app has a a setting to only stream over wifi. Google Play Music does.

Yeah it's Spotify. I'll check. And I saw that I can root but honestly I'm really not into that poo poo anymore.

Again thanks for all your support guys.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Speaking of streaming and music, what exactly does GPM download when you tell it to download a radio station? Does it just download the first few tracks of the 'playlist' it makes, does it refresh what it downloads now and then, etc.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah it's Spotify. I'll check. And I saw that I can root but honestly I'm really not into that poo poo anymore.

Again thanks for all your support guys.

Spotify has an offline mode.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Require More Fire posted:

Speaking of streaming and music, what exactly does GPM download when you tell it to download a radio station? Does it just download the first few tracks of the 'playlist' it makes, does it refresh what it downloads now and then, etc.

I'm pretty sure a radio station is just a 25 song playlist, but I'm not 100% on that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

Spotify has an offline mode.

Absolutely. What's annoying is if I want to download a new playlist I have to go online, download, then go back offline. Can't the "offline" just be for music streaming

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Have you tried the ITTT app? http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ifttt.ifttt&hl=en

There are premade recipes for it or you can make your own. Like Tasker.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Have you tried the ITTT app? http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ifttt.ifttt&hl=en

There are premade recipes for it or you can make your own. Like Tasker.

Can I turn off data when in a certain location?

Edit : it will send you a notification to remind you. Kinda close.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Can I turn off data when in a certain location?

Edit : it will send you a notification to remind you. Kinda close.

Might as well just create a repeating reminder (assuming you work regular hours) at that point. No reason to install extra apps to do it. poo poo, do it in your work calendar and avoid adding stuff to your personal device.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Google has changed how Chrome handles tabs by default.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/17/11254658/chrome-android-tabs-no-longer-grouped-with-apps-by-default

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

Might as well just create a repeating reminder (assuming you work regular hours) at that point. No reason to install extra apps to do it. poo poo, do it in your work calendar and avoid adding stuff to your personal device.

Nah. Work hours are random.

Appreciate the advice. Put Spotify on offline mode and will leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if this is related to whatever plans they have for supporting side-by-side tabs on N. Because currently that isn't possible and it feels like a gaping omission so I'd imagine they are going to add it.