Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like Sneasel was my fav Gen 2 pokemon and yet he couldn't use any of the stabs and it made me so sad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's more baffling that Dark was Special type and yet all the attacks were variations of biting or beating people up

Oh yeah.

Literally every existing dark type attack became physical in Gen IV. They had to invent Dark Pulse to actually have a special Dark type attack lol.

Ghost all being physical at least makes a kind of sense since in Gen 1 the only ghost attack that used stats was Lick.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I want to make a team of 6 level 5 pokemon I never get to use and start a fresh save with them but so far I've only thought of dark typed pokemon and I don't want to have a team of all dark types because I'm obsessed with having variety/type coverage.

e: I guess dark was special since it was supposed to be like evil energy / to oppose psychic? But yeah, none of the early moves gel with that, haha.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 14, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zore posted:

Gen II is loving baffling.

Gen II's gym leaders baffle me more than anything.

Let's start with a Flying type gym leader...but not give him any of the new flyers.
We'll follow it up with a Bug gym that doesn't use any of the numerous new Bugs.
Two gyms later we get a Ghost gym who's lacking the sole new Ghost type.
And that gets followed up by a Fighting gym who doesn't have any of the new Fighting types!
Then after THAT, a Steel gym where the leader only has Gen I Pokemon or evolutions of Gen I Pokemon.

Oh and Dark type? No gym for you. Not now, not ever!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Oxyclean posted:

I want to make a team of 6 level 5 pokemon I never get to use and start a fresh save with them but so far I've only thought of dark typed pokemon and I don't want to have a team of all dark types because I'm obsessed with having variety/type coverage.

e: I guess dark was special since it was supposed to be like evil energy / to oppose psychic? But yeah, none of the early moves gel with that, haha.

Dark is just dirty fighting, biting, sucker punches and the like.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Oxyclean posted:

I guess dark was special since it was supposed to be like evil energy / to oppose psychic? But yeah, none of the early moves gel with that, haha.

I just saw it as dark magic in gen II and III to justify its Special classification. Even though we all know they only made it Special because Ghost was already designated physical in gen I and they didn't want to change that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also: Ghost finally gets a move worth using, except it's a TM in the pre-infinite-use eras. So you'd better choose loving wisely.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kurieg posted:

Also: Ghost finally gets a move worth using, except it's a TM in the pre-infinite-use eras. So you'd better choose loving wisely.

Also everything gets it, and almost everything physical wants it for coverage. Like Snorlax.

It is also totally useless for all ghost types.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dexie posted:

Let's start with a Flying type gym leader...but not give him any of the new flyers.
We'll follow it up with a Bug gym that doesn't use any of the numerous new Bugs.
And that gets followed up by a Fighting gym who doesn't have any of the new Fighting types!
Then after THAT, a Steel gym where the leader only has Gen I Pokemon or evolutions of Gen I Pokemon.

Agreed. They were trying to fill in for the types that didn't get gyms, but were seriously running out of ideas there, especially for the rarer types.

You'd think they could at least toss in a Butterfree or something to break up the endless Pidgey in Falkner's place and Bugsy a Heracross because a gym leader using a Metapod is just shameful. Johto was kind of a mess overall, really. As much as I generally dislike Hoenn, it was the point where the designers seemed to start really getting the hang of things instead of just throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of baffling, a hidden ability legendary bird distribution only in three specific European countries, on different dates, not even back to back, through three wildly different methods, one of which involves you going to a convention. And you get *one* of the birds, at random.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dabir posted:

Speaking of baffling, a hidden ability legendary bird distribution only in three specific European countries, on different dates, not even back to back, through three wildly different methods, one of which involves you going to a convention. And you get *one* of the birds, at random.

Still better than how you get them in-game in Gen 6.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zore posted:

Ghost all being physical at least makes a kind of sense since in Gen 1 the only ghost attack that used stats was Lick.

And then proceeded to have Shadow Ball lower Special Defense despite it being a Physical type move and thus being entirely pointless.

Strange Quark posted:

Still better than how you get them in-game in Gen 6.

Yeah whoever came up with that idea is awful. I'm not even opposed to the idea of you not being able to capture it right away the first time you see it, and having it run to the sea cave, but come on, TEN times? Two or three would have been fine!

False Blue
Jul 22, 2015

Dexie posted:

One of the biggest problems is that the Johto leaders only have two or three pokemon. Only Claire and Morty have four, but both of them repeat a pokemon (Claire has two dragonairs, Morty has two Haunters).

Falkner's lineup suffers from coming too early in the game, but he should have at least had a Hoothoot. Bugsy should have at least featured spinarak and ledyba's lines, and then had a heracross as his signature pokemon. It's a shame, because I really like the Johto region and the leaders themselves had a lot of potential.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Got a shiny Sandshrew while EV horde grinding. :3: this shiny charm thing really works.

Replaying Red and you know, even though a lot of the Pokemon were hilariously off model or poorly drawn, they had much more interesting poses. It's depressing how in later games they all just kind of...stand there.

Cloyster is a perfect example. His shell is opening up the wrong way, but he's in a really cool perspective pose.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I miss Geodude being a dude.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

False Blue posted:

One of the biggest problems is that the Johto leaders only have two or three pokemon. Only Claire and Morty have four, but both of them repeat a pokemon (Claire has two dragonairs, Morty has two Haunters).

Falkner's lineup suffers from coming too early in the game, but he should have at least had a Hoothoot. Bugsy should have at least featured spinarak and ledyba's lines, and then had a heracross as his signature pokemon. It's a shame, because I really like the Johto region and the leaders themselves had a lot of potential.

Falkner could have used Hoothoot and Ledyba or Hoppip, hell, they could have even thrown a Yanma or Togetic in there, or saved him for later in the game and given him a Skarmory. Bugsy could have used Spinarak, Ledyba, Heracross, Pineco, Shuckle, and Yanma. Morty should have used Misdreavus and Chuck had his pick of Heracross and Hitmontop.

Like, they had TONS of options (Forretress for Jasmine!), but they didn't use any of them. It confuses the hell out of me, it really does.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I am sad. Having missed the Mew giveaway, I've been tossing various legends on the GTS in hopes of attracting someone who might have a spare Mew. No such luck, and as it turns out, the Celebi from the anniversary giveaway "is a special pokemon - it can't be traded!" ... I'm assuming/hoping that refers only to the GTS and wondertrade.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

BlazetheInferno posted:

I am sad. Having missed the Mew giveaway, I've been tossing various legends on the GTS in hopes of attracting someone who might have a spare Mew. No such luck, and as it turns out, the Celebi from the anniversary giveaway "is a special pokemon - it can't be traded!" ... I'm assuming/hoping that refers only to the GTS and wondertrade.

It does.

Get a Mew from various trade boards or, if you don't mind waiting, do the Mew glitch in the virtual console RBY games and Pokebank it for gen 7 later.

Never rely on WT or the GTS for literally anything

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
Hey I was wondering if anyone could spare any eggs for me to replay Pokemon X with? My friend code is 0645-5756-7939.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zonekeeper posted:

Dammit. :doh: Stupid forgettable middle evolutions. My point about Remoraid still stands. (Yes I know that the logic is supposed to be pistol fish -> octopus cannon, but it's a loving vertebrate that turns into a mollusk.)

I don't think Quilfish evolves.....

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

BlazetheInferno posted:

Don't give up, I just got a shiny Mew today from the GTS in exchange for my Heatran.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

Quincytbb posted:

Hey I was wondering if anyone could spare any eggs for me to replay Pokemon X with? My friend code is 0645-5756-7939.

I got an egg for you!
FC: 2878-9758-7818 IGN Jelly

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

Jelly Omelettle posted:

I got an egg for you!
FC: 2878-9758-7818 IGN Jelly

Thanks alot! If anyone else has any eggs they wont mind getting rid of ill be available for the next few hours.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Quincytbb posted:

Thanks alot! If anyone else has any eggs they wont mind getting rid of ill be available for the next few hours.

FC: 4699-7268-4756 Compulsive

I got eggs whic I can't even remember which is which.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
For the pokemon download event thing that's apparently going on, I read that some are "available at gamestop."

Does that mean countries without them are out of luck, then?

e: Aw I missed mew.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Quincytbb posted:

I have an egg if you want one. 2895 - 9068 - 6799 (Schmidt)

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

Thanks everyone, so far I have a bronzor, a druddigon, and a female nidoran. This is fun looking team, I cant wait to see what else I'll get.

Isen
Jun 2, 2013

Quincytbb posted:

Thanks everyone, so far I have a bronzor, a druddigon, and a female nidoran. This is fun looking team, I cant wait to see what else I'll get.

I've got one more egg for you if you want it. 2423-3987-4499 Talon or Grompf I have no idea how account names work.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Bugsy's Syther is one of the most memorable gym battles. Unless you start with the fire starter like a bitch.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

Isen posted:

I've got one more egg for you if you want it. 2423-3987-4499 Talon or Grompf I have no idea how account names work.

Sure thing, the more the merrier! I'll be online for the next hour.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I have an egg for you.

2492-4125-5104

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
After all 2015 hype (VGC, Pokken, getting his own website) I really hope Sun/Moon give us Mega Machamp.

A long time ago I even designed a concept of what it's stats should be like, with it's ability being Stance Change (no, I have not gone insane, bear with me).

It just ticks me off that some of it's Pokedex entries state that he has mastered EVERY martial art in existence, has 4 arms, yet his ability No Guard (while awesome) makes every hit against him connect. Did he skip Judo lessons!?

So Stance Change with his Mega will make him work a bit like Aegislash, with a more Physically and Specially Defensive stance and a Physically offensive and Speedier stance.

Give him a new move called "Close Guard" or "Parry" or something that works like King's Shield triggering his switch into Defensive Stance and causing any contact move blocked to lower the opponent's evasion by 2 stages making his emblematic Dynamic Punch still a viable move on his set, allowing setup with Bulk Up in Defensive Stance, and more fun combinations that do not always get insta-shutdown by Will o' Wisp

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Quincytbb posted:

I have one if you want, don't know what it is though

1375-8302-1020
Andy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So I've been out of the game for a bit, but I've been replaying Red recently and it's starting to draw me back in. Are there any regular goon matches going on these days?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So I've been out of the game for a bit, but I've been replaying Red recently and it's starting to draw me back in. Are there any regular goon matches going on these days?

I had stopped doing them because interest severely died down. I don't believe anybody else is doing them at the moment.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Bugsy's Syther is one of the most memorable gym battles. Unless you start with the fire starter like a bitch.

and then it got loving u-turn

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

This checks out, I always get cyndaquil because I love that firey little hedgehog and I don't remember Bugsy at all.

Edit: Ahahaha I just looked him up, he had a metapod AND a Kakuna! Jesus he's a gym leader at least let him have a Beedrill and a Butterfree.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 15, 2016

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This checks out, I always get cyndaquil because I love that firey little hedgehog and I don't remember Bugsy at all.

Edit: Ahahaha I just looked him up, he had a metapod AND a Kaukuna! Jesus he's a gym leader at least let him have a Beedrill and a Butterfree.

At least the anime made the Metapod worthwhile by letting it catch people offguard with "HOLY gently caress IT CAN MOVE" and it actually being decently strong.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Edit: Ahahaha I just looked him up, he had a metapod AND a Kaukuna! Jesus he's a gym leader at least let him have a Beedrill and a Butterfree.

Or any of Johto's other half-dozen new bugs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

At least cloning TMs was dirt easy.

• Locked thread