Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
If you have the time, KEH does 30% off accessories here and there, nice time to grab one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
jim by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

IMG_7425 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

dakana fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 14, 2016

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Was really surprised with how well even ISO 4000+ shots can come out with today's sensors. There was barely enough light for me to even focus.

Relax by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Daytona Beach, FL by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 12, 2016

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Nameless Dread posted:

Was really surprised with how well even ISO 4000+ shots can come out with today's sensors. There was barely enough light for me to even focus.

Relax by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Daytona Beach, FL by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

These are awesome!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Something different than what I normally do.

_51B8395-2 by David Franco, on Flickr

Did a lot of color combinations

Untitled by David Franco, on Flickr

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Top middle one is the best for colour combo imo

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I like these

Amy by David Franco, on Flickr

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Took a few pictures on Sat before Sunset. Couldn't get the light meter in time so I just metered with trail and error. First time with softbox outside and and Capture One actually. I am trying to apply for this company internal photographer job so I spent a lot time in post.

Critique and comment please :)

Those choppers looked like military variants btw.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Her skin looks dead/purple/pink in #1 and #3. Not so much in #2. Its really shiny like she is greasy/sweaty in all 3.

But #4 looks good.

One is a huey/superhuey the other is a cobra.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iSheep posted:

Her skin looks dead/purple/pink in #1 and #3. Not so much in #2. Its really shiny like she is greasy/sweaty in all 3.

But #4 looks good.

One is a huey/superhuey the other is a cobra.

Yeah I got to work on the angle of the softbox. I am thinking I should get one bigger than 16x16", but they are so floppy in the wind.

What do huey/cobra mean?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Choppers.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

You need to gel your flash to match the temperature of the sun, the color balance is hosed up in all of those

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fart Car '97 posted:

You need to gel your flash to match the temperature of the sun, the color balance is hosed up in all of those

Can you gel it with the orange plastic gel in front of the speedlight?

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
The quality of light and position of it are not flattering. You're shooting at the golden hour and then have some harsh on-center lighting that contrasts with it heavily. If the background allows, you could rotate around her so they sun is your key light and you're using the strobe as a rim light. If not, look into doing rembrant, beauty, or loop light so you're sculpting her features rather than flattening.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

whatever7 posted:

Can you gel it with the orange plastic gel in front of the speedlight?

Yes, that's how you would do it.

If you have the raw files, you can also try setting the white balance to cloudy or shade. That will provide an orange-ish color temp on your subject. The sunlight portions will be even more orange, but the color temps in the image overall will look more believable.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yes, that's how you would do it.

If you have the raw files, you can also try setting the white balance to cloudy or shade. That will provide an orange-ish color temp on your subject. The sunlight portions will be even more orange, but the color temps in the image overall will look more believable.

Thanks for the tips, I will play around in the raw converter.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ant mouth posted:

The quality of light and position of it are not flattering. You're shooting at the golden hour and then have some harsh on-center lighting that contrasts with it heavily. If the background allows, you could rotate around her so they sun is your key light and you're using the strobe as a rim light. If not, look into doing rembrant, beauty, or loop light so you're sculpting her features rather than flattening.

Would a bigger softbox help? Can I add another layer of white fabric in the softbox to make the light softer? Thanks

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
What you have is likely fine. Work more on the position of it first. Put it higher, roughly a 45 to the model, and have it so if they reach out with their arm extended, they could touch it. The closer it is will increase your falloff and spread out the highlights.

Like a poster above pointed out, the harshness is also due to your model's oily skin. Makeup or simply a clean towel to knock that back a bit would help too.

If those don't work, a bigger soft box and more diffusion would help but I'm more of the philosophy to work with what you got find its limitations and go from there.

Edit: Or just bare bulb that poo poo and make it sassy as gently caress.

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 15, 2016

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah size/quality of light is not your current stumbling block

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ant mouth posted:

bare bulb that poo poo and make it sassy as gently caress.

mods???

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

No mods, bare bulb.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Last one from this session

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
First time trying any portrait stuff with a dude, went a bit darker.

Dark by bang3rachi, on Flickr

widunder
May 2, 2002
Shooting candid portraits at a tournament with a manual 100mm is hard.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Bang3r posted:

This is really cool. Did you do any burning on the left shoulder though? There's a patch of darkness that looks kind of weird.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Bang3r posted:

I really, really like this.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

Subyng posted:

This is really cool. Did you do any burning on the left shoulder though? There's a patch of darkness that looks kind of weird.

The only bit of burning I did was on the back of his neck near his hairline where he was sunburnt so it looked like a really bright patch but I didn't touch his shoulder, I can see what you mean now though.

Thanks guys!

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Bang3r posted:

The only bit of burning I did was on the back of his neck near his hairline where he was sunburnt so it looked like a really bright patch but I didn't touch his shoulder, I can see what you mean now though.

Thanks guys!

How did you light it?

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

thetzar posted:

How did you light it?

Big gridded stripbox to the left and behind of the model (for the rim light, which is probably causing that weird shadow) then another strip box behind camera to the right for fill.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Bang3r posted:

Big gridded stripbox to the left and behind of the model (for the rim light, which is probably causing that weird shadow) then another strip box behind camera to the right for fill.

Awesome. As a devotee of stripboxes, I applaud their use here.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
My homage to David Octavius Hill. 8x10 Paper negative, toned print.

Lenny the Deckhand by Jason, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

McMadCow posted:

My homage to David Octavius Hill. 8x10 Paper negative, toned print.

Lenny the Deckhand by Jason, on Flickr

Very dope.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A couple recent people.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
One more, trying to steal Bang3r's light.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
that rules

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Portrait goons.

I did a couple indoor shoots over the weekend and would like to hear your comments

Questions, do you guys think my fill light (on my right) is too strong or it's ok.

And is there a tutorial on what kind of background is suitable for different portraits? I looked around and I only see videos on how to make cloudish backgrounds in Photoshop. There must be more sophisticated ways to make tailor made backgrounds.

Also all other comments are welcome please

Thank you.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I think they are just boring flat portraits that look like they came from the mall.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Shoot with a real background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Also a MUA helps if you know someone (looking at the older man's haircut)