Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
My Grave Robbers keep dying. :(

Am I not using them right? I generally keep them in the back and have them fling daggers and poison darts.

Admittedly I lost the first one in a full team-wipe because I understimated the difficulty hike at veteran dungeons and the second one was one of those 'back to back crits+bleed' #JustDarkestDungeonThings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
What sort of parties are you putting them in? They're fragile but dodgy so they appreciate consistently being topped off by a Vestal, and parties with a Man-at-Arms or Houndmaster are also helpful to drop an emergency guard on them if they get DD'd. They also like characters who can stun the front like Hellions or Bounty Hunters, since they're often going to be splattering a fragile back-row stresser with Thrown Dagger and don't want to get beaten up by melee mobs.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

My Grave Robbers live in row 3, in parties that can annihilate the back rows on the first turn. Without Bone Arbalests or Cult Priestesses to worry about, not much is going to reach them. Even Pelagic assholes can only get at them with Spearfishing. The only thing that really threatens them is packs of spiders or dogs that get the drop on you.

I don't bother with Shadow Fade or Lunge, just sit them there hucking daggers and picking dudes in the face. Their rare trinket has a big pile of Dodge on it that makes them hard to hit, and if they get in trouble you can Toxin Trickery into another big pile of Dodge. Of course, Dodge-y characters are dependent on keeping the battle under your control and ending it before you get a bad roll, because bad rolls gently caress them up way worse than big HP or PROT characters.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I've owned the game for a couple days, and restarted after a disastrous initial attempt. Forewarned, forearmed, etc. What's are recommended parties/resolve levels for fighting the Apprentice Necromancer? I've got the bog-standard Crusader/Highwayman/Plague Doctor/Vestal party that I'm carefully raising, plus a Leper and I think, a Bounty Hunter almost at level 2.

On a related note, how viable is a Highwayman focused on Melee? I've got his Dodge to 28 with trinkets but there's a nasty penalty to ranged attacks.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rangpur posted:

I've owned the game for a couple days, and restarted after a disastrous initial attempt. Forewarned, forearmed, etc. What's are recommended parties/resolve levels for fighting the Apprentice Necromancer? I've got the bog-standard Crusader/Highwayman/Plague Doctor/Vestal party that I'm carefully raising, plus a Leper and I think, a Bounty Hunter almost at level 2.
You should be fine with lv1-2 guys as long as they have their skills and weapons/armor upgraded at least a rank or two. Give it a go, and don't bring the Leper (it probably won't hurt you if you do though).

Rangpur posted:

On a related note, how viable is a Highwayman focused on Melee? I've got his Dodge to 28 with trinkets but there's a nasty penalty to ranged attacks.
Before the last patch, terrible. Now, Wicked Slice and Duelist's Advance are crazy good, and both count as melee. He's extremely viable, just bear in mind Point Blank Shot will lose accuracy/damage from those trinkets because it's ranged, so maybe stick to Wicked Slice instead.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Rangpur posted:

I've got the bog-standard Crusader/Highwayman/Plague Doctor/Vestal party that I'm carefully raising, plus a Leper and I think, a Bounty Hunter almost at level 2.

fill your roster and level everyone as evenly as you can. also dont restart thats a really dumb thing to do.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Kly posted:

fill your roster and level everyone as evenly as you can. also *dont restart* thats a really dumb thing to do.

This is important, and something everyone doesn't get when they first start. Your Hamlet is your character, your dudes are just weapons/armor that you upgrade and replace throughout the adventure.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Unwise_Cashew posted:

This is important, and something everyone doesn't get when they first start. Your Hamlet is your character, your dudes are just weapons/armor that you upgrade and replace throughout the adventure.

The only way to lose the game is by winning the game.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I just had the game autoupdate to the new patch, and man is it nice to have heirlooms available in all dungeons. As is not needing an absurd amount of deeds to upgrade the blacksmith.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

I don't bother with Shadow Fade or Lunge

:stare:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Even if you prefer to hang back and lob daggers rather than lunge every chance you get (which is an absolutely valid choice with a GR), shadow fade comes with a ridiculous dodge buff that makes it very worthwhile as an opener.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

He makes all variants of the Flesh trivial, and that justifies his existence.

Plague doctor's plague bomb does the same overall damage so this isn't really a huge selling point, you also get the added bonus of double stun capability and blight/bleed curing. The only way he would edge out a PD's damage is if you consider the hit damage from the harry, and even then you're fighting misses and resists. I don't consider that with the PD because the PD trinket with +acc + stun and +blight exists and doesn't seem terribly difficult to get.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Question: what are the standard party compositions now? All these new classes are hard to process.

Where do abominations fit in?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Question: what are the standard party compositions now? All these new classes are hard to process.

They fit in pretty well in rank 3 :v:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Way too many for me to think up but a pretty standard mark party would be like

Arbalest / Occultist / Houndmaster / Bounty Hunter

Mark with the Occultist or the HM depending on Speed and enemy Prot. HM and BH can stun.

An Abomination-friendly party that works well could be something along the lines of

Plague Doctor / Occultist / Abomination / Hellion

Positions 2/3 are better for Aboms because their untransformed moves work best there and in position 2 they can use basically every move in either state.

A position-dancing party could be something like

Vestal / GR or HWY or Crusader / GR or HWY or Crusader / Man-at-Arms

Idea being to use Lunge, Duelist's Advance, or Holy Lance to murder the back row and Rampart to push the MaA back up to the front so they can do it again next round. Thrown Dagger, Wicked Slice, and Smite or Inspiring Cry are options if you don't want/need movement.

A good Leper-friendly party would be something like

Plague Doctor / Vestal / Leper or Crusader / Hellion or Leper

PD stuns the back and you smash the front (or if using a Hellion pick something off in the back while the Leper/Crusader AoEs the front to set up a second turn finish), second turn use the other PD stun to clear corpses and smash up the rest.

These are all just examples though, there's a lot of good valid combinations.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Abominations are almost always best in Rank 2 so that they can use both untransformed and transformed abilities and also constantly heal themselves. IIRC you can't use Rake from Rank 3 so it's best to put him in rank 2. In rank 1 untransformed he can only use one of his abilities so unless you plan on keeping him transformed every fight he's better off in rank 2.

Untransformed his chain smash is an incredible stunning ability that also has fairly competitive damage for a rank 2 and also has a pretty good blight. The heal is incredible if he takes a good beating from stress and hp loss.

Transformed the abomination has unparalleled damage but takes constant stress damage. Untransforming however heals him so he can keep himself healthy from fight to fight.

He fits really well with Plague Doctor, Man at Arms, Hellion, Jester, and Occultist. Another frontliner with good damage and some way to stun/mitigate the backlines makes quick work of most fights. Anyone that can provide him buffs to his damage can also augment him to great effect vs. tough fights and bosses.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Minor point: I recommend starting the vestal in slot 2 and the robbers in 3-4 if you're going double robber. Saves the MaA from being required to use his forward move in round 1 (though you'll often want to anyway).

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I knowwwwww but I tend to be really dumb with movement skills and forget to put people back in order. I can barely remember to scoot my Jester back if I use his Dirk Stab or my MaA if I use his stun.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What, if anything, triggers the Seeker's appearance? I ran into it during what was supposed to be a Short room battle quest. Just fuckin' showed up out of nowhere with a trio of ghosts. Actually beat him, even though it took forever with Houndmaster as my only character who could reliably hit all the way in back. If I have to fight something like that on the regular, it would be nice if I got a better reward than a lousy 2500 gold.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I never had seen the heirloom trade and swap function in any patches but man, that is one fantastic option to have. That and the coach upgrades definitely were the best ways to solve the eternal riddle of "cant stand the late game grinds"

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I knowwwwww but I tend to be really dumb with movement skills and forget to put people back in order. I can barely remember to scoot my Jester back if I use his Dirk Stab or my MaA if I use his stun.

I wish there was an option to auto-reorder your party after each encounter. Needing to do it manually after every fight is one reason I usually roll with static groups.

Yes, I'm lazy as gently caress why do you ask?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rangpur posted:

What, if anything, triggers the Seeker's appearance? I ran into it during what was supposed to be a Short room battle quest. Just fuckin' showed up out of nowhere with a trio of ghosts. Actually beat him, even though it took forever with Houndmaster as my only character who could reliably hit all the way in back. If I have to fight something like that on the regular, it would be nice if I got a better reward than a lousy 2500 gold.
The Collector seems to just have a 5% chance to replace any hallway encounter; people have said it's tied to inventory but I've not seen anything in the moddable files that suggests that. Shamblers also have a chance of spawning as hallway battles, but only at 0 light (even 1 point of light prevents it). Room battles will never be the Collector/Shambler.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I never had seen the heirloom trade and swap function in any patches but man, that is one fantastic option to have. That and the coach upgrades definitely were the best ways to solve the eternal riddle of "cant stand the late game grinds"
There is actually a hidden benefit to the new coach upgrade they didn't document, which is that if you wipe a DD party the next group of heroes will have even higher-level guys available. The week-to-week only goes as high as lv3, but after a wipe you'll see lv5-6 replacements instead.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Rangpur posted:

If you want an easier time, Vestal, Graverobber, Houndmaster and Man At Arms/Hellion/Crusader is the best comp. This comp does it all, I prefer Hellion here personally, but this general comp is basically unstoppable. PD can swap in for houndmaster, particularly if you have a Crusader so you don't miss out on stress heals.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

The Collector seems to just have a 5% chance to replace any hallway encounter; people have said it's tied to inventory but I've not seen anything in the moddable files that suggests that. Shamblers also have a chance of spawning as hallway battles, but only at 0 light (even 1 point of light prevents it). Room battles will never be the Collector/Shambler.

There is actually a hidden benefit to the new coach upgrade they didn't document, which is that if you wipe a DD party the next group of heroes will have even higher-level guys available. The week-to-week only goes as high as lv3, but after a wipe you'll see lv5-6 replacements instead.

The inventory speculation is based on the tag ".inventory_valid_item_percent_range 0.65 1.0" in the encounter data for the collector fight. No idea what the significance of it actually is.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Appreciated, but the Red Hook lineup turned him into Necromancer cutlets. It may have helped that there were a grand total of 2 necessary battles between the entrance and the boss. I just camped right outside the last room then stomped him flat. What's generally considered the next easiest boss? I'm only a couple quests away from unlocking the first tier of all the others.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Appreciated, but the Red Hook lineup turned him into Necromancer cutlets. It may have helped that there were a grand total of 2 necessary battles between the entrance and the boss. I just camped right outside the last room then stomped him flat. What's generally considered the next easiest boss? I'm only a couple quests away from unlocking the first tier of all the others.

Both the Wealds bosses are pretty easy if you know what you're doing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

The Pounder is an awful fight, even if it is predictable and relatively safe compared to other bosses.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

I think it is obvious at this point that I do not. What's this 'both' nonsense? I figured it was just the one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rangpur posted:

I think it is obvious at this point that I do not. What's this 'both' nonsense? I figured it was just the one.

Every area has two bosses. The second Ruins boss can be pretty nasty though, so watch out. For basically every non-necromancer boss, you should probably send in a somewhat disposable scout team if you're unwilling to spoil yourself. Most of the fights aren't fair if you aren't forewarned tbh.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think the Siren is probably the next easiest, even without knowing how to cheese it. Out of all the first tier bosses, the Flesh was the only one that actually killed people for me. Those back-row blight attacks are real fuckers.

Most bosses can be cheesed if you're willing to spoil yourself, though the Brigand Pounder can still be a pain in the rear end if you miss one too many times.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

If you have good burst damage the pounders pretty easy you just need to kill the matchman every time he spawns and the less people you need to make that happen in one turn the better so you can keep dps on the cannon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Every area has two bosses. The second Ruins boss can be pretty nasty though, so watch out. For basically every non-necromancer boss, you should probably send in a somewhat disposable scout team if you're unwilling to spoil yourself. Most of the fights aren't fair if you aren't forewarned tbh.

A combination of spammed weakening curse and hand of light render the Prophet completely irrelevant at all levels of play.

edit: The same thing makes the Swine prince pretty easy, too.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 16, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

A combination of spammed weakening curse and hand of light render the Prophet completely irrelevant at all levels of play.

I haven't gotten around to leveling my Occultist, but I'll give it a shot.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

Most of the fights aren't fair if you aren't forewarned tbh.

lol this isnt even remotely true. All the apprentice bosses are pretty easy and beatable blind with any team you could clear an apprentice level medium dungeon with.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A.o.D. posted:

The third prophet fight he resisted my occultist's weakening curse, landed a crit for like 38, and killed the occultist with eye on you before he could move again. I wouldn't screw around in the prophet fight (although at both other levels he was cake and I could farm the first two pews)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

The third prophet fight he resisted my occultist's weakening curse, landed a crit for like 38, and killed the occultist with eye on you before he could move again. I wouldn't screw around in the prophet fight (although at both other levels he was cake and I could farm the first two pews)

At Champion levels you MUST bring +ability trinkets. +Stun if your strategy is to stun, +debuff if your strategy is to debuff. Using the demon's cauldron guarantees that your debuffs will work against the Prophet so long as you hit, and the profane scroll is mandatory for any rank 2 vestal (which is the only way you're bringing a debuff vestal).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kly posted:

lol this isnt even remotely true. All the apprentice bosses are pretty easy and beatable blind with any team you could clear an apprentice level medium dungeon with.

I'm sure you would have a great time fighting Pounder or Prophet with a two melee+vestal team :rolleyes:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm sure you would have a great time fighting Pounder or Prophet with a two melee+vestal team :rolleyes:

2 Vestals targetting the match man with judgement and/or stun works okay, and two frontline melee work quite well, especially if one or both are lepers. Hew works WONDERS against the cannon fight.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

2 Vestals targetting the match man with judgement and/or stun works okay, and two frontline melee work quite well, especially if one or both are lepers. Hew works WONDERS against the cannon fight.

I was more talking about running into Prophet with Man-at-Arms, Crusader, Ranged Highwayman, and Vestal, which is what I did before I started spoiling myself. My point is that no, you can't expect to fight most bosses going in blind with just any team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

I was more talking about running into Prophet with Man-at-Arms, Crusader, Ranged Highwayman, and Vestal, which is what I did before I started spoiling myself. My point is that no, you can't expect to fight most bosses going in blind with just any team.

At apprentice, you can make that work, as the MAA can cover weakened characters that get marked while the Vestal (barely) keeps up with the heals. Meanwhile, the highwayman plinks away at the screaming rear end in a top hat while the crusader slowly works his way through the pews. It's a tough fight at apprentice, but doable.

GUESS HOW I KNOW THIS

GO AHEAD

GUESS

I did every boss fight unspoilered the first time through. This one was the hardest for me at apprentice