Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
clint eastwood talking to a chair might even have a chance against Hillary this time around. they really hosed up their vetting process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

DeusExMachinima posted:

loving rekt

Anyone who votes for Trump deserves to have their jobs exported as far away as possible. They've proven themselves unworthy of the dignity of adult things.

Anyone who joys in exporting jobs deserves to wake up to President Donald Trump elected by the angry unemployed.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

have any of you actually done opioids? they're fuckin great

Fuckin' yeah they are. That's why they're illegal.

The irony of rich people making fun of poor people for drug addiction is pretty ironic, considering it's white people of all classes that are experiencing a huge increase in drug abuse. The rich people just get purer stuff, like Heroin, while poor people have to settle for poo poo like meth.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

Fuckin' yeah they are. That's why they're illegal.

The irony of rich people making fun of poor people for drug addiction is pretty ironic, considering it's white people of all classes that are experiencing a huge increase in drug abuse. The rich people just get purer stuff, like Heroin, while poor people have to settle for poo poo like meth.

The irony isn't lost on them, in fact they're already trying to skirt the consequences they lobbied for

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Drug addiction is a horrible thing and I have a deep disdain for anyone who treats it, or has treated it, as a criminal justice problem.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The only moral drug addiction is my drug addiction?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just as an FYI, there's an opioid discussion thread here where we talk about the societal and personal impact of opioids.

We welcome your thoughts and contributions! :)

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

Stereotype posted:

Drug addiction is a horrible thing and I have a deep disdain for anyone who treats it, or has treated it, as a criminal justice problem.

drug policy is going to be one of those "Wow, What the gently caress Were These People Thinking" moments in the history books a century from now

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stereotype posted:

Drug courts are pretty neat though. Helps people deal with their addition in exchange for reduced punishment for crimes committed due to addiction like theft. They're not easy though. Not in the slightest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TwinsensRevenge posted:

drug policy is going to be one of those "Wow, What the gently caress Were These People Thinking" moments in the history books a century from now

Certain drugs, unless poor and/or non-white people predominantly use them.

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

Drug courts are pretty neat though. Helps people deal with their addition in exchange for reduced punishment for crimes committed due to addiction like theft. They're not easy though. Not in the slightest.

drug courts often enforce total abstinence or jail time, which is completely looney tunes since relapsing is a natural part of the treatment process

they are well-intentioned but because they come from a criminal justice perspective they don't effectively treat it as a health issue

TwinsensRevenge fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 15, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Drug courts also costs thousands of dollars to get expunged from someone's record a crime that really probably shouldn't be a crime at all, like a couple grams of weed

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FCKGW posted:

Old man yells at chair sounds so much more benign than orange man yells at immigrants.
I loving love the oral history of that which notes that a Romney staffer started puking about a minute into the whole charade. Poor guy unskewed his lunch all over the green room trash bin.

In a stunning turn of events, Donald Trump rips off his hairpiece during the final moments of the last presidential debate to reveal Andy Kauffman underneath. It was all a postmodern bit, and America fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TwinsensRevenge posted:

drug courts often enforce total abstinence or jail time, which is completely looney tunes since relapsing is a natural part of the treatment process

they are well-intentioned but because they come from a criminal justice perspective they don't effectively treat it as a health issue

Everyone in my fiance's drug court relapses. The court expects it. The jail time comes in when people aren't owning up to it. Use and tell someone and it's only being set back in the program.

It's about half way between purely punitive and treating addiction like a disease. The problem with the disease part is the person's still accountable for crimes convicted of other than using/possession. Like theft.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Within the last couple of weeks, The Clinton v. Trump polls all have her winning by double-digit popular vote margins, and the Sanders v. Trump polls are forecasting an electoral blowout that hasn't been seen since Walter Mondale.

What is the real chance that the Dems retake the Senate or the House if Trump is at the top of the GOP ticket? Every Republican up for election in a swing state must be sweating uncontrollably when they look at polls like that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

VirtualStranger posted:

Within the last couple of weeks, The Clinton v. Trump polls all have her winning by double-digit popular vote margins, and the Sanders v. Trump polls are forecasting an electoral blowout that hasn't been seen since Walter Mondale.

What is the real chance that the Dems retake the Senate or the House if Trump is at the top of the GOP ticket? Every Republican up for election in a swing state must be sweating uncontrollably when they look at polls like that.

Senate being at least a tie is looking like it has a decent change even without Trump on the ticket since most of the R senators up for reelection were riding the tea party wave in 2010.

House is where poo poo gets bleak since that probably won't get fixed until the next census.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

VirtualStranger posted:

iirc it'll be basically impossible for dems to retake the House until the next census, since representatives are numbered in proportion to the state's population. They'll make some modest gains, maybe.

The Senate's more interesting, but Dems would need to do like you're suggesting and win in big margins to retake it (hell, I guess I wouldn't call that unlikely by this point!). They'll probably tie or get within a stone's throw of the Republicans, at least.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 15, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TwinsensRevenge posted:

:agreed:

Content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZLAT7BY_s

Our next American President. :911:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Question from a non-American. Given...

quote:

House is where poo poo gets bleak since that probably won't get fixed until the next census.

... how did that come to be the case? If it takes a census to change things, and things are hosed and Bad, did things get hosed with the last census? If so, can you actually rely on the next census to unfuck things? If not, then by what mechanism cometh the loving?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DemeaninDemon posted:

This is extortion, which is, like, the opposite of "pretty neat."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FilthyImp posted:

In a stunning turn of events, Donald Trump rips off his hairpiece during the final moments of the last presidential debate to reveal Andy Kauffman underneath. It was all a postmodern bit, and America fell for it hook, line and sinker.
Or Lex Luthor

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The Crotch posted:

... how did that come to be the case? If it takes a census to change things, and things are hosed and Bad, did things get hosed with the last census? If so, can you actually rely on the next census to unfuck things? If not, then by what mechanism cometh the loving?

The last census coincided with the 2010 tea party wave. Democrats picked a really lovely year to not show up at the polls.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VirtualStranger posted:

What was the makeup of Congress like before and after the LBJ v Goldwater bout, and same with the Mondale v Reagan debacle?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This is extortion, which is, like, the opposite of "pretty neat."

How is that extortion? I know the x makes it cool but how?

Edit: remember they're still convicted of a crime worthy of prison time. That's a little more than getting caught using/possessing. I keep bringing up theft because that's the most common crime caused by addiction. Addicts steal to support their disease.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 15, 2016

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

What was the makeup of Congress like before and after the LBJ v Goldwater bout, and same with the Mondale v Reagan debacle?

Around 1984 and Mondale v. Reagan, Democrats sharply lost control of the Senate but managed to hold onto the House.

Around 1964 with Goldwater's loss to LBJ, Dems increased their control of both houses, though more with the House of Representatives than the Senate. By the end of LBJ's presidency Dem control of both houses was on a sharp decline which they then rebounded from.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 15, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Gerrymandering doesn't affect senate elections so the Dems have a real good shot at gaining back control. But the congressional electoral districts in tons of states are just completely hosed at the moment. So the Dems are surely set to gain some seats back but there's very little chance that they take back control of the House for at least another couple election cycles. 2024 should also be when we start seeing states such as Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, and Missouri turning blue.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 15, 2016

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'd welcome any move away from the current Republican dominance in Congress, tbh. Even small margins are better than no margins at all, which is good because there's no way the dems don't do better in the two houses than 2012.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Sometimes it's very hard not to be angry at white people when reading articles like this. Like now you care? Only now???

Yes, yes, not all white people, I know

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Man, I got seriously furious just reading this article. I'm incredibly glad that we're now starting to realize that jail is not the right approach for addiction, but like, an entire generation or two of black kids has basically been tossed aside until we got to that point, and even then the clarifying moment isn't "holy poo poo look at what we're doing to minorities in this country" but "white people got it now? maybe we should actually think about changing something".

I'm getting to the point where if someone found actual undeniable physical evidence that crack was introduced to black communities in the late 70's by the CIA, I'd be mildly shocked, but not at all surprised.

edit: I love that in the time it took me to read the other thread and formulate a response, someone else posted basically the same thing. People not being able to empathize with others who aren't of the same race doesn't surprise me, but it still elicits this reaction, every time.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Crotch posted:

Some other people mentioned it, but the other problem is the census is the trigger to redraw district lines. Because of our democracy's totally not insane belief that our elected officials should allowed to pick their constituents, the House is going to stay Red until some the damage can be reversed.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Crotch posted:

If the next census has any chance to unfuck our gerrymandered states, rest assured Republicans will do what they can to cripple the census process. This also goes for some Dems who could get ruined by redistricting.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The Crotch posted:

Congressional districts are drawn up the States, and the Dems have been losing State houses left and right. A lot of Democratic State parties are a joke, and some state elections happen in midterms and off years which in most places favors Republicans.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Edmund Lava posted:

Congressional districts are drawn up the States, and the Dems have been losing State houses left and right. A lot of Democratic State parties are a joke, and some state elections happen in midterms and off years which in most places favors Republicans.

Off-year elections are the dumbest loving things, but yes. One of the biggest problems is that districts are drawn by the states themselves (dumb) and we do not control the majority of state houses or governorships.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

If the next census has any chance to unfuck our gerrymandered states, rest assured Republicans will do what they can to cripple the census process. This also goes for some Dems who could get ruined by redistricting.

Maybe they'll finally add more Representatives...

I mean they won't, but I can dream about it at least.

Edmund Lava posted:

VA is even more fun as it elects in off-off years (that is, the odd years when there are no federal elections whatsoever). The VA Senate being a tie is a minor miracle.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
This is from a page ago, but:

Zachack posted:

I've been told that cocaine is really good though. That needs to be legalized so I can try it.

It is legal if you have a prescription. Cocaine is Schedule II, just like Ritalin and morphine.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I've had people 30 years older than me with kids and families try to sell me their tools to fund their hydrocodone habit. I've also had folks straight up try to sell me their prescriptions. It's always in a weird place too, like three stories up on the roof of an industrial building or in a catch pit. I can appreciate the hardships these folks experience but goddamn do I hate literally everything they stand for. I'd like it if poor people, poor white people included, got the attention they need but goddamn it is hard to ignore the fact that so many of the people I have had to interact with are straight up loving scum. It is sad.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I wonder what the donor class does tomorrow morning if Trump wins 4/5 states and Bernie wins 3 or 4 states to close the gap on Hillary. Do they official give up on the Republican side and put all their eggs in the Hillary basket? Hillary is a terrible campaigner and will likely continue to drive her poll numbers into the ground, and running attack against Bernie will likely backfire as it did with Trump.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

axeil posted:

Maybe they'll finally add more Representatives...

I mean they won't, but I can dream about it at least.

VA is even more fun as it elects in off-off years (that is, the odd years when there are no federal elections whatsoever). The VA Senate being a tie is a minor miracle.

Working as intended!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm getting to the point where if someone found actual undeniable physical evidence that crack was introduced to black communities in the late 70's by the CIA, I'd be mildly shocked, but not at all surprised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_involvement_in_Contra_cocaine_trafficking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

I wonder what the donor class does tomorrow morning if Trump wins 4/5 states and Bernie wins 3 or 4 states to close the gap on Hillary. Do they official give up on the Republican side and put all their eggs in the Hillary basket? Hillary is a terrible campaigner and will likely continue to drive her poll numbers into the ground, and running attack against Bernie will likely backfire as it did with Trump.

I don't think any of this is necessarily going to play out in the way described.

Bernie is absolutely not winning more than 3 states, even in the rosiest of predictions (FL and NC are totally for Hillary). Because these primaries are proportional, even if Bernie does win IL, OH, MO (and I'm really skeptical on that last one, too), they are going to be really close, while Clinton is gonna win by higher margins in FL and NC and will thus continue to increase her delegate lead over Sanders.

The GOP donor class is not going to defect to the Democratic side of things.

How are her poll numbers being driven into the ground?

How is running attack ads against Bernie going to backfire? He and Trump are not similar at all.

• Locked thread