Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The CR-V and Rav4 are definitely in the same class. But if they're super common and a used one would be cheap, maybe get that for your around town vehicle and make the Pathfinder the bush car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

A cheap set of mud terrains would transform that vehicle off-road, that and some more clearance from a lift kit

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I completely agree with Sharky. Skids/armor first, a few spare tires, preferably some decent offroad tires.

After that it's up to you but I'd include a spare alternator, some belts, coolant, spare axleshafts, fuses, headlamp bulbs, tire plug kit, at least a bicycle pump for filling tires, a valvestem kit (I've torn valvestems out of the wheel offroad before... that sucked) and critical sensors in my parts kit, along with a cheap toolset to install all of that. Any budget past that should go towards either traction aids (lockers, bridging ramps/truss if the roads get nasty) or a winch and high lift / farm jack. Why an alternator? They really don't like mud, it tends to nuke the bearings and brushes/sliprings in a hurry and nothing sucks like having a perfectly good truck 50 miles from bumfuckistan that can't run its electrical system anymore because the alt died and the battery followed it a few hours later.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So, bad technique or worst technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGtI35SPjTY

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Right technique but very wrong equipment. That line going taut sounded painful.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah, carry a snatch strap for a kinetic recovery. A recovery strap like that obviously worked this time but its not meant to be jerked like that and when it goes wrong it goes really wrong and will put a 100mph+ missile through your window because any part along the way can fail, from d-link, strap, hook, hitch, etc. Those usually want to have a heavy jacket placed over the line in the middle (when used correctly) to help dampen the energy when it goes wrong, and people shouldn't be standing around it. Also you usually want to pull as straight as possible but I understand in this case the idea is to get him out of the ditch and its low traction.

By the time the stuck truck had momentum the truck pulling had already completely stopped, meaning it was a bit useless after that. Not that it would matter because he had 2 Jeeps in his way right in front.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

people massively underestimate the amount of energy involved in a snatch recovery and just how badly it can go wrong- a 9m (30ft) long snatch strap with a spring constant of 20kn/m (4496lb/f) has a potential at maximum 20% stretch to have 36KN (8093lbf) of energy in it. Thats a poo poo tonne of energy to propel a 1kg, 4.75T bow shackle, (2.2lb, 10,500lb) towards your head at ~300kph (186mph)

Thats if my bourbon and beer numbed brain has got the maths right. Either way, your going to get hosed up if you do poo poo wrong.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
People underestimate how easy the install of a winch on a receiver hitch is these days and how incredibly easy they pull stuff out like this.

A couple thousand pounds of slow steady pulling force is infinitely more useful than a 30,000lb of 1/4second yank.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

People underestimate how easy the install of a winch on a receiver hitch is these days and how incredibly easy they pull stuff out like this.

A couple thousand pounds of slow steady pulling force is infinitely more useful than a 30,000lb of 1/4second yank.

It blows me away that people don't get this. Even a small, 3000-5000# winch on a snatch block is better than a recovery strap. No need for thousands of pounds of vehicle to be in uncontrolled motion, and if you've got a conveniently located tree and long extension cables, you don't even need to have your vehicle in the line of fire. Swap out the wire rope for synthetic line, and the safety factor is way WAY higher.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sharkytm posted:

It blows me away that people don't get this. Even a small, 3000-5000# winch on a snatch block is better than a recovery strap. No need for thousands of pounds of vehicle to be in uncontrolled motion, and if you've got a conveniently located tree and long extension cables, you don't even need to have your vehicle in the line of fire. Swap out the wire rope for synthetic line, and the safety factor is way WAY higher.

Yup, and if you have enough straps you can do some amazingly long recoveries. Above all, the most important thing to recoveries though, are communication, a pre job meeting/planning and someone to run the show who can see the big picture. The guy operating the winch and the guy in the stuck vehicle are NOT in the optimal place to be making decisions or evaluating risks.

Here is one I had a hand in a couple weeks back:

The truck on it's side weighed over 120,000lbs. I was the guy in the truck on it's side.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

Yup, and if you have enough straps you can do some amazingly long recoveries. Above all, the most important thing to recoveries though, are communication, a pre job meeting/planning and someone to run the show who can see the big picture. The guy operating the winch and the guy in the stuck vehicle are NOT in the optimal place to be making decisions or evaluating risks.

The truck on it's side weighed over 120,000lbs. I was the guy in the truck on it's side.
How scary was that when it went over? And what happened, if you can talk about it?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

I hope that turned out OK, and you aren't injured.

With a little ingenuity, and a spare snatch block, you can usually slide people out sideways from the situation depicted in the video. Just hook on to their on-road side, and use a tree to redirect the force down the road. A little wheel spin from them and a little winch power from you...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Essentially I met with an oncoming pickup who didn't want to move to his side of the narrow road far enough, so I had to hug the very edge of the soft shoulder. I kept the tractor on the road but the trailer ended up going down in. I fought it to keep it out but the trailer weight dragged me back into the ditch. Then it turned over once I was almost stopped. No injuries but getting out of a seatbelt and getting out of those trucks safely while it's on it's side is tough.

Also wasn't scared at all but thats mostly because i was distracted with trying to keep the truck upright. Hindsight 20/20 I should have steered into the ditch which I've always known to do, but muscle memory and survival reactions make it really tough to consciously drive a vehicle into a ditch.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 10, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It's becoming clear that I have a hard-on for 4x4 kei-cars.

My boss the other day mentioned "hey down on the beach I saw the *mini* version of that Pajero thing you like that they use at Dakar". I wasn't sure if he was mistaken so meant to google it, but then just today I see it driving down the road. Apparently it is/was indeed a thing:

Mitsubishi Pajero Mini, also known as the Nissan Kix.

I did some brief googling and it does get compared to the Suzuki Jimny, but the Jimney's solid axle and easy wrenchability make it the far more popular off-road option. The OP of the comparison thread was looking for mostly a road commuter vehicle with lightweight offroad capability though (in Canada) and posters replied that it'd probably be fine for that and possibly a slightly better road car.

That thread reminded me of the weird situation I'm in now, where after five years of being car-free in the US (but owning motorbikes) and two years overseas, I really don't know what I'd buy when I get to the US and live somewhere where I need a car. As much as I've been enjoying different 4x4 vehicles here in Africa, I really don't see myself doing a lot of offroad or even much rural driving off main highways back in the US. I'd feel a little goofy getting a good 4x4 rig that I wouldn't use for its intended purpose. Part of me says that'd be a good excuse to get a crossover and maybe rig it out a little just for fun, but I've come to hate crossovers here for being wannabe-rigs so that would take some getting over, and I'd still feel a bit weird putting a lift kit and snorkel on any car if I'd be mostly using it to drive around the Seattle area.

Or I could just forego any sense of shame and get something fun and trick it out just because:

UPDATE: and due to the budget crunch and the fact that we need to spend $1400 to repair the wrecked Chinese JAC POS that rolled over, since it belongs to a colleague, we haven't made any bush upgrades to our Pathfinder, and for the last couple trips we've left our truck at home and just hired some local yahoo in a Toyota Corolla to ferry us up through six hours of bad roads. Figure we might as well let someone else jack up their suspension rather than risk the Pathfinder since it's our only truck right now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There is a Pajero Mini that lives near my office. It is the cutest little thing, I want to squeeze its cheeks and drive over people's lawns with it while honking a jaunty tune.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There is a Pajero Mini that lives near my office. It is the cutest little thing, I want to squeeze its cheeks and drive over people's lawns with it while honking a jaunty tune.

I just want one of those 260hp mivec engines out of the late model big ones. If it wasn't such a PITA I would try and cram one in my 98'

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
TTFA: just buy a landcruiser. bullshit tiny car-based 4wds will fall apart & are poo poo

Picked up my Landcruiser today after having some bits fabbed up and installed for the winch housing, I figured I may as well get the snorkel installed at the same time since I was going to be out of town and not have time to do it. Looks good, poo poo myself at the price. Gotta buy me an arc welder.... Spooled up the new dyneema winch rope also. Still gotta get around to re-installing the bash plates for under the winch housing and radiator etc but the mods to the winch housing look to have improved the approach angle a fair bit.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert...

Actually, significantly North of Barstow right around Ballarat. Yes, this area was the last known home of the Manson family and my friend and I had always wanted to follow in Bugliosi's footsteps and go investigate. We loaded ten gallons of water/five gallons fuel/3lbs raw meat/36 beers/1 bottle each whisky + tequila/three nights of firewood/two boxes .45ACP & a full assortment of Beach Boys/Beatles/Family Jams albums into my old XJ and fled Los Angeles for the sanity of Death Valley.

We topped off the tank in Trona and headed north down into Panamint Valley, where I was able to test out some new (junkyard ZJ) steering components in the Jeep by flooring it down a long grade and pegging out the speedometer at 85mph - she held steady and before too long we were on dirt heading into Ballarat, a worthless little mining supply town largely put on the map because of Charles Manson.

Ballarat is a vaguely living meth ghost town with a single "General Store", but legend has it that the Mansons left an old Powerwagon or somesuch crashed out there when it broke down. We quickly located the old thing, took a few photos and got the hell out because there was a freaky old dude giving me a straight deathglare from across the dusty street.

Take the well-graded road 17 miles south from Ballarat

We came across some old bones

Jeeps like yours have passed this way before and they were nothing....

Seventeen miles south of Ballarat you will find the mouth of Goler Wash - a lovely place to park your pretty new Tacoma

Load up some old Manson tunes for the atmosphValley of Death and I'll find you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dibxfgOTmrI

Keep on driving up the wash - this is the reverse route Inyo County Sheriff's hauled Manson back out after they raided Barker Ranch and arrested him for vandalism/grand theft auto (they had no idea he was involved in the Tate/LaBianca murders at that time). Going off old photos, the route was little more than a 4x4 track up the wash at the time, but it's currently well-maintained by a mining group. The notorious "waterfall" at the entrance has been covered in gravel and is easily done in any SUV.

The canyon walls were lined with cactus sentinels

Winds were roaring through here

Charlie and the gang rocked dune buggies, but lacking the budget provided by stolen credit cards we made due with my old XJ

Yours Truly

you say you've got a real solution; well, you know, we'd all love to see the plan

We came up on the Barker Ranch and dropped a shitload of acid parked up front and took some photos

The corner bathroom they allegedly caught Charlie in

Ranch Stuff

Time to get the gently caress out of this weird trashed place:

The sun was setting and we didn't want to camp out at the Ranch because, well, the whole area is a huge Garbage Dump and frankly too gross to camp around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GC2ubGjkiM

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 15, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

We left the Ranch with Garbage Dump playing loudly on the Jeep's stereo and went searching for a spot to camp out that didn't feel like it might have bodies beneath somewhere. Just around the corner and up a road we thought might have a bit of a refuge, we found the actual garbage dump...

The dopest armored Jeep oilpan I ever did see

After realizing there was nothing clean or hip about the Barker Ranch, we went a bit further up the Goler Wash road and found a nice existing spot by the road to set up the fire and cook dinner/get ready for Mengel Pass the next morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLMrFiVdVYs

Right about sunset the sky got dark and settled in to remind us that this was in fact high desert altitude in winter

About 10PM a huge light rose up to the North and bore down on us with extreme speed - at first I thought perhaps Vegas was exploding, or maybe the last remnants of the Family was heading up for a seance. After watching the Close Encounters Of a Third Kind set roll towards us for a few minutes, it turned out to be a brand-new Rubicon with a huge lightbar setup. It rolled up next to our firepit and a voice yelled "I hope you guys are having a beautiful night!!. It was a couple of guys out of Vegas who had come up Mengel Pass in the dark, and were looking for the Barker Ranch/a place to sleep. They had no tent, no map, and gleefully asked me where the closest place to buy gas was. After instructing them on the Right Path (and insisting they take a photo of my topo map), they took the wrong road up a hill and disappeared, music blasting.

They reappeared much as they had left; music blasting and asking for directions as I crawled out of my tent crosseyed the next morning. A storm had definitely settled in around us, and we packed up without breakfast and headed up the road to tackle Mengel Pass. There are three roads considered most difficult in Death Valley National Park: Steel Pass, Lippincott and Mengel Pass.

We got up to Mengel in 4Hi with a bit of cautious driving, and stopped at the top where the cairn is. It was cold as gently caress and either sleeting or hailing, depending on your definition of icy rain hitting you sideways. Unfortunately my gopro footage got corrupted somewhere so all I have is photos. The tough section wasn't all that bad; my friend spotted me down and aside from having to stand on the awful XJ brakes in 4lo the whole way we made it without issue.

Mengel Pass Cairn in the storm:

Road down...

Looking up at the rough part (hard to show how steep it was)

The old XJ made it down happily

After that it was easy rocky sailing down into Butte Valley

Burros

Coming out down the Warm Springs road a rental Jeep with a nice family pulled aside to let us pass - when we stopped next to them and rolled down our windows to chat about road conditions, they waved frantically and continued past with their windows locked up... at this point we realized we looked crazy and were probably the locals someone had warned them about...

Shortly after we got down into Death Valley proper, and checked out the #superbloom #awesome I had seen written/hashtagged in pencil at a prior primitive guestbook.

We exited the Park south, via the Harry Wade road, and found a spot to camp in BLM land between DVNP and Ft. Irwin

The next morning we took a strange road back out to the highway and got to see a last few sights before returning to pavement

In conclusion - as one of the girls said when asked how Manson got a schoolbus to the Ranch : "Charlie flew the bus there."

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 15, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone here wheel an H2 or H3 or have any advice on one vs the other? I've been considering picking one up as a toy and would want to set it up to do some light off-roading. I've always been a Chevy guy and daily drive a Tahoe right now, but the plan would be to get one of the two Hummer models and daily drive a car of some sort.

I don't see as many H3's for sale, they don't seem to be priced as low, and I very rarely see one with the V8 as opposed to the i5.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone here wheel an H2 or H3 or have any advice on one vs the other? I've been considering picking one up as a toy and would want to set it up to do some light off-roading. I've always been a Chevy guy and daily drive a Tahoe right now, but the plan would be to get one of the two Hummer models and daily drive a car of some sort.

I don't see as many H3's for sale, they don't seem to be priced as low, and I very rarely see one with the V8 as opposed to the i5.

Nooooooo don't do that. If you want to wheel a Hummer at least get an H1.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Bob Morales posted:

H2's are bad and H3's are worse. I had several H3's through my shop in Missouri and they were all garbage vehicles that can't handle the slightest break in maintenance without making GBS threads the bed.

That being said I think you lose roughly half the climbing/offroading ability going from H2 to H3 (which is already a fat pig compared to the h1) and in exchange you get something like 6 cubic feet of storage space.

On the other hand the H1 is a beast and nothing looks or feels like it is your way once you fire up the turbo diesel be it Prius or speedboat parked too close to your driveway. Medians and landscaping are things for you to traverse with no worries. "Can I go that way?" Becomes an obsolete question.

If you don't hate money the land cruiser is a super off road vehicle with really deep aftermarket support and will cost way less in both cash money and dignity lost compared to 2nd-3rd gen hummers as long as you don't go crazy. No matter where you live you should have them in any flavor from mild to spicy

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

"Charlie flew the bus there."
This looks like so much fun and I really need to get out and wheel, soon.

Nice trip!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bob Morales posted:

You already drive an H2/H3, it just isn't a big ugly gaudy boxy piece of poo poo that will make everyone around you think you have a tiny dick or a need to flaunt your income.

Surplus HMMWV, H1, or bust.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Put the hummer wheels on an XJ

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

You already drive an H2/H3, it just isn't a big ugly gaudy boxy piece of poo poo that will make everyone around you think you have a tiny dick or a need to flaunt your income.

Surplus HMMWV, H1, or bust.

H1: 3 tons of awesome.
H2: tahoe
H3: colorado.

that said, 3/4-ton your tahoe and wheel it, Or do what everyone said and get a H1.

I've worked on H2s. Don't do it dude.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Interesting, didn't know they based the later ones on Colorados.

IMO it's basically like being That Guy at the carshow with the fierrari. Everyone knows you're a poser and wishes you just left the fiero how it was, because they were kinda cool cars on their own.

Tahoes and Colorados are fine vehicles and actually probably fit down 4-wheeling trails better than H2s/H3s.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I do feel that the pickup truck version of the H3 would make for a decent prerunner type platform.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert...

Awesome trip & photos! Sooner or later I hope to find myself in the LA area with a free couple of days and a modest budget. I'm going to have to keep your trip in mind when that happens.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Bob Morales posted:

I've wheeled all 3 [well more considering different variants] . I own an H1 and Jeep JK, and will probably buy either an H2 Adventure or a H3T Alpha Adventure down the road when the time comes. I want to get into the offroad fabrication business so the extra 4x4's will be a business expense :v:

You are right on the H3T's being a bit harder to find than the other models. When Hummer production was announced to be stopped, the H3T's pretty much sold out overnight and the Alpha model [V8] in particular pretty much became a collector car overnight.

The upshot is most of the used hummers out there are pavement queens, which means you will get something that is in relatively great shape, with hopefully minimal catch up maintenance to perform. The H2/H3 has been offered in 3 general configurations. Standard, Luxury and Adventure. All have rear lockers, standard would be base interior/options package. Luxury will/may have air ride, more entertainment options, leather, etc. Adventure ditches the air ride, and give you a standard factory front locker and an air compressor on the H2. Most sellers screw up the options, so the best way to check to see if it's a Adventure series is to look at the transfer case buttons and see if there is a front and rear locker buttons.

Get any adventure model and drop in some aftermarket upgrades [kryptionite tie rods, aluminum radiator, rocker panel sliders and extended undercarrage protection].

If I got an H2/SUT It would be something like my friends:

Adventure series, rocker sliders from Gobi I think, 37" tires, upgraded tie rods and radiator and a gobi roof rack. He followed me everywhere on the trails.

For an H3T something like this:

Another friends H3T Alpha, he went with a 4" suspension lift, fox bypass shocks, 37" tires, and did a SAS swap on the front. Nice rig. I would have left the front IFS but that's just me :)

That being said, our group has a mix of H1's 2's and 3's, plus FJ's and Jeeps and recently a new power wagon, and no real model stuck out as NOT being capable.

I'm not totally sure on the I5's, I never had an issue about them, and coming from 6.2/6.5 H1's, an I5 is preppy enough for me on the highways, but I find a lot of owners wish that they purchased the Alpha branded V8 series just for the extra power/towing with the H3's. There's a few guys who blew their I5's, and one did a swap to a chevy 350 v8, and another did a I4 Cummins swap which was pretty dope. Always a fan of the diesel 4x4's.

Back to the I5 if you are concerned about any reliability issues, the 2007+ 3.7 may be an option over the 3.5 or just got for the V8's.

/edit

I think there was another options type added, the H2's have a Championship series options package in their last model year, championship referring to their Class 8 Baja win I guess, it's basically the luxury and adventure packages combined into one, either in red or blue, not many of those out there.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 21, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

*performs panicky, shallow chest compressions on thread* LIVE drat YOU

My coworker is vacationing in Japan and send me photos of mad fresh JDM 4x4 gear:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The zipties on the Suzuki "S" are the icing on the cake.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Anybody going to the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just put ag tires on my side by side! Either they will work awesome in the Alberta mud or be complete poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

I just put ag tires on my side by side! Either they will work awesome in the Alberta mud or be complete poo poo.

Pics.

If it doesn't work get some of those giant Bigfoot 7 military tractor tires.

Bound to work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

jonathan posted:

I'm scheming to put 25" ATV tires and wheels or 12" wheels and 6.00x12 ag tires on the Justy. Can't really justify much outlay on it though, at least till I get it running again.

e: these ones. http://www.millertire.com/products/tractor-tires/compact-tractor-tires/6-12/6-12-carlisle-farm-specialist/

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 13, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had 28" gorilla silverback tires on the Kawasaki Teryx I purchased in the summer. They were pretty amazing in the sticky mud and snow. But I sold that utv and got a new one

Then my buddy's distributor got a bunch of Vision brand wheels in stock because vision is going under.

So I picked up 5 brand new 15" wheels for $350. A good deal in Canada. But not a lot of brands offer tires for 15" wheels.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Took a quick run in and out on the easiest (out of three routes that are, at worst, just barely rougher than "easy") route into one of the local OHV areas. This thing is so much nicer with just 2" of lift, it's not even funny.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
What's the go-to recommendation for an inexpensive, handheld CB for trail use? I remember seeing Baofeng mentioned around here a while back, but... they don't appear to do CB? Is there a specific model that's recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I went with this:

Cobra HH 38 WX ST 4-Watt 40-Channel CB Radio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TKVD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_th8fxbHYN80JV

With this:

Cobra CBRHGA1500 36-Inch Base-Load Medium Magnet Mount 300W CB Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005N5X2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_li8fxbH4DBSD8

It's still a CB, but it's about as good as it gets. Consider 2m if you actually want to be able to reach people.