Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Obama on the campaign trail doesn't sound too different from Obama today when it comes to his pattern of speech. I'm not sure if he used "let me be clear" that much yet; that was a response to the right contorting his agenda and words. In town halls, he would frequently restate the question he just received so he'll get more time to think of how to answer a question. In 08, there was obviously catch phrases that were downplayed in 2012 like "yes we can" and "fired up and ready to go".

Hillary sounds a lot like how she sounded in '08, but with more coaching on social justice language. There was a lot of opposition research "you supported this or that in the Illinois senate". I distinctly remembered her taking flack for explicitly acknowledging her post-South Carolina defeat strategy was to rally white voters. And now her supporters are trying to pin that on Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

I think it's because he brings up Wall Street EVERY 5 SECONDS. No matter how irrelevant it is, or what question he's asked, he'll take a hard turn halfway through and yell "WALL STREET" really loud!!!

I like Bernie but as far as politicians with talking points go.... Bro, you're supposed to have more than one!!

His "one" is about an issue that basically pervades and dominates every facet of the country in one way or another, though. It's what makes the criticism so empty.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oh Snapple! posted:

His "one" is about an issue that basically pervades and dominates every facet of the country in one way or another, though. It's what makes the criticism so empty.

That doesn't make it the only issue though.

Like gas is an issue that pervades and dominates every facet of the country, but if you spent literally all your time saying "get off fossil fuels", even in topics that aren't easily related, people would call you out for that too.

Especially if you do poo poo like "the problem with police brutality is that we depend too much on fossil fuels".

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Yeah so Bernie definitely brings up Wall Street too much, and probably even more than other politicians bring up their talking points. But honestly it's like saying the Pacific Ocean has a ton of water when you're comparing to the Atlantic.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I still find it hilarious that Hillary inherited large swaths of the Obama coalition.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
The Trump Supporters segment is possibly the hardest I've cringed so far this year.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ted Cruz bit was funnier, but yeah...poo poo, man.

America, you did this to yourselves.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

ZoninSilver posted:

The Trump Supporters segment is possibly the hardest I've cringed so far this year.

I guess I'm jaded (hi, I turned 18 during Bill Clinton's first campaign), but the mere fact that there are excited young people with relatively uninformed support for their candidate is never news. Those panels were never my favorite bit on TDS, either, though.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ZoninSilver posted:

That was pretty rough for sure.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I guess I'm jaded (hi, I turned 18 during Bill Clinton's first campaign), but the mere fact that there are excited young people with relatively uninformed support for their candidate is never news. Those panels were never my favorite bit on TDS, either, though.

But they didn't have uninformed support, a lot of them were clearly informed, that was the point of the segment. It was about the appeal of Trump amongst the relatively informed.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oh god... that Trump bit. I say that was the best bit out of all the comedy shows regarding Trump so far, precisely because she cherrypicked the best and brightest of the pro-Trump camp. The nuanced idiots are always worse than the idiot idiots.

When Trump was inflicting pain on Jeb and the old guard of the GOP, it was a guilty pleasure. And I see everything I hate about myself in these people.

WHY AM I PERSECUTED?

Edit: If Stephen, John, Larry, Trevor, and Samantha all cover a specific gaffe, I guess it's a Bingo? I think they all went after Hillary's AIDS comments.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 16, 2016

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Periodiko posted:

But they didn't have uninformed support, a lot of them were clearly informed, that was the point of the segment. It was about the appeal of Trump amongst the relatively informed.

Selectively informed? They clearly knew his talking points but I didn't get the sense that they had really come to support him via reasoned analysis.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Even for the ostensibly sane ones, the reasoning is that Trump may hurt people, but I'm not one of those people, so whatever.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The thing about selectively informed people is you can see where they're coming from, but also where their rationality ends and irrationality begins. They're making excuses for Trump that Trump isn't even making himself. They assume some of the stuff he says is just pandering, and that he might he'll pull a 180 even though there's no real reason to believe so.

It's kind of like seeing normal people join Cutco or a cult or something. Their blind spots are kind of both willful yet invisible to them. It's frustrating.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

The thing about selectively informed people is you can see where they're coming from, but also where their rationality ends and irrationality begins. They're making excuses for Trump that Trump isn't even making himself. They assume some of the stuff he says is just pandering, and that he might he'll pull a 180 even though there's no real reason to believe so.

Yeah, I've heard that argument a few times from Trump supporters. "Oh, he's just lying to those other guys, but when he says the things I want to hear, he's telling the truth!"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Trump supporter bit just furthered my belief that all long-haired blonde ladies are innately conservative.

CNN, Fox News, this bit, it's a bunch of pretty blonde women saying horrendous things.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's weird when directly confronted how quickly they were reduced to spouting Trump's own catchphrases.

"What is your reaction to Mexico refusing to pay for a wall?"
"Trump said that wall just got 10 feet higher! :haw:"

Well...if nobody's paying for it then there IS no wall, so I'm not sure what they think his logic is supposed to be.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

The Trump supporter bit just furthered my belief that all long-haired blonde ladies are innately conservative.

CNN, Fox News, this bit, it's a bunch of pretty blonde women saying horrendous things.
pretty blonde dudes are flocking to Trump too. Dunno what it is about Aryans...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Loved the David Silverman at CPAC thing. What an incredible dickbag he is. And the fact that so many horrific young conservatives seemed to take to him is telling.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't remember if I said it before, but I love how angry and passionate Samantha Bee is, while still being hilarious. I was rarely a big fan of her bits on the Daily Show, but she's fast becoming my favorite of the various Daily Show spinoffs and successors. I guess I still prefer Jon Oliver's style of informative incredulity, but I wish he'd hedge less with his whole, "I know my audience isn't interested so I'll bribe you with cute things at the end" shtick, and just went full bore, "I care about this poo poo and it sucks," like Bee.

sticklefifer posted:

It's weird when directly confronted how quickly they were reduced to spouting Trump's own catchphrases.

"What is your reaction to Mexico refusing to pay for a wall?"
"Trump said that wall just got 10 feet higher! :haw:"

Well...if nobody's paying for it then there IS no wall, so I'm not sure what they think his logic is supposed to be.
I really wish they'd called that out.
"Aaand, the Mexicans still aren't paying for the wall. Now what?"
"..."

I guess it's just so inane that the natural human reaction is just pure flabbergast.

Also echoing the lack of love for the whole "Can you believe what his supporters believe?" panel style. I mean, if it was ever justified it would be with Trump supporters, but it's way too hard to make it clear that you're not just cherry picking the most outrageous things, which can make any candidate's supporters look bad.

I imagine Trump supporters are indeed a special kind of terrible, but that format isn't really evidence of that. And more importantly, it's just more embarrassing than funny to me, though that's obviously just a personal preference.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sam showed remarkable restraint in not pointing out that congresswoman Rape-is-cool's last name was "under man."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Rape kit bit was top tier Sam Bee. While John Oliver's show feels a little more well rounded, it's peak moments like that that have Sam as my fave right now. Also what the actual gently caress?

Majorian posted:

Loved the David Silverman at CPAC thing. What an incredible dickbag he is. And the fact that so many horrific young conservatives seemed to take to him is telling.
Um, I thought he seemed 90% reasonable. Is that bad?

Eiba posted:

Also echoing the lack of love for the whole "Can you believe what his supporters believe?" panel style. I mean, if it was ever justified it would be with Trump supporters, but it's way too hard to make it clear that you're not just cherry picking the most outrageous things, which can make any candidate's supporters look bad.

I imagine Trump supporters are indeed a special kind of terrible, but that format isn't really evidence of that. And more importantly, it's just more embarrassing than funny to me, though that's obviously just a personal preference.
Yeah, but it's funny when they say crazy poo poo. I see where you're coming from, but Sam isn't trying to present "evidence", she's not trying to convince people or be a journalist, she's doing a hilarious angry comedy show.

Like "it's way too hard to make it clear that you're not just cherry picking the most outrageous things" is not a thing that matters. To me, at least.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Really like the repeated calls to vote in non-Presidential elections, that's still the domain of old conservative people and the reason they still control everything below the White House.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

VagueRant posted:

Well, he had a great message that Republicans needed to reach out better to non-religious and not demonize them, but if he's pairing that by saying that religion is evil with absolutely no redeeming values and needs to be destroyed, it's a bit of a hard sell.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, but it's funny when they say crazy poo poo. I see where you're coming from, but Sam isn't trying to present "evidence", she's not trying to convince people or be a journalist, she's doing a hilarious angry comedy show.

Like "it's way too hard to make it clear that you're not just cherry picking the most outrageous things" is not a thing that matters. To me, at least.
Well, I mean, if you like "look at what dumb poo poo people on the street say" segments, yeah. This has all the appeal of that. And that's fine- not to my taste, but I get why people find it funny.

I guess the appeal of these kinds of shows to me is not just that they're funny, but that they have a point. They let me go, "haha, yeah, that's right!" Which is really fun. If the joke is making a bad point... that's a lot less fun for me and I tend to get hung up on that rather than just enjoying it.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah Silverman is an absolute douche. He reminds me of a high school version of myself. "Religion is stupid and you should feel stupid for believing it." I just don't have much patience for a white man complaining about being oppressed. He's one of those people who makes me not agree with my own opinions because of how arrogantly he presents them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Going up to people and telling them that their most-cherished beliefs are stupid and lies is kind of lovely. He doesn't strike me as someone who tolerates anyone believing differently from him.

e: So big surprise he found a (small) audience at CPAC!:haw:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 23, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, dude is just a mirror reflection of the intolerant religious they're complaining about persecuting atheists. Its totally fine for you to be an atheist. But being a total rear end in a top hat to people isn't going to win over too many people.

He just makes the "bless your heart" people seem totally reasonable because that's a nice way to deal with a douchebag who is insulting you.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
According to the page to get audience tickets, Full Frontal is picked up through January! Yay!

It's also off a couple weeks for Easter and the week after. Boo!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Mo0 posted:

According to the page to get audience tickets, Full Frontal is picked up through January! Yay!

It's also off a couple weeks for Easter and the week after. Boo!

Oh, nice. That seems like a lot of episodes!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I always found the archetypal "educated conservative" way more insufferable than the stereotypical uneducated conservative. And guess what? They're typically either neocons or free market fetishists.

"I hate Muslims for all the right reasons."

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

I always found the archetypal "educated conservative" way more insufferable than the stereotypical uneducated conservative. And guess what? They're typically either neocons or free market fetishists.

"I hate Muslims for all the right reasons."

Right, like at least if you're uneducated, we can chalk a lot of it up to ignorance and lack of exposure. It's once you've been through college and met people from different backgrounds and still decided to have lovely opinions that it becomes a big problem.

I remember even during college at an extremely progressive and small liberal arts school thinking that it was unreasonable for transgender persons to prefer the pronoun "they" to "it." But, you know, eventually I met enough trans people and had enough time to reflect and realize I was being obstinate and unkind. The same cannot necessarily be said of someone who lives his whole life in small-town Indiana for example. (I'm picking on Indiana because that's where I'm originally from.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Majorian posted:

Loved the David Silverman at CPAC thing.

I thought that was one of the weakest segments on the show so far. Why the German gimmick? What was that about? And the whole thing was kind of slow and dull and not very funny.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Tiggum posted:

I thought that was one of the weakest segments on the show so far. Why the German gimmick? What was that about? And the whole thing was kind of slow and dull and not very funny.

I thought it was better than the first time when they did it for Jeb Bush, but I don't totally understand the German gimmick, either.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tiggum posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Herzog

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Yeah if you don't get the joke about the filming style you're missing the best parts. I get that it'd be bewildering if you're totally unfamiliar with it though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It makes me sad this went over some people's heads.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

From that page;

Hate in America (upcoming) TV series documentary

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Really like the repeated calls to vote in non-Presidential elections, that's still the domain of old conservative people and the reason they still control everything below the White House.

"Obama's first mid-term defeat? Yeah, you built that." was spot on.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/FullFrontalSamB/status/695637067552788482

• Locked thread