Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sharkopath posted:

non.

Exclusivity periods are silly and just get in the way of discussion, in the same way that giant blocks of spoiler tags are.

Except all the spoiler tags take are a little bit of mouse-action. No one's saying you can't talk about it, just don't put it RIGHT beneath that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It doesn't matter if its right before or 10 pages after, its just a contextless image and not a spoiler.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

I like your av.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

would helck get upset about any of this? no

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I like your av.
Yeah, it's really good.

Much like this:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

would helck get upset about any of this? no

He'd get upset about what happened in this chapter.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It would be different if I had left dialogue in or more panels of a sequence that explicitly pointed out the nature and action of the scene that would reveal the chapter, but instead its just a cool picture that highlights how Helck's artist has a really good grasp of form and composition. I'm especially impressed by how by cutting the wings off at the panel edge and reintroducing them on the sides it makes them look massive and even surround the viewer, its a very dynamic panel of hyura in the shadow of one of the angels.

It's very cool panel.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The art is simple but the fundamentals are super strong, in Helck.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reached that "gently caress authority" phase, I see

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I like your av.

Thank you. It took me a very long time to decide which one to use.

Upside? I got to watch the ykk ovas again searching for something gif-able.

Also coffee. All the coffee.

And yeah, I'm not saying that it's not amazing art (it is) but it's just kinda a dick move, y'know? In the long run, is it a big deal? No.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

Reached that "gently caress authority" phase, I see

Fitting given the chapter.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

is it so much to ask, to follow the same discretion towards spoilers that the entire rest of the internet does

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

is it so much to ask, to follow the same discretion towards spoilers that the entire rest of the internet does

Non, contrariness is important.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Is it even a spoiler when the previous chapter straight-up spelled out this was gonna happen? The only twist is that it happened at the end of the chapter, not the beginning.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm gonna frame that bad boy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

don't post the last page of a new chapter

especially when you've been told by the mod not to before

especially at huge, table breaking size, which the mod has repeatedly told you not to do before

what is hard about this

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Oh hey the link for the new Helck!

*scrolls down*

Ack! People talking about what happens in the new Helck!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Internet spoiler culture, in general, is poisonous, paranoid, and overbearing, so there's definitely something to be said for being more relaxed and less fussy about spoiler. I myself don't particularly care about spoilers, and having important moments spoiled for me usually doesn't detract from my enjoyment of something.

That said, there's something to be said for people being able to check the thread for a series they're excited about, wondering if there's any word of an update, and not having an enormous, difficult to ignore, seemingly important scene thrust before their eyes before they're even had the chance to read it because someone else has decided for them that it's not a spoiler.

Have a little common courtesy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sharkopath posted:

The art is simple but the fundamentals are super strong, in Helck.

This is an exceedingly good thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh hey the link for the new Helck!

*scrolls down*

Ack! People talking about what happens in the new Helck!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shut up

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Internet spoiler culture, in general, is poisonous, paranoid, and overbearing, so there's definitely something to be said for being more relaxed and less fussy about spoiler. I myself don't particularly care about spoilers, and having important moments spoiled for me usually doesn't detract from my enjoyment of something.

That said, there's something to be said for people being able to check the thread for a series they're excited about, wondering if there's any word of an update, and not having an enormous, difficult to ignore, seemingly important scene thrust before their eyes before they're even had the chance to read it because someone else has decided for them that it's not a spoiler.

Have a little common courtesy.

Spoiler culture is bad and poisonous, but let's have some common courtesy and continue to perpetuate the myth of spoiler culture.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's not a scene, single panels without dialogue where all subjects aren't visible is the equivalent of promotional stills for film where somebody is ensconced in shadow.

A picture of piuy would also be a spoiler to a new reader if you proscribe to the idea that any image at all would negatively impact the virginal reading experience.

If you use common sense it's easy to determine what is too revealing instead of blindly fumbling about because you are afraid of the dastardly spoilers.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 15, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yo
Youre being a jerk.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yo
Youre being a jerk.

You'll have to use a more convincing argument if you want to convince me I am wrong on this point and concede.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Even Helck would not forgive Sharkopath

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Without davincie and burbo and me this thread wouldn't exist.

Y'all are the human kingdom in this scenario.

Whole main theme of the work is defiance, not compliance.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 15, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Actually we're the demon world and you coming in here posting unmarked spoilers wantonly is something only a filthy human could do

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sharkopath posted:

You'll have to use a more convincing argument if you want to convince me I am wrong on this point and concede.
You're obnoxious, condescending, and wholly disingenuous, someone who refuses to accept being told or asked not to do something because you think you're always right, a perfect example being you making a second post with the thing the mod edited out just because you can't stand that he stepped into your posting space and changed it when you don't agree with him. You're poo poo stirring for the sake of it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Actually we're the demon world and you coming in here posting unmarked spoilers wantonly is something only a filthy human could do

The tyranny of spoilers has destroyed the human world and we are here to punch it dead.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Remember the parable of the fallen kingdom of T'viv.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think there's any reason to use spoiler tags in a thread for an ongoing manga. If you're that worried about spoilers, why didn't you check for an update before clicking on the thread, especially if there's a bunch of new posts? Constantly limiting discussion because some people might not have read the latest chapter is really dumb. The only time I feel you should do somethin like that is something like a simulwatch, where some posters have seen the show before and others are watching it for the first time, or an anime/manga that's adapted from something else, where some posters have read the source material but others haven't.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

I don't think there's any reason to use spoiler tags in a thread for an ongoing manga. If you're that worried about spoilers, why didn't you check for an update before clicking on the thread, especially if there's a bunch of new posts? Constantly limiting discussion because some people might not have read the latest chapter is really dumb. The only time I feel you should do somethin like that is something like a simulwatch, where some posters have seen the show before and others are watching it for the first time, or an anime/manga that's adapted from something else, where some posters have read the source material but others haven't.

In the case of anime shows about manga adaptions I think you just shouldn't discuss the comic at all.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't know if my experience as a phone poster really helps, since the image can only be so big on my small screen. but uh, i get how people would dislike having that picture thrust at them because, viscerally, it inspires the same "SPOILER!" reaction in me that i'm sure it has others. i don't think that's a particularly good reaction to have though, and should probably be thought through rather than vomited into the world to perpetuate spoiler culture.

based on the content of what Sharky posted, the reaction here seems outsized :shrug:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Not because of potential spoilers, just because you should discuss the work on its own merits mainly and people constantly comparing it unfavorably to the source is annoying.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
After the update is announced you'd think it'd be common sense that anything following it would be a potential spoiler.

:shrug:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

It's a cool page and they'd been telegraphing what'd be happening pretty hard for 2 chapters. It could have easily been the cover page if the Helck artist didn't feel like making the cute one instead (which I'm thankful for). Like, Sharkopath could have posted that in the convince someone to read a manga in one page thread and would've been completely fine.

It also loses some impact as a really cool, intense scene when you don't get the full chapter lead up to it. So I agree it wasn't a spoiler, but a moment like that should be preserved for other people to appreciate it

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

In the case of anime shows about manga adaptions I think you just shouldn't discuss the comic at all.

Or the light novel. :troll:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

After the update is announced you'd think it'd be common sense that anything following it would be a potential spoiler.

:shrug:

to be fair, the update was first on 4chan and that link was posted in here. people might be checking the thread to see if one of the new posts is about there being a new chapter, rather than discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

to be fair, the update was first on 4chan and that link was posted in here. people might be checking the thread to see if one of the new posts is about there being a new chapter, rather than discussion.

Next time I'll wait until after the actual chapter is up on batoto, thanks to the good arguments posted in this discussion that convinced me of some failures in my reasoning.

• Locked thread