Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I like the head belt thing. Good job dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

hi liter posted:

Are we still doing this?

after about 6.5 years and a bunch of misfires, got my shodan!

Congrats, way to go!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

hi liter posted:

Are we still doing this?

Congrats!!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Congrats!!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congrats!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congratulations!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

hi liter posted:

Are we still doing this?

congrats! weren't you ranked top 20 in your weight class for US judo a couple years ago?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks friends. Yea I was ranked a while ago, but -100kg in the USA I'm pretty sure could be won by a skilled Japanese high schooler/mid range college player.

It feels good to never have to worry about ranks or promotions anymore, I can just train now without getting questioned for sandbagging my belt.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

hi liter posted:

Are we still doing this?

Congrats man!

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
So I bought Ribeiro's Jiu-jitsu University last weekend, and the first two sections (white and blue belt) really helped my game. I'm doing morning classes which seems to bring out the real hardcore guys, and the defensive and escape stuff I've read so far meant I was frustrating and tiring guys twice my size/ more experienced than I am. I still got tapped more often than not but being able to hang in there for a full 5 mins feels like a real achievement. As Ribeiro says, white belt is all about survival.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah. It's learning where the water is. Blue is learning to swim I'd say. The book is amazing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

hi liter posted:

Are we still doing this?

Just out of curiosity..what the average time to shodan in judo?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

My coach did it in about 3 days, took him a weekend to memorize all the Japanese throw names

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My coach did it in about 3 days, took him a weekend to memorize all the Japanese throw names

Your coach sounds like a bad rear end but I don't think that was the question they were asking

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ImplicitAssembler posted:

In the US? 3-5 years if you're training and competing regularly.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Our teacher said he made it to shodan in five, but implied that most people take it slower. So in Finland, six-ish years might be pretty close?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Guy in my club did it in 3 years, with regular competing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of competing, nothing says "train more you poo poo" like a clubmate taking gold in a tournament. We started out at the same time, but while he's been rolling, I've been fooling around with sword stuff. :v:

Honestly, it's actually quite nice to have someone to benchmark myself against. Time to get on the mat and get myself in fighting shape for the next tournament.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

When I take a good hit to the left side of my jaw in sparring, I have a weird warm-liquidey poppy sensation deep-ish inside my right ear. Never felt anything like it before. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I have sinus troubles so think that might be related.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Cyber Dog posted:

When I take a good hit to the left side of my jaw in sparring, I have a weird warm-liquidey poppy sensation deep-ish inside my right ear. Never felt anything like it before. Anyone have any experience with something like this? I have sinus troubles so think that might be related.

While the symptoms are troublesome, don't you think the greater question is how to stop getting hit in the left jaw?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VulgarandStupid posted:

While the symptoms are troublesome, don't you think the greater question is how to stop getting hit in the left jaw?

A little flippant for this thread. You're gonna get hit if you spar. Maybe only a good shot once in a hundred rounds, maybe once in 10.

Cyber Dog posted:

I've had that happen. Does it make a weird dull roaring noise when it pops? It's usually when I've been in a humid climate for a while and my ears are plugged up. I just assume it's liquid shifting around behind the middle ear.
Sometimes I can feel earwax falling out along with the other sensations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

kimbo305 posted:

A little flippant for this thread. You're gonna get hit if you spar. Maybe only a good shot once in a hundred rounds, maybe once in 10.
Of course you're going to get hit, but if he fights orthodox and is getting hit in the left side of the jaw a lot, he simply needs to tuck his chin and raise his shoulders. That should take care of most of it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Of course you're going to get hit, but if he fights orthodox and is getting hit in the left side of the jaw a lot, he simply needs to tuck his chin and raise his shoulders. That should take care of most of it.

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

VulgarandStupid posted:

thanks for the body shots all day everyday you fucken bitch

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What is the difference between Kyokushin and Shotokan karate?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I've had that happen. Does it make a weird dull roaring noise when it pops? It's usually when I've been in a humid climate for a while and my ears are plugged up. I just assume it's liquid shifting around behind the middle ear.
Sometimes I can feel earwax falling out along with the other sensations.

That noise exactly! Good to know I'm not alone.

Also, yeah. Excited to implement VulgarandStupid's advice while being punched and kicked, noone told me to tuck my chin and raise my shoulders before.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

What is the difference between Kyokushin and Shotokan karate?

Competition rules. Shotokan is point fighting, Kyokushin is punching each other in the ribs until you're coughing and/or making GBS threads blood.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Can anyone recommend a good place to learn Judo in NYC?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to learn Judo in NYC?

http://www.kokushibudo.com/
http://www.oishi-judo.com/
http://www.itcnewyork.com/

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Does this place look legit or should I stay away

http://www.okku.webs.com/

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

Does this place look legit or should I stay away

http://www.okku.webs.com/

Looks good to me. The main thing is that they compete in tournaments run by larger Kyokushin organizations. It's hard to teach nonsense when your students are fighting students from other schools.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 15, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I made a March MATness effort thread for the NCAA Wrestling Championships this weekend. You all should come watch and post.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey judo nerds, tell me about kawazu-gake. I found an old rulebook from '55 and it was already banned back then, but how far back does the rule go? Also, is there an official explanation why it's banned?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 17, 2016

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Looks like it would easily gently caress up your knee so I'd guess that's the reason.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Siivola posted:

Hey judo nerds, twll me about kawazu-gake. I found an old rulebook from '55 and it was already banned back then, but how far back does the rule go? Also, is there an official explanation why it's banned?

That's clearly a Russian legsweep, so I assume it was banned for the same reason they've essentially banned morote-gari, because Russians were too good at it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't know the ban history on it, but it is 100% banned because of the threat to the knees of both participants. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Kano-era ban. (Looks like it's one of the 27, not one of the 40, so it could be later)

One of our kids got a dq for it just this past weekend in Edmonton when his opponent wrapped the leg to stop an uchimata and our kid fell over trying to free his foot. Ref thought that our kid initiated it as a throw. Now the kid has a sore knee and I've had to tell him 10x to immediately stop doing any activity that bugs it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

hi liter posted:

Thanks friends. Yea I was ranked a while ago, but -100kg in the USA I'm pretty sure could be won by a skilled Japanese high schooler/mid range college player.

It feels good to never have to worry about ranks or promotions anymore, I can just train now without getting questioned for sandbagging my belt.

Do you ever run into Ajax Tadehara? I got my shodan with him several years ago.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

ihop posted:

Do you ever run into Ajax Tadehara? I got my shodan with him several years ago.

I've met Ajax at a couple tournaments (I am 100% sure he has no idea who I am) He's a great player, haven't seen him since I last went to nationals a few years ago though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Competition rules. Shotokan is point fighting, Kyokushin is punching each other in the ribs until you're coughing and/or making GBS threads blood.

Is Kyokushin really as physically taxing as people say it is? How does it compare to grappling arts like judo, or to other full-contact martial arts like muay thai or boxing? Obviously striking requires actually getting hit while grappling doesn't.

I'm asking because I really like how straightforward and practical it feels to spar in judo compared to the arcane rules of karate point-sparring, but at the same time I feel like I might be underestimating the physical consequences of full-contact striking. And I guess another distinction to make is the intensity of sparring for training vs. actual tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cephas posted:

Is Kyokushin really as physically taxing as people say it is?

This is what Kyokushin sparring looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx8SSRtPzEA
I would say it's on par with MT or boxing, limited by your own fitness.

• Locked thread