Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

binarysmurf posted:

Gentlemen,

I have a friend who has a Sony Z1, and the screen has died. He has
contacts and calendar data that is not in the cloud, but stored locally
on the phone. He needs me to access this data so that he can port it to
his new Sony Z3 Compact which will arrive shortly.

Because the screen is dead, he can't enter his passcode.

What is my best way forward, in terms of accessing his device and
getting access to his data?

Is there any way I can get into his phone via my Mac using adb/fastboot, a shell, or any other
method, assuming I know his passcode?

Not sure which version of Android is on his phone, but I hope it is at least Lollipop.

Any input appreciated. :)

I have a Z1 and my cat just pushed it off my desk and the screen died, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I've ordered a replacement screen off taobao for like $20 and I'm going to replace it and then keep using the Z1. Hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
USB OTG keyboard might work, assuming it's either a PIN or a password.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

monster on a stick posted:

Is the 5X a decent upgrade of a Moto X '13, as far as speed/camera? (Motorola already appears to have forgotten about the 13 so no Marshmallow.)

I can't comment much on the performance difference between the two. Chrome, Inbox and Awful run just fine on my 5X, but they ran just as well on my Moto X so maybe someone else can whip out their benchmarks and give a better answer.

But the camera? It's gone from "hey, you have an iPhone, maybe you should take this pic instead of me" to just taking a shot and knowing I'll always be happy with what comes out. I'm sure the 5X isn't on the same level as the latest and greatest phones around, but it's definitely an upgrade from an aging mid tier phone.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

sethsez posted:

It really sounds like there's something screwy with your router that you don't notice in standard usage but the phone is still trying to compensate for.

I agree, but I have no idea what the gently caress it's looking for. None of the iDevices complain about the wireless or switch to data mode, just my samsung phones. Wifi is an Archer C7 and nobody in the area is on 5ghz yet.

I turned off smart switch, it seems to be behaving a bit better. Maybe samsung hosed with smart switch the way they Wizz on everything else in android? As long as it still swaps to data when I drive leave the house I'll be happy.

LastInLine posted:

In short, this is what the cloud is for, ignore it at your peril.

To be fair, I lost a number of contacts when I wiped/restored my S3 because it's not clear that a specific contact was made locally instead of cloud synced. I think it happened on 4.2 when you added a name to a number in your call log instead of creating a new contact and typing in the name. Or maybe it's just more TouchWizz fuckery. Too bad their hardware is good, because goddamn if I don't hate every single software change they made.

Speaking of Samsung fuckery:

vulturesrow posted:

The S7 doesn’t let you use third-party apps. It doesn’t even let you use some of the built-in Android apps for Always On notification. You’re stuck using the proprietary Samsung messenger and dialer, and even then you can’t see who’s calling or texting. Considering that I use Hangouts for all my digital missives, that’s some major suckage, and it prompts flashbacks to that old Samsung TouchWiz life. It’s a possibly cool feature that’s hopelessly imprisoned in its own walled garden of usability—much like Samsung’s “Edge features” on last year’s S6.

Yeah, a neat feature that they poo poo on, where have I heard that before? Hopefully the XDA folks fix it.

The free VR stuff with the S7 is slick, BTW. It tracks your head movement a lot better than the other types I've tried.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Does the z1 do mhl out? You could try that with a USB keyboard and see what happens. I love that with nexuses you don't have to think about whether this contact is getting saved locally or to a Samsung account or to a carrier account. It's just your Google account. Why the hell would you want it saved to anything else?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RZA Encryption posted:

Does the z1 do mhl out? You could try that with a USB keyboard and see what happens. I love that with nexuses you don't have to think about whether this contact is getting saved locally or to a Samsung account or to a carrier account. It's just your Google account. Why the hell would you want it saved to anything else?

You could still save the contacts locally or to the sim on Nexus phones I presume. This is certainly a case though where apparently the user managed to avoid every single cloud sync option for their contacts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

broken clock opsec posted:

You could still save the contacts locally or to the sim on Nexus phones I presume.

I'm not seeing how.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

broken clock opsec posted:

You could still save the contacts locally or to the sim on Nexus phones I presume. This is certainly a case though where apparently the user managed to avoid every single cloud sync option for their contacts.

I don't think it's actually possible on a nexus, or at least I can't figure out how

Samsung et al definitely used to default to local storage which is dumb as gently caress. Not sure what it's like now

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I wasn't saying "it's not possible". I'm not sure if it is, but I meant that it's not going to happen accidentally. The default option is going to be the standard and most used option, so it's important to have same defaults. This is something non-nexus phone makers don't get, it's almost like they pick horrible defaults in an attempt to get you to explore the options.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any idea when the new Samsung Wireless Fast Charger is due to be released? I thought it would have been available from Samsung directly on release day but it's not. It's the one that tilts I'm interested in.

Edit: Nevermind, it's now listed on Amazon. £50. Release date is 31st March.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

I wasn't saying "it's not possible". I'm not sure if it is, but I meant that it's not going to happen accidentally. The default option is going to be the standard and most used option, so it's important to have same defaults. This is something non-nexus phone makers don't get, it's almost like they pick horrible defaults in an attempt to get you to explore the options.

Google Contacts (on Play, 6.0+) can save to other contact handlers like Outlook (which are if you're sane just account-driven APIs for other accounts with contact libraries), but by default it does Google with the option to import/export to VCF and only import from SIM. The only exception I've seen is device user accounts ("ME") if they don't just populate from your Google account.

So yeah you'd have to go out of your way to make a contact that dies with your phone environment.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You could also just use manual contacts upload.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Can you manually download and apply an OTA update to a Nexus phone without having to use ADB and all that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

Can you manually download and apply an OTA update to a Nexus phone without having to use ADB and all that?

Yes, though using the CLI is far easier.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
March security patch just rolled out to me OTA.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Smythe posted:

March security patch just rolled out to me OTA.

My work N7 was being stubborn about it, so I just sideloaded it.

Also, for anyone with new phones, the 200GB Sandisk MicroSD is $59.99 today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V62XBQQ

You have to select Amazon.com as the seller on the right hand side of the page. 128GB is $34.99. We must be getting 250 or 300GB cards soon.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We must be getting 250 or 300GB cards soon.

Sandisk is the only company that's even bothered releasing something larger than 128GB, so I suspect that 200GB is where things are going to top out. Even I, noted microSD connoisseur, have to suspect that there's not a lot of demand for sizes over 200GB.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
What's the use case for 100+ GB SD cards? I barely trust my cards enough to leave photos on them for 24 hours, let alone long enough to rack up 100's of GB of data.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Look at this normie who claims not to have a >128GB 10-bit anime collection

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Are those 200gb cards good for 4k video? Was thinking of getting something with 80mb write speed, though they are closer to $80 for 128gb.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Connecting my phone via USB-C to the 12 TB NAS I keep in my JanSport Backpack.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Sandisk is the only company that's even bothered releasing something larger than 128GB, so I suspect that 200GB is where things are going to top out. Even I, noted microSD connoisseur, have to suspect that there's not a lot of demand for sizes over 200GB.

We might not be getting bigger cards, but I think I remember reading something that we were set to be getting *faster* MicroSD cards soon. My attitude is, if you're routinely moving data on your phone that exceeds ~40-50MB/sec you're better off buying a GoPro for your video taking.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Smythe posted:

Connecting my phone via USB-C to the 12 TB NAS I keep in my JanSport Backpack.

Now *this* is anime watching!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

vyst posted:

Now *this* is anime watching!

Strapping in to my Gear VR streaming off my 12TB NAS in the JanSport backpack to watch cool shows in the Community College library lounge.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We might not be getting bigger cards, but I think I remember reading something that we were set to be getting *faster* MicroSD cards soon. My attitude is, if you're routinely moving data on your phone that exceeds ~40-50MB/sec you're better off buying a GoPro for your video taking.

Okay,I was under the impression that you needed the faster card to even record without issues.
This is the one I was looking, though I might jump on that 200gb for the space and cost.

SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NP63Y4K/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_TDZ5wbCEW50WP

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Phuzun posted:

Okay,I was under the impression that you needed the faster card to even record without issues.
This is the one I was looking, though I might jump on that 200gb for the space and cost.

SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NP63Y4K/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_TDZ5wbCEW50WP

Well, the 200GB card 'claims' up to 90MB/sec, and 80MB/sec for the normal 128GB. I can say that you're still usually going to see ~40-60MB/sec using a USB2/3 adapter.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So am I crazy or something or can I not hide contacts without phone numbers from all contacts on my 6p? This is kind of a stupid. I don't want to see a bunch of e-mail contacts on my phone's dialer.

edit: Sure I can just start typing in the name to search I guess, but it's weird that it won't hide contacts without phone numbers on the dialer but is fine doing that on the messenger. Google you're weird sometimes.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 15, 2016

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, the 200GB card 'claims' up to 90MB/sec, and 80MB/sec for the normal 128GB. I can say that you're still usually going to see ~40-60MB/sec using a USB2/3 adapter.

Screw it, for $20 less I can always use it for my car stereo if I need something faster.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

havenwaters posted:

So am I crazy or something or can I not hide contacts without phone numbers from all contacts on my 6p? This is kind of a stupid. I don't want to see a bunch of e-mail contacts on my phone's dialer.

edit: Sure I can just start typing in the name to search I guess, but it's weird that it won't hide contacts without phone numbers on the dialer but is fine doing that on the messenger. Google you're weird sometimes.

Google Contacts are insanely hosed up. I especially like in Hangouts (which I use as an old GVoice port and now a Fi subscriber, to have sync'd chats across all devices I have on my Google account including Desktop) there is no good way to search contacts. Typing in a name pulls down literally every human on earth to text and sometimes mysteriously omits the only one you want, if you initiated the conversation as SMS and don't have them in Hangouts proper. It is intensely fail and always has been. The hangouts Chrome App and also the hangouts.google.com are also hosed up and mentally ill. I have no idea what their deal is. You have to scroll through your chats to find the one you want. The old voice.google.com worked loving great so I can't fathom the hangup.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Smythe posted:

Google Contacts are insanely hosed up. I especially like in Hangouts (which I use as an old GVoice port and now a Fi subscriber, to have sync'd chats across all devices I have on my Google account including Desktop) there is no good way to search contacts. Typing in a name pulls down literally every human on earth to text and sometimes mysteriously omits the only one you want, if you initiated the conversation as SMS and don't have them in Hangouts proper. It is intensely fail and always has been. The hangouts Chrome App and also the hangouts.google.com are also hosed up and mentally ill. I have no idea what their deal is. You have to scroll through your chats to find the one you want. The old voice.google.com worked loving great so I can't fathom the hangup.

Fun. Solved my problem for the most part. They hid "customize contacts to display" under the contacts apk when you're on all contacts. It won't show up in the dialer when you're on all contacts though. You have to use your groups instead of just showing everything in my contacts. I guess you also have to organize those in contacts.google.com too. Workarounds are better than nothing I guess.

edit: Nevermind that doesn't actually fix it on the dialer only in contacts itself. :sigh: I'll figure this out later or just return this and get something else.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 15, 2016

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I fixed my poo poo mostly by janitoring contacts.google.com so that everything was right. Merging emails with their contacts and stuff. I was surprised that I had to manually clean it up instead of Google realizing that the contact for John Smith with his email, and the John Smith with his phone number were the same person and merging them for me. Once you get it sorted it works alright but IMO it's something that the backend should do automatically.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

I fixed my poo poo mostly by janitoring contacts.google.com so that everything was right. Merging emails with their contacts and stuff. I was surprised that I had to manually clean it up instead of Google realizing that the contact for John Smith with his email, and the John Smith with his phone number were the same person and merging them for me. Once you get it sorted it works alright but IMO it's something that the backend should do automatically.

Google can merge and unmerge, and I know this because it merged my stepmom into my dad and I couldn't find her phone number. I have had to unmerge it several times.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Today I learned that by default, android kills alarms if left unattended for 10 minutes. So today I was late to work because I took longer than usual to wake up. Cool.

I have now set it to never shut off alarms.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Are you saying that your alarm was blaring for ten solid minutes and you just slept right through it? It might be time to look into one of those alarms that abuses you physically.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you saying that your alarm was blaring for ten solid minutes and you just slept right through it? It might be time to look into one of those alarms that abuses you physically.

Watch it turn out he's got a 2015 Moto X and only woke up because his neighbors heard it going for 10 mins.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you are missing alarms that are going off for 10 minutes, something is wrong. Go to the doctor or stop getting completely plastered on weekdays.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also never get married because your husband or wife is going to murder you in your sleep. While your alarm clocking is going off.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Some people just can't handle DST changeover, it happens.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Get an android watch, it will vibrate you awake... or not if you're that heavy a sleeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm looking to separate my personal poo poo from my work poo poo. Android for Work would do exactly what I want, but I can't use it because work doesn't use the service. Is there anything similar? Basically I don't want to have my personal calendar and contacts and email all mixed in with my work stuff, but I don't want to just delegate all the work stuff to a separate user profile that I have to keep switching back and forth between. I like how Android for Work creates separate apps for work in their own little spot.