Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Drythe posted:

New Samsung phone time is great. I get a VR, a year of netflix, a free 32gb micro SD, and a $30 gift card for getting this new phone.

Where's the year of Netflix from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kerbtree posted:

Or set your phone's date forward a month, then put it back.

Well yeah, there were workarounds, but eventually they let you long-press and remove it. Point is it's been there a while through a lot of updates!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Zotix posted:

Where's the year of Netflix from?

T-Mobile preorders, it's been there since Galaxy s6, so now I'm in my 4th year of free Netflix.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ah. I went for the gear s2 watch instead of the VR. I think that might be only verizon? I Def got the $30 gift card and the micro SD.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rastor posted:

Urrrrrrgh Jesus Christ I hate that I am allowing this dumb thread to trigger my sperg

Jesus christ, this thread is dumb.

Were respondents to these surveys selected via random sample? If not might throw the results off a bit :D

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Seems like Samsung actually is great at software, so I'd appreciate it if the thread could point me to a Tizen phone. Thanks in advance.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

e: even weirder, try taking a screenshot with that mode on. It doesn't work (screenshot is normal colors).

Do you mean a screenshot will display as normal colors, or that it will display inverted (in inverted mode)?

Because if it's displaying as normal, that could mean the screenshot is taken with inverted colors, and then when it's being shown on screen the colors are being inverted again.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
So who do I blame for this bit of fuckery, Samsung or Google?

My brand new S7 is desperate to not use my wifi, preferring the less-than-1-bar of 3G it gets instead.

In order to use my (perfectly fine) wifi I have to disable data connections (remember those quick toggles? That was the only one I ever used, and all due to this bug on my S3) and now that's buried in swipe-down, gear, data connections, more, scroll down, enable/disable data. poo poo sucks, yo. I'd prefer to have it stop loving turning off my wifi, but if that's an impossible request for an operating system in TYOOL 2016 I guess "how do I put the mobile data toggle somewhere easy to get to" will have to do.

Anyone know what it even uses to determine wifi quality? If it's pinging some server I'll use IP spoofing on my router to respond.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Harik posted:

My brand new S7 is desperate to not use my wifi, preferring the less-than-1-bar of 3G it gets instead.

In order to use my (perfectly fine) wifi I have to disable data connections (remember those quick toggles? That was the only one I ever used, and all due to this bug on my S3) and now that's buried in swipe-down, gear, data connections, more, scroll down, enable/disable data. poo poo sucks, yo. I'd prefer to have it stop loving turning off my wifi, but if that's an impossible request for an operating system in TYOOL 2016 I guess "how do I put the mobile data toggle somewhere easy to get to" will have to do.

Anyone know what it even uses to determine wifi quality? If it's pinging some server I'll use IP spoofing on my router to respond.

Can't say I've ever had this issue with any Nexus or Samsung device. :shrug: Did it happen straight out of the box or only start after installing a bunch of apps?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Harik posted:

It sounds like you should blame your (perfectly fine) wifi.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The 32GB 6P is $425 on Amazon now...that's $75 off.

edit: as are the 64GB and 128GB

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 12, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Thermopyle posted:

The 32GB 6P is $425 on Amazon now...that's $75 off.

64 and 128GB 6P are also $75 off. I'm pretty drat tempted to snag a 64GB 6P

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAUXTON posted:

Do you mean a screenshot will display as normal colors, or that it will display inverted (in inverted mode)?

Because if it's displaying as normal, that could mean the screenshot is taken with inverted colors, and then when it's being shown on screen the colors are being inverted again.
It's taken with normal colors. I viewed it in Google photos on my desktop. ;)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Can someone recommend a glass screen protector for the S7? The one I got is about a millimetre too narrow to cover the screen completely.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can someone recommend a glass screen protector for the S7? The one I got is about a millimetre too narrow to cover the screen completely.

EDIT: Note that was for the S6 not S7. I'll leave it up as a recommendation for the S6 and likely the S7 product will be good as well.

I'm pretty happy with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QU4N0EI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Galaxy S6 Screen Protector, Spigen® Galaxy S6 Screen Protector. I got it to try to cut down on the SDE when using Gear VR. I think it might have helped a little (I didn't do a test before and after) and I'm sure it'll be a decent screen protector. I've never used one before, and I don't even notice this one sonce I put it on (which is a good thing).

EDIT: NM you asked for S7.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So far it appears none of them fit properly.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Desk Lamp posted:

It sounds like you should blame your (perfectly fine) wifi.

Except there's no problems with it if I turn off mobile data. When there's no other option, it just deals with it and works. I can download, stream youtube, do whatever. On the phone that won't use it if data is available. If I let it have it's way I can't do any of those things. So whatever "network optimizer" is running is doing a really bad job.

sethsez posted:

Can't say I've ever had this issue with any Nexus or Samsung device. :shrug: Did it happen straight out of the box or only start after installing a bunch of apps?

Literally straight out of the box, I just got it today. It gave me poo poo while downloading the first apps until I figured out how to turn off mobile data.

It's probably trying to access some server somewhere that I have bad connectivity to, and if I knew what one I'd just spoof it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Harik posted:

It's probably trying to access some server somewhere that I have bad connectivity to, and if I knew what one I'd just spoof it.

Except Android devices will happily connect to WiFi networks without any internet access.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Harik posted:

Except there's no problems with it if I turn off mobile data. When there's no other option, it just deals with it and works. I can download, stream youtube, do whatever. On the phone that won't use it if data is available. If I let it have it's way I can't do any of those things. So whatever "network optimizer" is running is doing a really bad job.

Literally straight out of the box, I just got it today. It gave me poo poo while downloading the first apps until I figured out how to turn off mobile data.

It really sounds like there's something screwy with your router that you don't notice in standard usage but the phone is still trying to compensate for.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Harik posted:

It's happening on both phones though, which seems to indicate some kind of issue with your network unless you were unfortunate enough to get two different phones with the exact same defect 3 generations apart.

Only other thing I can think of trying is turning off smart network switch under the wifi settings if you've got it set to on.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh my god I just got the option in Google now that I was 'not interested in stories from the daily mail'

loving finally. Looks like it works on any news source too

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a thread about phone cases or should I just ask here? I ordered a Nexus 5X through the promotion; I was sad to discover that Otter Box doesn't make anything for them because that's what I have currently and it has served me well.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Relea...s=Nexus+5X+case

This seems alright for the price; the Otter Box I have came with the phone when I bought it so I have no idea what the price:quality ratio is for phone cases.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
This is from a Gizmodo review. Yeah, Gizmodo kind of sucks but it popped up in my Google Now feed so I read it. However the quote isn't really making sense to me. Are they referring to the Always On screen, or Edge features, or what? Can someone clarify?

The S7 doesn’t let you use third-party apps. It doesn’t even let you use some of the built-in Android apps for Always On notification. You’re stuck using the proprietary Samsung messenger and dialer, and even then you can’t see who’s calling or texting. Considering that I use Hangouts for all my digital missives, that’s some major suckage, and it prompts flashbacks to that old Samsung TouchWiz life. It’s a possibly cool feature that’s hopelessly imprisoned in its own walled garden of usability—much like Samsung’s “Edge features” on last year’s S6.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Seems to be referring to the always on display.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like this should be obvious, but I'm not figuring it out, and google searches aren't very helpful.

How do I access music on my microSD card on the S7?

On my S4, when headphones were plugged in, all the options popped on the screen and I never had to search, but now it seems like the only way is through Google Play Music. Which is fine and works and didn't require me to download another app. Any better suggestions or is this ok to use?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Rastor posted:

Urrrrrrgh Jesus Christ I hate that I am allowing this dumb thread to trigger my sperg

Jesus christ, this thread is dumb.

I'm fully erect

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Really important question, so bear with me while I give a bit of background info.

I need a new phone fast, but it needs to meet some often-overlooked requirements.
My vocal chords are partially paralyzed and my diaphragm is slightly weakened, so the most mics and phones make my voice sound like the regrettable lovechild of Gollum and Darth Vader. I'm struggling with a barely-clinging-to-life Droid Razer right now, and my voice comes out sounding like modulated static played onba phonograph. I used to used an iPhone 4S, and that worked pretty well until the hardware started failing. I'm flying up to Redmond (I live in New Mexico) for an "Ability Summit" (think career fair) where Microsoft and a few other tech giants are looking to hire people with disabilities. I obviously can't be reliant on a nonfunctioning phone during this time, so this is why my questions to you are so critical.

I'm looking at signing up for Fi and getting either the 5X or 6P, but I'm wondering if a few of the upgrades in the 6P justify the extra cost. (especially since the 5X is $199 right now)
My eyeballs are defective, and I'm legally blind in one eye. How much better is the 5.7" 2560x1440 6P vs 5.2" 1440x1080 5X?
The 6P has 3 microphones (2 front, 1 rear) with noise cancellation vs 3 microphones (1 front, 1 top, 1 bottom) with no noise cancelling on the 5X. I would think the 2 fronts mics would help with picking up my voice, does anyone have any impressions/advice on this?
I need a sturdy phone as I can't always gently set it down. Is the aluminium housing on the 6P really that much sturdier than the polycarbonate on the 5X?

The 6P is obviously the better phone, but I can live without the faster processor and more RAM. The things I can't afford to compromise on are voice quality, screen clarity, and durability. I'm having a hard time justifying the $300 price difference, but I will if it will truly make a difference.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

dustbin posted:

I feel like this should be obvious, but I'm not figuring it out, and google searches aren't very helpful.

How do I access music on my microSD card on the S7?

On my S4, when headphones were plugged in, all the options popped on the screen and I never had to search, but now it seems like the only way is through Google Play Music. Which is fine and works and didn't require me to download another app. Any better suggestions or is this ok to use?

My friend, put it on Google music and free yourself from maintaining your music library.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a thread about phone cases or should I just ask here? I ordered a Nexus 5X through the promotion; I was sad to discover that Otter Box doesn't make anything for them because that's what I have currently and it has served me well.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Relea...s=Nexus+5X+case

This seems alright for the price; the Otter Box I have came with the phone when I bought it so I have no idea what the price:quality ratio is for phone cases.

Supcase has a pretty solid reputation for making good products. I just got their Unicorn Beetle line for my S7 edge, and yes i know its one of the most retarded names ever used. But its a very solid case. Most of my co-workers who value their phone use SupCase, Urban Armor Gear, or Otterbox.

Spigen is also another good name in cases provided you dont get a fake.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 13, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

Supcase has a pretty solid reputation for making good products. I just got their Unicorn Beetle line for my S7 edge, and yes i know its one of the most retarded names ever used. But its a very solid case. Most of my co-workers who value their phone use SupCase, Urban Armor Gear, or Otterbox.

Spigen is also another good name in cases provided you dont get a fake.

Awesome; I'm going to go ahead with the Frost colored Unicorn Beetle because every phone I've ever had has been black.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is the 5X a decent upgrade of a Moto X '13, as far as speed/camera? (Motorola already appears to have forgotten about the 13 so no Marshmallow.)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Valicious posted:

The 6P is obviously the better phone, but I can live without the faster processor and more RAM. The things I can't afford to compromise on are voice quality, screen clarity, and durability. I'm having a hard time justifying the $300 price difference, but I will if it will truly make a difference.

Honestly (and I don't know the situation with yr shops and whatever) it sounds like you probably need to go and play with each of them, since you have pretty important criteria you can't compromise on. Like my uninformed assumption is that noise-cancelling stuff is better than none, and both screen resolutions are so high you probably won't even notice a difference, never mind have a clarity problem - a bigger screen will be a lot easier to read though. But I don't know what I'm talking about, and I bet most people who've actually used the phones can't be sure if they'd meet your needs either

I'd definitely go demo them, if you can - especially to check the mic situation

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Smythe posted:

Google Fi, Brother.

Fi is really bad, my wife gets better service from cricket for less money and my Verizon phone consistently blows Fi away for reliability.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

uPen posted:

Fi is really bad, my wife gets better service from cricket for less money and my Verizon phone consistently blows Fi away for reliability.

There's no contract with Fi, so at least you can stop using it if you hate it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

uPen posted:

That just means neither T-Mobile nor Sprint is viable in your area, which may not matter where Smythe lives. Feel free to rip into Smythe if he gets Orthy, though.

Also your wife's mobile service is on the scraps from AT&T's table (literally; they own Cricket), just a heads-up.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 13, 2016

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

uPen posted:

Fi is actually really good. You must live somewhere incorrect.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That just means neither T-Mobile nor Sprint is viable in your area, which may not matter where Smythe lives. Feel free to rip into Smythe if he gets Orthy, though.

Also your wife's mobile service is on the scraps from AT&T's table (literally; they own Cricket), just a heads-up.

The scraps from AT&T's table are still miles ahead of Sprint.

Carrier pigeons are miles ahead of Sprint.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Bad service lol

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Gentlemen,

I have a friend who has a Sony Z1, and the screen has died. He has
contacts and calendar data that is not in the cloud, but stored locally
on the phone. He needs me to access this data so that he can port it to
his new Sony Z3 Compact which will arrive shortly.

Because the screen is dead, he can't enter his passcode.

What is my best way forward, in terms of accessing his device and
getting access to his data?

Is there any way I can get into his phone via my Mac using adb/fastboot, a shell, or any other
method, assuming I know his passcode?

Not sure which version of Android is on his phone, but I hope it is at least Lollipop.

Any input appreciated. :)

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

binarysmurf posted:

Gentlemen,

I have a friend who has a Sony Z1, and the screen has died. He has
contacts and calendar data that is not in the cloud, but stored locally
on the phone. He needs me to access this data so that he can port it to
his new Sony Z3 Compact which will arrive shortly.

Because the screen is dead, he can't enter his passcode.

What is my best way forward, in terms of accessing his device and
getting access to his data?

Is there any way I can get into his phone via my Mac using adb/fastboot, a shell, or any other
method, assuming I know his passcode?

Not sure which version of Android is on his phone, but I hope it is at least Lollipop.

Any input appreciated. :)

To do what you're asking, he'd have needed to enable USB debugging prior to the screen breaking and also you'd have had to authorize your Mac on the device prior to this happening. In short, this is what the cloud is for, ignore it at your peril.