Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For me it's always going to be Ingtar staying behind so that the boys can get out of Falme. But Veins of Gold and the Golden Crane are both right up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Rand seeing the history of the Aiel through his own ancestor's eyes is my favorite part of the series.

Zaleov
Dec 11, 2005

NAM OT NWONK AIXELSYD LABREV FO ESAC EREVES TSOM EHT EVAH UOY
I'm partial to Rand's revelation on the Dragonmount, that it's all worth it because he could live again, he could do better on the next turning of the wheel.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

For me it's always going to be Ingtar staying behind so that the boys can get out of Falme. But Veins of Gold and the Golden Crane are both right up there.

No lies, this really saved the 2nd book for me. Guess I'm a sucker for redemption stories (that sadly I wish was fleshed out more with Ingtar). Otherwise it was kinda "bleh".

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I really enjoyed the bit where Cadsuane pointed out that Semirhage was just as human as everyone else and being afraid of her gave her power, and proved her point by bending Semirhage over her knee and spanking her in front of an audience because she wouldn't eat her dinner.

For most of the series anytime someone got all scared because the Forsaken were like 3000 years old I got really bothered because they spent pretty much all of that time asleep in the Bore so they don't know loving anything about modern society but no, everyone just assumes they're all-powerful. And then Cadsuane just lays out this smackdown. Wonderful.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I really like that sequence where Elayne watches a play and doesn't like it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I really like that sequence where Elayne watches a play and doesn't like it.

Yes, but is there anything Elayne actually does like?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mad Hamish posted:

Being in charge

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Mad Hamish posted:

Taking baths.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mad Hamish posted:

Being invincible.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing on Egwene taking out Mesaana in Tel'aran'rhiod? That was just glorious.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
None of the other endings beat out the entirety of the ending to The Fires of Heaven overall, FYI.

Egwene popping Mesaana was satisfying but I feel like we could've done with more of Black Ajah/Mesaana's POV in TGS to make that what it should've been.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

OAquinas posted:

It was probably not a major priority. Ishy was the one calling the shots over the Black every 40 years or so. He knew that as long as the seals were unbroken, it was better to have a thoroughly infiltrated Tower that was still seen as a central authority on the continent, than one that was outright serving the DO (and thereby summarily assaulted and destroyed by the rest of humanity). Turned channelers are apparently cartoon evil, so the secret would have gotten out eventually. Plus same-sex Turning is much more difficult, from what we saw with Logain.

Even without Turning, it seems they had a full third of Full Sister tower membership. That's crazy.

It's funny how like 2/3 or more of the Reds are actually black. That would have been a funny moment in one of those super duper secret meetings when a Red Venom sister finally figures it out, an "...Are we the baddies?"- moment when all the Skull-motifs become obvious.

I think it would have been better if Cadsuane was a retired red, having an actually competent red go interact with Rand and surprise everyone by going up and bating for him at a crucial moment would have been much more interesting and worth exploring. Like, once the taint is cleansed, having her be the first to stand up *for* Rand, confirm the cleansing and talk the others down because hey, she's actually touched tainted-Saidin in her line of work and can use her accrued respect points on the idiot sisters would have been a pretty powerful turning point. Something of a missed opportunity.

As for good lines, I think that poem in the first pages of the Fires of Heaven is pretty drat good.

I thought Sanderson was fine right up until the last book, when he went stupidly overboard with his rule-lawyering autism and pet characters.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 15, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think that AMoL is probably my least favorite book in the series. It's peak Sanderson and every decent thing about it is counteracted by things like the 'OMG WEAKEST MALE CHANNELER EVAR!' wiping out enter Trolloc divisions with gateway-powered lava floods, or Mat's cannons firing through tiny half-second gateways and all that other stupid gateway-related :spergin:.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

Don't forget sticking her nose as high in the air as it can go.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

*chokes on a veil, makes sputtering cat noises*

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
"You will do well."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Khizan posted:

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think that AMoL is probably my least favorite book in the series. It's peak Sanderson and every decent thing about it is counteracted by things like the 'OMG WEAKEST MALE CHANNELER EVAR!' wiping out enter Trolloc divisions with gateway-powered lava floods, or Mat's cannons firing through tiny half-second gateways and all that other stupid gateway-related :spergin:.

Except wasn't most of the last battle already written by Jordan?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Nope, he wrote (most of?) the last chapter after the fightings done though, probably wasn't his finished draft.

You can probably count the number of chapters Jordan wrote in the last 3 books on one hand, he left some very sparse notes and recorded the general gist of it on tapes that served as a base for some of the other chapters.

And really, you don't need to know what he wrote to know he didn't write anything related to volcanogate, pocket gateway fuckery or mano-o-mano Demandred duels.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 15, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I like in ToM where Mat is hearing rumors of himself dicing with death and slaying the Aiel king

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Honestly Mat was my favorite character the entire way through except when he was being a little fucker because of the dagger early on.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pimpmust posted:

Nope, he wrote (most of?) the last chapter after the fightings done though, probably wasn't his finished draft.

You can probably count the number of chapters Jordan wrote in the last 3 books on one hand, he left some very sparse notes and recorded the general gist of it on tapes that served as a base for some of the other chapters.

And really, you don't need to know what he wrote to know he didn't write anything related to volcanogate, pocket gateway fuckery or mano-o-mano Demandred duels.

The Demandred duels all worked for me except Lan should have died while fighting him. Like, we hear about this move for 13 books being a sure way to get a killing blow if you don't mind dying yourself. And then he loving survives it

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I forgot how lovely Elayne's arc is in ToM. Let's have her face the black ajah again for the 500th time

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Elayne is a Queen and must show proper respect for new forms of art, even if she herself doesn't understand the appeal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Glumslinger posted:

The Demandred duels all worked for me except Lan should have died while fighting him. Like, we hear about this move for 13 books being a sure way to get a killing blow if you don't mind dying yourself. And then he loving survives it

I dunno I liked Mat completely losing his poo poo after that

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 16, 2016

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I was also totally baffled by Elayne's baffling character about-face to Perrin when he showed up in Andor and she started getting pissy at him because he actually bothered to defend what was nominally her territory in the Two Rivers and the people of the Two Rivers hadn't been paying their taxes. Seriously, what the gently caress, Elayne.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Every great queen is controversial.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Relevant.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Glumslinger posted:

Lan surviving was the key moment that gives Rand the strength to overcome the Dark One. It's taking the relentless stream of loss and sadness that Rand's been shown (and that the reader's been subjected to) and giving us one hope spot because that's all we really needed. It's absolutely perfect.

...I think I'm changing my favourite scene.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I really enjoyed Perrin forging Mah'alleinir and working through poo poo in his head, and I wish it had happened like 6 books sooner

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I wish Perrin and Faile's relationship had never happened as it's the most tiresome and irrelevant poo poo in the entire series

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I liked Mat beating Gawyn with a quarterstaff (and Galad too, I suppose).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sex from Elayne's head.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nihilarian posted:

I really enjoyed Perrin forging Mah'alleinir and working through poo poo in his head, and I wish it had happened like 6 books sooner

actually yeah this was awesome too dunno how you put a sense of urgency and excitement into banging metal with a hammer but it got me going

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

But not every queen is immune from death because babies.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

JawKnee posted:

I wish Perrin and Faile's relationship had never happened as it's the most tiresome and irrelevant poo poo in the entire series

I don't know, I'm rereading the books and I forgot how much I liked early book "Mandarb is the horse's name" Faile. She really didn't start to suck until midway through the series

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I don't mind the idea of Lan taking down the big bad forsaken general to save the day, it's just the "build up" that ruins it. It would have been a perfect moment and bad rear end scene if say, Lan rose from a pile of corpses for a stealth/CONSECUTIVE. C. Q. C. take-down with the help of the medallion, as Demandred is wrecking the field and Elayne/Aes Sedai remains can't get through his bullshit megacircle and super weapons: rather than sword duel #3 with the same medallion/ter'angreal gimmick that depended on a 180 character switch from earlier portrayals of Demandred in the first place to even make any sense at all. Turning it into a near fan-fiction account of who's really the best swordsman in all the lands is an especially egregious misstep.

I wanted nice things for Lan, and it's fine for him to return from the dead/surviving from sheer 80ies action heroics for a happy ending but come on.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Maybe he was pregnant.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Literally just got here on my reread. I forgot how good it was. Also perrin stopping balefire. It's just a weave Egwene.

But was Lan pregnant with twins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Pimpmust posted:

I don't mind the idea of Lan taking down the big bad forsaken general to save the day, it's just the "build up" that ruins it. It would have been a perfect moment and bad rear end scene if say, Lan rose from a pile of corpses for a stealth/CONSECUTIVE. C. Q. C. take-down with the help of the medallion, as Demandred is wrecking the field and Elayne/Aes Sedai remains can't get through his bullshit megacircle and super weapons: rather than sword duel #3 with the same medallion/ter'angreal gimmick that depended on a 180 character switch from earlier portrayals of Demandred in the first place to even make any sense at all. Turning it into a near fan-fiction account of who's really the best swordsman in all the lands is an especially egregious misstep.

I wanted nice things for Lan, and it's fine for him to return from the dead/surviving from sheer 80ies action heroics for a happy ending but come on.

Yeah, Demandred from the last book was a weirdly different character than Demandred from the previous books (although, to be fair, in retrospect Demandred was literally a different character until about midway through book 9).

I feel like the G/G/L triple fight is one of those places where you can really point to as a Sanderson touch; not that that scene might not have existed in RJ's notes, but that the specific implementation of it was a very nerdy, fan-ish thing. "Who's the best swordsman in Randland" was one of those topics of endless debate in WoT fan-lisings in the late 90's--mid-00's* that I don't think the actual author ever gave a poo poo about, and to see it actually play out on the page felt like weird pandering by a nerd for other nerds. It took me out of the story pretty hard.

*Other fan favorite topics being "how do you kill a gholam with the one power?" and "101 ways to turn gateways into weapons" which, not coincidentally, also showed up in the only books written by a former fan.

• Locked thread