Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

anthonypants posted:

No one remembers Midelne :(

I just checked his post history a couple days ago because I remembered his avatar. Hasn't posted since 2012. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Potato Salad posted:

Holy poo poo this is gold.

I thought Centralia was that town that was permanently on fire.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I spent most of Wednesday investigating how at-risk our internal systems are, following the departure of the guy who used to look after them. The conclusion was that following a failure we wouldn't be able to recover due to a cyclic dependency between the failed service and the backup environment, the services weren't configured how the documentation said they were, and the software itself was four years out of date and unsupported.

I sent that email on Wednesday afternoon to the director who had reluctantly agreed to let me spend a day investigating the sort of position we were in. I estimated a week to get the service running in a VMware environment (moved from the single-disk physical box it's on at the moment, a desktop PC essentially), and document the steps to build the server down to every line to type into the terminal to ensure we had something we could use in a DR situation. I got no response at all, and the only action taken was for this guy to go and ask someone else if I was bullshitting him on the requirement for it to take a week.

:jerkbag:

I'm outta here.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Fil5000 posted:

I thought Centralia was that town that was permanently on fire.

That was my first thought as well.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Different Centralia. That one's in Pennsylvania, Midelne lives in Washington.

e: you're excused for not knowing about the Washington one, it doesn't have anything nearly so interesting as an inextinguishable coal fire going for it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sirotan posted:

poo poo pissing me off: I've been out sick for the last 4 days, just got an email from a vendor inviting me to watch a Red Wings game in their corporate suite tomorrow. I never get vendor swag, and then when I do, I don't even feel good enough to accept it. :(

Vendors never show us any love. The Pharmacy gets fed almost daily by vendors and surgery once in a while :(. The best I've ever gotten was a Barracuda shirt that's a little too small and some nice cookies from the translator machine vendors that we're replacing anyway :smith:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My first vendor swag request came in the other day. Premier of Batman vs Superman, during business hours on a Friday, boss signed off for anybody wanting to go. Just have to sit through a presentation of "becoming a network security hero" and listen to the sales pitch of whatever tool they have.

Nobody else in the office wants to go. Still thinking of going by myself because free half day + movie in an upscale theater seems worth it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

stubblyhead posted:

Different Centralia. That one's in Pennsylvania, Midelne lives in Washington.

e: you're excused for not knowing about the Washington one, it doesn't have anything nearly so interesting as an inextinguishable coal fire going for it.

Unless you count occasionally converting itself into a swimming pool noteworthy

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My first vendor swag request came in the other day. Premier of Batman vs Superman, during business hours on a Friday, boss signed off for anybody wanting to go. Just have to sit through a presentation of "becoming a network security hero" and listen to the sales pitch of whatever tool they have.

Nobody else in the office wants to go. Still thinking of going by myself because free half day + movie in an upscale theater seems worth it.

Don't give them a real phone number and be ready to set up some spam filter rules!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I had a ticket storm around 2:30 today and nobody paged me. They were all low sev but honestly they probably should have paged me on a couple of them.

That's actually the good news. I got a lot done today that had nothing to do with my work for a change.

What pisses me off is that I was stupid enough to 1. Look at the queue for the hell of the it 2. Acknowledge them. Now that I've seen them and was stupid enough to leave a paper trail it's officially my fault all this poo poo is broke and I'm lazy and bad for leaving it until tomorrow. Most likely my team will understand, and I can pin it on the helpdesk for not paging me 8 hours ago.

What pisses me off the most is how our EMR on Citrix is not only just as broken as the day we put it in 3 years ago.... it's more so. So much poo poo needs to be bounced constantly and we often have to lock out logins to certain servers because somehow they've become a problem and nobody seems to make it a priority to fix it permanently. Then the desktop guy gets poo poo on because he didn't come and reset VDIs and VMs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Don't give them a real phone number and be ready to set up some spam filter rules!
The + email operator is for this. user+foo@bar.com will get delivered to user@bar.com, but with user+foo@bar.com in the header, so then you can just filter anything sent to that address into a spam folder.

If you use a unique "foo" for each time someone begs you for your email address you'll also know who is selling it to spammers so you'll know who to avoid doing business with.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Customers who can't do electronic orders right. We have a big regional grocery/drugstore chain as a customer. They don't know how to place a cancel/change, only new orders.

So they order Widget A. Then that day, or the next day, they place another order for Widget A but down in the 'notes' field they put some poo poo like HEY WE WANT TWO NOT THREE ON THE LAST ORDER K THX

So if some hooman isn't manually looking at every order for this poo poo (they don't do orders/changes the same way, they might use notes, they might use some other field, who knows) they could get 2 when they don't even want 1. Ugh.

USE YOUR SYSTEM RIGHT PLEASE

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

The + email operator is for this. user+foo@bar.com will get delivered to user@bar.com, but with user+foo@bar.com in the header, so then you can just filter anything sent to that address into a spam folder.

If you use a unique "foo" for each time someone begs you for your email address you'll also know who is selling it to spammers so you'll know who to avoid doing business with.

Spammers are getting smart and trimming out the +foo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

McAfee is pissing me off. Detecting ADP's site as a false positive for JS/Nemucod.dp I know the answer is switch vendors but I don't really trust any virus scanner to be responsive to zero day. They all have problems, and this is easy to manage.

I have a meeting in a bit to discuss the work around and what I'm doing to resolve it. The work around is simple, the physical time clock is maybe 40 feet away, the department gets up and punches, or a manager can do it for them its a physical card not a finger print.

I don't know why we need a meeting for me to play a recorded (with permission) summery of my conversation from support saying they know about the issue and they are working on a fix. This is going to drag on for an hour isn't it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pixaal posted:

McAfee is pissing me off. Detecting ADP's site as a false positive for JS/Nemucod.dp I know the answer is switch vendors but I don't really trust any virus scanner to be responsive to zero day. They all have problems, and this is easy to manage.

I have a meeting in a bit to discuss the work around and what I'm doing to resolve it. The work around is simple, the physical time clock is maybe 40 feet away, the department gets up and punches, or a manager can do it for them its a physical card not a finger print.

I don't know why we need a meeting for me to play a recorded (with permission) summery of my conversation from support saying they know about the issue and they are working on a fix. This is going to drag on for an hour isn't it.

Whitelist the domain?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Whitelist the domain?

It's detecting the .js file in appdata once it's local.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Newegg shipped me a new server.

To my old address two states away.

After I had updated my contact info on their garbage website.
:regd13:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Newegg shipped me a new server.

To my old address two states away.

After I had updated my contact info on their garbage website.
:regd13:

You haven't even gotten to the fun part yet. Wait until you have to return it and place a new order to actually get the item then have them fight you when they claim they never saw it shipped to that old address.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Oh it's already been fun. They refused to reship or refund, now I get to hope the person at my old address hasn't stolen it, is willing to work with FedEx as a third party to return it, and that FedEx actually returns it to newegg for an RMA!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Bigass Moth posted:

Oh it's already been fun. They refused to reship or refund, now I get to hope the person at my old address hasn't stolen it, is willing to work with FedEx as a third party to return it, and that FedEx actually returns it to newegg for an RMA!

Record everything for when you end up calling your credit card company.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

1) Do you have a copy of the shipping address on your order confirmation?
2) gently caress 'em. Credit card chargeback.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

And don't use Newegg for corporate purchases. Get a real rep from a real vendor.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Potato Salad posted:

1) Do you have a copy of the shipping address on your order confirmation?
2) gently caress 'em. Credit card chargeback.

They sent a separate invoice email with the wrong address on it. I didn't read it because I already knew how much I spent. There was no shipping address on the actual order confirmation.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bigass Moth posted:

They sent a separate invoice email with the wrong address on it.

That may be enough to cover your rear end if Newegg wants to claim you're committing fraud. Talk to your legal team / representation and issue a chargeback.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
So apparently group policy is not supported on the non-ProPlus installs of Office365.

I'm seeing this in action, only half of the policies I set actually apply.

How the am I supposed to manage 200 installs of Office?

Is this a supreme 'gently caress you' to small shops or am I missing something?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Swink posted:

Is this a supreme 'gently caress you' to small shops?

Yes

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I would expect Microsoft to just not sell a retail offline office version past 2016. They're pushing more and more towards everyone being on O365 or having 300+ enterprise licensing.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
poo poo pissing me off: Windows 10 audio issues. I bought Win10 for my gaming PC and there is some messed up issue with realtek and Windows 10 that causes the audio to stutter all the loving time. Can't find anything about how to fix it, I've disabled poo poo, enabled poo poo, uninstalled drivers, reinstalled drivers, installed drivers from the chip manufacturer and the motherboard manufacturer. Nothing makes the drat stutter go away. I'm at the point of looking on new egg for the cheapest non-realtek soundcard on there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My home system has realtek as well and it's been fine with whatever drivers W10 installs by default. Realtek ALC887, driver version is 6.0.1.7535.

I would assume a hardware fault before blaming software, or maybe a loose connection somewhere. But "stuttering" can mean a lot of things.

What does bug me about W10 is hibernation is still lovely. It's about a 50/50 shot whether the system will wake up when you tap the space bar.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

captkirk posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Windows 10 audio issues. I bought Win10 for my gaming PC and there is some messed up issue with realtek and Windows 10 that causes the audio to stutter all the loving time. Can't find anything about how to fix it, I've disabled poo poo, enabled poo poo, uninstalled drivers, reinstalled drivers, installed drivers from the chip manufacturer and the motherboard manufacturer. Nothing makes the drat stutter go away. I'm at the point of looking on new egg for the cheapest non-realtek soundcard on there.

Honestly I found the best performance for these things are external sound cards that come with the pricier headsets.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

My home system has realtek as well and it's been fine with whatever drivers W10 installs by default. Realtek ALC887, driver version is 6.0.1.7535.

I would assume a hardware fault before blaming software, or maybe a loose connection somewhere. But "stuttering" can mean a lot of things.

What does bug me about W10 is hibernation is still lovely. It's about a 50/50 shot whether the system will wake up when you tap the space bar.

Hardware issue would've been my first guess if I hadn't had the exact same issue on my old PC with the Win10 dev preview before it gave up the ghost. As for lose connection, it's an onboard audio chip and I get the stuttering with speakers plugged in the back or headphones plugged into the front panel.

I should say, the audio worked fine immediately after a fresh install. It was once Windows started updating that the stuttering started.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
A user's proposed solution to filling up his new workstation's 256GB boot SSD (workstation also has a 2TB storage HDD) due to installing and syncing Dropbox with its defaults on is to replace the new computer altogether.

:negative:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

captkirk posted:

By stutter do you mean makes an audible beeping sound and causes the video to blink a bit? This is an error caused by analog volume adjusters such as the ones on the Logitech G series keyboards. Logitech still hasn't fixed it as far as I know. Just don't touch the volume control. Based on early posts about it (win10 beta) old versions of Windows would only check each USB port for input every so often, windows 10 checks it as a stream and the analog adjustment keeps windows unable to do anything else.

If by stutter you mean actual stuttering you probably have some hardware issue, but the issue I had seemed like an audio issue until I dug into it.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I'm apparently triggered by customers bragging about their employees having local admin on their computers and the owner in particular taking pleasure in shutting down their IT guy's attempts to changing this. Somewhat related, one of my co-workers said he set up a local admin account to fix a scanning problem he was sent to take care of. I think I died a little bit on the inside.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Llab posted:

I'm apparently triggered by customers bragging about their employees having local admin on their computers and the owner in particular taking pleasure in shutting down their IT guy's attempts to changing this. Somewhat related, one of my co-workers said he set up a local admin account to fix a scanning problem he was sent to take care of. I think I died a little bit on the inside.

Depending on the scanner, that might be the only solution. And if the owner doesn't back up not giving it out...

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

A user's proposed solution to filling up his new workstation's 256GB boot SSD (workstation also has a 2TB storage HDD) due to installing and syncing Dropbox with its defaults on is to replace the new computer altogether.

:negative:

Acquiesce, and replace it with a workstation that is just slightly shittier by every metric, except for dropbox being mapped correctly.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Depending on the scanner, that might be the only solution. And if the owner doesn't back up not giving it out...

If you dig enough you should be able to find the folder you need to give them full control of. I had software writing to the root of C:\Windows. I'm pretty sure giving control to the files was basically giving admin. We couldn't even look into other software since it was for connecting to a state database.

They "updated" it with new software and a new name, the new software did the same poo poo.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Pissing me off:

We have machines that use two different, incompatable management systems? We have two different builds of the same viewer for these environments? Each build only works explicitally with one type of environment? They have the same Icon?

Burn in hell.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Speaking of management systems, I wish people would stop logging in to my servers, opening a management console, and then never signing their session off. Found one of my Citrix controllers throwing high memory utilization warnings because two people with sessions with weeks of idle time were taking up almost a GB of memory. They do this with the file servers too.

It's even caught some of them when they changed their password and their idle sessions flipped out and locked their accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc758177(v=ws.10).aspx