Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

poor lil feller

Gossamer :qq:

So I guess I wasted $2 credit on a set of Foul-Tongue Invocations... unless the 4 life is super relevant in the new Standard.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

:love:

I'm a sucker for RG walkers though. I miss my one drop mana dorks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

On one hand, heck yes this is rad.

On the other hand, the RG werewolf planeswalker makes me worry about the possibility of the RG werewolf legendary creature. I guess it could be in Moon but...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lots of play to this card. Come into play, make a 2/2 and then start bolting stuff next turn? Seems good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Seems good.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

mcmagic posted:

This being a rare is dumb.

Assuming you mean To the Slaughter, its playable removal, so

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Arlinn looks extremely fun, though maybe not impactful enough to be played.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the image is broken for me and the article isn't appearing aaaaaaa

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
use imgur you fool!!!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Terrible Horse posted:

Assuming you mean To the Slaughter, its playable removal, so

It's more that it mentions planeswalkers

I think the only card with word "planeswalker" appearing on it below rare is despise

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

To the Slaughter looks amazing, but I feel like it should be uncommon, but whatever. Looks like it might be a sideboard card.

It interacts with Planeswalkers so it's automatically a Rare. Otherwise a 3-mana edict would probably be an Uncommon.

Can't have kids opening an Uncommon and going "Wow. What's a Planeswalker?" with the potential to have one in the same pack.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

This being a rare is dumb.

Its upside is not actually relevant in limited though

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
She's good. Not broken or splash-worthy, especially if the mana is as mediocre as everyone expects, but she'll see play and be a good card in any GR deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mandatory lesbian posted:

simmer down child

GeneX posted:

She's good. Not broken or splash-worthy, especially if the mana is as mediocre as everyone expects, but she'll see play and be a good card in any GR deck.
Her loyalty starts pretty low and the normal play pattern is probably to flip her immediately for 0 loyalty, which is her biggest draw back. The good thing is that she has 3 different ways to defend herself.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

On one hand, heck yes this is rad.

On the other hand, the RG werewolf planeswalker makes me worry about the possibility of the RG werewolf legendary creature. I guess it could be in Moon but...

This would be the most hilarious case of misunderstanding what the players wanted. "What? You guys wanted a legendary Werewolf? Well how about we do you one better!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GeneX posted:

If you can play her on T3 she's really good. If you can't she's pretty meh. She's also a very mediocre topdeck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cool, it seems pretty good tho i bet most situations you're gonna flip it ASAP just so you have access to the bolt

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
So how exactly does Odric work?

If you have him out all your creatures have First Strike (Easy enough)

If you have him and a Flyer the flyer has FS and DTouch?

If you have him, the flyer and a creature already with FS and DTouch that creature gets Double Strike?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

So, Arlinn can't even be a commander? Haha, EDH people are going to be pissed.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

80s James Hetfield posted:

So how exactly does Odric work?

If you have him out all your creatures have First Strike (Easy enough)

If you have him and a Flyer the flyer has FS and DTouch?

If you have him, the flyer and a creature already with FS and DTouch that creature gets Double Strike?

If any of your creatures have any of the evergreen mechanics listed, all of your creatures do. Well, at the start of combat until end of turn, but that's the idea

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

Lots of play to this card. Come into play, make a 2/2 and then start bolting stuff next turn? Seems good.

She transforms when she bolts something so you go back and forth between make a 2/2 and bolting until she dies. It's incredibly slow. She's really bad at being removal and isn't meant to control the board.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nibble posted:

This would be the most hilarious case of misunderstanding what the players wanted. "What? You guys wanted a legendary Werewolf? Well how about we do you one better!"

Especially since the literal quote from state of design 2012 was

quote:

Commander has become a very popular format and not giving it a Werewolf commander was a big letdown for a lot of players.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
They can still have a legendary werewolf at rare

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GeneX posted:

If any of your creatures have any of the evergreen mechanics listed, all of your creatures do.

But only during your attack step.

Cernunnos posted:

She transforms when she bolts something so you go back and forth between make a 2/2 and bolting until she dies. It's incredibly slow. She's really bad at being removal and isn't meant to control the board.

Yeah. Like I said, on T3 she can really get you ahead and keep you ahead but in other situations she seems meh.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

GeneX posted:

If any of your creatures have any of the evergreen mechanics listed, all of your creatures do. Well, at the start of combat until end of turn, but that's the idea

Ok, so if you have Odric and Soulfire Grand Master out all your creatures have First Strike and Lifelink?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

If you can play her on T3 she's really good. If you can't she's pretty meh. She's also a very mediocre topdeck.

Slow down chief, it is a little early for that. She is very sorin like where her plus supports creatures and her minus produces/kills creatures. Its a really flexible card. I could see where there is a concern that there is no immediate, sweeping effect when you play her off the top of the deck later, but there is a chance she is a solid walker in a r/g stompy/aggressive/midrange/whatever. She looks to be hands down better than nahiri at least, at least without playing with the cards.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

They can't because there's only one multicolor card on the checklist (for SOI)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The legendary werewolf could be mono-green with a red activated ability. That'd still work as an R/G werewolf commander because of ~*~COLOR IDENTITY~*~

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
^^^^ Or your idea. I like your idea.

e2: Or one face could be one color and the other face could be another color, which IIRC would also work under the assbackwards interpretation held by Sheldon and the rules council

dragon enthusiast posted:

I mean they could still have a mono-color legendary werewolf but that would be really dumb because they'd use up their imaginary legendary werewolf equity on something that could only rep one of the tribe's colors in Commander

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Slow down chief, it is a little early for that. She is very sorin like where her plus supports creatures and her minus produces/kills creatures. Its a really flexible card. I could see where there is a concern that there is no immediate, sweeping effect when you play her off the top of the deck later, but there is a chance she is a solid walker in a r/g stompy/aggressive/midrange/whatever. She looks to be hands down better than nahiri.

She's not as good a creature supporter as Sorin is but she isn't bad (though she's dependent on how the big green creature deck is...) and she's better than him on an empty board.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Those are a lot of cool effects but having to jump through hoops to get the one you want probably means that she's going to be a turn too slow no matter what.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

it could be green > red or vice versa, or just not transform because it's weird with legendaries

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

80s James Hetfield posted:

Ok, so if you have Odric and Soulfire Grand Master out all your creatures have First Strike and Lifelink?

He himself doesn't actually have first strike, unless I'm misreading the card. But from your combat step until end of turn, all your creatures have lifelink.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I suppose it could also be G or R on one side and the other on the other, since that affects color identity. Archangel Avacyn is an RW commander this way.

Thing is, checklist 2 in Tabak's mechanics article has only one gold card.

It's Arlinn.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I suppose it could also be G or R on one side and the other on the other, since that affects color identity. Archangel Avacyn is an RW commander this way.

Thing is, checklist 2 in Tabak's mechanics article has only one gold card.

It's Arlinn.

Green one is the Maro werewolf, so the legendary would have to be the remaining potential red->green card.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Wanna build a naya walkers deck with Chandra, nahiri, Gideon and Arlin.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

If you can get Arlinn into Chandra, I think her Wolf side's +1 is extremely good in combination with Chandra's +1. I almost wonder if Nissa into Arlinn into Chandra could be a thing since Arlinn's + side seems like it would end the game rapidly and Nissa brings a ton of defense to the table there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I want to play Arlinn, but there's definitely some awkward bits to her. In an R/G aggressive deck (which I kind of assume is her natural home, mmmaybe she slots into something more midrange?) you want to drop here, pop out a wolf, and then start pumping your team on the way to her ult (which is fairly attainable, I think, even though you do have to take the turn to transform her so it's not as fast as it looks), except that unlike the front side's vigilance, that's stripping away a lot of her defense. I think she's going to be trickier to play with than she looks.

Basically I think that despite being a strong ability, the bolt kind of throws off what you really want to be doing with her.

• Locked thread