Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like this is the kind of game where the assassination strategies are the only thing worth discussing, so if you're worried about that stuff being spoiled then just don't come into the thread. What else is there to talk about in a Hitman game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like this is the kind of game where the assassination strategies are the only thing worth discussing, so if you're worried about that stuff being spoiled then just don't come into the thread. What else is there to talk about in a Hitman game?

Everything other than the strategies of the game? Like the quality of various aspects, the scripting, sharing videos, stories of when you hosed up or succeeded, stories about the elusive targets, escalation or contracts mode? There's plenty to discuss about the game that isn't specific to stuff that a player might want to discover (Which I'll stress again is the main point of a Hitman game for the more hardcore fans)

It's entirely possible to still discuss the game but to black out specifics for people who would rather not see them. Sure, there might be more tags in this thread than the average game thread, but this is a different kind of game. It only takes a few seconds to add a tag, and it benefits people a lot more than it inconveniences you.

I like reading about things in Hitman games, and I can usually tell before spoiler tags if I'm already privy to certain information so I can freely reveal the rest of the info and enjoy the story and how it differed or related to mine.

It's not a big deal to tag certain things is what I'm saying.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If that was a follow-up to my unspoilered thing (the only thing I've left unspoilered), I don't think "I stuffed a guy in a closet after choking him out" is really creative enough to get upset over. It's not some cool easter egg, it's like Basic Hitman 101.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

The whole thing about Hitman (ESPECIALLY this Hitman with it's episodic model and map size/scripting) is that it's really replayable because of the amount of experimentation and discovery, and reading through the thread casually only to glance over a cool way to kill a target kinda robs people of the sense of discovery or thought process that goes into figuring it out for themselves.

Most if not all the opportunities are outlined in the Opportunity menu. They may not fully describe poo poo but it's there anyway. I didn't know about a safe room possibility though.

Only things that briefly curtailed immersion were 1) nobody giving a poo poo to warn Viktor once I took out Dahlia with a bomb, even much later after the fact, and 2) Viktor's guard doesn't seem to care why I followed him into the bathroom after he got a bit sick. Maybe he just thinks I was being a nice waiter and checking in or something, who knows. Not a huge thing but I do find it odd how killing one target doesn't trigger certain precautions against the other.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maybe avoid the thread if you don't wanna learn about cool ways of killing peeps

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

Most if not all the opportunities are outlined in the Opportunity menu.

They're also able to be turned off via the options for precisely the reasons I've stated: because people want to discover them for themselves since that is a big draw for Hitman games and why people still play Blood Money 10 years later.

I'm not asking people not to talk about anything. Just asking for some spoiler tags. It's really not a big deal, and not unreasonable at all, but I guess if people are so hostile to the idea then maybe I should look for a better place to discuss the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can shoot people in the face

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can shoot people in the face

Clever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The sniper rifle not being collapsible into the briefcase is a weird omission. Finding out that I basically had to sneak around everywhere while I was carrying it took some of the excitement out of unlocking it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Basebf555 posted:

The sniper rifle not being collapsible into the briefcase is a weird omission. Finding out that I basically had to sneak around everywhere while I was carrying it took some of the excitement out of unlocking it.

Woah,that seems like a weird choice on the designers part :stare: how do they expect you to be stealthy without putting your sniper in your briefcase?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Game definitely gets better with repeat plays. I was a bit overwhelmed on my first run of Paris but doing it a few times and picking different ways is so much fun.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I find that Rat Poison is probably the best item in the game, it makes killing Viktor and Dahlia really easy and pretty essential for the ol Silent Assassin runs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Game definitely gets better with repeat plays. I was a bit overwhelmed on my first run of Paris but doing it a few times and picking different ways is so much fun.

The area is way bigger than I realized on my first run through. Tons of little side areas around different parts of the outside of the building, and the basement is like its own little world.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Aside from the abysmal loading times (PS4), I'm loving the new game. I've been attacking the Paris level different ways each time I load it up.

I honestly can't think of a better way to help guide players into the more *interesting* methods of completing missions than the way they implemented Opportunities, and it's easily ignored or shut off entirely if you want to go full hardcore. I know that I'm enjoying it, and there's a lot of random items and conversations that I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to follow up without them, so... anecdotal evidence ahoy.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mr Scumbag posted:

I don't want to be a dick

Every miniscule byte of your posting ITT and on the forums screams otherwise.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

The area is way bigger than I realized on my first run through. Tons of little side areas around different parts of the outside of the building, and the basement is like its own little world.

Yeah it's really well done and if this is the standard for levels they've set, I'm going to be very happy with the game as a whole. I've run through it maybe a dozen times now and I'm still finding new little areas or conversations. There are still some annoying bugs (one I found recently was that if you shoot out a camera, then save, if you load that save later the game remembers that the camera has already been shot, but forgets that it should then stop working; thus you end up getting recorded by broken cameras and because they're already broken you can't shoot them to break them again), but for the most part they're fairly minor. This really does feel like the follow up to Blood Money we all wanted Absolution to be.

I think my one actual complaint, aside from bugs, is that there isn't really a lot of reason to do contracts mode - in Absolution contracts had a whole system of progression of its own with weapon purchases and modding that you'd unlock with cash earned by doing contracts - the closer you matched the specifics of the contract, the more money you got. The problem was that the level design just didn't really give you much to work with. There were maybe one or two interesting NPCs in a level besides the primary targets, and the rest were just generic guard #32 standing in front of a door. Hitman 2016, on the other hand, has a ton of extra NPCs with their own routines and dialog, completely unconnected to the main targets, but the only reward for doing contracts is leaderboards and who gives a poo poo about those?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think my one actual complaint, aside from bugs, is that there isn't really a lot of reason to do contracts mode - in Absolution contracts had a whole system of progression of its own with weapon purchases and modding that you'd unlock with cash earned by doing contracts - the closer you matched the specifics of the contract, the more money you got. The problem was that the level design just didn't really give you much to work with. There were maybe one or two interesting NPCs in a level besides the primary targets, and the rest were just generic guard #32 standing in front of a door. Hitman 2016, on the other hand, has a ton of extra NPCs with their own routines and dialog, completely unconnected to the main targets, but the only reward for doing contracts is leaderboards and who gives a poo poo about those?

Yea it would be nice to have some character progression build into Contracts mode. Still, I do find it entertaining to find a contract that only like 10 or 15 people have completed and try to get to the top of the leaderboard. I'm not used to appearing on video game leaderboards, usually I suck way too much.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Christ gamers these days are dense. Whether wilfully or not.

Games are a lot bigger, have more moving parts, and prettier than they were TEN YEARS AGO. It takes a lot longer and a lot more money to make them. There's more detail in the Paris map than all of BM combined. Probably 100x more polygons, sound effects, textures, etc. These maps are bigger, more detailed and have ongoing support. Also, SE wants to see how it goes before spending 50-100 million on development and marketing for a game that might not make it back. PUBLISHERS LIKE TO MAKE MONEY AND NOT WASTE IT MORE NEWS AT FIVE.

It gets really tiring seeing the same bullshit complaints, time and time again, especially when it's so obvious why these things are the way they are. Comparing games that are ten years apart in both design and budget and the difference in the industry is loving dumb. It's really loving dumb.

You don't have to like it, but it's about time people start accepting certain realities instead of whining about things because it isn't exactly like the times they remember with rose-tinted glasses. poo poo's different now, if you hate it so much go take up pottery or something.

10 years from now:

"God gamers are dense. Of course a game nowadays would only have one level, can you imagine the millions of polygons that have to be scripted for each bathroom tile? The lighting in that same bathroom that took 20 software engineers 3 weeks to get right? The complex moving patterns of 50 NPC's in this level?

What, you want variety in your game? You want to visit different locales and setups? No, the future is one level with an infinite amount of contracts. Nothing changes, but if you use your imagination this game can last years!"

This is such bullshit. Blood Money was 10x the better game, and I'd rather play Contracts or Silent Assasin any day over this one. I mean, I enjoyed the tutorials and Paris, but this trend of bigger levels with less variety is just a way to cheap out on gamers, and you guys just slurp it up.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
When it comes to Hitman, I'll take what I can get.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I mean I'd take 10 bm or hitman 2 sized levels over 1 paris, but what can ya do? :shrug:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Kontradaz posted:

What, you want variety in your game? You want to visit different locales and setups? No, the future is one level with an infinite amount of contracts. Nothing changes, but if you use your imagination this game can last years!"

IOI have said that if the first season does well, they could keep right on going and develop a second season with new locations. So we could very well get a game that lasts years, because it could be a Calladooty situation where they just keep developing the game and releasing new content (that we have to keep paying for, but whatev) in perpetuity.

Kontradaz posted:

This is such bullshit. Blood Money was 10x the better game, and I'd rather play Contracts or Silent Assasin any day over this one.

If you use your imagination, those games could last years.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

WindyMan posted:

IOI have said that if the first season does well, they could keep right on going and develop a second season with new locations. So we could very well get a game that lasts years, because it could be a Calladooty situation where they just keep developing the game and releasing new content (that we have to keep paying for, but whatev) in perpetuity.

If you use your imagination, those games could last years.

I'm criticizing the idea that development resources are increasingly put into creating more detailed and beautiful locations at the expense of being able to create more GAMEPLAY. It's a move from the focus on the level as being the dynamic factor, and a move towards making the things in the level dynamic therefore decreasing the need for more levels. It's a great way to fool people into thinking they are getting the same amount of content, but in actuality it's just a skinner-box of "challenges" that keep you playing and not novelty.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I highly recommend dressing up as a vampire and going on a rampage, the radio conversations the guards have about you are hilarious.

"Perp's bald, stone-faced, looks like your average vampire."

"Someone please tell me why he's dressed like a loving vampire?!"

etc.

They sure recorded a lot of vampire dialogue.

I also discovered there's no real repercussions to dropping 10 people out the same window into the crowd, other than a large pile of bodybags which everyone ignores after the initial shock.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Kontradaz posted:

I'm criticizing the idea that development resources are increasingly put into creating more detailed and beautiful locations at the expense of being able to create more GAMEPLAY. It's a move from the focus on the level as being the dynamic factor, and a move towards making the things in the level dynamic therefore decreasing the need for more levels. It's a great way to fool people into thinking they are getting the same amount of content, but in actuality it's just a skinner-box of "challenges" that keep you playing and not novelty.

Nah, you're just one of those bandwagon whiners who hate everything about gaming while indulging in it anyway. You aren't fooling anyone. You earnestly think that because people enjoy something that you don't that they're "brainwashed" or don't know any better. There's also the possibility that they enjoy games the way they are, y'know? What you don't realise is that the industry has moved on and you're a loving idiot who can't move with it and has to blame everyone else for not conforming to your idea of fun.

Sorry to burst that bubble of yours, chum.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 15, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kontradaz posted:

I get what you're saying, but if there's entire areas and NPC storylines in the level that aren't at all apparent at first glance, and its absolutely impossible to discover everything in one or two run-throughs, to me that qualifies as "more content". If I'm trying to kill a target I've never encountered before, AND the target has their own backstory and routine to figure out, AND it all takes place in an area I didn't even know existed, that's not just playing the same level over and over.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I get what you're saying, but if there's entire areas and NPC storylines in the level that aren't at all apparent at first glance, and its absolutely impossible to discover everything in one or two run-throughs, to me that qualifies as "more content". If I'm trying to kill a target I've never encountered before, AND the target has their own backstory and routine to figure out, AND it all takes place in an area I didn't even know existed, that's not just playing the same level over and over.

This. It took me a while to find out how to disguise myself as Helmut Kruger, but once I perused that avenue with aplomb I was stunned at what it turned into. That the location is the same is completely irrelevant. You might as well be playing the level for the first time, given what you discover along the way.

Based on the challenges I still need to do, I'm confident there are still two or three completely fresh paths to take that I don't have the slightest clue on how to get to yet.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Badchay posted:

I liked the new game.... well, at least until this happened like ten minutes ago

It just threw me to the main menu in the middle of the Showstopper level and attempting to reconnect to the server failed. And yes, it's definitely the game/servers, not my connection.

Yeah this is happening to everyone quite regularly. I probably got booted off 7 or 8 times this weekend before just giving up and saying gently caress it after I beat the level once.

The best part of this is that you know this same thing is going to happen every single time they release a new level unless they decide to stop being bastards and allow offline play, since their online component is completely extraneous.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

Nah, you're just one of those bandwagon whiners who hate everything about gaming while indulging in it anyway. You aren't fooling anyone. You earnestly think that because people enjoy something that you don't that they're "brainwashed" or don't know any better. There's also the possibility that they enjoy games the way they are, y'know? What you don't realise is that the industry has moved on and you're a loving idiot who can't move with it and has to blame everyone else for not conforming to your idea of fun.

Sorry to burst that bubble of yours, chum.

Ok seriously did you work on the game or something because you seem extremely upset about this

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WindyMan posted:

This. It took me a while to find out how to disguise myself as Helmut Kruger,.

I still don't know how to do this :cool:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've seen Kruger around at certain points during the show, but its never been in a place where I could isolate him. I haven't tried following him around yet though.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I had to "cheat" a bit and turn on full opportunities tracking to find out where the heck he goes. I turned it off once I found out. If you're looking for him, your best bet is to start in the dressing room as a stylist and don't let him out of your sight, but let him go through his full routine before you take his outfit. It's surprising.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Woah,that seems like a weird choice on the designers part :stare: how do they expect you to be stealthy without putting your sniper in your briefcase?

If you're in a disguise that's allowed to carry weapons, like security guards, you can just run around with it. I do miss the briefcase though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

UrbicaMortis posted:

If you're in a disguise that's allowed to carry weapons, like security guards, you can just run around with it.

Ah the good ol' regulation sniper rifle.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I've seen Kruger around at certain points during the show, but its never been in a place where I could isolate him. I haven't tried following him around yet though.

You can find him early on on the grounds by the helicopter being photographed. He then wanders off to a semi-private spot to call Dalia.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ah the good ol' regulation sniper rifle.

"We have a counter-sniper?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WindyMan posted:

I had to "cheat" a bit and turn on full opportunities tracking to find out where the heck he goes. I turned it off once I found out. If you're looking for him, your best bet is to start in the dressing room as a stylist and don't let him out of your sight, but let him go through his full routine before you take his outfit. It's surprising.

I think I know the ending at least. When I was disguised as the Sheik and went to the auction, I overheard Helmut in a meeting with Dalia where she's giving him some sort of orders, but I wasn't paying close attention. So I'm thinking maybe he's like a undercover male-model spy, like he's IAGO's James Bond but he stays under the radar by working for them as a model.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

Basebf555 posted:

I think I know the ending at least. When I was disguised as the Sheik and went to the auction, I overheard Helmut in a meeting with Dalia where she's giving him some sort of orders, but I wasn't paying close attention. So I'm thinking maybe he's like a undercover male-model spy, like he's IAGO's James Bond but he stays under the radar by working for them as a model.

Yeah it's pretty nifty; if you dress up as him you can even attend that meeting in his place after walking the catwalk and she hands you a bottle of arsenic after filling you in on the mission

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chumpion posted:

Yeah it's pretty nifty; if you dress up as him you can even attend that meeting in his place after walking the catwalk and she hands you a bottle of arsenic after filling you in on the mission

The differences in that meeting between you attending it as Helmut and the actual Helmut attending it are really hilarious.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

She's sending him out to seduce a beautiful young heiress to get intel from her father. But this is his first gig as a spy, hence how nervous he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Chumpion posted:

Which you can then immediately use to kill her with But you need to be quick and tricky in hiding the body behind a sofa without raising suspicion.