Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope FF VX comes out this year so people in the FF thread have something new to argue about.

The mere existence of Final Fantasy 15 makes every Final Fantasy-focused thread everywhere more insufferable. Final Fantasy must lead a difficult existence, being the only relevant Japanese role-playing game in the Western hemisphere.

I Am Setsuna, the official overseas name of いけにえと雪のセツナ, looks like a nice game, though. I suppose the combat system does bare resemblance to Chrono Trigger, but I have no problem with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No that's FF13

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Art's kinda bad, but oh well

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/rUKM8hG.png :nws:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

No that's FF13
Look, I'm smart enough to know that Azure_Horizon (peace be upon his soul) is not indicative of the Final Fantasy gamer community as a whole, but the taint of 15 still persists.

Final Fantasy exists as an ethereal presence of delayed release dates and mildly unfulfilled promises, and as of right now, 15 proves no different. I will still partake in it on day 1, however.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm interested in this

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

LawfulWaffle posted:

My mother bought me the Unofficial Strategy Guide to Final Fantasy VII when I was a freshman in high school. It came with a poster of the entire party. I was really into the game at the time, and would take the guide and poster (I don't know why I took the poster) with me to school to read as a normal person might read a book. I kept the guide in a freezer bag so the quality of my Unofficial Strategy Guide to Final Fantasy VII would not be compromised. One day at school, a teacher confiscated the poster because Tifa's breasts were too big and it was generally too provocative. I could have it back if I had my mother come claim it from the principal's office. Of course, I was too embarrassed to ask my mom to rescue my big boobie video game poster for it ever to be returned to me. Another day, while at lunch, a senior student I did not know approached me while I was reading my strategy guide. He asked to borrow it over the weekend because he was having problems in the game. He promised to return it after the weekend. I never saw him or my guide (or the freezer bag I kept it in) again.

Later that year, a classmate asked to borrow my copy of Final Fantasy VII. I was one disk 3, so I lent him disks 1 and 2. A few days later he told me that my disk 1 had broken into pieces while in his console. This person went on to bully me until I made friend with upper classmen.

I have a complicated relationship with the video game Final Fantasy VII.

I was the same way about my Ocarina of Time strategy guide, to the point where my contribution to my elementary school's Invention Convention was a device that that would hold your guide open on top of your TV so you could game and read it at the same time.

When Majora's Mask came out I didn't have the money to buy it so I bought the strategy guide and pored over it until I got the game for Christmas, which meant there was zero actual exploration or mystery for me because I already knew every puzzle solution and plot beat. :sigh:

Call me when they make a bara dating sim. Or an actual bear dating sim.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

It's funny that of all JRPGs the Shadow Hearts series is the one where organized religion isn't the bad guy. The Catholic Church did some real hosed up poo poo in the series' past, but pretty much every religious person in Shadow Hearts is either a good guy or morally gray figure.

I dunno, sapientes gladios or whatever they were called were kinda bad tho I think they were just pretend religious? And in shadow hearts 1 the final boss is intended to be a being that ancient society decided was God, wasn't it?

It was really lame playing through shadow hearts and finding out that if you beat the second-to-last dungeon's boss, that you got locked out of stuff. I'm lucky I saw a guide and had a save from before beating him so that I could do all of the sidequest stuff that only unlocks when you first go into the monastery. Still missed out on going to Kowloon tho because I gave the funny answers during the torture session lol

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

I dunno, sapientes gladios or whatever they were called were kinda bad tho I think they were just pretend religious? And in shadow hearts 1 the final boss is intended to be a being that ancient society decided was God, wasn't it?
Sapientes Gladio was originally a religious organization but once Rasputin hijacked it and turned into his own personal organization it stopped being that. Also MetaGod is just a really powerful alien, not the God, but yeah Simon says that people once thought it was a god.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 15, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

FirstAidKite posted:

Still missed out on going to Kowloon tho because I gave the funny answers during the torture session lol

Kowloon's not a very large dungeon but it's still neat to see because the real-life Kowloon was such a unique and messed up thing. Plus you get to beat up Wugui (who has seen better days) again in his weird flesh-filled room.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

When if ever does Bulletstorm get funny

That's a fun game

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

StashAugustine posted:

When if ever does Bulletstorm get funny

When you kick open a gate and it swings back and smashes you in the face

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Good morning games chat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Good morning!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Starting my morning off right with a banana, some juice, and League
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQv0-4PN0Y

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have not had a chance to play it much yet, but Salt and Sanctuary seems like a really cool game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So Tearaway Unfolded is...a game.

It is Exceedingly Beautiful.

It is also boring and uh

I mean, I dunno, how much do you enjoy papercrafts? Because...I mean, you can do paper crafts and...collect them and stuff. It's kind of like a 3-D adventure title in the vein of Banjo and Kazooie, but the collectibles are all art projects, and the PS4 controller isn't nearly as good for this as I presume the Vita screen would be. And the game is really pretty but it's like "Hey if you had a Playstation Camera you could play more of this game but you don't so too bad!" and it's like, well, thanks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the Vita you made your face the bad guy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The vita version was really cool. I like tearaway a lot.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

On the Vita you made your face the bad guy

That's cool, but the gameplay feels pretty insubstantial beyond all the cutsey arts and crafts stuff. Like, maybe it's meaningful gameplay to draw a guy a moustache, but it's all kind of the same to me and I'm not good at nor terribly interested in putting decorations on my messenger's face.

The graphics looks exquisite on the PS4 though, the color, lighting and especially the movement physics on the paper environments is spellbinding. I got to this big open field and it was honestly jaw-droppingly good looking.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

axleblaze posted:

I have not had a chance to play it much yet, but Salt and Sanctuary seems like a really cool game.

Agreed, I want to pick it up but my gametime is currently on bravely second which will likely hold me over til Dark Souls 3.

I've had less time to game over the past year but it makes it all the sweeter when I can.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPcXe7-_fDc

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

I wanted to play this really bad.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

That combat looks like rear end.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That combat looks like rear end.

Yeah nothing looks more fun than fast enemies who knock you down.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
but then you get to drink whiskey

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While the game tells you why it's soooo good

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lady Naga posted:

Good morning games chat.

Good evening games chat.
Today my day started with a great deal: half tooth off. :toot:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Good grief! I am exceptionally excited for this and hope it doesn't stray too far from current visuals!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

yikes, stardew valley is a very tough game

Also: Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

Also: Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

That is the perfect way to describe the tomato fruit situation.

Looking forward to some PSN releases today and I'm still jealous of the Euros and their access to Bravely Second. I would trade you guys FE Fates for Bravely in a heart beat.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

These guys look like they enjoy getting beaten up a little too much.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
FROMs design team are very good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

Good grief! I am exceptionally excited for this and hope it doesn't stray too far from current visuals!

I'm looking forward to System Shock but with an actually playable control system

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tiger Millionaire posted:

FROMs design team are very good

Huh, didn't know a precedent for "partially human shellfish monstrosity" had already been set by Fromsoft prior to Bloodborne. Guess there really are no new ideas under the moon.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

bloodychill posted:

That is the perfect way to describe the tomato fruit situation.

Looking forward to some PSN releases today and I'm still jealous of the Euros and their access to Bravely Second. I would trade you guys FE Fates for Bravely in a heart beat.

Deal.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Huh, didn't know a precedent for "partially human shellfish monstrosity" had already been set by Fromsoft prior to Bloodborne. Guess there really are no new ideas under the moon.

I haven't played Bloodborne because I don't have a PS4, but I bet it doesn't have headless monkeys with buttholes which automatically makes it an inferior game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

I haven't played Bloodborne because I don't have a PS4, but I bet it doesn't have headless monkeys with buttholes which automatically makes it an inferior game.

Instead it has giant pigs with giant buttholes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Also when you riposte the pigs you punch them really hard in the butt.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx6e3gxSoJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think the biggest letdown of Tearaway is that it has too much natural sound and not enough music. Given the game's look and the feel of playing it, the landscapes are enhanced by a sweeping score, yet the soundtrack is surprisingly understated and doesn't get a lot of play, and the natural sounds don't really add anything to the otherwise great visual landscapes.

Like, they should make a Tearaway 2 but have the guy who directed Banjo Kazooie helm it.

• Locked thread