Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did anyone point out that generally terror attacks aren't committed by people who just flew in from Syria so if you're concerned about a terror attack it doesn't actually make a huge amount of sense, statistically, to look at recent Syrian immigrants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Can someone link me some racist and sexist mises.org articles? Just the most blatantly lovely ones you can find, really. I got a live one I'm talking to who doesn't believe any libertarian had done or said anything bad.

Edit:

Specifically whoever it was who said "keeping out the darkies is morally correct".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://mises.org/library/ten-reasons-not-abolish-slavery

quote:

Slavery is natural. People differ, and we must expect that those who are superior in a certain way — for example, in intelligence, morality, knowledge, technological prowess, or capacity for fighting — will make themselves the masters of those who are inferior in this regard. Abraham Lincoln expressed this idea in one of his famous 1858 debates with Senator Stephen Douglas:

There is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

I'm not saying black people are literally subhuman and it is our moral imperative to enslave them, but what do you think of this quote eh?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 12, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

https://mises.org/library/ten-reasons-not-abolish-slavery

I'm not saying black people are literally subhuman and it is our moral imperative to enslave them, but what do you think of this quote eh?

But isn't that article not saying those arguments are good, but rather saying that those arguments are exactly the same, both intellectually and morally, as the arguments for abolishing the State?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who What Now posted:

But isn't that article not saying those arguments are good, but rather saying that those arguments are exactly the same, both intellectually and morally, as the arguments for abolishing the State?

I dunno, I didn't read it, I don't want brain damage.

I was just looking back through the recent competition about 10 pages back for finding the worst mises article and that one stuck out.

Also, I mean, libertarians actually do defend slavery so I feel I can be forgiven for taking it at face value.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 12, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think it started from hostility toward processed foods from how much fire the corn-filled garbage that is everywhere has been coming under. The problem though isn't food processing itself but how it's being processed; the food industry often maximizes cheap calories (i.e., corn) to make food as cheaply as possible that just happens to suck when it comes to nutrition. Then a study comes out and says "hey all this hyper-processed corn isn't good for you, eat less of it."

No, it isn't "how" it's being processed, it's simply that we eat way too much. Today's food doesn't suck when it comes to nutrition, it's better than food's ever been for the majority of people for the majority of history. We just, again, eat way too much.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

No, it isn't "how" it's being processed, it's simply that we eat way too much. Today's food doesn't suck when it comes to nutrition, it's better than food's ever been for the majority of people for the majority of history. We just, again, eat way too much.

You seem to acknowledge no causal connection between how a food is composed, and how it affects a person's eating habits. Like, just because there are pathological cases where someone with a healthy diet can include a few Cheetos in that diet and still be extremely healthy, you want to do away with the idea that a food itself may be given the label "bad" or "unhealthy," because the entire diet wasn't calculated with it.

What you need to do is take a moment to understand how everyone else communicates with one another. When we don't have other details to fill in, we assume a typical scenario. In the case of food in America, that means e.g. an unfulfilled couch potato shoving his hand in a big bag of Cheetos, because the vanishing caloric density compels him to want more with each bite.

The combination of minimizing cost with cheap corn, and maximizing stimulation with salt, sugar, and fat, is what causes people to eat too much of the bullshit that we manufacture, instead of foods with more micronutrients and carbs that take longer to metabolize, and whose energy can therefore be meted out throughout the day.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, but they are also arguments I've heard for the gold standard. It's "natural" because it has "intrinsic value." Gold has always existed. It kept societies stable for thousands of years (it didn't). Every culture used gold. Where the common people have fiat, they are even worse off than before!

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 15, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

"It's simply that we eat too much" is a gross oversimplification, though. What you eat can play a big role in how you eat. If everyone was just eating home-cooked meat and vegetables you'd have a point, but there's a lot of science studying how different foods effect hunger in ways that are different from the amount of energy that they provide. 100 calories of Wonder Bread doesn't make you feel as full as 100 calories of sourdough, basically.

There's also some interesting studies suggesting that gut flora can have a significant role to play with regard to obesity, and what we eat has a significant impact on our gut flora. So as usual, "you're just eating too much" is not the right thing to tell an obese person

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 15, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

"It's simply that we eat too much" is a gross oversimplification, though. What you eat can play a big role in how you eat. If everyone was just eating home-cooked meat and vegetables you'd have a point, but there's a lot of science studying how different foods effect hunger in ways that are different from the amount of energy that they provide. 100 calories of Wonder Bread doesn't make you feel as full as 100 calories of sourdough, basically.

There's also some interesting studies suggesting that gut flora can have a significant role to play with regard to obesity, and what we eat has a significant impact on our gut flora. So as usual, "you're just eating too much" is not the right thing to tell an obese person

It is not an oversimplification, it is literally the problem. What Americans, or indeed the rest of the fat world eats hasn't changed much over the past few decades, what has mostly changed is how much, namely, that people are eating a lot more. And why are people eating a lot more? Food is cheaper, and there have been massive programs that reduce the amount of people who are literally starving.

And uh, are you really being dense enough to pretend people were eating more sourdough and less wonder bread in the past? 40s-60s American cuisine was full of the big scary "processed" stuff people blame, yet we're fat now, not then! Wake up and stop buying into fad diet crap. Take a look at 50s recipe books sometime, and then notice that in your grandparents' photo albums you can see them preparing that crap as well.

And no, "you are eating too much" IS the correct thing to tell a fat person. Because telling them "oh it's processing" or "oh it's gut flora" or "oh it's x major macronutrient" is all loving incorrect and useless to getting them on the path to losing weight. In all likelihood they can eat the exact same stuff they're eating right now, just less of it, and start losing weight. And the less you have to change the things they eat, the easier it is for them to stick with it, as opposed to putting them on fad diet #543884

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 15, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leave it to fishmech to discount scientific research published in Nature as "just a fad diet"

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

"NO YOU'RE WRONG WAKE UP FATTY, QUIT BEING AN IDIOT WITH SCIENCE AND poo poo"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any idea when Jrode is coming back? I'm starting to miss the miserable (melon) fucker just a little.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Any idea when Jrode is coming back? I'm starting to miss the miserable (melon) fucker just a little.

I miss being warm when I'm cold but I don't pray for a draught and a wild fire to compensate just because Eddie the clown only performs diaster-side once a year or two.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't talk to fishmech about food. He'll just twist and writhe for months to be technically correct because he is dealing with the 'perfect frictionless sphere' of social personhood while the rest of us look at things in real social context. This road has been gone down.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3752705&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#pti23

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nevvy Z posted:

Don't talk to fishmech

Fixed. When has engaging with him ever provided unique, insightful, or interesting results? Never.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

Leave it to fishmech to discount scientific research published in Nature as "just a fad diet"

The scientific research doesn't disagree that the primary problem in every single country that has gotten fat in recent decades in the vast increase in amount of food eaten. You can try to pussyfoot around it, you'll just be wrong.

Nevvy Z posted:

Don't talk to fishmech about food. He'll just twist and writhe for months to be technically correct because he is dealing with the 'perfect frictionless sphere' of social personhood while the rest of us look at things in real social context. This road has been gone down.

Yeah you refused to accept that the problem is eating too much food because it hurt your feelings. Much like praexologists and libertarians, people like you don't believe evidence is relevant to theories.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

The scientific research doesn't disagree that the primary problem in every single country that has gotten fat in recent decades in the vast increase in amount of food eaten. You can try to pussyfoot around it, you'll just be wrong.
According to Fishmech, the primary problem with death is that people die. We're trying to pussyfoot around the issue by bringing up cancer and guns and starvation and old age and so on, but Fishmech will have none of it: the problem with death is people dying. If we could only accept that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

Yeah you refused to accept that the problem is eating too much food because it hurt your feelings.

"I just got too reeeeeeeeaaaaaaal for you to handle, libtard. :smug:"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

I never disagreed that the primary problem is overeating you buffoon:

QuarkJets posted:

"It's simply that we eat too much" is a gross oversimplification, though. What you eat can play a big role in how you eat.

When all countries everywhere start to become obese, it's worth asking why. Did people just magically start eating more? We've had a food surplus for nearly a century, so mere availability to food is the ignorant and incorrect answer. The real answer, the scientifically observed and demonstrated answer, is that what you eat plays a big role in how much you eat, as the Nature article that I gave you points out if you'd bother to read it instead of calling it a diet fad.

Case in point: a thin woman given a transplant of gut microbes from her obese daughter quickly became obese. You can replicate the same effect in mice, so it's repeatable. Now it's possible that this woman simply decided to eat a lot more and gain 35 pounds on her own, independent of the transplant, but in the mice studies the diet is well-controlled so your impending accusation of "fat bitch just decided to become a fatty at random" is very likely incorrect. Seemingly our gut microbes determine both our metabolism and our hunger, and our gut microbiome is determined largely by what we we eat.

Therefore, "it's simply that we eat too much" is a gross oversimplification

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

If this thread is going to be full of gross oversimplifications from a gross simpleton, we might as well pick a more entertaining source.

Fluoridation Revisited
By Murray N. Rothbard
Originally published January 1993

Yes, I confess: I’m a veteran anti-fluoridationist, thereby – not for the first time – risking placing myself in the camp of “right-wing kooks and fanatics.” It has always been a bit of mystery to me why left-environmentalists, who shriek in horror at a bit of Alar on apples, who cry “cancer” even more absurdly than the boy cried “Wolf,” who hate every chemical additive known to man, still cast their benign approval upon fluoride, a highly toxic and probably carcinogenic substance. And not only let fluoride emissions off the hook, but endorse uncritically the massive and continuing dumping of fluoride into the nation’s water supply.

First: the generalized case for and against fluoridation of water. The case for is almost incredibly thin, boiling down to the alleged fact of substantial reductions in dental cavities in kids aged 5 to 9. Period. There are no claimed benefits for anyone older than nine! For this the entire adult population of a fluoridated area must be subjected to mass medication!

The case against, even apart from the specific evils of fluoride, is powerful and overwhelming.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"Only kids benefit from it! Kids! Who gives a poo poo about kids, they don't need teeth to work on the assembly line!"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Case in point: a thin woman given a transplant of gut microbes from her obese daughter quickly became obese. You can replicate the same effect in mice, so it's repeatable. Now it's possible that this woman simply decided to eat a lot more and gain 35 pounds on her own, independent of the transplant, but in the mice studies the diet is well-controlled so your impending accusation of "fat bitch just decided to become a fatty at random" is very likely incorrect. Seemingly our gut microbes determine both our metabolism and our hunger, and our gut microbiome is determined largely by what we we eat.
Can you post one of these mice studies?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

I never disagreed that the primary problem is overeating you buffoon:

When all countries everywhere start to become obese, it's worth asking why. Did people just magically start eating more?

There's nothing magical about food prices dropping, wages increasing, and social safety nets that help pay for food for the poor who were previously on the brink of starvation for decades being built. This is the problem with you people, you decide to overlook that because you want so desperately to believe there is The Bad Food responsible. There is a huge difference in common foods eaten across all of today's fat countries, it's clear that it isn't the specific food involved, merely the quantity.

You're focused on things that only affect a few people, when we're talking about things that affect close to a billion people's weight. Unless you're proposing there was some hidden plague of gut bacteria changing that happened to coincide with when wages went up, food prices went down, and social safety nets for food help were improved?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Nolanar posted:

If this thread is going to be full of gross oversimplifications from a gross simpleton, we might as well pick a more entertaining source.

Fluoridation Revisited
By Murray N. Rothbard
Originally published January 1993

Yes, I confess: I’m a veteran anti-fluoridationist, thereby – not for the first time – risking placing myself in the camp of “right-wing kooks and fanatics.” It has always been a bit of mystery to me why left-environmentalists, who shriek in horror at a bit of Alar on apples, who cry “cancer” even more absurdly than the boy cried “Wolf,” who hate every chemical additive known to man, still cast their benign approval upon fluoride, a highly toxic and probably carcinogenic substance. And not only let fluoride emissions off the hook, but endorse uncritically the massive and continuing dumping of fluoride into the nation’s water supply.

First: the generalized case for and against fluoridation of water. The case for is almost incredibly thin, boiling down to the alleged fact of substantial reductions in dental cavities in kids aged 5 to 9. Period. There are no claimed benefits for anyone older than nine! For this the entire adult population of a fluoridated area must be subjected to mass medication!

The case against, even apart from the specific evils of fluoride, is powerful and overwhelming.

Hold on, I need to go back through all my writing to find-and-replace 'fact' with 'alleged fact'

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

There's nothing magical about food prices dropping, wages increasing, and social safety nets that help pay for food for the poor who were previously on the brink of starvation for decades being built. This is the problem with you people, you decide to overlook that because you want so desperately to believe there is The Bad Food responsible. There is a huge difference in common foods eaten across all of today's fat countries, it's clear that it isn't the specific food involved, merely the quantity.

You're focused on things that only affect a few people, when we're talking about things that affect close to a billion people's weight. Unless you're proposing there was some hidden plague of gut bacteria changing that happened to coincide with when wages went up, food prices went down, and social safety nets for food help were improved?

Ok, but wages have been stagnating and food prices have been rising and welfare has become increasingly difficult to obtain, but we aren't seeing a drop in obesity rates. If you were actually right there should be a change to reflect these facts. It's... It's almost like there are other factors involved!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Who What Now posted:

Ok, but wages have been stagnating and food prices have been rising and welfare has become increasingly difficult to obtain, but we aren't seeing a drop in obesity rates. If you were actually right there should be a change to reflect these facts. It's... It's almost like there are other factors involved!

Food prices remain very low, among the lowest they've ever been in history. Wages remain more than high enough to buy a ton of food. Food stamp service is actually very widespread, even though other forms of welfare are criminally underfunded.

We're well past the point where food costs little enough for there to be a continued rise in obesity. Food would have to get significantly more expensive before the trend will reverse "on its own" through sheer lack of ability to afford food. Plus there's all the other places in the world where wages have continued to rise and welfare hasn't been cut who are also getting fat, it's not some problem that magically only exists in the US and Canada.

But hey keep believing this is all the fault of Evil Food (that no science can actually pin down in a consistent way)! If you're going to ignore evidence, why not also invest in these official Ron Paul gold certificates while you're at it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey, Fishmech, please quote me where I specifically said that over-eating wasn't a factor. If you're going to accuse me of doing that, obviously you must have seen me use those exact words, right? Don't worry, sport, I'll wait. :allears:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Who What Now posted:

Hey, Fishmech, please quote me where I specifically said that over-eating wasn't a factor. If you're going to accuse me of doing that, obviously you must have seen me use those exact words, right? Don't worry, sport, I'll wait. :allears:

For someone who doesn't believe it isn't a factor, you sure seem desperate to believe there's some other major cause so you don't have to admit it's the only true factor present in all countries affected by a flab-wave.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

For someone who doesn't believe it isn't a factor, you sure seem desperate to believe there's some other major cause so you don't have to admit it's the only true factor present in all countries affected by a flab-wave.

Yes, what with my one whole entire post on the subject and all.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
As much as fishmech acts like a corn lobbyist without the charm or tact, he's got a point. Have you ever looked at recipes from the '50s? Jesus Christ. But what has changed is portions and intake. Look at what is considered a single serving cookie or muffin, or how you get a literal quart of soda with your (now enormous) burger and fries. Caloric intake is the one variable that seems to apply in almost every case.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

"Overeating is a big factor" and "there are a lot of different things that lead to overeating, including diet" are not contradictory statements, but you sure seem hellbent on claiming that they are.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SedanChair posted:

As much as fishmech acts like a corn lobbyist without the charm or tact, he's got a point. Have you ever looked at recipes from the '50s? Jesus Christ. But what has changed is portions and intake. Look at what is considered a single serving cookie or muffin, or how you get a literal quart of soda with your (now enormous) burger and fries. Caloric intake is the one variable that seems to apply in almost every case.

No one is disagreeing with him, that's the hilarious part. "Yes fishmech, people are eating more and that's making them obese, but there are a lot more reasons for that than food availability"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

The balance between food calories eaten and calories expended due to moving is the heavily dominating factor. This does not have to be problematized, discussed, or ascribed as a view that particularly Fishmech holds. Everybody knows it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cingulate posted:

Can you post one of these mice studies?

I'm phoneposting for the rest of the day, so no. But they were pretty well-advertised in popsci magazines so I'm sure you can google them down

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

The balance between food calories eaten and calories expended due to moving is the heavily dominating factor. This does not have to be problematized, discussed, or ascribed as a view that particularly Fishmech holds. Everybody knows it.

I guess I had assumed that he admits the pressures of marketing on the consumer, but why would I assume that? I must have just fallen off the turnip truck.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

I'm phoneposting for the rest of the day, so no. But they were pretty well-advertised in popsci magazines so I'm sure you can google them down
I've so far not found anything I liked, and popsci is worse than religion.

SedanChair posted:

I guess I had assumed that he admits the pressures of marketing on the consumer, but why would I assume that? I must have just fallen off the turnip truck.
Fishmech's position is that you are stupid. It's not about food; it's about you. You are wrong about food. Fishmech is not wrong about food. It's you who is. For example, you believe in magic when it comes to eat. This can be easily proved in the following way. When Fishmech said "It's the calories in, calories out, stupid", you said something. Just anything. You should just have nodded silently. Since you didn't, you must disagree, and thus you disagree with the truth and are wrong and Fishmech is correct. Shut up already, magic-believer.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

Food prices remain very low, among the lowest they've ever been in history. Wages remain more than high enough to buy a ton of food. Food stamp service is actually very widespread, even though other forms of welfare are criminally underfunded.

We're well past the point where food costs little enough for there to be a continued rise in obesity. Food would have to get significantly more expensive before the trend will reverse "on its own" through sheer lack of ability to afford food. Plus there's all the other places in the world where wages have continued to rise and welfare hasn't been cut who are also getting fat, it's not some problem that magically only exists in the US and Canada.

But hey keep believing this is all the fault of Evil Food (that no science can actually pin down in a consistent way)! If you're going to ignore evidence, why not also invest in these official Ron Paul gold certificates while you're at it?

You're being awfully obstinate about how I'm "ignoring evidence" when A) you haven't actually provided any and B) you've dismissed the only scientific study posted in the thread, a Nature article on gut microbiomes, as being "a diet fad". And you've created so many strawman arguments that the room is beginning to reek

The average person in the US is poorer than ever, in real dollars, so why is that same person still getting fatter? If you were correct, and the reason is simply due to easier access to food, then obesity rates should have peaked sometime late last century instead of steadily growing throughout the last few decades. Also, if you were correct, then obesity would correlate with a person's wealth, yet that doesn't seem to be the case at all

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

Hmmm... this speculation on your part does not, in fact, look like an excerpt from some hypothetical Who What Now post denying anything, as was requested of you. Maybe you went too far out onto a limb and you should admit it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cingulate posted:

I've so far not found anything I liked, and popsci is worse than religion.

Try using "fecal transplant" in your searches, that's how gut microbiomes are transferred for now (my understanding is that the idea of transferring a gut microbiome is still pretty new, so just straight up transferring poop from one person to another is how it's done for now). As much as I hate reading science articles on a phone, here's one where some scientists basically transferred obesity traits from human donors (twins, one non-obese, one obese) into mice receivers via fecal transplant. Mice receiving the obese donor's poop became much fatter than mice receiving the non-obese donor's poop.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3829625/

Imo popsci can be pretty useful if you look past the headline and read the sources directly.