Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
What's a good use for solaris lorica? It seems like you need to be pretty rich to make it work for a low-life build, since those nodes past the CI node give so much ES, and it has no ES on it itself. Or am I wrong?

Also what are defensive options for witches/casters/int based characters? I have 1000 hours in HC in this game, but for some reason I cannot make it to cruel in this new league. Edit: Actually I guess MOM is the most obvious choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Mistress of Sacrifice with Bone Offering jumps out as pretty OK but I stumble along chugging potions :shrug:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

baby puzzle posted:

What's a good use for solaris lorica? It seems like you need to be pretty rich to make it work for a low-life build, since those nodes past the CI node give so much ES, and it has no ES on it itself. Or am I wrong?

Also what are defensive options for witches/casters/int based characters? I have 1000 hours in HC in this game, but for some reason I cannot make it to cruel in this new league. Edit: Actually I guess MOM is the most obvious choice.

I use EB/MoM and Enfeeble. I would never try it if I had to stay in melee, but if you stay mobile and have ranged spells/attacks it's pretty much enough coupled with flasks and maybe a little block from a caster shield. Vaal grace is also an amazing defensive boost for bosses or whenever you feel like you need an extra bit.

e: Here's my current skill tree I'm clearing T10 maps with. It's a pretty bog standard elemental hardcore caster tree with some trap stuff thrown in. Needs some fiddling around if you go crit.

Next 5 points are the fifth jewel at shadow trap nodes, and then the three points to alchemy at witch. Can push 6k life with all life jewels depending a bit on your equipment. I have one 0 life piece with the +curse ring and sitting at 5.4k right now.

e2: Also also if you're not running traps or totems consider vaal pact for an extra layer of survivability. You won't be able to get the zealot's oath + stone golem insanity with it, but the tradeoff is probably worth it if you can use vaal pact.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 15, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Solaris Lorica is for people too poor to afford Shavronne's that want to play low life anyways.

It doesn't really work because if you can't afford Shavronne's and lose 400 ES from that, just imagine what kind of ES gear you can actually afford in your other slots and then extrapolate that out to ~1000 ES on gear = 7500 ES on the final character.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Oh yeah, my real issue with defenses is thinking I need armor, but having a hard time getting blue sockets on things that have armor.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just hit act 3 cruel and im thinking its about time i started looking for gear i am going to use for awhile and actually get the links i need for my build. i assume the best way to do this is to find a rare/unique i like and then hit it with jews and chromes and fuses until i get what i need? i have a tabula for my 6 link damage but i need two or three 4 links that i dont have yet

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, that's what it LOOKS like you're supposed to do, but it is actually very much not what you should do. Instead you should buy the pieces that are way better than what you're likely to make for yourself for 1c each (if that). If you have no chaos drops so far then maybe you can get someone to take fusings/jeweler's for them. You'd be shocked how cheap people sell things for vs. how much you'll spend trying to make stuff even half as good. Even uniques, look on poe.trade and see what linked ones sell for.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Setting up for that CI CoC Trickster build Rodent was talking about earlier. Can't get the tree you linked to work, but this is what I'm thinking it'll look like lategame: http://www.pathofexile.com/fullscre...3zv6_DV8uH5pPv1

Is there anything glaringly obvious I'm missing here? I figure since I made the tree it'll probably be bad and dumb :ohdear:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Flesh Forge posted:

No, that's what it LOOKS like you're supposed to do, but it is actually very much not what you should do. Instead you should buy the pieces that are way better than what you're likely to make for yourself for 1c each (if that). If you have no chaos drops so far then maybe you can get someone to take fusings/jeweler's for them. You'd be shocked how cheap people sell things for vs. how much you'll spend trying to make stuff even half as good. Even uniques, look on poe.trade and see what linked ones sell for.

so what the hell do i do with all these chromes ive been saving up? trade up until i get to high tier moneys?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

you can trade them for better currency, but I have found, personally, that I simply cannot ever have enough loving chromes

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Awesome! posted:

so what the hell do i do with all these chromes ive been saving up? trade up until i get to high tier moneys?

I always keep a bunch of stacks around, just for rerolling bad map mods on lower level maps.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think you're on about Alts. And to be honest, most mods on low level maps are not scary in the slightest.

I love having chromes around, they're one of the things you never worry about until you realise you are totally hosed without a bunch. Keep a big stash around every time you intend on upgrading gear.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Chromes, whetstones, and baubles all make sense to actually use for yourself (though for baubles you're probably better off using them on a white flask before you try to roll it unless you happen to find a seething staunching flask or something).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Gear and passives

Working on finishing out Templar area (I prioritised Shadow earlier because I needed dex on gear).

How are you liking the power charges and I assume you got +1 power charge in merciless, I feel like crits are probably the best way to increase spell damage, just curious how much crit you have on blade vortex with controlled destruction and your max power charges?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Last I checked, I had somewhere around 55-60% crit chance with full power charges. On the other hand, I'm starved for crit multiplier, but that has to wait until I'm in my 90s: I need to first cap out my block.

Power charge generation is super easy, when running through packs, I charge up my primary blade vortex, and occasionally tap my secondary blade vortex linked with power charge on crit, curse on hit, and assassin's mark. This acts like a semi-automated curse setup.

These days, I'm actually wondering if going crit was the right choice, maybe I should have scaled with poison. Because that scales with skill duration nodes. Also, the spirit eater ascendancy node doesn't activate if you shatter a corpse.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
What's a fun build that I can set up for a friend who hasn't played? We might not end up getting into maps so it doesn't have to be late game viable I'd just like it to be enjoyable.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ada posted:

What's a fun build that I can set up for a friend who hasn't played? We might not end up getting into maps so it doesn't have to be late game viable I'd just like it to be enjoyable.

Quill rain + explosive arrow
Earthquaker
Lightning or Ice Trapper

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ada posted:

This has been my first character and I've been enjoying this tanky gladiator spec: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/868996/page/1

It's all face tanking and smashing melee damage.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Champion EQ seems like a great starter for someone new.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fuckin Steam taking an hour to apply a 1.1mb patch, I really have to get away from that.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

theshim posted:

Setting up for that CI CoC Trickster build Rodent was talking about earlier. Can't get the tree you linked to work, but this is what I'm thinking it'll look like lategame: http://www.pathofexile.com/fullscre...3zv6_DV8uH5pPv1

Is there anything glaringly obvious I'm missing here? I figure since I made the tree it'll probably be bad and dumb :ohdear:

Just follow bakedchicken's tree:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...vId8uH5N_mk-_U=

Or the one Kobe used, they're mostly the same http://poeurl.com/zL7

bakedchicken's uses Enlighten with double purities to play more defensive for -resist maps, that's why he takes the aura nodes up by CI and one additional aura node by necromantic aegis. I think Kobe used herald of ice and blasphemie'd assassin's mark instead of double purities.

Both of these are assuming you have a voll's devotion and you'll want to even out your power/endurance charges at 6 each if that's the case, so don't worry about the +endurance charge nodes until you have that. Once you do, you'll need to get 1 from Oak, 1 from tree with intuitive leap, and one from a corrupted belt with +1 max endurance charge implicit.

weinus fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 15, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Last I checked, I had somewhere around 55-60% crit chance with full power charges. On the other hand, I'm starved for crit multiplier, but that has to wait until I'm in my 90s: I need to first cap out my block.

Power charge generation is super easy, when running through packs, I charge up my primary blade vortex, and occasionally tap my secondary blade vortex linked with power charge on crit, curse on hit, and assassin's mark. This acts like a semi-automated curse setup.

These days, I'm actually wondering if going crit was the right choice, maybe I should have scaled with poison. Because that scales with skill duration nodes. Also, the spirit eater ascendancy node doesn't activate if you shatter a corpse.

What about that physical+chaos damage cluster up above Doomcast? would that be a worthwhile investment in place of crit?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Cadiro just sold me a 188/40/14 Belly of the Beast for 893 coins. I feel like that was worth the coins!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

weinus posted:

Just follow bakedchicken's tree:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...vId8uH5N_mk-_U=

Or the one Kobe used, they're mostly the same http://poeurl.com/zL7

bakedchicken's uses Enlighten with double purities to play more defensive for -resist maps, that's why he takes the aura nodes up by CI and one additional aura node by necromantic aegis. I think Kobe used herald of ice and blasphemie'd assassin's mark instead of double purities.

Both of these are assuming you have a voll's devotion and you'll want to even out your power/endurance charges at 6 each if that's the case, so don't worry about the +endurance charge nodes until you have that. Once you do, you'll need to get 1 from Oak, 1 from tree with intuitive leap, and one from a corrupted belt with +1 max endurance charge implicit.
Huh, I couldn't get Kobe's tree to work last night for some reason, weird.

Cool to see that I'm mostly on the same page as far as the build goes. I'm unlikely to ever get a Voll's Devotion, but the rest of it is pretty straightforward. I'll check out their links and auras later, though the important parts seem to be unchanged (Cyclone - CoC - Discharge - Increased Crit - Blade Vortex - lol6link, Warlord's Mark on Blasphemy, Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify).

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Huh, looks like the "explodes corpses"-box modifier has been buffed somewhere down the line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBdkL87IyJY

I remember these things just popping the bodies right next to the box, not causing a nuclear chain reaction ("Armageddon treasury", indeed). Oh well; first rip of the season, went further than expected!

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
That's how it's always worked. It's basically Vaal DD which explodes dead mobs in a chain reaction until it runs out of bodies. It doesn't care if the monsters were in the box or not. You just had a ton of bodies everywhere.

Just a reminder that carrying around a low level offering skill is a good idea on HC.
Alternatively, never open boxes it's just not worth it.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Play crit builds and shatter everything because carrying offering skills is stupid and dumb and skipping a box is blasphemous.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

climboutonalimb posted:

That's how it's always worked. It's basically Vaal DD which explodes dead mobs in a chain reaction until it runs out of bodies. It doesn't care if the monsters were in the box or not. You just had a ton of bodies everywhere.

Just a reminder that carrying around a low level offering skill is a good idea on HC.
Alternatively, never open boxes it's just not worth it.

Must have gotten lucky before, then - I've rarely even noticed the corpse explosion before, this is the first time I've had it do significant damage. Live and learn, next time I'll know better.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Or you could just open the box and move away from it for a bit- it can only explode the corpses once. Just use your movement skill/quicksilver and wait for the boom

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a ratcheting sound that is like a mechanical egg timer it makes before it goes off, if you kids didn't have your drat rap music turned up so loud maybe you could hear it :corsair:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

What kind of scrub plays with the game sound turned on? Mine's all muted except the loot filter sound effects so I know when I get currency.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flNb4ZuoKFc

So how about a 210% life HC CoC juggernaut?

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I'm sure this has been tried and would be common knowledge if it was possible but it just occurred to me at work and i cant test it at the moment. has any one tried using currency on unopened perandus chests?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Before I waste more time on my freeze pulse shadow does frost bomb let you apply curses through the debuff pulses?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do they usually start a new league right away when one ends?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
theorycrafting and build help time! I'm currently playing ED/Contagion Occultist in softcore and am heavily considering buying a Shav's and transitioning into some sort of low-life thing. Not only have I never played low life or CI, I also don't really modify my plans beyond what forum threads tell me to build, because I am timid and unambitious. Here's what my skill tree looks like right now, at level 85. My defenses are kind of weirdly spread out because in the last 10 levels or so I started taking ES nodes instead of life, since I figured I would switch over.

After changing things up I think it could look something more like this. Getting rid of life nodes and the stuff in Templar (which is mostly life and some +area stuff which only affects Contagion damage) lets me grab Pain Attunement/ZO and the Foresight and Unnatural Calm ES wheels, and make inroads towards Void Barrier. I'm thinking I could maybe put an Energy from Within jewel down by the Melding cluster to squeeze more ES out if I need to.

ALTERNATELY, I could do something more like this, using an Energy from Within to turn the life from Cruel Preparation (and maybe in three levels Heart and Soul) into ES.

As far as Ascendancy is concerned, swapping out Malediction for Wicked Ward seems obvious, but I think Profane Bloom is too awesome to change for Vile Bastion. I am a softcore baby so how important could it possibly be??

I'm planning on running Discipline, Vitality and Arctic Armor on life out of a Prism Guardian, and my two Blasphemy curses on mana; as far as I can tell the only other useful aura is Grace and I don't think I can quite afford that without leveling an Enlighten or picking up mana reservation nodes somewhere (which seems excessive?). Switch my Chaos Golem out for Stone and I think that's all the changes I need to make, besides getting the gear of course. What do more experienced nerds think of my plans?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Awesome! posted:

sometimes(usually?) theres a week or two between. i think that's the case with the longer leagues at least.. i forget what they did between 1 months.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

Awesome! posted:

Depends on what they have lined up next and if it's ready or not. Iirc, there have been a few one week races and at least one one month race in between past seasons.

It really blows my mind people are asking about the next season after two weeks of this one. (Someone in gchat asked when the next season started after at most, 5 days into the current one)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im not like itching for the next one to start or anything. im just curious about how they schedule these things since its my first time playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

climboutonalimb posted:

I'm sure this has been tried and would be common knowledge if it was possible but it just occurred to me at work and i cant test it at the moment. has any one tried using currency on unopened perandus chests?

I'll try it.

• Locked thread